Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eagles_crazy

Schefter: Gross close to long-term deal + Peppers to get tag

Well there are other options. I just dont know how many of these guys were re-signed before this report was made:

C- Matt Birk and jeff Saturday

G- Mike Goff

T- Vernon Carey, Khaliff Barnes, and Mark Tausher

Carey would be the most logical choice, but we arent limited in who we could try to bring in.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/fa/ol.html

Three of those players are ancient and/or coming off MAJOR injuries.

Three of those players are ancient and/or coming off MAJOR injuries.

True but Carey is only 28 and he didn't have an injury. Many websites that I have read think he could become a very good tackle and is going to be much cheaper then Gross. Also, Chris Steuber thinks the Eagles are targeting him, if Gross doesn't hit the market. I think Carey is a great option at RT.

If peppers does get franchised I will be pissed if the Eagles make a trade for him.... I say that because he will be due to make $16 plus million after he gets tagged and the Eagles would be forced to absorb that into this years salary cap... the Eagles don't need another defensive end we could use that money in a lot of other places ...... but if he makes it to free agency with no strings attached I would be all for taking a run at signing him for a long term reasonable deal

Small markets don't mean anything in a sport with a salary cap. Each team has the same amount of money to spend. This isn't like baseball where if the pirates or royals spend huge money on a player they are strapped for cash because they aren't making any money.

I do think it would be a bold move by the panthers, but I also do think there would be takers. A team like the jets would definitely spend a 1st and 3rd on a guy like peppers.

well that is kinda of true...... you ever here about salary cap manipulation? Meaning that teams often spend a lot more for there players then what the salary cap number really is ..... so a smaller market team wouldn't be as likely to do this as larger market teams..... also teams don't always spend the max allowed for example the Cardinals have been known in the past not to even come with in millions of the limit..... plus smaller market teams spend less on training, coaches, health care, facilities simply b/c they dont get the same income

The steelers did. The giants did the year before them. The colts did the year before that. The steelers did the year before that. The patriots have and the one time they went on a spending spree they lost the superbowl to a team that was cheap in the offseason.

Last time I checked, the teams that consistently win the FA spending spree are on the outside looking in come playoff time.

amen, brother

The Panthers have reportedly made "significant progress" in talks with free agent Jordan Gross, and an announcement could potentially come by Thursday.

The deal is expected to be worth $9M annually. An agreement will allow the Panthers to slap the franchise tag on fellow free agent Julius Peppers and shop him for draft picks. Extending Gross, however, was always the priority.

The eagles should just resign Tra Thomas, and draft a RT with one of their first round draft picks.

We all know the cards will try their best to keep Boldin, and if they do it will more likely be to a AFC team if possible.

I doubt the eagles want TJ.

...that was a very depressing post

Sacks Allowed

31. Jason Peters (Bills) 11.5 sacks allowed (13 starts)

Can you imagine that this fraud made it to Pro Bowl as a starter? Tells you pretty much about that competition...

Maybe the FO shouldn't have waited so long to start looking for suitable replacements for our bookends.

Bustice??? Give me an effing break.

I'm calling Bullsh-- on this report.

the panthers haven't been able to sign this guy to LT contract for 2 years now. Last year he got the franchise tag if I remember correctly,with the agreement that he wouldn't get it this year.

Now they are going to sign him within a few days of him hitting the market.....no, I'm not buying it.

I think schefter is getting his info ONLY from the team source.....

If peppers does get franchised I will be pissed if the Eagles make a trade for him.... I say that because he will be due to make $16 plus million after he gets tagged and the Eagles would be forced to absorb that into this years salary cap... the Eagles don't need another defensive end we could use that money in a lot of other places ...... but if he makes it to free agency with no strings attached I would be all for taking a run at signing him for a long term reasonable deal

Not true.

Peppers is on the books for 16 or 17 million once Carolina tags him. However, he's not paid that amount until he signs the tender. If he were traded he would sign a new contract with his new team and the 16 or 17 million for this year would be gone.

Not true.

Peppers is on the books for 16 or 17 million once Carolina tags him. However, he's not paid that amount until he signs the tender. If he were traded he would sign a new contract with his new team and the 16 or 17 million for this year would be gone.

He could just throw it back in the Panthers' face and sign the tender. He's made it clear that he doesn't want to be in Carolina next season and if Carolina is going to tag him and thus steal his opportunity at exploring the open market, it would serve them right for him to sign the tender and screw their cap up.

I think if Peppers shows a willingness to sign a tender if offered, the Panthers might think twice about actually tagging him. $16M-$17M is a hell of a lot for one player.

As for Gross, I keep hearing about this clause that the Panthers can't tag him but I can't find any proof of this anywhere. Does anyone have a link?

As for Gross, I keep hearing about this clause that the Panthers can't tag him but I can't find any proof of this anywhere. Does anyone have a link?

I live in NC, and, although I didn't read it anywhere, I heard it on sports talk radio down here.

That's not exactly great info, but they haven't tagged him yet......

The Panthers have reportedly made "significant progress" in talks with free agent Jordan Gross, and an announcement could potentially come by Thursday.

The deal is expected to be worth $9M annually. An agreement will allow the Panthers to slap the franchise tag on fellow free agent Julius Peppers and shop him for draft picks. Extending Gross, however, was always the priority.

The eagles should just resign Tra Thomas, and draft a RT with one of their first round draft picks.

We all know the cards will try their best to keep Boldin, and if they do it will more likely be to a AFC team if possible.

I doubt the eagles want TJ.

The deadline to tag a player is Thursday. If it comes at all, it will be by Thursday.

As for the overall report, this is not unexpected, albeit disappointing.

Why? Both would be huge upgrades.

Because he might have to scrub them in the shower room after each game. I hear Peppers particularly gets fromunder cheese and takes extra long to clean.

Because he might have to scrub them in the shower room after each game. I hear Peppers particularly gets fromunder cheese and takes extra long to clean.

That's......nice to hear....?

I'm wondering if Jordan Gross is the new Ryan Fowler. An okay player that the EMB hypes up to epic proportions for God knows what reason.

I'm wondering if Jordan Gross is the new Ryan Fowler. An okay player that the EMB hypes up to epic proportions for God knows what reason.

Ummm no one hyped up Ryan Fowler to be a great player. Gross went to a pro bowl and Fowler didn't. Gross is considered by analysts and GMs around the league as a top player at his position. Fowler was just a decent pick up. Gross is an awesome player, there is no hyping him up, the dude can play.

He's not. I see him play every week (I live a couple hours from Charlotte). The guy is good and deserved his Pro Bowl berth this year.

BTW, he's missed 1 game in 6 years.

That is just not a feasible comparison at all.