gritzRgreat

Rolling R-word's (Trademark Pending) updates..

Can I get the tape on that?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444780

ASHBURN, Va. -- After passing the Washington Redskins' conditioning test, Albert Haynesworth was in no shape to practice.

Haynesworth finally conquered the 300-yard shuttle runs Saturday morning and was allowed to put on the pads for the first time at training camp, ending a will-he-or-won't-he spectacle that lasted a week and a half, made him the butt of jokes nationwide and overshadowed everything else at Redskins Park.

Coach Mike Shanahan had said Haynesworth could not practice until passing the test, and the showdown was seen as a statement of a new coach's uncompromising authority that wouldn't bend even for a two-time All-Pro with a $100 million contract.

"He probably doesn't like me very much right now," Shanahan said, "but I'm not here to be liked. I'm here to get him to play, and hopefully he'll play at a very high level."

Merely passing the test took enough of a toll to keep Haynesworth from getting through a full practice. After doing some defense drills -- blocking sleds, recovering fumbles, etc. -- he had a huge wrap put on his persistently sore left knee midway through the session and became a spectator again during the offense-vs.-defense team drills.

The Redskins are off Sunday, and coaches say they expect Haynesworth to be able to go through a full practice Monday, working initially as a second-string nose tackle. But the knee problem, which has bothered Haynesworth for several years, isn't going away anytime soon.

"Last year he said he was having problems every third or fourth day with the knee, so there is a problem there," Shanahan said. "That's why we're going to make sure that he gets treatment."

Haynesworth was clocked at 66 and 70 seconds during Saturday's test when all he needed was 70 and 73. There was no controversial bathroom break, such as the 10-minute detour that caused him to fail on the first day of camp.

The soreness in the knee that kept him from even trying for four straight days had subsided enough to give it a go. So what if it took the focus away from Fan Appreciation Day -- or former Redskins Hog Russ Grimm's induction into the Hall of Fame -- teammates were relieved not to have to answer questions about it anymore, and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett was getting sick and tired of seeing Haynesworth become a nonstop staple of the sports news cycle.

"Today's the first day I saw him dig down deep and go get it," Haslett said. "He was going to make that test one way or another, or him and I might have been fighting on the field today. He was going to make the test. I said 'I'm sick of seeing you at 4 o'clock in the morning.' I'd wake up and see his face on TV. You see him on TV all the time."

There has been no circus here at all. Our guys are coming here and getting down to business.

Shanahan bristled Friday when asked by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley if he regretted how Haynesworth's conditioning test had become somewhat of a "circus."

"There has been no circus here at all," Shanahan told ESPN.com. "Our guys are coming here and getting down to business."

And how did Haynesworth himself feel about all the fuss? There's no telling. He has shunned reporters throughout training camp, and his unilluminating statement to the media Saturday lasted all of 14 seconds -- one-fifth of the time it took to run the second part of his test.

"The test is over, and now it's back to playing football," he said. "I want to thank all the fans for coming out and still supporting me and still wearing [No.] 92 jerseys and still believing in me, so y'all have a good day."

Although a chapter in the Haynesworth saga has been completed, the book is far from over. He is months behind in learning the team's new 3-4 defense, a scheme he didn't want to play. He stayed away from the team's offseason workouts while hoping for a trade, a boycott that made him the only player required to take the conditioning test at training camp.

Asked if Haynesworth is OK with the defense now that he's been exposed to it through nine days of meetings and watching practice, Haslett said: "He really has no say in it."

"It doesn't make a difference. We're not changing it," Haslett said. "He really just has to go along with it."

Haslett said Haynesworth will have to learn all three positions on the defensive line. Haynesworth has particularly shunned the nose tackle position, but the offseason signing of veteran Maake Kemoeatu could allow Haynesworth to play more at defensive end.

Then there's the issue of team chemistry. Teammates openly called Haynesworth "selfish" when he skipped a mandatory minicamp in June, less than three months after getting a $21 million bonus as part of his contract.

"A lot was said, but now it's time to play football," defensive end Phillip Daniels said. "It's time to move forward. He knows that. He don't hold any grudges. We don't hold any grudges."

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall, speaking earlier in camp, had a different take.

"I don't think there's a point in coming out there trying to win those guys back," Hall said. "I think he has to come out here and do what we need him to do to win games. I think the naive person in all of us wants everybody to be friends. Sometimes that's not how it is. I might not ever like a guy. On the field, you might think we're best friends."

Notes

The test consists of a pair of 12 back-and-forth 25-yard sprints, with a 3½ minute break in between. ... First-round pick LT Trent Williams practiced after being limited for one day with tightness in his hip. ... WR Mike Furrey (concussion), RT Jammal Brown (hip), WR Malcolm Kelly (hamstring) and DL Howard Green (hip) remain sidelined

there was a write up in the paper about his time. i'll dig thru and see if i can find

it if it makes you happy..

Unless the reporter was there during the test, it would just be parroting what the skins said. Most people talking about are under the impression that it was a farce.

Most people don't know that the Redskins traded a 3rd or 4th depending on the McNabb conditional pick for Jammal Brown. And then there's questions about whether Jammal is as good as his 2 probowls or if Brees made him look good. Not so sure if the interior is that good, Artis Hicks...meh.

Davis and Cooley will likely be big targets for McNabb. He uses the TEs a lot, the RBs aren't great pass catchers, and the WRs are questionable. McNabb likes the seam route and I guess the reports are that Davis runs a good one.

Has McNabb been running bootlegs in practice? Curious to see if it helps out his game or not.

Yeah a lot of bootlegs.

Unless the reporter was there during the test, it would just be parroting what the skins said. Most people talking about are under the impression that it was a farce.

I dont really care if its a farce or not, all i care about is that its finally over and i can stop staring at haynesworths ugly face on TV. Im glad its over with, get him back on the field and let him be a beast.

With no real receiving threat other than Moss we need both Cooley and Davis out there.

I expect both of them if they stay healthy to have big seasons, D-Mac loves his TE's and with no big time WR's it's more then likely these two will have a bunch of balls thrown to them.

I expect both of them if they stay healthy to have big seasons, D-Mac loves his TE's and with no big time WR's it's more then likely these two will have a bunch of balls thrown to behind them.

fixed.

I'm not really worried about the passing game this season. The Skins should run the ball a ton and that will

take alot of pressure off McNabb.

As of right now the Redskins have 3 proven receiving threats Moss, Cooley & Davis. Most teams in the NFL

use 4 to 5. I look at what the Cowboys did last season on offense and i believe the Skins can match the no.

this season. Cowboys only used 4.

Witten had 94 rec - I believe Cooley can equal that number with McNabb at QB

Austin had 81 rec - again Moss could hit that number, he had 70 last year.

Williams had 38 rec - hell my man Davis had 48 in just ten games. has numbers should double.

Crayton had 37 rec - hopefully the Skins can find one wideout on this roster to catch around 40 balls.

Also dump off passes to the backs should increase with McNabb/Shanny in the fold.

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjo...ractice-mon-89/

Notes, quotes and observations from practice (Mon, 8/9)

What you should know from this morning’s practice:

*DL Albert Haynesworth (knee) fully participated. He mostly worked at nose tackle for second-string defense, along with LDE Phillip Daniels and RDE Darrion Scott. (Regular second team RDE Vonnie Holliday had a veteran’s day off)

Haynesworth was active, for the most part. Occasionally he didn’t seem—how should I put this?—intent on getting upfield, but he batted down a pass and made a couple stops in the run game. On one pass rush, he chased QB Rex Grossman all the way to the sideline.

RG Edwin Williams went against Haynesworth for much of practice.

"He was about as powerful as he was before,” Williams said.

Coach Mike Shanahan added: "I think he looked pretty good.”

*Shanahan did not have players in full pads this morning. Even though players had Sunday off, Shanahan chose a different approach after the team ran 120 plays in Saturday’s practice.

"I thought we needed to have a good practice,” he said. "We practiced for a couple hours with more speed and explosion than contact.”

*RT Jammal Brown (left hip) did not participate, even though Shanahan said on Saturday that he expected Brown back today. Brown’s surgically repaired hip is feeling sore and stiff. He hasn’t practiced fully since Tuesday afternoon.

"I think it’s way too early to be concerned,” Shanahan said. "He’s a very tough guy. The MRI was negative, so he is just fighting through a little soreness. We’ll keep our fingers crossed that it’s not more than that and just keep getting in better shape.”

*WR Malcolm Kelly (hamstring) did side rehab work. If he doesn’t practice this week, he won’t play against Buffalo in the preseason opener on Friday. I wouldn’t hold my breath. WR Mike Furrey (concussion) did not attend practice. ILB London Fletcher joined Holliday for a vet’s day off.

***Now, some players and plays that stood out. Please remember that this is just a snapshot of practice. (These observations are a bit shorter than usual because it’s tougher to evaluate when guys aren’t in pads.)

*QB Donovan McNabb had his best practice of camp. Coach Mike Shanahan agreed with that assessment, too. I didn’t see the poor timing and inaccurate throws that have begun to raise eyebrows around here. McNabb looked confident, and he drove the ball as well as I’ve seen.

Among McNabb’s highlights were several bullets to WR Santana Moss over the middle and down the seam for substantial gains. Some of them were into very tight windows, which displayed a level of accuracy McNabb hasn’t consistently shown.

He threw a gorgeous ball deep down the seam to TE Fred Davis, who outran ILB H.B. Blades. He also rolled out to his right and connected with WR Terrence Austin in the end zone with a pinpoint 40-yard throw on the run.

"We’re throwing a lot at him,” offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said. "He’ll have a couple good days and a couple bad days. That’s what you expect from any quarterback in camp, but especially one that’s new. You want him to make some of these mistakes so he can learn from them.”

*QB John Beck has some tools that these coaches should be able to work with. Early in 11-on-11 work, he rolled to his left and threw across his body, hitting TE Logan Paulsen in stride for a nice gain. He also drilled WR Shay Hodge in stride on a deep slant.

I’ve heard people around the league rave about how smart Beck is. He looks more comfortable in the offense every day. Today that showed in how he checked to Hodge in a hot read against the blitz. It was a quick slant that picked up about 10 yards.

Kyle Shanahan said last week that Beck hasn’t proved he can’t do it in the NFL. That’s an interesting way to look at him. Beck was drafted in the second round, so he has a quality pedigree. Perhaps being with the Shanahan father-son duo and McNabb will provide him with a level of teaching he wasn’t exposed to in Miami and Baltimore.

*CB Phillip Buchanon is one of many cornerbacks having a good camp. He ran stride for stride with WR Anthony Armstrong on a go route that was overthrown. He showed good vision later when he peeled off his receiver in the slot to go stop a run. He’s gonna be more physical than Fred Smoot as the third corner, and he could be a factor on punt returns. So far he’s looking like a solid offseason pickup.

*ILB H.B. Blades ran down TE Chris Cooley after a reception and punched the ball loose from behind. Blades then ran down the loose ball and recovered it. Blades is having a decent camp. I don’t foresee him making a huge impact on defense, but he has established himself as a quality backup and an important special teams contributor.

*Blocking is not WR Terrence Austin’s forte. At 5-11, 175, he has trouble with some of the Redskins’ bigger, physical corners on the edge. It’s something to keep in mind when weighing whether he’s worthy of a roster spot. He also dropped a pass from QB John Beck today that hit him right in the numbers. I’m very eager to watch him on Friday, particularly in the return game.

*ILB Robert Henson got himself in trouble looking in the backfield on one pass play. He turned his body and ran back into coverage but still had his head turned to the backfield. He didn’t see WR Devin Thomas running a crossing route, and he slammed into Thomas. Both guys fell to the ground on what surely would have been an illegal contact penalty.

*S Reed Doughty broke down in coverage on QB Rex Grossman’s deep TD pass to WR Roydell Williams. Grossman made a beautiful throw after rolling out to his right and setting his feet. Doughty immediately went to speak to DBs coach Bob Slowik about his assignment.

*C Casey Rabach in 11-on-11 drills took advantage of NT Albert Haynesworth’s desire to penetrate the backfield. Rabach briefly engaged Haynesworth after the snap before letting the big fella through. Rabach then pulled left to block for a screen to TE Chris Cooley. Haynesworth was out of the play. Shanahan really likes the screen pass as a way to keep pass rushes honest. Look for it a lot more frequently this season.

*WR Devin Thomas didn’t get much separation on the handful of times I watched him today. It appears to be a trend at this point, and it doesn’t seem to matter if he’s going against CB DeAngelo Hall or CB Ramzee Robinson. It’s why he’s listed on the updated depth chart with the third team.

I'm really starting to lose faith in Thomas and Kelly. Both are being out preformed by this years 7th round draft pick

Terrence Austin and often injured Roydell Williams.

No chance Kelly makes the team unless he has a monster pre-season. Hes been out over a week now with the hamstring and he doesnt play special teams. Thomas i think will make it because he was one of our best special teamers last year and he has upside at receiver...he just hasnt realized his potential yet. Maybe he never will though.

I see WR and OL as our biggest weaknesses going into this season. But i also think we have a lot of depth at safety, cornerback, outside linebacker, defensive line, tight end, and running back.

I was very skeptical of our RBs before training camp started but ive read nothing but good things about Portis, Johnson, and even Torain. So i think we may actually have a good running game this year.

Malcolm Kelly (hamstring) Jammal Brown (sore hip) out for fridays game.

C.Portis banged up in practice today, nothing serious (groin)

Malcolm Kelly (hamstring) Jammal Brown (sore hip) out for fridays game.

C.Portis banged up in practice today, nothing serious (groin)

hopefully not a sports hernia...

hopefully not a sports hernia...

Clinton? no just a tight groin, didn't pull it. Shanny said its nothing serious.

man im so excited for this friday. im picking up the new Madden game today in preparation. Can't wait to see Trent Williams lined up on Dmacs blindside.

Last update before pre-season. Projected final 53 for skins.

QB: Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, John Beck

RB: Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson, Ryan Torain

FB: Mike Sellers

WR: Santana Moss, Terrence Austin, Anthony Armstrong, Devin Thomas, Roydell Williams

TE: Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Logan Paulson

OT: Trent Williams, Jammal Brown, Will Robinson, Stephon Heyer

OG: Derrick Dockery, Artis Hicks, Chad Rhinehart, Edwin Williams

OC: Casey Rabach, Kory Lichtensteiger

DE: Adam Carriker, Albert Haynesworth, Phillip Daniels, Jeremy Jarmon, Vonnie Holliday, Kedric Golston

NT: Maake Kemoeatu

ILB: London Fletcher, Rocky McIntosh, H.B. Blades, Perry Riley, Chris Draft

OLB: Brian Orakpo, Andre Carter, Lorenzo Alexander, Chris Wilson

CB: DeAngelo Hall, Carlos Rogers, Justin Tryon, Phillip Buchanon, Kevin Barnes

S: LaRon Landry, Kareem Moore, Reed Doughty, Chris Horton

K: Graham Gano

P: Josh Bidwell

LS: Ethan Albright

-Kemoeatu is the only true NT on the roster, but both Carriker and Haynesworth can play NT and will serve as the backups there.

-Current LS Nick Sundberg gets cut after the 2nd pre-season game and they replace him with Ethan Albright.

Practice Squad:

OT Selvish Capers

G/C Erik Cook

RB Keiland Williams

CB Ramzee Robinson

TE/FB Dennis Morris

S Anderson Russell

WR Brandon Banks

WR Shay Hodge

i'm ready to run thru walls myself

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-sh...ins-who-is-boss

ASHBURN, Va.

There is no question who is boss here. Dan Snyder may own the Washington Redskins, but new coach Mike Shanahan runs this team.

Tight end Chris Cooley said it best. “Everything here now runs through Mike,” Cooley said. “There are no assumptions of what the head coach wants. He is very clear. I think the other difference from a year ago is I would say Jim Zorn was trying to prove himself as a head coach, so that didn’t stop guys from running to Dan or whatever. There are no thoughts that if we start 1-3 that he’s going to be fired at the end of the year. Mike’s the guy and if we want it to work, we are going through Mike.”

Inside linebacker London Fletcher, who has been a rock wherever he’s played in the NFL, said that Shanahan has brought “credibility, a professional attitude and accountability” to the Redskins.

“That environment was really lacking here last season,” Fletcher said. “A lot of times last season by Wednesday we had no chance to win because we really lacked professional leadership, because not everybody was on the same ship so to speak. Every guy on this team knows now if they don’t do it the right way, including me, they are not going to be here.”

To build and maintain this competitive atmosphere, Shanahan and new general manager Bruce Allen brought in over 20 new players, not counting rookies.

“There are not six guys on this team who are immune from anything, including me,” said Cooley, who will have to fend off Fred Davis. “What they’ve done is make our team better and make everyone compete. Outsiders want to think that Mike and Albert (Haynesworth) were having some kind of spat, but all Mike was doing is asking Albert to do what everyone else has to do and I think (other players) were completely cool with it.”

“We’ll see how it goes with him,” Fletcher said of Haynesworth. “If he buys into the 3-4 defense, he can be a monster for us and make us a better football team.”

Before he accepted the $21 million bonus in April, Haynesworth was told he could go somewhere else, no harm done. But if he took the money, he was going to have to do it Shanahan’s way, which meant no special treatment. At the end of his career back in Denver, Broncos future Hall-of-Fame quarterback John Elway was treated the same way by his head coach.

Shanahan may be considered a great offensive mind on the sidelines, but he is also old fashioned in that he believes in details and accountability. It’s part of the reason why he won two Super Bowls with the Broncos and had nine winning seasons there in 14 years. He and Denver owner Pat Bowlen seemed to be buddies, but at the end of the 2008 season Bowlen ended the marriage.

“Of all places, I never thought I’d see you here,” I said to Shanahan.

Shanahan laughed. He knew exactly what I meant because he also believed he’d retire as the Broncos head coach.

But Shanahan, who turns 58 later in August, also seems to be relishing the new challenge. He doesn’t mind proving himself all over again and that point of competiton has been driven home with his players. For example, his former running back in Denver, Clinton Portis, has shed 15 pounds in order to best compete with Larry Johnson and Willie Parker to be the starter.

“With as many people as we have brought in here, I believe it has brought a lot of competition to the team,” Shanahan said. “We have a bunch of potential free agents who are competing for their futures. I agree, it’s kind of a perfect storm.”

Allen, who is reveling being here because this is where his father, George, was once the head coach, noted that training camp has been pretty serious. “It’s like the players are afraid to even trash talk because they really aren’t sure whether Mike would approve or not,” Allen said.

And unlike what Bill Belichick has done in New England, removing any pictures of the Patriots’ Super Bowl past, Allen and Shanahan are constantly reminding the players that this flagship franchise was once an NFC powerhouse and they should strive for greatness.

“Bruce is pretty proud of that plaque he put up honoring all the great assistant coaches this franchise had in the 1980s,” Shanahan said. “A lot of those guys were coaches I looked up to. I remember coming here in 1985 while with the Broncos to talk football with the Washington coaches because we were playing the NFC East teams that year. Then we ended up playing in the Super Bowl against each other. The league outlawed that kind of fraternization after that.”

Every football detail, every instruction that one of his assistants makes to players in meetings, is monitored by Shanahan because he tapes every meeting and often reviews them. It is a coaching technique he learned from the late Bill Walsh, who had such a system with San Francisco 49ers.

“It’s a great way of knowing that your coaches are teaching the philosophy that you want,” Shanahan said. “Walsh told me that he contacted the top 20 companies from the Silicon Valley to come up with a system and install it. When I went there as an assistant before I spoke to any players, I spent four months watching film of their meetings to make sure I knew Walsh’s passing philosophy.”

The other major addition here is 33-year-old quarterback Donovan McNabb. Shanahan, who knows something about quarterbacks, was the only serious pursuer of McNabb when the Eagles were considering trading him.

“Every team that wins a Super Bowl usually has a great quarterback,” Shanahan said. “It’s tough when you make decisions for your team. Because the contracts are so great for quarterbacks, they had to make a decision (between McNabb and Kevin Kolb) on one of them. I think it worked out great for us. When we play the Eagles, you can bet that Donovan will want to prove to them that they made a mistake.”

In the same breath, Shanahan said he remains “shocked” that Denver unloaded Jay Cutler. “We were No. 2 in offense with Jay and had a very young offensive team,” he said.

“It means a lot to have a quarterback of his caliber,” Fletcher said of McNabb. “He’s still in the prime of his career, a proven player who really knows our division.”

“Donovan has been fantastic so far,” Cooley said. “He’s great for me and also great for this offense. We have really struggled the past few years. Hey, everybody liked Jason (Campbell), but no one was a good fit for the offensive line we had last year. I really like the improvement we’ve made on the O-line.”

The makeover of the offensive line includes No. 1 pick Trent Williams at left tackle, former Saint Jammal Brown, a two-time Pro Bowler, at right tackle and proven Minnesota backup Artis Hicks at right guard.

The Redskins were 0-6 in the NFC East last season while finishing 4-12, the club’s worst record since 1994. Shanahan likes to call the East the money division “because every owner is committed to winning,” he said. “Look at Dan. No one has spent more money on players than him recently and he’s done that because he really wants to win. Jerry Jones is the same way. Philadelphia has a great track record and now the Giants are moving into a new big stadium. All four of us have great stadiums and fans. I’ve already been over there to see the new Giants’ stadium. Those owners, too, are committed to winning.”

Fans may view Shanahan as a passing coach, but he readily admits he will never be throwing the ball like Andy Reid does. “That style works for the Eagles,” he said. “Andy has had a lot of success that way. But I have always been a run-first coach like the Giants are. We will find a way to run and be successful.”

Reading that article man...it almost makes me wanna cry. Im so glad to have Shanahan. I just hope Snyder doesnt F this up. I seriously think that if Snyder does something stupid like firing Shanahan after only a year or two without good reason we will see a skins fan revolt beyond belief against Snyder.

Reading that article man...it almost makes me wanna cry. Im so glad to have Shanahan. I just hope Snyder doesnt F this up. I seriously think that if Snyder does something stupid like firing Shanahan after only a year or two without good reason we will see a skins fan revolt beyond belief against Snyder.

Why we haven't seen one before from you guys before is beyond me.......

I'm not really worried about the passing game this season. The Skins should run the ball a ton and that will

take alot of pressure off McNabb.

As of right now the Redskins have 3 proven receiving threats Moss, Cooley & Davis. Most teams in the NFL

use 4 to 5. I look at what the Cowboys did last season on offense and i believe the Skins can match the no.

this season. Cowboys only used 4.

Witten had 94 rec - I believe Cooley can equal that number with McNabb at QB

Austin had 81 rec - again Moss could hit that number, he had 70 last year.

Williams had 38 rec - hell my man Davis had 48 in just ten games. has numbers should double.

Crayton had 37 rec - hopefully the Skins can find one wideout on this roster to catch around 40 balls.

Also dump off passes to the backs should increase with McNabb/Shanny in the fold.

You're expecting to have two tight ends with over 90 catches?

Seriously?

You do realize that Davis had those numbers last year because Cooley was out, right?

You're expecting to have two tight ends with over 90 catches?

Seriously?

You do realize that Davis had those numbers last year because Cooley was out, right?

When you look at the way the new offense is setup yes it could happen.

They have Cooley lined up at WR, at the slot and in the backfield. Both

him and Davis will be on the field a ton together.

Why we haven't seen one before from you guys before is beyond me.......

lemmings.jpg

Because they would have to admit that their "We're going 12-4!!! We're going to the Superbowl!!!!" team is in fact NOT going to go 12-4 and not going to the Superbowl. To talk to any skin fan from Feb - Sept and 12-4 / Superbowl is a foregone conclusion. So when you live in denial for 8 months out of the year, it's hard to organize a sustained revolt.

All it takes is for Snyder to sign some big name, and the angry fans go back to the 12-4/Superbowl mantra all over again.

When you look at the way the new offense is setup yes it could happen.

They have Cooley lined up at WR, at the slot and in the backfield. Both

him and Davis will be on the field a ton together.

Come on. Yes, both will be on the field together, but one of them will be blocking 85+% of the time.

Come on. Yes, both will be on the field together, but one of them will be blocking 85+% of the time.

Exactly. Are your receivers so bad that you are lining up a TE at WR? I seriously doubt Cooley will have the same level of productivity being split out at WR. First, it's not a position he played before, second he's not facing coverage from a LB anymore.