gritzRgreat

Rolling R-word's (Trademark Pending) updates..

The controversy over the name is just soy-based hysteria.   "I am offended, so you can't say that!"   How did any of these people survive grade school is beyond me.

5 hours ago, Mortimer said:

The controversy over the name is just soy-based hysteria.   "I am offended, so you can't say that!"   How did any of these people survive grade school is beyond me. 

This is an era where everyone gets a trophy and nobody gets a failing grade.

As for the name 'controversy', I've said many times (maybe in this very thread), that I know a lot of Cherokee and have spoken to them about this and none of them were 'offended' and most of them are Redskins fans (some are Panthers fans, since Cherokee is in NC). They don't view it as 'belittling' them, the view it as 'honoring' them to an extent.

I saw that earlier.   The comments on his tweet are great.  Shows just how classy that fanbase is.

The longer this goes on, the worse it looks for the Redskins.  If they were smart, they would have nipped this in the bud a long time ago.  Bruce Allen is far from smart, though.  I predict nothing will happen here.  Trent won't report.  Bruce won't trade him.   

3 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

If they were smart ...

That eliminates the Redskins from most (if not all) conversations... at least for as long as Danny Boy's their owner.

Having grown up in the D.C. area and having two of my brothers being Redskins fans, I 'got to know' the Redskins fairly well in the 70's and 80's. One of my uncles even lived next door to Joe Gibbs at one point. Back then, they had a good owner. One that even though you hated the Redskins, you could respect how he ran the team.

The "Trent is holding out because he smoked weed and doesn't want to test" idiocy is in full steam over there.   This might have been my favorite exchange:

The drug test thing is a non-starter...unless Trent gave a clean sample in April and has been self-medicating his "cancer trauma” since then.

Haha "cancer trauma” 

So they are down to what?  65 year old Penn and Erick Flowers?

I'm curious if that is still on the table. That was the rumor several weeks ago when Wynn was struggling. He has since bounced back

42 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I think if the Texans offered that, they would take it.  You give him to the Pats and you guarantee yourself getting pick #32.

26 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I think if the Texans offered that, they would take it.  You give him to the Pats and you guarantee yourself getting pick #32.

Even if it's a late 1st, it still holds a lot more value than a high 2nd since you get the 5th year option.  That's why we were able to get an additional second out of Baltimore for pick #32 last year.

Just now, paco said:

Even if it's a late 1st, it still holds a lot more value than a high 2nd since you get the 5th year option.  That's why we were able to get an additional second out of Baltimore for pick #32 last year.

I do think it's excellent value either ways.  The Texans pick would be even greater value, maybe a 3rd or 2nd rdr's worth better.  Redskins are clearly being stubborn here and they really shouldn't be.  Trent Williams maybe wins them one more game, 4 wins instead of 3.  Just get on with the rebuild already.  If there is one and only one thing the Skins do very well in terms of player acquisition, it's drafting in the 1st couple rounds, cuz lord knows they are pathetic at trades and FA.

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

I do think it's excellent value either ways.  The Texans pick would be even greater value, maybe a 3rd or 2nd rdr's worth better.  Redskins are clearly being stubborn here and they really shouldn't be.  Trent Williams maybe wins them one more game, 4 wins instead of 3.  Just get on with the rebuild already.  If there is one and only one thing the Skins do very well in terms of player acquisition, it's drafting in the 1st couple rounds, cuz lord knows they are pathetic at trades and FA.

I agree with much of what you said.  The bolded part had me thinking...  Just how good have they been?  Lets look at the picks since 2010, Trent's rookie year but more importantly the start of the Bruce Allen regime.

2010    1.4    Trent Williams    - Great pick
2011    1.16    Ryan Kerrigan    - Great pick
2012    1.2    Robert Griffin III    - :roll:
2013    No Pick
2014    No Pick
2015    1.5    Brandon Scherff    - Looking like a great pick, at minimum very good
2016    1.22    Josh Doctson     - Unless he turns it around this year, major bust
2017    1.17    Jonathan Allen    - TBD  (Missed most of his rookie year, last year was decent with 8 sacks, 15 qb hits and 61 total tackles)
2018    1.13    Daron Payne    - TBD (Very promising rookie year)
2019    1.15    Dwayne Haskins    - TBD  (looks like great value)
2019    1.26    Montez Sweat    - TBD (Also looks like great value)

Of their top five picks, they have one grand slam knocked out of the ball park with Trent.  Brandon I'm not quite ready to put "great" on just yet, but he is damn close  (Also, I'd like to point out this was a GMSM pick that was contraversial at the time within their fanbase... good thing they ran him out the door).  And one MAJOR wiff in RG3.

Of the middle first rounders, they did great in 2011 with Ryan Kerrigan.  Allen looks promising, but too early to assign a grade IMO.  And Payne and Haskins look like great value at their draft position, but are wayyyy too early to grade.

While they don't win often, they do have two late round picks. One was in thanks to a division winning 9-7 season, which yielded them Doctson, who they can't wait to show the door.  The other one is Sweat who they trade up into the 2nd round for.   Sweat fell due to what appears to be a misdiagnosed heart condition, so depending if it is their doctors telling him he is good to go or real actual doctors, this could be a steal as well.

Finally, do we take into consideration 2013 and 2014 in the overall grade?  Those picks were sucked into the black hole of RGIII making his selection all the more disastrous?

So 2 GREAT picks, 1 Very Good teetering on Great pick, and two busts, one of epic proportions.  

I'm still very high on Allen and Payne.  I think there will be legitimate hype about them as the best DT tandem in football by the end of the year. 

:lol: That's going to dampen their mood.

When the report dropped earlier today the tone was "let the bidding war begin1!!1"

Why?  He still has like 8 or 9 toes