gritzRgreat

Rolling R-word's (Trademark Pending) updates..

Just heard Ray Diddy say that in the three games of this season, the Redskins have only converted seven third downs... SEVEN third down conversions TOTAL in 3 full games. Wow. Gruden is gone.

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Just heard Ray Diddy say that in the three games of this season, the Redskins have only converted seven third downs... SEVEN third down conversions TOTAL in 3 full games. Wow. Gruden is gone.

I hope he stays and Snyder lives a long healthy life

Jay Gruden and the Redskins are strangely optimistic despite 0-3 start

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/27/jay-gruden-redskins-are-strangely-optimistic-despite-start/

With his team stuck in a winless morass and his job in jeopardy, Redskins Coach Jay Gruden went to space.

"I’ve seen a guy walk on the moon, for God’s sakes,” he said in a quiet moment after a recent practice. "Surely an 0-3 team can come back from the depths of 0-3 and put on a nine-, 10-game streak and win 10 of their last 13 games. It’s not that big of a deal, right?”

Gruden laughed, but he wasn’t really laughing.

His Redskins have allowed at least 31 points each week as they have lost their first three games. Two people with knowledge of the situation say Gruden could be fired if Washington doesn’t beat the New York Giants on Sunday. Earlier this week, the betting site Bovada.com updated its odds on the NFL coach likeliest to be fired first this year, making Gruden its top choice.

Many national commentators are calling for Gruden to give up on the season and start his rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins, and have plenty of ammunition for their arguments. Trent Williams, the team’s seven-time Pro Bowl left tackle is holding out. Jordan Reed, the top playmaking tight end, has a concussion and no one knows when he might return. Injured running back Derrius Guice isn’t expected to return for at least another six games, and receiver Terry McLaurin, the team’s best offensive threat, has a sore hamstring. The defense that was supposed to be the Redskins’ strength is last or close-to-last in the NFL in most significant categories.

[Perspective: At 0-3, it's time to ask what this Redskins season is about]

Maybe it seems misguided, but in this dire predicament there burns a strange optimism at the Redskins facility. Most around the team are stunned by their slow start. Yes, they knew they were playing three of the league’s better teams the first three weeks of the season, yet they see hope in the way they led the Eagles, 20-7, in their opening game and fought back in the second half against Chicago. Several Redskins have used the word "excited” to describe their feelings.

Even Gruden, who has been uncharacteristically uptight in recent weeks, has seemed more at ease this past week, chuckling at news conferences and cracking jokes.

"It’s the first quarter of the season, man,” cornerback Josh Norman said. "I mean, shoot, if they said you win trophies in September we’d be in trouble. But trophies not won at this time. Trophies are won in December-January.”

And while Norman, who has played in a Super Bowl, might have temporarily forgotten that biggest trophy is actually presented on the first Sunday in February, his point resonated around the locker room, where most players seem to view the season’s dreadful start the same way.

When Norman was reminded about how much he believed before the season in a defense that is now allowing an average of 402 yards a game, he glared at his questioner.

"Yeah. So what, you think that’s changed?” he replied.

Mostly, the Redskins say they are a just couple of plays away from saving the season.

"We’ve just got to make sure that we just continue to focus on what we’re supposed to do out on the practice field, in the meetings and we’ll be good,” embattled defensive coordinator Greg Manusky said.

Former Pro Bowl linebacker Chris Spielman, who will broadcast Sunday’s Redskins-Giants game for Fox, has a theory about football teams. It’s one he says is not talked about enough publicly and yet something players and coaches know well. Confidence matters in a locker room. If a few things go wrong, like a few key players get hurt or opposing teams break some big plays, the feeling of frustration will spill down through the team.

That feeling of frustration sticks until a break comes along, maybe a sack or an interception or an opponent’s penalty, and suddenly the losing will stop.

"They need to have a couple of things happen for them,” Spielman said in a telephone interview.

Then he stopped.

"But you can’t have the breakdowns,” he said.

[Perspective: The Redskins defense was supposed to be a strength. It's not.]

Like many in the Redskins locker room and around the league, Spielman sees nothing structurally wrong with Washington’s defense. He believes there is talent. The thing that jumps out at him when he watches the tape are so many little things — miscommunication between a safety and a cornerback that leads to a big touchdown pass, an offsides penalty that negates a big defensive play, a 15-yard pass play against a zone defense that should have only allowed five or six yards.

All little things. All fixable things.

All offseason, Gruden had an idea for how this season was going to go down.

"The identity I thought we were going to have was the recipe that we had last year at the beginning of the year,” he said. "We ran the ball and controlled the clock and won close games, 20-17.”

It was a formula that worked particularly well because the quarterback, Alex Smith, was adept at leading the offense to early touchdowns or field goals and moving the ball enough to let the defense win a field position battle. Running back Adrian Peterson would run out the game in the second half.

Then Smith went down with a broken leg that is almost certainly career-ending and Williams started his holdout in the spring, leaving the Redskins with a new quarterback and a hastily rebuilt left side of the offensive line. The defense hasn’t been nearly as resilient and Gruden’s plan has crumbled in each of the season’s first three weeks.

"Moving forward, we’ve got to get back to that way of playing football,” he said.

But is that possible? This is a team that has allowed 32, 31 and 31 points in each of its games. It has yet to establish a running game. Case Keenum, the team’s fifth quarterback in its last nine games, is sixth in the league with 933 passing yards, but he had five turnovers against the Bears on Monday night and could have had more.

“”Oh yeah it can work … if the defense is playing good,” Gruden said.

He started to walk through the Chicago game in his mind. The defense stopped the Bears on their first drive but then Keenum threw a pass that former Redskins defensive back Ha Ha Clinton-Dix intercepted and ran back for a touchdown. The Redskins were down, 7-0, and then came a fumble and a missed field goal and more Chicago touchdowns, and suddenly it was 28-0.

"And everybody’s in a tailspin frenzy,” Gruden said.

What encourages Gruden is the way the team didn’t give up in the second half against Chicago. He likes the way his defensive players seemed to play harder at just a time when they should feel like quitting. He likes that the offense scrapped its way back into the game against one of the league’s best defenses.

Gruden points out that the Redskins were on the Bears’ 16 with 7:00 left in the game and had a chance to cut the Chicago lead to just six points, when Keenum tried to dive over the top of the offensive line on a quarterback sneak on fourth-and-1, only to have the ball knocked from his hands. Gruden shakes his head at the memory. He has no idea why Keenum tried to jump on a play where the quarterback was supposed to push forward and hopefully fall ahead one yard. But he can’t hate the play, either. It showed Keenum was trying to fight no matter how poorly things turned out.

"I think we’ve done a pretty good job of getting people in this building who can handle adversity,” he said. "That’s a part of what why you draft who you draft and who you go after in free agency because when you have a quarterback shuffle you aren’t going to be 16-0 every year and you’re going to have some adversity throughout the course of the season.

"And we knew and I knew that was going to happen and want the right types of guys in this locker room who can help carry you through this.”

Then Gruden stood up. He shrugged.

"I still feel there is so much football to be played,” he said. "I’ve seen teams start out 3-0 and finish 5-11.”

He is sure the big turnaround is around the corner.

Looks like Jay Gruden is going to be fired any day now.  Videos of him drunk have been leaked to twitter.

I'm not saying the videos are going to get him fired, I'm saying every time they fire someone the R-Words run their names through the mud.

:roll: 

They read my post! :excited:

I have NO doubt that the skins FO leaked this.  They can’t see further than the single "problem” in front of them.  They think that by removing the single "problem”, whatever it is, will magically turn the franchise back on the right path.  

But in reality, all they are doing is digging a deeper ditch for themselves.  I’m not even talking players here.  They released the Scott McClohan(spelling?) news about him still drinking, when they wanted to dump him.  So now, any GM worth a damn is going to avoid the skins like the plague, knowing that any skeletons in their closet is going to make the top story on ESPN and every sports new outlet.   Now it’s sooooooo obvious they did this to Jay, with this video as well.  What coach is going to want to come to DC?  It will be Jim Zorn 2.0 

Add that to the fact that no government entity in DC, Maryland nor Virginia will give ‘lil Danny the time of day, let alone a stadium deal, and you have the potential for the skins, who have been trash for the last 20 years, to get much, MUCH worse.

As someone who has lived in the DC area since ‘92, the height of skins fans’ arrogance, I am enjoying this so very much.

9 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

Can the league step in? Daniel Snyder’s Redskins have been an embarrassment for so long.

Not unless Snyder does something highly anti-PC, or illegal and is indicted or something like that... or maybe gets sued for sexual harassment. Short of those things, as an Eagles fan, I'd prefer that he just keep on being Danny Boy.

Has that video been proven to actually be Jay Gruden? I know it looks like him and all but just didnt know if it was confirmed. 

Can someone explain to me what’s the issue with Jay out drinking or whatever he was doing? 

2 hours ago, SBorBust said:

Can the league step in? Daniel Snyder’s Redskins have been an embarrassment for so long.

Why?  As an eagles fans, I am loving it.  As and eagles fan in the DC area, it’s f’n awesome.

3 hours ago, pisceschica said:

Can someone explain to me what’s the issue with Jay out drinking or whatever he was doing? 

Most likely nothing but, Snyder will put a spin on it to make it like he was drinking when he should be going over game film or some nonsense. I do find it odd that a NFL coach is sitting on a sidewalk with a bunch of young kids like he is in college or some crap lol

1 hour ago, mike030270 said:

Is there some great QB draft prospect that they'll be tanking for?

Hope so, that will mean they wasted their 1st round pick from last year

14 minutes ago, CountBlah said:

Hope so, that will mean they wasted their 1st round pick from last year

Haskins has looked terrible when he went in.  To be fair, he has no offensive line and no receivers.  

They are about to hit a new rock bottom when they lose to the Dolphins next week.  

7 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Haskins has looked terrible when he went in.  To be fair, he has no offensive line and no receivers.  

They are about to hit a new rock bottom when they lose to the Dolphins next week.  

I don’t know. The skins can put up a good quarter, here and there. I’ve not seen Miami even do that this year.