Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eagles_crazy

Schefter: Gross close to long-term deal + Peppers to get tag

The Panthers have reportedly made "significant progress" in talks with free agent Jordan Gross, and an announcement could potentially come by Thursday.

The deal is expected to be worth $9M annually. An agreement will allow the Panthers to slap the franchise tag on fellow free agent Julius Peppers and shop him for draft picks. Extending Gross, however, was always the priority.

The eagles should just resign Tra Thomas, and draft a RT with one of their first round draft picks.

We all know the cards will try their best to keep Boldin, and if they do it will more likely be to a AFC team if possible.

I doubt the eagles want TJ.

I think Vernon Carey is a good second option at tackle since Gross will most likely not be signed. He is young and up and coming. Plus he would be much cheaper then Gross anyway. I have read on multiple sites he is a good fit for the Eagles and could be a Runyan type signing for the Eagles. He has a mean streak that Reid likes and he is versatile also a Reid quality in linemen.

I said this would happen the other day. The Eagles will have $40+ million but there might not be gret big name players on the market. I still would be thrilled if the Eagles sign Vernon Carey, OT from Miami and Jason Brown the center from the Ravens. Both would be good additions to our line and improve it and make it younger.

Well there are other options. I just dont know how many of these guys were re-signed before this report was made:

C- Matt Birk and jeff Saturday

G- Mike Goff

T- Vernon Carey, Khaliff Barnes, and Mark Tausher

Carey would be the most logical choice, but we arent limited in who we could try to bring in.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/fa/ol.html

I said this would happen the other day. The Eagles will have $40+ million but there might not be gret big name players on the market. I still would be thrilled if the Eagles sign Vernon Carey, OT from Miami and Jason Brown the center from the Ravens. Both would be good additions to our line and improve it and make it younger.

Carey is ok, but I rather have Tra, then overpay for a avg tackle.

IMO Jason Brown gets franchised by Balt., after they work out a longterm deal with Lewis.

Well there are other options. I just dont know how many of these guys were re-signed before this report was made:

C- Matt Birk and jeff Saturday

G- Mike Goff

T- Vernon Carey, Khaliff Barnes, and Mark Tausher

Carey would be the most logical choice, but we arent limited in who we could try to bring in.

I would look to sign Goff, then slide herremans out to LT and draft a RT.

IMO Jason Brown gets franchised by Balt., after they work out a longterm deal with Lewis.

Eh. As much as I love what Thomas did for the eagles, it's time to move on. He got absolutely beat against the cardinals. Time for a youth movement at the OT position.

I'm just sitting here laughing to myself at how the Eagles bookend tackles are all but washed up and they have no replacements other than King Dunlap and Winston Justice.

For our own sake, and my sanity, I hope to God they have better options come July.

You won't win a championship by being cheap.

And now the panic begins................ <_<

Oh noooozzzzz!!! We won't sign anybody!

*slits wrists*

You won't win a championship by being cheap.

The steelers did. The giants did the year before them. The colts did the year before that. The steelers did the year before that. The patriots have and the one time they went on a spending spree they lost the superbowl to a team that was cheap in the offseason.

Last time I checked, the teams that consistently win the FA spending spree are on the outside looking in come playoff time.

He is restricted anyway, so he wont get franchised.

I would look to sign Goff, then slide herremans out to LT and draft a RT.

I like Birk, he is a mauler, that can get the eagles tough yards up the middle when they do decide to run.

Barnes can run block but stink at pass blocking which isn't a good combination for a team that passes the ball 60% of the time.

Goff is 33 years old.

I like Birk too and Saturday at C. I would not mind the eagles signing either of these guys. Then the eagles can slide jackson over the guard and then slide herremans out to tackle.

In another thread, I read just the opposite about barnes. He is good pass blocker but not a good run blocker. I don't know what to believe.

I did not know that about Goff. I wouldn't mind the eagles signing him, however. You can sign him to 3-4 year deal which won't kill the cap if he doesn't play well and gets cut after 2 years and either draft a guy or look to replace him with a guy like mcglynn down the road.

The Jaguars averaged 6.04 yards per carry running off left tackle in 2008, the second best mark in the league.

Free agent LT Khalif Barnes isn't expected back, but he's still good on run blocks. Pass protection woes will keep Barnes' price down. He could kick to right tackle for his next team or stay on the left in a run-heavy offense.

He is restricted anyway, so he wont get franchised.

theres debate on whether he is a RFA or not. Either way he isn't leaving Balt. without giving up at least a 1st round pick.

The steelers did. The giants did the year before them. The colts did the year before that. The steelers did the year before that. The patriots have and the one time they went on a spending spree they lost the superbowl to a team that was cheap in the offseason.

Last time I checked, the teams that consistently win the FA spending spree are on the outside looking in come playoff time.

Those teams all had some great drafts, and a good eye for cheap free agent talent.