gritzRgreat

Rolling R-word's (Trademark Pending) updates..

Is this guy going to start a new theme every offseason? Last year it was OPERATION Patience, now the "Movement" huh? RG3 watches too much TV.

The Washington Redskins are as happy as any team in football to leave behind the 2013 season, a dumpster-fire campaign that knocked the entire organization on its metaphorical backside.

New year, new attitude. That according to Robert Griffin III, who casually dropped the team's new mantra in a one-on-one conversation with NFL Media's Albert Breer on Tuesday.

"Our expectations, are always, there is only one happy team at the end of the year," Griffin said. "You're either the Super Bowl champion, or you're not the Super Bowl champion, and we want to be Super Bowl champions. It starts one game at a time, and a week at a time, and we've taken care of that on this movement that we like to call, and we are looking forward to training camp.

And what exactly is "the movement?"

"The movement is just an identity for us," RGIII explained. "What's going to be our identity? 'The Hogs' had their identity. We're not the Hogs. We're a fast, explosive football team both on offense and defense.

"What brand of football are we going to play?" Griffin continued. "Are we a physical football team? Or are we going to be a strong football team? And that's for us to decide, and I think we are deciding that right now, and we have a little bit of everything, so that's good."

"The Hogs" was the nickname given to the Redskins' punishing offensive lines of the Joe Gibbs golden years in the 1980s and early '90s. "The movement" has a nice ring to it, but winning is the only way to make it stick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000359535/article/robert-griffin-iii-explains-the-movement-for-redskins

ES starts fapping....

BREAKING: In landmark decision, U.S. Patent Office cancels trademark for Redskins football team http://thkpr.gs/1qd1vXZ

...with their tears

:groovy: :groovy: :groovy: :groovy:

Well they have come to this stage before with the team name but I think now more than ever they might be on the brink of a change. If they lose and anyone has the right to the logo, a change will come. Danny Boy will fight this.

Part of me can see why fans wouldn't want this name change. I guess would be biased too if I were a fan but at the same time the name is the most offensive in professional sports and was created by one of the biggest bigots, a man who was a flat out racist, the last to allow black people on his team. It carries a different impact than the Indians or Seminoles names. I always found it odd too when you have a team like the Bullets changing their name because they do not want to promote violence and that change was made years ago but you still have a team in the same city named the Redskins that carries so much baggage with it.

And hey...maybe a change will be good for the team. As we saw in recent years with teams like Tampa and Seattle getting makeovers. Maybe this is now a curse hanging over them. Actually who am I kidding...Snyder is the biggest problem.

I just read that on marketwatch.

I wonder if this means anyone can start selling Redskins gear. If that's the case, Danny and the NFL will have to move to change the name.

Unless Snyder fights the decision and wins, which there is hope for, the name-change is inevitable, and soon. No way the NFL will allow anybody and everybody to make money off of Redskins gear/merchandise for an extended period of time.

The U.S. Patent Office made this same decision in 1999, and the team managed to overturn it in Federal Court. So there is hope...

http://blogs.wsj.com...kins-trademark/

The U.S. Patent Office made this same decision in 1999, and the team managed to overturn it in Federal Court. So there is hope...

That your embarrassment of a team can keep its shameful name? Good luck to you sir!

That your embarrassment of a team can keep its shameful name? Good luck to you sir!

"Senators" would be even more shameful as a name for the woeful DC team, yes?

Debating about this is useless, but the name isn't shameful.

If some good would come out of this, I could stand it. I mean, if we knew that by dropping the name, Native Americans would have an improved life, or that at least we were doing away with something that was offensive, I could stand it. But this is just a useless PC move that won't improve anyone's life or outlook on life the slightest. If we do drop the name, it will affect far more NFL fans than Native Americans. But hey, Suzan Harjo said it's offensive, so even though the vast majority of Native Americans don't care, let's change the name!

"Senators" would be even more shameful as a name for the woeful DC team, yes?

The thing that would make the most sense is to go back to their original name... The Braves. Logo wouldn't need to change. Uniforms stay the same. Etc

Debating about this is useless, but the name isn't shameful.

Apparently, it is.

The thing that would make the most sense is to go back to their original name... The Braves. Logo wouldn't need to change. Uniforms stay the same. Etc

Nah, I think it'd be best if they distanced themselves from the whole Native American name/mascot stuff with a fresh start. Really, it's just a matter of time before people decide that using the likeness of a Native American in a logo or referencing a tribe in a team name is deemed offensive. I'd stay ahead of the curb and go in an entirely different direction.

Well, this was unexpected:

Redskins trademarks canceled by U.S. Patent Office due to the name being disparaging to Native Americans.

we decide, based on the evidence properly before us, that these registrations must be cancelled be cause they were disparaging to Native Americans at the respective times they were registered, in violation of Section 2(a) of the Trademark Act of 1946, 15 U.S.C. ยง 1052(a).

LINK

Unless Snyder fights the decision and wins, which there is hope for, the name-change is inevitable, and soon. No way the NFL will allow anybody and everybody to make money off of Redskins gear/merchandise for an extended period of time.

http://blogs.wsj.com...kins-trademark/

They did overturn it 15 years ago and unlike some Skins fans, who think that this is a current conspiracy by the government, this has been a ongoing battle for decades. Many Skins fans do not even know the history of their own team it seems, which is very sad.

The team was named the Redskins after first head coach, Lone Star Dietz, who was a white man pretending to be Native American. Even Snyder and Cooke defended him after it was proven he was a fraud. He even faced jail time for lying about his race.

Original owner George Marshall was one of the most racist owners in the history of football. A man who was the last owner to allow black players on his team. Black players first were added to NFL teams in 1944. Marshall didn't add any until 1962 and was forced to by RFK who told Marshall he would retract the team's lease on the stadium if he didn't add black players. When Marshall died, the team tried to distance themselves from the racism. They changed the logo to a spear and R. Jack Kent Cooke however took over, changed the logo back and was strongly opposed to protests from Native American groups which he faced throughout his tenure as owner.

Nah, I think it'd be best if they distanced themselves from the whole Native American name/mascot stuff with a fresh start. Really, it's just a matter of time before people decide that using the likeness of a Native American in a logo or referencing a tribe in a team name is deemed offensive. I'd stay ahead of the curb and go in an entirely different direction.

You don't see the same response over Braves, Indians, Seminoles etc because they are not insults towards ones race however there have been some teams, mainly in college to drop these names out of respect for Native Americans. Even teams such as Ole Miss who were the Running Rebels and had a rebel flag logo changed with the times. Of course with the NFL names, logos...they are big money. That is the biggest issue here. Snyder will lose ALOT of money by changing the name, logo etc. Deep down that is likely his biggest concern. The scumbag says he is a hardcore fan, wants to preserve the legacy...he has a piss poor way of showing it because of how he has turned them into a total joke on and off the field.

You don't see the same response over Braves, Indians, Seminoles etc because they are not insults towards ones race however there have been some teams, mainly in college to drop these names out of respect for Native Americans. Even teams such as Ole Miss who were the Running Rebels and had a rebel flag logo changed with the times. Of course with the NFL names, logos...they are big money. That is the biggest issue here. Snyder will lose ALOT of money by changing the name, logo etc. Deep down that is likely his biggest concern. The scumbag says he is a hardcore fan, wants to preserve the legacy...he has a piss poor way of showing it because of how he has turned them into a total joke on and off the field.

No, you currently don't see the public outcry over those names, but as we continue to evolve as a culture that's more sensitive to the vocal minority, those names will inevitably be brought up and debated. As mentioned in the other thread about the Skins' name, one of the most vocal groups opposed to the Redskins name has also rallied against many of the names you mentioned. Their campaign against these names may be dismissed for a time, but eventually will gather steam and we will re-enter this debate.

Well, this was unexpected:

Redskins trademarks canceled by U.S. Patent Office due to the name being disparaging to Native Americans.

LINK

not that unexpected. This has been going through the govt for the past 6 months

DC had to step in to integrate the team, looks like they are a step closer to stepping in to change the racist name

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/01/07/trademark-ruling-bad-omen-for-redskins-name-legal-battle/

And not just on the trademark either

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10430475/senator-threatens-nfl-tax-exempt-status-washington-redskins-name

Within 5 years, they'll be renamed the Washington Governors, book it.

To quote a popular exp<b></b>ression from their backward, hick fanbase: Git er done!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10862707/senator-harry-reid-urges-nfl-follow-nba-end-washington-redskins-nickname

Chances are, you are probably right.

The last case got overturned on a technicality.... that the plaintiffs were "too old" and should have brought the case up earlier. :rolleyes:

In 1999, a panel ruled to cancel the trademarks after a 16-year battle with Native American groups. It was eventually overturned on a technicality after the courts decided that the plaintiffs were too old and should have filed their complaint soon after the Redskins registered their nickname in 1967.

Danny Boy took one in the shorts today.

Now I can't wait to see RPG3 blow up that "team" and get Jaccpot all riled up :groovy:

The last case got overturned on a technicality.... that the plaintiffs were "too old" and should have brought the case up earlier. :rolleyes:

Hey, it worked. :D

Hopefully Danny Boy has another trick up his sleeve.

Danny Boy took one in the shorts today.

Now I can't wait to see RPG3 blow up that "team" and get Jaccpot all riled up :groovy:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2014/06/18/loss-of-redskins-trademark-registration-is-overblown/

Today I am getting to see the true feelings of a lot of local Skins fans, many friends of mine and it's sadly downright embarrassing. Many think the name shouldn't be changed yet are throwing insults back and fourth towards native Americans. Most think it's just another plot from Obama to destroy the world. Again sadly most do not know the history of this because it goes back long before Obama was in the White House.

The R-words still won't win the division... so there!

This story is going to further cloud their season, be a major distraction.

No, you currently don't see the public outcry over those names, but as we continue to evolve as a culture that's more sensitive to the vocal minority, those names will inevitably be brought up and debated. As mentioned in the other thread about the Skins' name, one of the most vocal groups opposed to the Redskins name has also rallied against many of the names you mentioned. Their campaign against these names may be dismissed for a time, but eventually will gather steam and we will re-enter this debate.

Oh I agree and like I said, there have been some teams, in college, high school etc who have dropped their native American names out of respect. IF this happens to end the Redskins name, i'm sure it puts more pressure on those other teams. Teams like the Cleveland Indians have dropped some of the native American imaginary has have the Atlanta Braves.

Today I am getting to see the true feelings of a lot of local Skins fans, many friends of mine and it's sadly downright embarrassing. Many think the name shouldn't be changed yet are throwing insults back and fourth towards native Americans. Most think it's just another plot from Obama to destroy the world. Again sadly most do not know the history of this because it goes back long before Obama was in the White House.

I posted one quote from ES in the other thread:
Congratulations stupid Native American and liberal groups. We can now change our name and the failures of Native American society can once again become an after thought.

It's incredible to me that PC NAs are winning instead of people who could have leveraged the Redskins and teams like them to bring more resources and awareness of the challenges in those communities.

If I'm Dan Snyder and I'm forced to change this name, I move forward totally ignoring the plight of Native Americans in this country. Great outcome, PC crowd

*facepalm*

A lot of good stuff over there. They really are making a great case for themselves :rolleyes:

184 years ago, white people in this country engaged in 'Ethnic Cleansing' of red people

176 years ago Missouri's Governer made it legal to kill Mormons.

100 years ago women could not vote

Until 1954 'Seperate but Equal' was the law.

In 1960 it was a big deal that JFK was 'gasp' Catholic!

In the early 80's AIDS was pretty much ignored because it was mostly killing gay men.

Some morons really want to talk about precedent from 1937 or 1967 as meaning anything in 2014?

If you are on Danny Boy's side, take a long look at the list above and get a clue.

The name is an outright slur and only corruption has kept it in place this long.

It doesn't matter if you like offensive names.

It doesn't matter if they pay 200 native americans to pretend it is not a slur.

It doesn't matter what a corrupt politician ruled 20 years ago.

It doesn't matter what some PoS who tortures the DC football fans for every last dime thinks.

The name will change