gritzRgreat

Rolling R-word's (Trademark Pending) updates..

Since we wont be using a fullback in that situation things will change then :D

I never understood why they dont use Mike Sellers more in the redzone as a pass catcher. Remember in 2005 Mike Sellers was catching TD passes left and right in the red zone in Gibbs' offense?

I never understood why they dont use Mike Sellers more in the redzone as a pass catcher. Remember in 2005 Mike Sellers was catching TD passes left and right in the red zone in Gibbs' offense?

He was a beast under Gibbs, one of the best fullbacks in football. I would love to see him as a single back with both

Cooley and Davis on the field.

Clinton Portis will not play v/s the Ravens. Shannahan will give Larry Johnson the start and will give

Willie Parker a long look see as well.

If you recall, both Johnson and Parker didn't play v/s the Bills.

Also Malcolm (hamstring) is out for the Ravens game but Jammal Brown will start at right tackle.

Brown had missed the Bill's game (an few practices) with a sore hip.

Big test coming up against the Ravens.

Same hip that put him on IR last year?

Yeah he was experiencing soreness in the hip and sat out of practice and the first game. Hes good to go now, he returned to practice on Monday and will play against the Ravens.

Huge test. You'll be lucky if they all don't leave on a stretcher :flex:

The Ravens treat this game like its the Superbowl. Its like when the little brother plays the big brother in basketball.

The little brother plays his guts out and big brother is like, whatever. Ravens/Raven fans have always had an

inferiority complex when it comes to the Redskins. We'll see just how long the Ravens leave their starters in...

I wish some of the Eagles defense players had that nastyness like the Raven Defense. We got Sims crazy self trying to kill his own teammates. Why not a couple more on our squad. It'll make our offense tougher. ^_^

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0081604933.html

Competition is intense for Washington Redskins wide receivers

By Barry Svrluga

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, August 16, 2010; 11:28 PM

There would seem to be no more innocuous occurrence at Washington Redskins training camp than what happened here shortly after 8:30 a.m. Monday. Donovan McNabb, the starting quarterback wearing a yellow jersey, dropped back under a gray sky and hit Terrence Austin, then Bobby Wade, then Anthony Armstrong. No defensive backs were in sight, and such a skeleton drill is as basic a training camp endeavor as there is.

Then, there is the matter of how the head coach sees such a pursuit.

"Everything has been charted out," Mike Shanahan said. "Every drop, catch. We look at everything."

Cancel that innocuousness, then, because if you are Austin or Wade or Armstrong or any of the seven other receivers on the field for Redskins workouts this week, each of those drills is being parsed, and each one matters. With only one preseason game gone by and three more ahead, there is sorting out to do in much of Shanahan's first Redskins team. But the outcome at wide receiver, where veteran Santana Moss is in and anybody else could - potentially - be out, may be most perplexing of all.

Thus, when Roydell Williams - a veteran trying to make it back into the NFL after two years interrupted by injury - entered last week's preseason opener against Buffalo, he did so as a second-stringer, because he had performed well in training camp and throughout off-season drills. When he walked off the practice field Monday - after Armstrong caught a touchdown pass against the Bills, after Austin made two catches and fellow rookie Brandon Banks returned a punt for a touchdown - Williams was listed with the fourth team.

"I think I need to prove myself," Williams said.

That makes him no different than anyone else who shows up for work trying to catch passes in Ashburn. Moss, by virtue of his preparation and past performance - 500 career receptions in nine NFL seasons, including 349 in his five years with the Redskins - will make the team and almost certainly start. So the fact that he was the target of just one pass against Buffalo is the lone stat from that game that can be forgotten.

Everything else is important. Joey Galloway, the 38-year-old, 15-year veteran who - for now - is the starter opposite Moss, had only one opportunity for a catch, on a deep sideline route that McNabb overthrew, and enters the second preseason game still looking to impress. Bobby Wade, a seven-year veteran who said this week, "You never know if this is going to be your last year, last opportunity," was the target of seven passes, but made only two catches.

Williams caught one pass - and made a nice move afterward, picking up 21 yards - but couldn't corral the other two balls that came his way, including an outright drop on third down of the Redskins' first series.

"Look at the group we have here," Moss said earlier in camp. "There's guys pushing each other all over the place, guys with experience, younger guys. We got lots to offer."

But when final cuts are made, only five - or maybe six - will be doing the offering. Mike Furrey, a veteran signed during the offseason, has been out of practice with a concussion and appears to be the longest shot to make the team.

Third-year wide receiver Malcolm Kelly has practiced just one day of training camp because of a hamstring problem, and as Shanahan said Monday, "Obviously, if you can't practice, he can't show me anything." Devin Thomas, another third-year player, has been relegated to the third team, but he used three catches against the Bills, including a 44-yard touchdown reception, to reestablish himself to some degree.

Given the opportunity, some of the players with less-than-sexy backgrounds - those who weren't drafted (Banks, Armstrong), or were drafted late (Austin) - have stepped in and excelled, even when their thought could be, as they return to their hotel rooms after another exhausting day: "Will I make the team?" Shanahan has repeatedly praised the 5-foot-7 Banks as a receiver in practice. Armstrong caught McNabb's only touchdown pass against Buffalo, a laser-like four-yarder he juggled into his arms in traffic.

"He didn't blink," offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said.

In such a tightly monitored evaluation process, that counts. So does attitude.

"I know there's limited spots," said Austin, a seventh-round pick out of UCLA in the 2010 draft who wears a yellow rubber bracelet that says, simply, "Play Hard." "But I just try to be optimistic about everything, and I just love the game, so I'm not going to think about the other stuff. If I make a mistake, I suck it up. I don't go home like, 'Dang, man, I dropped the ball today. I wonder what Coach is thinking.' I never think like that. You can't afford to."

Austin said this Monday as he held Galloway's pads, which the rookie had to lug off the field. The group, which ranges in age from the literally gray-bearded Galloway to the 21-year-old Austin, tries to remain close. Receivers frequently leave the field together - or with new receivers coach Keenan McCardell, who played 16 years in the NFL as a receiver himself - discussing plays and routes.

But there is an inescapable reality in the situation, too, one encapsulated in Shanahan's "we look at everything" mantra, reflected by the video cameras stationed on cranes high above the practice fields, monitoring every move. These 10 receivers - 11, counting Furrey - might be teammates today, but at least four of those 10 will be out of a job before the preseason ends. How can they handle those opposing pulls, helping a guy who might take their job?

"Some guys, even if someone's trying to beat them out, they'll help them a ton," Kyle Shanahan said. "They can't help it. That's who they are. Some guys aren't going to give everybody their secrets. But if they put it out there, even if they don't give the secrets, they show their secrets by doing what they do, and a coach just says, 'Hey, watch this guy. This is how you can get it done.' "

From Mike Shanahan's standpoint, getting it done is all that matters. The next opportunity to prove that comes Tuesday morning, when McNabb and the other quarterbacks will again drop back to zip passes to their receivers. Each will drop a ball at his own peril, because someone's always watching, and every pass counts

I'm re-watching the skins/bills game right now im really impressed with how some of the 2nd string o-linemen held up. Kory Lichtensteiger and Edwin Williams especially. I think they are both locks for the final 53. Good pass protection and run blocking against the bills 2nd string defense.

I'm re-watching the skins/bills game right now im really impressed with how some of the 2nd string o-linemen held up. Kory Lichtensteiger and Edwin Williams especially. I think they are both locks for the final 53. Good pass protection and run blocking against the bills 2nd string defense.

Ed Williams is having a solid camp. The kid has come a long way. He's one of those youngsters we can build up for the future along with Capers, Rinehart and Lichtensteiger. Shoot even Hayer has responded well to the new coaches.

The Ravens treat this game like its the Superbowl. Its like when the little brother plays the big brother in basketball.

The little brother plays his guts out and big brother is like, whatever. Ravens/Raven fans have always had an

inferiority complex when it comes to the Redskins. We'll see just how long the Ravens leave their starters in...

Please... The Ravens have been the only relevant team in Maryland for over a decade and you know it.

Oh, you made the playoffs that time in 2005? That was pretty cute.

Please... The Ravens have been the only relevant team in Maryland for over a decade and you know it.

Oh, you made the playoffs that time in 2005? That was pretty cute.

Record or no record the Ravens have always lived in the shadow of the Washington Redskins.

Just like the Giants and the Jets, the Mets and the Yanks..

Ed Williams is having a solid camp. The kid has come a long way. He's one of those youngsters we can build up for the future along with Capers, Rinehart and Lichtensteiger. Shoot even Hayer has responded well to the new coaches.

I think Rhinehart gets cut. I read hes been having a bad camp and looked pretty bad in the bills game. Capers is a project, i think hes more of a practice squad guy but we have no depth at tackle so i wouldnt be shocked if he made the team. Heyer probably makes the team, but i would feel more comfortable if he was our 4th tackle instead of 3rd. He was decent at best against the Bills and has been having a bad camp. There was also one snap against the bills where he went to pass protect and he just slipped and fell down. No one even touched him. It led to Grossman getting hurried and he made a bad throw which should have been intercepted but Reggie Corner dropped it.

Record or no record the Ravens have always lived in the shadow of the Washington Redskins.

always? they won the superbowl four years after their founding and have made the playoffs 6 of the last 10 years.

more proof that the road to being a redskin fan is paved with delusion.

Always? We already took over all the non-redneck parts of Maryland :lol:

always? they won the superbowl four years after their founding and have made the playoffs 6 of the last 10 years.

more proof that the road to being a redskin fan is paved with delusion.

Absolutely. We go into seasons as favorites and winning (soon to be multiple) titles while the Redskins fans proclaim "SUPERBOWL!" in August and hope for 500 in November.

Between the Panthers, Steelers, Ravens, and Dan Snyder's ownership of the skins - The skins are a shadow of their former selves. You are still acting like it's 1991. It's not. All four of these factors have decimated the skins empire that was built in the 80s and early 90s. Dan Snyder took an irrelevant team and turned it into the laughingstock of the league.

Usually the weak-minded redskins fans jump ship to the Ravens bandwagon because they have been winning lately and thats fine with me. But to watch some of the female Ravens fans getting wet over Flacco is actually pretty nasty.

Picture%202.png

Usually the weak-minded redskins fans jump ship to the Ravens bandwagon because they have been winning lately and thats fine with me. But to watch some of the female Ravens fans getting wet over Flacco is actually pretty nasty.

Redskins fans are the LAST fans who should be making fun of the way other teams players look.

mwcgb4.jpg

LMAO out side of PG county its a TON of ravens fans. Down here is souther MD there are more Eagles, Cowboys, Ravens, Steelers and Pats fan then redskins fans Even in Annapolis you see majority of Ravens fans.

MD's team of the past? Skins, Future? Ravens

LMAO out side of PG county its a TON of ravens fans. Down here is souther MD there are more Eagles, Cowboys, Ravens, Steelers and Pats fan then redskins fans Even in Annapolis you see majority of Ravens fans.

MD's team of the past? Skins, Future? Ravens

This man speaks the truth!!! :thumbsup:

Look, deep down inside the Raven fans know they play 2nd fiddle to the Redskins. That's why they get soo bent up & out of shape whenever the subject comes up. Ravens wonna be rivals with us sooo bad it kills them. Ever since they

came down from Cleveland they've made it a point to beat the skins in pre-season or what have you. The Skins could

care less. Really, we look at the Ravens the same way we look at the Seahawks or Jacksonville. We know who our real

ravils are and it will take Baltimore about 70 years to catch up. You see Redskin fans all over the country, see the Red-

skins at or near the top forbes list. What are the Ravens really known for??? Just like the Chicago Bears, one season

of OUTSTANDING defense and that about it. So the skins have had a few downs seasons. That doesn't mean ish in the

big picture.

Lakers > Clippers

Yanks > Mets

Orioles > Nationals

Redskins > Ravens.

Look, deep down inside the Raven fans know they play 2nd fiddle to the Redskins. That's why they get soo bent up & out of shape whenever the subject comes up. Ravens wonna be rivals with us sooo bad it kills them. Ever since they

came down from Cleveland they've made it a point to beat the skins in pre-season or what have you. The Skins could

care less. Really, we look at the Ravens the same way we look at the Seahawks or Jacksonville. We know who our real

ravils are and it will take Baltimore about 70 years to catch up. You see Redskin fans all over the country, see the Red-

skins at or near the top forbes list. What are the Ravens really known for??? Just like the Chicago Bears, one season

of OUTSTANDING defense and that about it. So the skins have had a few downs seasons. That doesn't mean ish in the

big picture.

Lakers > Clippers

Yanks > Mets

Orioles > Nationals

Redskins > Ravens.

Please. The only real animosity we have is toward a team is Indianapolis. Our rivals are the Steelers and Browns.

And even though the skins are 1-3 against the Ravens, it has little to do with us making a point to beat you. Its just that the Skins have been lousy for a long time. Read: Irrelevant.

Its the Skins and their fans who are trying to convince themselves that they are still part of the big picture. In reality, Washington is nothing more than a place for teams to dump their high profile, but over the hill, vet's for draft picks. Or, mediocre players for draft picks (See James Thrash for a 5th that turned into Trent Cole. Thanks for that nugget of info TATErs)