Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] RBs Take Center Stage In Win

ATV is a good man and great Eagle fan...like U ham. I could not get a seat at the bar last night...place was packed.

3D... morning my friend. I still can't get into EEB, so here I am... shocking to still see so few here.

So, I haven't seen what the general feeling for the game last night was... but mine is probably a lil less sunshiney than mosts.... I ax youse... iffin it wasn't for a blocked FG (can't count on that EVERY week can we?), the flag for offensive PI (which was bogus as Aso was clearly grabbing and holdind before the WR pushed him off... and would have resulted in a 1st n goal at the 4, instead of 1st n 20, and ending up in a punt), a roughing the passer call (also bogus, and not only led to a score, but should have been cleveland ball on the 50), and a muffed punt... what would the score at halftime REALLY have been??? Blocked FG, two very bad calls against cleveland, and two muffed punts... iffin we need ALL that to be leading a team like the browns... IMO we have a looooong way to go. MERCY!

Hmmmm. ATV, I seem to remember that Asante had a blocked FG last week too.... guess we can count on it every week so far...

Spiffy Long Stockings... iffin that makes you feel better... go wiff it... but, I don't think we got one in the first PS game....did we... so, no not every week... can we?

Now... obviously, we got the benefit of some calls, messy plays by cleveland etc... but, on the positive... we took advantage and capatalized on them and put points on the board... that's encouraging to say the least. We looked decent in the RZ too... those are the good things.... but IMO last nights game was not as lopsided as the scoreboard indicated.

So, what is it? The glass is half empty? Isn't the productivity of the running game a positive? How about the pick by Asante? The scrambing of Vick and Young? The tackling and run-stuffing of Matthews? Coleman bringing big hits? None of that matters? Just don't count on it every week?

Last night was a 180 from what we've seen in recent yers wiff da birds... usually we are a great O from 20 to 20... then stall in the RZ. Last night, not very good at all 20 to 20, but looked very good in the RZ.... now iffin we put it all together... LOOK OUT!!!

Spiff... nope the glas is clearly half full... but iffin you read my post, I said we have a loooong way to go... doesn't mean we can't get there... in fact, I think we will. My point was, that some go by scoreboard alone to factor how the team played... and IMO the scoreboard was not indicative of how the game was played last night.

Spiff... so, had we not blocked that FG, not gotten the benfit of that offensive PI, the roughing the passer call to negate an INT, and recovered a muffed punt at their 20... what do you think the score at half would have been??? IMO coulda easily been 17-0 nothing still... just in favor of cleveland.

But yes... Asante is still good, our RB's are going to be a strong spot... I'd argue Casey's performance wiff ya... he got seriously trucked a few times by Hillis... though he did get better as the game went on... and I like him...

But thats the point. The special teams are better because Bobby Aprils is finally giving what was promised when we hired him. Muffed punts and blocked FG? You think that those were flukes and to not count on them? What I saw was great planning and brilliant execution. Was Asante on the FG blocking team last year? Maybe, I don't remember. But did we put a special effort into blocking FGs last year. I think not. So, 2 blocked FGs in 2 weeks is not a fluke, but a trend. Can we count on them EVERY week? No, but can we count on more of them this year? You betcha!

Funny... some posters with handheld devices can get into the livefyre comments at EEB... but others like me with my desktop and IE8 cannot get in yet...or even see existing comments to post... Well, the good news is--- if this temporary breakdown helps increase traffic here with some of the fine old guard of OTI, that's a good thing... updates to come.

I will agree that the Pass Int call was close, but they always are. Could have gone either way. The INT called back because of roughing is a part of the game. If that defender never got through to rough the passer, there probably wouldn't have been an INT because Vick would have had more time to make a better throw...

As for KILLA... he's making too many tackles IMO... but, he does so very well. Just usually not the best thing when your S leads your team in tackles 2 weeks in a row... not sure about him in pass coverage either. Page look ok last night... though IMO he got lucky on that one pass he was defending that the guy got behind him that 1. Colt doesn't have a strong arm and 2. The guy dropped the ball.... other than that Page was quiet, and I kinda prefer not hearing the S's names called too much.

Agreed about S names being called too much. But isn't the new defensive scheme to put the wide 9s in for the rushing and pummelling of RB and QB and being backed up by drawing in the S to cover any that get around the outside?

Spiff.. Bobby April had NOTHING to do with cleveland muffing 2 punts... that was the rain. Good we covered them up and then took advantage of those mistakes... but if you "need" that... then you're gonna have a long year. That PI was close, I admit... should have been a no call IMO (both guys doing stuff), but the WR caught the ball and therefore then a no call IMO would have put them 1st n goal at the 4. That roughing the passer call... again, IMO was bogus. Iffin Cole did that to a QB and flag got thrown I'd have been pissed... especially since it should have been an INT and put the ball on the 50... IMO that was another break we received... but again we took advantage of that break... that's what good teams do... so, I'm very encouraged by last night... but still think we need to clean up alot and have a lot of work to do to win a SB.

Spiff... once lupes gets the EEB fixed and running in tip top shape... you should come join us over there... I think you'd enjoy the convo and insight.

A lot of work? Yes, that is putting it mildly. I am very encouraged with what I saw so far, though, and am looking forward to regular season so that the play calling will be "actual" game plans not this "vanilla" stuff we get now.

Spiff...agreed. I think when we lose the vanilla the O will get back on track... as long as we get this Oline figured out too. Vick taking too many hits so far... glad he's gonna get a couple weeks off to rest his legs... just hope he won't need em that much week 1. Here's the link to lupes place... but it's still having technical dificulties so don't get scared off iffin you can't get in at first. http://www.eagleseyeblog.com

BTW, loved seeing Sheldon running into his own punt returner making a fumble and loved even more seeing Jon Dorenboch(sp?) cover it!

I remember several times a season, on kickoffs,....the opposing team's return-man would get through our guys, and David Akers would have to lay a hit on the guy to get him out of bounds,..... There is a morbid side of me, that can't wait, for some 210 lb return man with a head of steam break through our special teams, so that I can see what Alex Henery does (whose a pencil-necked spindle-armed adolescent) when he has to prevent a TD. He might literally get broken in half. His head looks like it rests upon a tooff-pick.