gritzRgreat

Rolling R-word's (Trademark Pending) updates..

Redskins win trademark fight over name as Justice Department gives up

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/29/redskins-win-trademark-fight-over-name-as-justice-department-gives-up/

The Redskins will remain the Redskins.

The NFL club officially won after the Justice Department, in a letter to a federal appeals court, abandoned its legal fight over the Redskins name, according to the Associated Press.

The department conceded last week’s Supreme Court decision in Matal v. Tam in favor of an Asian-American band calling itself the Slants means the NFL team will prevail. There are no more legal battles for the Redskins, allowing them to keep the name some allege disparages Native Americans.

Redskins Owner Dan Snyder said last week he was "thrilled” by the Supreme Court’s ruling.

Per the Associated Press, the Redskins case had been on hold in the federal appeals court while the Slants decision was rendered. The Supreme Court found that Simon Tam could trademark the Slants as the name of his Asian-American rock band because it would be unconstitutional for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to discriminate against it, citing the First Amendment’s free speech protection. The justices were unanimous in saying the 71-year-old trademark law barring disparaging terms infringes free speech rights.

"Consistent with Tam, the Court should reverse the judgment of the district court and remand the case with instructions to enter judgment in favor of Pro-Football,” Mark Freeman, an attorney for the Justice Department’s civil division, wrote to the Richmond, Virginia-based 4th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Oh well, we can still mock their racist name and their racist history which began with their racist founder JPM. And their current owner wont change it because dollars. 

And it will stop Snyder from trotting out fake native american chiefs to defend their name.

So sleep well. Freedom of speech is protected and so is our freedom to mock how awful the R-words are.

:usa:

On 7/6/2017 at 1:53 AM, gameshowfan91 said:

Snyder might sign Cousins to top QB money just to keep him away from Shanahan and 49ers: https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/7/5/15921632/dan-snyder-kirk-cousins-contract-rumors-spite. If true, that would be a very dumb thing to do. :roll:

I think they pooped the bed either way. They are in no mans land.

4 hours ago, bobbywizdum said:

I think they pooped the bed either way. They are in no mans land.

A Redskins fan of 59 years said that if they let Cousins go, he/she would burn Redskins gear and be a Ravens fan. All that because (if) they let an average QB go. :roll: 

Wait, so THATs the straw that breaks the camels back for him?

5 hours ago, paco said:

Wait, so THATs the straw that breaks the camels back for him?

Redskins fans are not the smartest peanuts in the turd ....  Its like they are brainwashed and can not see anything else besides what Danny boys wants them too 

Looks like Cousins won't be signing today, at least according to Schefter. He could slightly regress this year after losing Garcon and Desean but I think he will have another good year and then hit the open market and walk.

2 hours ago, metalhead0043 said:

Looks like Cousins won't be signing today, at least according to Schefter. He could slightly regress this year after losing Garcon and Desean but I think he will have another good year and then hit the open market and walk.

They could tag him for a 3rd year

They could but next year it's like $34 million or something stupid like that. By that point they might as well have just given him the deal he wanted. It would cost less. Silly Redskins.

Bruce Allen claims they offered Kirk the highest guaranteed money in QB history, and didn't get a response back. Whether you believe that or not speaks volumes. If you believe it, no dollar amount was going to get Kirk to sign a LTD in Washington. If you don't believe, Bruce Allen is ballsy enough to lie to the entire world and expect to get away with it. 

IMO, I'm glad he didn't sign that deal, if it really happened. Kirk isn't worth that money and I've been against overpaying him since that Giants game he choked in.  

Either way, even making that statement virtually murders any chance Kirk will sign in 2018. How is the next QB draft class looking? Because one of them is going to be a Redskin this time next year. 

Eh, I pretty much agree.  2015 he had a great overall season and I would argue Washington was right to tag him.  Last year he put up some pretty good numbers too (More yards, less TDs, about even INTs) but the team faltered at the end.  And he did that with Garcon and Jackson.

Personally, I don't buy him being paid like some of the other top tier guys as I don't see him as the guy that makes his WRs better like a Brady or has that "it" factor to will his team to win like Rodgers.  If he has a great season with a virtually new cast at WR (sans Crowder), then you pay him.  

50 minutes ago, paco said:

If he has a great season with a virtually new cast at WR (sans Crowder), then you pay him.  

Well, someone will pay him lol. 

There are some tweets that are denying Allen's claims about the LTD offer. Regardless, he is done in Washington after this season. If Bruce lied, I can't see Kirk staying. And if he really didn't even respond to an offer that would've made him the highest paid QB in NFL history, then he DEFINITELY doesn't want to play in Washington. 

the problem is ... they already over paid him 2 years in a row with the tag .... now he wont excpet anything less then what the tag is worth.... In his mind he is worth whatever the TAG price is .... Just because the tag is worth 25 million   does not mean he is 

2 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

the problem is ... they already over paid him 2 years in a row with the tag .... now he wont excpet anything less then what the tag is worth.... In his mind he is worth whatever the TAG price is .... Just because the tag is worth 25 million   does not mean he is 

I see what you mean, and I agree. I just feel like the rumors of him wanting to join Shanahan or McVay must be true. He will play out this season, and knowing the Skins aren't going to tag him for 34.5 million, go out in FA and sign at least a 4 year deal somewhere else. 

If this FO was smart(which they aren't, hence my avatar) they would've transition tagged him. It would've been a lower dollar amount to play out the season, and it wouldn't be too scary for teams that wouldn't mind giving up a non-first round pick for a competent QB. That would've been better than him walking next season for nothing. 

Just now, NIBGoldenchild said:

I see what you mean, and I agree. I just feel like the rumors of him wanting to join Shanahan or McVay must be true. He will play out this season, and knowing the Skins aren't going to tag him for 34.5 million, go out in FA and sign at least a 4 year deal somewhere else. 

If this FO was smart(which they aren't, hence my avatar) they would've transition tagged him. It would've been a lower dollar amount to play out the season, and it wouldn't be too scary for teams that wouldn't mind giving up a non-first round pick for a competent QB. That would've been better than him walking next season for nothing. 

As soon as they did get a LTD done last year the Skins shot themselsve in the foot .  The gave Kirk all the power .... It was a lose lose situation for them .  The either lose kirk  or grossly over pay for him .  But like I said  they kinda already over paid for him twice now.  They should of delt him away while they had a chance with a transition like you said   but again its Danny and bruce  :D 

NFL in July is boring.  Here is a throwback from 10 years ago.

With Portis out at least a month, Redskins sign Curtis Martin, Jim Brown, Michael Jordan

After receiving the news that running back Clinton Portis will miss at least one month and possibly the entire season after breaking a bone in his hand during Sunday's lopsided loss at Philadelphia, Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder moved quickly. This morning, the Redskins signed Jets rusher Curtis Martin, football icon Jim Brown, and former Chicago Bulls great Michael Jordan to long-term contracts. 

PH2006042900225.jpg
(l-r) Snyder, Cerrato, and Redskins 

coach Joe Gibbs announce their big, big news.

Contract specifics were not immediately known, but team sources indicated the Redskins parted with up to 10 future first-round draft picks, and will make the trio the highest-paid backfield in league history. The group joins Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Mike Sellers, and T.J. Duckett on the team's already deep running back core.

In a rare news conference, Snyder called the signings "a milestone for Redskins fans."

"We have one goal here," Snyder said. "Well, two goals actually. First, we want to win a Super Bowl. And secondly, we want to make money. Lots and lots of money. These three legendary players are sure to accomplish both in short order."

Brown, 70, has not played a down of competitive football since his retirement in 1966.

"Jim Brown is an absolute giant in his sport," Snyder said. "I asked [Owner lackey] Vinny [Cerrato] if Jim was available. Vinny said he was, and to me, it was a no-brainer. I told Vinny, 'let's do what it takes to go out and get him in a Redskins uniform.'"

When asked if the decision to sign Martin, 
who will miss the season and could retire due to chronic knee injuries, was somewhat short-sighted, Snyder grew testy.

"Let me turn the tables for just a moment, and ask you a question," Snyder said. "How much money do you make?"

When the reporter responded that he did not see how that was relevant, Snyder persisted.

"Seriously. How much? I know you people don't make that much. I'll be generous and say $50,000 a year. Well, the Redskins -- which I own -- are 
worth more than $1 billion. That is my worth. See this fingernail? I'm going to bite it off. One second. Okay, see it on the floor now? That's a $50,000 fingernail, easy. So basically, that's you. I literally just chewed you up and spit you out. So maybe we should think twice before we decide to wear the Daddy Pants, okay? 

"Sure, all my pants are in boys sizes, but they're big metaphorically, D."

It is unclear how Jordan, a former basketball player, fits into the Redskins' plans.

michael-jordan-1.jpg
Redskins owner Daniel Snyder knows
Michael Jordan from the TV.

"He's one of the best to ever play the game," Snyder said with an incredulous chortle. "I'm sure we'll find a way to work him in. Look, I don't know what kind of rock you all have been living under, but hello? Michael Jordan? Ever heard of him? Is he or is he not a famous athlete that everyone has seen on TV a million times?"

"Yes," muttered some of the reporters.

"I can't hear you!" said Snyder.

"Yes!"

"Thank you. Next question please. Jesus, you guys are nuts!"

The loss of Portis could affect the team's usual season plan, in which they go on a too-little, too-late winning streak after being virtually eliminated from the playoffs so that they can continue to string fans along and charge league-high prices.

"We're going to turn this team around," Snyder said. "Because if we don't, how do we justify $8,000 season tickets, $12 hot dogs, and $20 beers? Answer: we can't. I think the signings we've made today mark a new era in Redskins football. I wanted to put my stamp on this franchise, and I think I have accomplished that."

22 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

As soon as they did get a LTD done last year the Skins shot themselsve in the foot .  The gave Kirk all the power .... It was a lose lose situation for them .  The either lose kirk  or grossly over pay for him .  But like I said  they kinda already over paid for him twice now.  They should of delt him away while they had a chance with a transition like you said   but again its Danny and bruce  :D 

They basically wasted a ton of time , money and resources in the same draft on QBs  and will end up with nothing and no one.lol

1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

They basically wasted a ton of time , money and resources in the same draft on QBs  and will end up with nothing and no one.lol

That had me wondering, do they have anyone on the roster left from that draft?

1 2 Washington Redskins Robert Griffin III  QB Baylor Big 12 from St. Louis [R1 - 1];
2011 Heisman Trophy winner [N 2]
  3 71 Washington Redskins Josh LeRibeus  G SMU C-USA from Buffalo [R3 - 4]
  4 102 Washington Redskins Kirk Cousins  QB Michigan State Big Ten  
  4 119 Washington Redskins Keenan Robinson  LB Texas Big 12 from Pittsburgh [R4 - 11]
  5 141 Washington Redskins Adam Gettis  G Iowa Big Ten  
  6 173 Washington Redskins Alfred Morris  RB Florida Atlantic Sun Belt from Minnesota [R6 - 2]
  6 193 Washington Redskins Tom Compton  OT South Dakota Great West from Pittsburgh [R6 - 10]
  7 213 Washington Redskins Richard Crawford  CB SMU C-USA  
  7 217 Washington Redskins Jordan Bernstine  CB Iowa Big Ten from Buffalo [R7 - 3]

Nope

1 hour ago, paco said:

I was thinking in terms of the QB but, by this post they literally have no one lmao

3 hours ago, paco said:

I'm sure Mike Shanahan would say Dan Snyder forced him to draft all of those players if you asked him today. That guy has been a mediocre talent evaluator for every position except RB, yet never accepts responsibility for anything. 

I think Kirk wants out. He senses their management doesn't have things in order and he is probably offended about how things played out last year. So, he'll walk after this year.  I don't think it's just about money now.

12 hours ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

I'm sure Mike Shanahan would say Dan Snyder forced him to draft all of those players if you asked him today. That guy has been a mediocre talent evaluator for every position except RB, yet never accepts responsibility for anything. 

I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered the story was that he wanted no part of RG3 and Kirk was "his" pick.

Its funny watching this whole Kirk thing unfold and the comments from all the various sites from Redskins fans .   They just fail to see whats rightt in front of the then and whats going on .  Its always Sunny in Redskins Land.