Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JBENT87

I wish Tony Dungy would STFU already

I have said it before and i'll say it again, I don't care for Dungy. He is a bigot. Only his opinion matters and he crams reglion, race and his beliefs down people's throats any chance he can get and in almost every interview (go back to SB week and I guarantee race or religion were used the same number of times the F word was in Scarface). I know many people like Dungy and he comes off as a nice guy but I could care less about him preaching about his views on religion, race. The world has too many bigot t.v. preachers as it is. It has nothing to do with Dungy's race. If he were white, Asian, Mexican etc I still would feel the same towards him.

I just don't see Dungy as the saint and class act that some do. I can't see how people buy into his b.s. about being a good parent when he neglected his son who ended up killing himself. I don't see how a class act supports right-wing anti-gay charities like Dungy has. Dungy needs to stick to football, something he was good at instead of trying to be everyone's savior.

25 July 2007

Coach Tony Dungy Sits Down with Anti-Gay Dr. James Dobson

Last spring, Indianapolis Colts Coach Tony Dungy—who had recently become the first black coach to win a Super Bowl—was criticized for appearing at fundraiser for a conservative Christian group that opposed gay rights and same-sex marriage.

During the off-season, Dungy's appearances with the Christian right-wing are attracting less attention. Recently the coach sat down for a three-part interview with Dr. James Dobson, the rabidly anti-gay founder of the Focus on the Family. "I've always listened to your show," the coach tells the right-wing demagogue, explaining that he has listened since the 1980s.

Dobson was so impressed with Dungy's devotion to the Focus on the Family that he promised to "set [him] up with an iPod and all of our shows."

- Won close to 60% of his starts

- Won multiple playoff games, including taking a team to an NFC title Game

- Is the best athlete to ever play the position

- You know this is a team game right? Vick didn't win those games by himself and alot of the time hurt his team because he is a awful passer. He's paid to play QB, something he's not good at. Vick has started 67 games and has only FIVE WINS against teams with winning records. Vince Young btw is 18-11 as a starter with very simular numbers as what Vick is capable of. Want to praise him too?

- Vick has appeared in 4 playoff games: 2td/3int/1fumble. He was the biggest reason for their seasons to come to an end both playoff trips (both to the Eagles): 58.4 rating/0td/2int, 46.5 rating/0td/1int

- Ever heard of Randall Cunningham? He could actually win games with his arm and is a borderline HOF QB. He was the NFL MVP. 29979 passing/207td, 4928 rushing/35td. Randall paved the way for players like Vick and Young but was also a far better than Vick or Young will ever be.

Walt is just taking a stand against these "liberal, PC, hippies". Who does Tony Dungy think he is, helping out a black guy? If Vick were white and Tony were white, this would be okay. But since they're both black, there's obviously some kind of conspiracy going on.

Maybe if Dungy didn't throw a fit with T.O. talking with a white woman in a MNF skit (again Lovie Smith thought Dungy went overboard with his cries of racism) it wouldn't be a problem. If Dungy makes Vick a better person than so be it but what has Dungy done to make him the savior to everyone's problems?

Vick isn't the only football player with problems. If you want to help troubled players there are TONS more than Michael Vick but the thing is, they are not big names. Vick is helping Dungy spread his message. Look at how many times Dungy has been interviewed. In the preseason game they didn't talk to Bruce Smith. Spent 10 seconds on Derrick Thomas but 30 minutes in the booth with Dungy talking about Vick. How ironic is it that Dungy released a book around the time he started advising Vick? Vick is going to help him sell alot more books. In fact on Mike and Mike he talked about his book.

Maybe if Dungy didn't throw a fit with T.O. talking with a white woman in a MNF skit (again Lovie Smith thought Dungy went overboard with his cries of racism) it wouldn't be a problem. If Dungy makes Vick a better person than so be it but what has Dungy done to make him the savior to everyone's problems?

Vick isn't the only football player with problems. If you want to help troubled players there are TONS more than Michael Vick but the thing is, they are not big names. Vick is helping Dungy spread his message. Look at how many times Dungy has been interviewed. In the preseason game they didn't talk to Bruce Smith. Spent 10 seconds on Derrick Thomas but 30 minutes in the booth with Dungy talking about Vick. How ironic is it that Dungy released a book around the time he started advising Vick? Vick is going to help him sell alot more books. In fact on Mike and Mike he talked about his book.

Where these "troubled players" in jail for 2 years?

This is kind of an extreme case, don't ya think? Not exactly like some moron getting caught with pot.

- You know this is a team game right? Vick didn't win those games by himself and alot of the time hurt his team because he is a awful passer. He's paid to play QB, something he's not good at. Vick has started 67 games and has only FIVE WINS against teams with winning records. Vince Young btw is 18-11 as a starter with very simular numbers as what Vick is capable of. Want to praise him too?

- Vick has appeared in 4 playoff games: 2td/3int/1fumble. He was the biggest reason for their seasons to come to an end both playoff trips (both to the Eagles): 58.4 rating/0td/2int, 46.5 rating/0td/1int

- Ever heard of Randall Cunningham? He could actually win games with his arm and is a borderline HOF QB. He was the NFL MVP. 29979 passing/207td, 4928 rushing/35td. Randall paved the way for players like Vick and Young but was also a far better than Vick or Young will ever be.

Vick didn't win the games by himself but he was as valuable to his teams success as you could possibly be. Look how they fared when he was out due to injury during that era, they were beyond awful. Atlanta had mediocre defenses during that era (14th in pts allowed the year they went to the NFC title game in 04, can't at all compare this to success Vince Young was having with the Titans and their defenses), and awful WR. And you may want to look again before you start saying Vince Young has similar numbers to Vick. Look at the TD:INT ratio (Young has 32 picks to 22 TD, which is beyond awful), yards per completion, and just about every stat other than comp % which is high for young because he was dumping the ball off a ton. Young as good as a runner as he is is also not half the running threat Vick was. Randall Cunningham was a better QB than Vick. No argument.

Vick did 3 things very well. He wasn't the most accurate passer but he could make BIG plays with his arm. the only active QB who averaged more yards per completion in their career than Vick's 12.4 are Romo and Roethlisberger, two guys who had FAR superior weapons to him. And he could run the ball like nobodies business, and didn't throw INT to put his team in bad spots. Those are the biggest reasons his teams had arguably the best 4-5 year run in the history of the Falcons organization while he was there

Lets also not forget 2 things when looking at Vick's passing numbers

1. His WR were beyond awful. Eagle fans complain about the weapons McNabb had to work with in his career, well Vick had a WR starting for him that was actually cut from the Eagles (Finneran). A guy Reid didn't even think was as good as trash like James Thrash and Todd Pinkston (or even worthy of a roster spot) was starting for Vick and playing a significant role in the offense. He was the leading receiver, by more than double the next closest guy, in the 2002 season when they lost to Philly in round 2. He never had any WR until they drafted Roddy White and Vick only had him in the infancy of White's career. Don't take this out of context now and think I'm somehow saying Vick is better than McNabb. I happen to think McNabb is the 3rd best QB of the last decade and a much better QB than Vick, but there is no arguing Vick never had many weapons in the passing game and would have put up better numbers if he did

2. He was improving before going to jail, and was still very young (only 26 during his last NFL season). He did throw a career high 20 TD passes that season, in addition to running for over 1,000 yards

Well maybe Dungy should stop spending so much time with criminals who kill their own careers and get out in the world. Maybe if he did his son would still be alive.

You don't know Dungy so you have no clue how classy he is. Reid took a bunch of crap for his sons(deservedly so) yet Dungy's son was a freak and it gets brushed under the rug.

You're either too young to understand what you stated here.

Or you're too stupid to be posting.

I have no problem admitting I was wrong if and when he gets signed... it's just annoying everyday to hear something new about some phantom team knocking down Vick's door to sign him... if somebody was really interested wouldn't something have come about it by now?

Oh, wait, now the deadline is the end of the week. My bad.

:o:o

F me. Seriously though, I think I'm the only one out of my friends who isn't jumping for joy right now. I'm gonna' go ahead and say about 85% of the people I know are in favor of the signing. I just think that I'm still in too much of shock right now to fully analyze the situation.

Walt is just taking a stand against these "liberal, PC, hippies". Who does Tony Dungy think he is, helping out a black guy? If Vick were white and Tony were white, this would be okay. But since they're both black, there's obviously some kind of conspiracy going on.

I was driving home yesterday and I saw this black guy broken down on the side of the road, and then another black guy pulled up to help him. And I was like "Hey, why don't you help me, you F'n racist!" My car was fine...but it's just the principle of the thing.

BAHAHAHAHAHA............good one man.

Actually Roger Goodell ask Dungy to be Vick's mentor. So that fool Walt should be happy..........the white guy made the black guy (tony dungy), help the other black guy.

See its all right cause the white guy told him to do it.

LOL!!!!!

I have to ease these fools nerves......because you know black people helping each other out means its the end of earth being a white mans world.....LOL!!!!

Vick didn't win the games by himself but he was as valuable to his teams success as you could possibly be. Look how they fared when he was out due to injury during that era, they were beyond awful. Atlanta had mediocre defenses during that era (14th in pts allowed the year they went to the NFC title game in 04, can't at all compare this to success Vince Young was having with the Titans and their defenses), and awful WR. And you may want to look again before you start saying Vince Young has similar numbers to Vick. Look at the TD:INT ratio (Young has 32 picks to 22 TD, which is beyond awful), yards per completion, and just about every stat other than comp % which is high for young because he was dumping the ball off a ton. Young as good as a runner as he is is also not half the running threat Vick was. Randall Cunningham was a better QB than Vick. No argument.

Vick did 3 things very well. He wasn't the most accurate passer but he could make BIG plays with his arm. the only active QB who averaged more yards per completion in their career than Vick's 12.4 are Romo and Roethlisberger, two guys who had FAR superior weapons to him. And he could run the ball like nobodies business, and didn't throw INT to put his team in bad spots. Those are the biggest reasons his teams had arguably the best 4-5 year run in the history of the Falcons organization while he was there

Lets also not forget 2 things when looking at Vick's passing numbers

1. His WR were beyond awful. Eagle fans complain about the weapons McNabb had to work with in his career, well Vick had a WR starting for him that was actually cut from the Eagles (Finneran). A guy Reid didn't even think was as good as trash like James Thrash and Todd Pinkston (or even worthy of a roster spot) was starting for Vick and playing a significant role in the offense. He was the leading receiver, by more than double the next closest guy, in the 2002 season when they lost to Philly in round 2. He never had any WR until they drafted Roddy White and Vick only had him in the infancy of White's career. Don't take this out of context now and think I'm somehow saying Vick is better than McNabb. I happen to think McNabb is the 3rd best QB of the last decade and a much better QB than Vick, but there is no arguing Vick never had many weapons in the passing game and would have put up better numbers if he did

2. He was improving before going to jail, and was still very young (only 26 during his last NFL season). He did throw a career high 20 TD passes that season, in addition to running for over 1,000 yards

Great points man.

and how much attention he is apparently getting. Everyday it's something else, just to get his name out there on the bottom line to make teams thing people are calling about him.

Nobody wants him.

dont you feel like an idiot! No teams want him...Our team wanted him..oh snap they got him! LMAO

and how much attention he is apparently getting. Everyday it's something else, just to get his name out there on the bottom line to make teams thing people are calling about him.

Nobody wants him.

LMFAO

hahahahaha

moron

LMFAO

hahahahaha

moron

dungy is an idiot, mr god following dungy had no idea about his sons issues, or if he did, nothing was done

Finneran's best season was 838 yards/6td. Thrash's best was 833 yards/8td.

We also didn't get Thrash until 2001. Finneran was a UNDRAFTED rookie. He played 3 games in 99 for rookie HC Reid. You can't fault a rookie coach passing on a undrafted rookie. He is not a bad WR either. He's one of the best 3rd down recievers in the game, good slot WR and still with Atlanta however injuries have hurt his career but when he was younger/healthier he was good for 600-800 yards. btw. Eagles got rid of some dude named Cris Carter a while back too. Doesn't mean the coach is always right.

Don't give me the excuse of Vick had Roddy White when he was young and that's why he didn't play well. They had two years together and White was a 1st round pick. Everyone was calling White a bust. I mean look at Jackson or even Brown w/ McNabb. They played well very early in their careers. Vick struggled with all of his recievers. His favorite weapon was always Crumpler. JOEY HARRINGTON AND CHRIS REDMAN made White a Pro Bowl caliber WR. Atlanta had their first 1000 yard WR since 1999 and Harrington and Redman were at QB. Consider that.

Michael Vick has been called overrated so much that he's actually severely underrated at this point. There is a reason he will eventually get back into the league even after perhaps the biggest public relations fiasco in the history of the NFL. That's because he can play. A lesser player than Michael Vick would have 0% chance of getting back into the league after the stunt he pulled

This is a guy who, in his short career...

- Won close to 60% of his starts

- Won multiple playoff games, including taking a team to an NFC title Game

- Is the best athlete to ever play the position

He is not now, nor will he ever be, a traditional QB. But he can help a team win games. And for all the talk about his lack of passing skills, lets not paint the guy out to be Vince Young. He did throw 20 TD passes in his final season. Does he have trouble reading defenses and making multiple reads on a play? Yes. But its not like hes forcing balls into coverage and throwing a lot of INT. When his first read isn't open, he's taking off and running the ball and making plays with his legs that other QB could not possibly dream of

If he is your QB, your offense will have to be far from conventional, but hes shown in the past that you can win games with him playing that style.

He's still a better option when it comes to winning games than about half the starting QB in the league. Whether or not he will ever regain his form after 2 years in jail though is another story

I salute you. Saved me a lot of writing. Agree with all this, specially the bolded part

The amount of ignorance being posted in this thread is astonishing even by EMB standards.

Makes me wonder are they even human.

dungy is an idiot, mr god following dungy had no idea about his sons issues, or if he did, nothing was done

The amount of ignorance being posted in this thread is astonishing even by EMB standards.

Like the post by J-sana.

Dungy was a HC in Indiana. His son was a college student in Florida. Parents can't follow their children to college and hover over them, keeping a keen eye on everything they do. Kids aren't always going to tell their parents what they are doing, especially if there are drugs involved. People with depression usually just keep it to themselves and you don't know they are troubled until it is too late.

dont you feel like an idiot! No teams want him...Our team wanted him..oh snap they got him! LMAO

Haha, what ya gonna do? You win some, you lose some.

Finneran's best season was 838 yards/6td. Thrash's best was 833 yards/8td.

We also didn't get Thrash until 2001. Finneran was a UNDRAFTED rookie. He played 3 games in 99 for rookie HC Reid. You can't fault a rookie coach passing on a undrafted rookie. He is not a bad WR either. He's one of the best 3rd down recievers in the game, good slot WR and still with Atlanta however injuries have hurt his career but when he was younger/healthier he was good for 600-800 yards. btw. Eagles got rid of some dude named Cris Carter a while back too. Doesn't mean the coach is always right.

Don't give me the excuse of Vick had Roddy White when he was young and that's why he didn't play well. They had two years together and White was a 1st round pick. Everyone was calling White a bust. I mean look at Jackson or even Brown w/ McNabb. They played well very early in their careers. Vick struggled with all of his recievers. His favorite weapon was always Crumpler. JOEY HARRINGTON AND CHRIS REDMAN made White a Pro Bowl caliber WR. Atlanta had their first 1000 yard WR since 1999 and Harrington and Redman were at QB. Consider that.

This was a well thought out reply. A couple of thoughts though.

Regarding Cris Carter..... Being an Eagle fan you should know that performance is basically the last reason Buddy Ryan sent him packing, especially coming off a year where he finished 3rd in the NFL in TD catches. He crossed that white powdered goal line a bunch of times but it was a different kind of white powder that led to his exit in Philly. To this day Carter still credits Ryan for giving the excuse of "all he does is catch TD" instead of letting teams know the real reason he was let loose, because it would give him a better chance of catching on elsewhere

I at least give you credit for not being on Vick's nuts now even after he has signed with your team. I have seen a lot of 180's around here in the last few days. You do make some good points. And while you think more highly of Finneran than I do, it really isn't arguable that he is a weak #1 for a team who advances to the divisional round of the post season, as they did in 02 with Finneran having more than double the receiving yards of the next closest WR. The fact that he was good for 600-800 yards in some years doesn't change that, he was their #1 in some years and saw a lot of targets. Just about Every team in the NFL has a guy in the 600-800 yard range, especially if they throw in his direction enough. Never argued Vick was a great passer, but if he had better weapons his numbers would have undoubtedly seen a boost

In regards to McNabb getting production out of a young Desean Jackson and Vick not being able to do it with White.... Vick is not as good as McNabb and nor are 85% of the QBs in the NFL. The fact that White did produce immediately after his departure (with joey harrington no less) could be viewed as an indictment of Vick to some degree though, I agree.

I think you will like some of the things he brings to your offense though, but i hope im wrong

Like the post by J-sana.

Dungy was a HC in Indiana. His son was a college student in Florida. Parents can't follow their children to college and hover over them, keeping a keen eye on everything they do. Kids aren't always going to tell their parents what they are doing, especially if there are drugs involved. People with depression usually just keep it to themselves and you don't know they are troubled until it is too late.

thats why my kids are going to hate me, I plan on doing alot of PI type stuff on my kids, searching thier computers, phone call records, who there friends are, background checks and everything else I can think of my kids will hate me, but at least i'll know EXACTLY what they are doing kinda like in my sisters case, found alot my parents had no idea about, and they are more careful now to look into her life

First, Tony Dungy probably is more productive to society in a weekend than the majority of these posters are in their entire lives. So they should look in the mirror and think about how many lives they've touched before going off on Dungy. I'm not a God fearing person, I'm not religious but if someone wants to have religion in their life and it makes them commit to good social deeds then that's peachy by me.

About Vick, Vick would be the first to say he was lazy and got by on talent. For as long as Vick has been in the league, for McNabb to still have to go over footwork issues with the guy it tells you he wasn't a serious student of the game. Hopefully he has the crap cleaned out of his life and can concentrate on the community service he needs to be doing and also concentrate on the football field. He obviously has the arm strength, and having a guy like McNabb help him learn is going to benefit him.

BTW my parents were always checking on me, I grew up a little sheltered, I didn't go out much in highschool (straight A student, 3rd in my class). The thing is when someone feels sheltered like that, the first chance they have to act out, they will. My parents were authoritarian type figures, they were the punishers and to this day, even though I'm an adult, I don't have the relationship with them that I wish I did, if I have problems or issues I simply don't talk to them about it because I feel judged when I do. It's good to snoop and be involved in your child's day to day stuff but going overboard is just going to make your kids hide more things from you and then not be upfront and honest with you when things happen.

Tony Dungy was on the Jim Rome Show on radio... he talked about visiting M. Vick in Leavenworth and how he mentored Michael.

Tell me about it, now Tony Dungy is the Bad Guy? SMH......Go Vick, Go Eagles........peace.