Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bdbd20

RIP Al Davis

I'd add Lamar Hunt (the founder of the AFL) to the list too. Also, Tex Schramm was the GM of the Cowboys, but Clint Murchison owned the team.

Wow I didnt even know that. Amazing because he represented the Cowboys in every way.

Wow I didnt even know that. Amazing because he represented the Cowboys in every way.

Murchison was pretty much the polar opposite of Jerruh. He was content to stay out of the limelight and let his football people make decisions, and was extremely patient, giving Tom Landry a 10 year extension even though the Cowboys had never had a winning season at that point.

I think he does have kids but they where never interested in running the team

:nonono: What morons.

Al Davis and Tex Schramm probably go down as the two most important owners in NFL history.

Tex Schramm was never an owner, only a GM...back then the Cowboys were owned by Clint Murchison who preferred to stay out of the limelight...the complete opposite of what we have today.

No matter What his last few years brought He was a Legend and I think everyone has alil Love for the Raiders. He hired some of the best coaches in the NFL, broke barriers, and so much more. I hate to say he will be missed in a league that's turning vanilla every year. JUST WIN, BABY!

Al Davis and Tex Schramm probably go down as the two most important owners in NFL history.

Don't diminish Bert Bell, he was a fairly important NFL owner in his own right. He created the NFL Draft.

Don't leave out Lamar Hunt, Wellington Mara, and some others.

Like the man or not, Al Davis was truly a pioneer and an important factor in helping to make the NFL what it is today. Ice Cube said in a phone interview earlier today, how boring would the NFL have been without Al Davis? And that's true. The downfield passing game wouldn't be what it is without the Raiders. Al Davis wasn't just a Raider, he was THE Raider. Even though he wasn't what he once was in terms of what he'd been able to do in recent years, I think the Raiders are gonna have a hard time trying to replace him. The NFL truly lost one of its biggest & brightest stars today.

Davis was an original. Should be interesting to see the real Hue Jackson coaching now without the second guessing.

How?

Ya, I don't see the correlation myself...seems like he said it because they both died in the past few days :huh: