gritzRgreat

Rolling R-word's (Trademark Pending) updates..

It seems like every team in the NFC East will be fun to watch this season. Most seasons it's focused on the top 2 of the division and the Redskins are especially boring to watch, but McNabb and Shanny will bring the fire and they'll be fun to watch. They should play in a lot of tight games.

For the casual fan, the team most fun to watch will be the Eagles. They did look good on offense yesterday other than the redzone. Kolb should do okay and will make his share of mistakes, but they'll still have that high octane offense with DJax and Maclin. I'm guessing they'll still use Vick in some way no? I see a lot of Eagles games going off in shootouts and crazy offensive play making those games fun as hell to watch.

Hey if all you haters wonna do is talk trash then take that crap to the R N R.

Stop TROLLING my topic!

Not talking trash. People just can't seem to understand that Brent Celek is a better player than Chris Cooley right now.

Not talking trash. People just can't seem to understand that Brent Celek is a better player than Chris Cooley right now.

right now?

last night: REC YARDS AVG. LONG TD FUM

C. Cooley 3 33 11.0 19 0 0 Cooley caught everything thrown his way.

B. Celek 2 18 9.0 12 0 0 Celek dropped an e-z touchdown pass.

looks like Cooley is ahead.

right now?

:lol:

Stop fishing

right now?

That was last night, I said right now. Celek was mad that he dropped that ball so he flew to Antarctica and started catching hail wearing less clothes than Cody Lundin. Let me know when Cooley can catch hail.

That was last night, I said right now. Celek was mad that he dropped that ball so he flew to Antarctica and started catching hail wearing less clothes than Cody Lundin. Let me know when Cooley can catch hail.

:lol:

Any Eagle fan claiming Celek is clearly better than Cooley is just as stupid as skins fan saying superbowl after Osaka part 2. Put Celek on any skins team in the past 10 years and his stats would be cut in half. THE EAGLES THROW THE BALL MORE THAN Texas Tech. Stats will be inflated.

Formally known as Ramsey2moss

Any Eagle fan claiming Celek is clearly better than Cooley is just as stupid as skins fan saying superbowl after Osaka part 2. Put Celek on any skins team in the past 10 years and his stats would be cut in half. THE EAGLES THROW THE BALL MORE THAN Texas Tech. Stats will be inflated.

Formally known as Ramsey2moss

Yeah it was definitely time to update that handle. :lol:

1) But, but the Redskins totally suck. They have no offensive line..

2) But, but the Skins have no weapons other than Moss...

3) But, but the Skins ae changing their defense after having a good year last season. Why, it doesn't make sense...

4) But, But Haynesworth is a big fat slob..

5) But, but the Skins don't have the pieces to switch to the 3 - 4

The Bills line is 100xs worse than yours. They did NOTHING to fix it. Your team has at least tried.

The Bills defense wasn't that good last year now they're worse. You at least have pass rushers of some sort. Maybin hasn't done **** in the NFL and barely did anything in college. Schobel was the only pass rusher they had and now he's gone.

Their TEs suck.

They have RBs and that's it.

They have injuries across the board again.

Was Poz even out there? I think he may be injured as well. Another huge piece missing from their D.

I've resisted people saying that they're going to be the #1 pick next year but the more I think about it the more I realize just how bad that team is right now.

I liked what the Eagles looked like last night but I said in my first post that its hard to tell because I don't know how bad the Jags. are. I suspect they're pretty bad at this point but I know they're not as bad off as the Bills.

Maybe we should give Gritz a break. He can't really see what's going on.

eye see wut u did thar

I thought the Redskins running game looked very good, but I thought the passing game (from the starters anyways) looked just OK. McNabb had a couple of really nice passes, but also had a good share of worm burners. Bills starting DEs also seem to get pressure on him _a lot_. I don't know that I'd read much into pre-season results, but they certainly look much better than last year. If I were a Redskins fan, I'd want to see that line perform a bit better...

Big Al and the new 3 - 4

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl-262424

Upon Further Review: Haynesworth and the 3-4

By Doug Farrar

So after all the attendant drama, the holdouts, the projected trades, and the conditioning test that seemingly would never end and finally did, the Washington Redskins took the Field on Friday night at FedEx field to face the Buffalo Bills with their new 3-4 defense, and its least happy participant, one Albert Haynesworth(notes). Haynesworth has said repeatedly that he did not want to plug holes as a standard nose tackle in a 3-4 front, leaving all the opportunities for everyone else around him. It took one game for Mr. Haynesworth to change his tune.

As promised, new defensive coordinator Jim Haslett brought an amalgam of fronts --a lot of the hybrid stuff made famous in recent years by the Patriots, with a down linebacker finishing off what is basically a four-man front with three actual "linemen". Haslett would also use what I might call an "offset 3", i.e., three linemen set slightly to one side and the linebacker wide on the other side outside the tackle (the diagrammed formation). When the Redskins went with a straight 3-4 -- three down linemen and two linebackers -- the idea seemed to be to slant away from the protection at the snap, allowing more disruption at the line. This worked against the Redskins early on as they overpursued Buffalo's playmakers and gave up some big gains. But once things calmed down, the front seven looked very solid.

Perhaps the four-man front you'll see most often on passing downs is one with linebackers Brian Orakpo(notes) and Andre Carter(notes) outside, and a mixture of two different linemen inside. The Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers are two teams that have adopted this concept with great success over the past few years. You'll occasionally see the Dallas Cowboys break out of their 5-2 fronts and go with something like that when they want to move versatile tackle Jay Ratliff(notes) around. And the Seattle Seahawks are using 3-man fronts with 4-3 principles in Pete Carroll's new defense. Washigton seemed to like this kind of set with wider splits, which allowed linebackers and defensive backs to come to the line and fill gaps to blitz, or to drop and cover.

Haynesworth didn't see a lot of time, as he's still trying to get into game shape. But I saw him outside in a four-man front on at least one play, he was drawing false starts when he was inside, and it's pretty clear that he's starting to realize what the new defense could do for him.

"What I was told earlier was completely different from what we're doing now," Haynesworth said after the game. "Getting with Haslett these last few weeks has really cleared up a whole lot of stuff. I really enjoy it, and it's great to have him on my side to help me with the defense."

Getting the overall concept helped. "I've never really played the nose, straight-up nose, so it's a little different. But the one thing is, you do get double-teams, but you got linebackers coming downhill, so they're not going to stand there the whole time, which in a 4-3, they were going to stay on you. ...now it's a lot different. It's still going sideways, which I'm not used to. But after getting all that stuff down, I think it'll be pretty good."

But will he be able to make plays, as the Football Gods apparently intended? "Oh yeah, you can see in practice, you can see in the games and stuff. I'm going to have one-on-ones and things like that. So it's up to me to beat those one-on-ones and get back in the backfield."

So, after a lot of folderol, all is right with the world. The Redskins beat the daylights out of the Bills, 42-17, to open their preseason. The new look offense looked much better with Donovan McNabb(notes) and a new blocking system. And Mr. Grumpypants is now on board with the program. We'll see how long that lasts, but so far, so good.

I thought the Redskins running game looked very good, but I thought the passing game (from the starters anyways) looked just OK. McNabb had a couple of really nice passes, but also had a good share of worm burners. Bills starting DEs also seem to get pressure on him _a lot_. I don't know that I'd read much into pre-season results, but they certainly look much better than last year. If I were a Redskins fan, I'd want to see that line perform a bit better...

I think the line will be much better when Jammal Brown plays. Stephon Heyer played really bad last year, i was surprised he was getting the start at RT with the first team yesterday. Heyer actually played decent yesterday though. Hes still not a starting caliber tackle.

It's pretty sad when redskin fans have to come to the eagles message boards....SAD....suck a dam d**k....I don't care if I'm banned...you guys need to get a life...enough said.

The Redskins better bring extra oxygen tanks to the stadium, accompanied by an ambulance on standby because of McFlibb has to do any scrambling he's going to cough up one of his lungs and whatever chunky soup flavor is still sitting in his belly.

It's pretty sad when redskin fans have to come to the eagles message boards....SAD....suck a dam d**k....I don't care if I'm banned...you guys need to get a life...enough said.

how old is that freaking avatar? :lol:

Celek is a top 8-10 Tight End in the NFL right now. Celek and Cooley is a great comparison.

Celek is still developing. When he first go there he couldn't block me. He's gotten much better in that department, but still has a ways to go.

On the receiving end, he's a monster. I know he dropped the TD last night, but he usually has great hands and is very good after the catch. Very productive player who will be instrumental if Kolb is to become a star.

This is his 2nd year as a starter. I don't expect him to get 950+ yards again, but a 75 catch, 800 yard, 8 TD season is reasonable.

This week Trent Williams is going up against Suggs which should be a great early test, and one we should be fortunate is taking place in the preseason. Treat's athleticism is off the charts for a man his size. It's e-z to see why

Shanny went with Williams over Okung. Not knocking Okung.

I am curious to see how Williams will handle speedy rushers like a DeMarcus Ware. I think he will do fine, but he is a rookie, he will definitely have some learning to do.

McNabb to Cooley is gonna be very big this year. Fred Davis had a chance to supplant Cooley, but it looks like that chemistry is gonna be a big year for Cooley.

McNabb to Cooley is gonna be very big this year. Fred Davis had a chance to supplant Cooley, but it looks like that chemistry is gonna be a big year for Cooley.

I think Cooley will catch a ton of passes but Davis will be the red zone target. He just has a nac for scoring.

I think Cooley will catch a ton of passes but Davis will be the red zone target. He just has a nac for scoring.

mcnabb's red zone target is usually the full back for 4 yards on 3rd and goal from the 8.

mcnabb's red zone target is usually the full back for 4 yards on 3rd and goal from the 8.

Since we wont be using a fullback in that situation things will change then :D