Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eagles_crazy

Schefter: Gross close to long-term deal + Peppers to get tag

I like Birk, he is a mauler, that can get the eagles tough yards up the middle when they do decide to run.

Barnes can run block but stink at pass blocking which isn't a good combination for a team that passes the ball 60% of the time.

Goff is 33 years old.

I like Birk too and Saturday at C. I would not mind the eagles signing either of these guys. Then the eagles can slide jackson over the guard and then slide herremans out to tackle.

In another thread, I read just the opposite about barnes. He is good pass blocker but not a good run blocker. I don't know what to believe.

I did not know that about Goff. I wouldn't mind the eagles signing him, however. You can sign him to 3-4 year deal which won't kill the cap if he doesn't play well and gets cut after 2 years and either draft a guy or look to replace him with a guy like mcglynn down the road.

Those teams all had some great drafts, and a good eye for cheap free agent talent.

They did, which proved my point you don't need to spend a lot to win a championship. I was saying this to contradict another poster who said that being cheap doesn't win championships.

The Jaguars averaged 6.04 yards per carry running off left tackle in 2008, the second best mark in the league.

Free agent LT Khalif Barnes isn't expected back, but he's still good on run blocks. Pass protection woes will keep Barnes' price down. He could kick to right tackle for his next team or stay on the left in a run-heavy offense.

Ok then. I was just saying what I read in another thread. He would be a cheaper option, but if he isn't good at pass blocking, he will not do well on this team.

I say go for Mark Tauscher

he tore his acl last year, rather have runyan coming have knee surgey. The next 3 days will be critical so im hoping the panthers and gross stalemate

Ok then. I was just saying what I read in another thread. He would be a cheaper option, but if he isn't good at pass blocking, he will not do well on this team.

NP I was just posting a clip from a blog to support where i got my info.

I still don't understand why the eagles just won't resign Tra?

Gross made sense, bc Gross was a very good pass blocker, and younger then Tra, but the other options have much more question marks and more likely won't give you the as much bang for your buck as Tra.

Peppers would cost them like 17 million if they franchise him. He doesn't want to be franchised either so they might not...

Damn. Shefter is usually one of the better ones at reporting news.

just like the eagles will sign mike doss and sammy knight and trade for ashley lelie

he tore his acl last year, rather have runyan coming have knee surgey. The next 3 days will be critical so im hoping the panthers and gross stalemate

He tore his ACL? I didn't know that, forget him then. :whistle:

Peppers would cost them like 17 million if they franchise him. He doesn't want to be franchised either so they might not...

They'll franchsie then trade him, much like the chiefs did last year with their pro bowl DE Jared Allen. Last year the chiefs got a 1st and a third for Allen, so that will at least be the starting bid for Peppers.

I never expected Gross to shake loose, but I do think Peppers won't be franchised.

Of Course he will be franchised.

why wouldn't he be???

Why wouldn't the panthers franchise and trade him to the highest bidder like the chiefs did with DE J Allen?

The panthers could get at least a 1st and 3rd rounder for peppers.

NP I was just posting a clip from a blog to support where i got my info.

I still don't understand why the eagles just won't resign Tra?

Gross made sense, bc Gross was a very good pass blocker, and younger then Tra, but the other options have much more question marks and more likely won't give you the as much bang for your buck as Tra.

If Tra is the best option out there, great, re-sign him then. But he will be 35 next season and has had a bad back for a long time. He looked slow and old against arizona in the playoffs. Gross would be a great move if he is available. Carey I wouldn't mind, or Tauscher, or signing a guard and moving herremans over to LT.

Of Course he will be franchised.

why wouldn't he be???

Why wouldn't the panthers franchise and trade him to the highest bidder like the chiefs did with DE J Allen?

The panthers could get at least a 1st and 3rd rounder for peppers.

No, they really couldn't. I don't think that pathetic franchise has the balls to be honest. If there are no takers then it would cost them a huge amount of money. I just don't think a second rate small market franchise like Carolina has the balls to make that kind of bold move.

They wouldn't get that much in a deal either. They have no leverage.

No, they really couldn't. I don't think that pathetic franchise has the balls to be honest. If there are no takers then it would cost them a huge amount of money. I just don't think a second rate small market franchise like Carolina has the balls to make that kind of bold move.

what are you talking about?

Carolina can franchise him and trade him for anything they want.

The chiefs got a 1st and 3rd for Jared Allen last year, and you think that Carolina can't get that for Peppers?

Its nothing bold about the move. Thats just silly. Carolina had no problem using their franchise tag on Gross last year.

Carolina has all the leverage, they have the rights to one of the best DE's in football.

If Tra is the best option out there, great, re-sign him then. But he will be 35 next season and has had a bad back for a long time. He looked slow and old against arizona in the playoffs. Gross would be a great move if he is available. Carey I wouldn't mind, or Tauscher, or signing a guard and moving herremans over to LT.

Sacks Allowed

LT

1. Ryan Clady (Broncos) 0.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)

2. Michael Roos (Titans) 1.0 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*

3. Tra Thomas (Eagles) 2.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)

3. Orlando Pace (Rams) 2.0 sacks allowed (14 starts)

5. Jake Long (Dolphins) 2.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)

6. Jordan Gross (Panthers) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts) *PRO-BOWL*

6. Jammal Brown (Saints) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts)

6. Jared Gaither (Ravens) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts)

6. Marcus McNeill (Chargers) 3.0 sacks allowed (14 starts)

6. Tony Ugoh (Colts) 3.0 sacks allowed (12 starts)

6. Chris Samuels (Redskins) 3.0 sacks allowed (12 starts) *PRO-BOWL*

6. Todd Weiner (Falcons) 3.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)

13. Walter Jones (Seahawks) 3.5 sacks allowed (12 starts) *PRO-BOWL*

14. D’Brickashaw Ferguson (Jets) 4.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)

14. Bryant McKinnie (Vikings) 4.0 sacks allowed (12 starts)

14. Max Starks (Steelers) 4.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)

17. Joe Thomas (Browns) 4.5 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*

17. Branden Albert (Cheifs) 4.5 sacks allowed (15 starts)

19. Levi Brown (Bengals) 5.5 sacks allowed (11 starts)

20. Mike Gandy (Cardinals) 6.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)

21. David Diehl (Giants) 6.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)

22. Flozell Adams (Cowboys) 7.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)

23. Khalif Barnes (Jags) 7.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)

23. Matt Light (Pats) 7.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)

23. Chad Clifton (Packers) 7.5 sacks allowed (15 starts)

23. Kwame Harris (Raiders) 7.5 sacks allowed (11 starts)

27. Joe Staley (49ers) 8.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)

28. Donald Penn (Bucs) 8.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)

29. Jeff Backus (Lions) 9.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)

30. John St. Clair (Bears) 9.75 sacks allowed (16 starts)

31. Duane Brown (Texans) 11.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)

31. Jason Peters (Bills) 11.5 sacks allowed (13 starts)

what are you talking about?

Carolina can franchise him and trade him for anything they want.

The chiefs got a 1st and 3rd for Jared Allen last year, and you think that Carolina can't get that for Peppers?

Its nothing bold about the move. Thats just silly. Carolina had no problem using their franchise tag on Gross last year.

Carolina has all the leverage, they have the rights to one of the best DE's in football.

Carolina won't get what Jared Allen got, because Allen is a much better player and Peppers is inconsistent. Also people around the NFL think Peppers gets a lot of coverage sacks. Peppers is a very good DE, but he is not top 5. He is not worth a 1 and a 3 and no one will give that up for him.

Carolina won't get what Jared Allen got, because Allen is a much better player and Peppers is inconsistent. Also people around the NFL think Peppers gets a lot of coverage sacks. Peppers is a very good DE, but he is not top 5. He is not worth a 1 and a 3 and no one will give that up for him.

Whatever.

J Allen also had a strike against him because of his drinking problem and still the chiefs got a 1st and a 3rd.

Carolina will get a 1st and a 3rd easy.

Small markets don't mean anything in a sport with a salary cap. Each team has the same amount of money to spend. This isn't like baseball where if the pirates or royals spend huge money on a player they are strapped for cash because they aren't making any money.

I do think it would be a bold move by the panthers, but I also do think there would be takers. A team like the jets would definitely spend a 1st and 3rd on a guy like peppers.

For the sakes of eagle fans right :lol:

need some hope so that we can dream of getting at least one of them

they changed the name of the thread. Shefter just said theres been progress and theyre not close, please change the thread title a bit

they changed the name of the thread. Shefter just said theres been progress and theyre not close, please change the thread title a bit

For the sakes of eagle fans right :lol:

Whatever.

J Allen also had a strike against him because of his drinking problem and still the chiefs got a 1st and a 3rd.

Carolina will get a 1st and a 3rd easy.

I highly doubt they get a first and a third. Maybe a late first and that is it. I even question that. Allen's drinking problem was long behind him anyway and he was convincing in that. It isn't an issue anymore and he showed great progress. No teams were even concerned about it in the slightest. Which is why the Chiefs got what they wanted for him.

Plus everyone knows Carolina isn't going to keep him, because they won't take on the salary of a franchised DE. Also Peppers will just complain and hold out until they do trade him. Peppers won't be there next year no matter what. So Carolina has no bargaining stance.

If Carolina franchises him, there will probably be a stalemate for a long time and then they will end up lifting the tag like the Eagles did with Simon. Or they won't get what they ask for.