DaveSpadaro

Post Your EMB Questions/Concerns Here

Guest frenchladyfan

Ok, I wasn't criticizing... personally, I like the feature but to each their own.

i sincerely don't understand what there is to like. why would one purposefully type several posts back to back in the hope that they are collaged together in one big post ? explain to me, please. i fail to see why it's so nice. i just don't get it. i don't mean to be snippy or anything, perticularly to you vabeach, i quite honestly don't understand the benefits of keeping it, as opposed to the inconveniences for those who do want to create separate posts in a row.

i sincerely don't understand what there is to like. why would one purposefully type several posts back to back in the hope that they are collaged together in one big post ? explain to me, please. i fail to see why it's so nice. i just don't get it. i don't mean to be snippy or anything, perticularly to you vabeach, i quite honestly don't understand the benefits of keeping it, as opposed to the inconveniences for those who do want to create separate posts in a row.

For one, it keeps threads condensed. Secondly it keeps the database smaller and better organized which helps with speed and access issues. Some of those database errors we all kept getting may well have been because the database was so large and had those huge threads that had to be deleted. Seems silly that that would be an issue, but seemingly it is.

Thirdly, it annoys me to see 5 or 6 posts one after the other all from the same person when all they had to do was use the multi quote feature rather than posting one after another after another after another. I've done it myself with more than one post in a row and when I realized that I did it it annoyed me that I did it.

Lastly, it's my preference, I just like the feature. I sincerely don't understand why it would be a problem for anyone. If you're posting in the same thread and posting multiple times in less than a 5 minute span with nobody else posting at all in that thread then why would it matter if the board appends it to your most recent post? I'm completely open to change my opinion of the feature if a logical reason is given. But those reasons would have to outweigh the issues that the database might have.

Guest frenchladyfan

nonono. you are not gonna lure me into this using technical arguments. i don't give a fiddler's fart about the database and neither should you. my question was, as a poster, what it is that makes you like this feature so much. i might have not emphasized that enough.

so you haven't convinced me. each of the differentiated posts might, for instance, be specifically addressed to someone. not everybody reads all the posts, i would assume. i know i don't, that's for sure.

each of the differentiated posts might be written, i don't know, in a different mindset. one might be a joke, the other a serious football-related one. i don't understand why i would have to allow a software (invision) to post in my stead, almost.

if i decide to post several times in a row (i did so yesterday underneath oti, that's how i came to be aware of the amalgamation), it's for a specific purpose. mainly yesterday, i was testing some features. then i decided to mention my desire of having michael floyd in midnight green. so it got mixed with the previous tongue-in-cheek test posts. it's a blithering mess that's all.

i for one don't mind reading several posts by the same person. i don't care. but i demand that my posting manner, and the way i phrase my posts and compose them, be respected by invision, which at the present is not the case.

and again, the database size etc, is the least of my concerns. i am all in favour of cutting invision some slack when they experiment, but i don't like them interfering. they should at least allow each poster the will to chose whether to combine posts or not.

of course, i'm making a bid deal of it because i really dislike it, but in the great scope of things, with regards to what previous haphazards and malfunctions we encountered here, i wanna say again that i'm in heaven.

nonono. you are not gonna lure me into this using technical arguments. i don't give a fiddler's fart about the database and neither should you. my question was, as a poster, what it is that makes you like this feature so much. i might have not emphasized that enough.

As an IT professional, those technical arguments and databases and such are of interest to me. Should they be of interest to you? Yes and no. No, because you aren't interested in them, which is fine. Yes, because those technical things affect your experience here. Suppose it took 5 minutes to load the page every time you clicked something? Would that be ok or would that tend to piss you off and make you stop visiting the site? The technical things are things that you as a poster need not be concerned about, but you should want someone to be concerned about them.

so you haven't convinced me. each of the differentiated posts might, for instance, be specifically addressed to someone. not everybody reads all the posts, i would assume. i know i don't, that's for sure.

each of the differentiated posts might be written, i don't know, in a different mindset. one might be a joke, the other a serious football-related one. i don't understand why i would have to allow a software (invision) to post in my stead, almost.

if i decide to post several times in a row (i did so yesterday underneath oti, that's how i came to be aware of the amalgamation), it's for a specific purpose. mainly yesterday, i was testing some features. then i decided to mention my desire of having michael floyd in midnight green. so it got mixed with the previous tongue-in-cheek test posts. it's a blithering mess that's all.

I'm not really trying to convince you. You asked me to explain to you why I like it, I was simply explaining to you why I like it. The reasons I posted were mine and are the reasons that are important to me. I wasn't saying that my reasons had to be of concern to you. I was just answering your question.

I would assume that in these seperate posts that you're talking about that you've quoted the person that you are posting to? That alone differentiates the part of the post that is for that person to that person.

i for one don't mind reading several posts by the same person. i don't care. but i demand that my posting manner, and the way i phrase my posts and compose them, be respected by invision, which at the present is not the case.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I for one get annoyed by 6 posts in a row by the same poster when it all could and should have been in one post rather than flooding the thread. Should the feature be disabled, I'll live. It's not that big of a deal for me to demand anything.

and again, the database size etc, is the least of my concerns. i am all in favour of cutting invision some slack when they experiment, but i don't like them interfering. they should at least allow each poster the will to chose whether to combine posts or not.

of course, i'm making a bid deal of it because i really dislike it, but in the great scope of things, with regards to what previous haphazards and malfunctions we encountered here, i wanna say again that i'm in heaven.

The size of the database is something for people to deal with, it's not your concern but like I said before, it could get to a point where the board becomes unresponsive or lags because of the database. I'm no database expert, that's not my field, but I'm all for streamlining to keep things running smoothly. Not injecting politics into it at all but it's like all the governments around the world that are going bankrupt but the citizens riot if their benefits have to get cut even a little.

As for Invision interfering, that's being a little over dramatic about the situation. Invision made the software, the software is just functioning how it was designed to function. Nobody is interfering though.

I understand you dislike the feature and that's totally fine by me. I like it, I really, really want it to stay. Let that be fine too, it's just my opinion. Also, please don't read this post as arguing or snippy or anything like that. It's not intended to be that way and hopefully didn't come off that way. It's just a discussion and just my opinion, offered in the spirit of friendly conversation.

Guest frenchladyfan

i have a different mindset. i understood everything that you outlined to me of course, and it's quite nice to have a point of view explained as thoroughly as you did. i know i can always count on you to be extremely patient with my shortcomings. ta muchly.

but.

i still haven't figured out how your life as a poster will be improved by that new amalgamating feature. what will it bring you that you didn't have before ?

please try and understand how i come to see that as interference. my posts won't be mine anymore. except when i post in a hurry, i try to make them a certain way. i try to convey ideas or feelings. i pay attention to how i post. if it's short, long, addressed to one, collegial, etc. why would i tolerate that all this preparation go down the drain if mixed with the next post ? i don't accept it.

i don't post here as much as i used to, and of course i have no illusion as to the general value of my writings, lolol, but i like to think that what little transpires through what i write is well conveyed. i'm sure i fail several times though, because of the cultural and language and written-word barrier, but still i put a lot of myself in them, so i want them to stay the way i created them.

do you at least see a little bit better what i mean now ? i don't mean you to change your mind or anything. i just try to let you see this feature through my eyes.

Oh I understand your point of view.

How is my posting experience enhanced? Less scrolling. It's a minor thing, but it is what it is. Seeing 5 or 6 posts in a row by the same person isn't life ending, just annoying. It's just a pet peeve.

Off the top of my head though, I can't recall seeing many (if any) posts where you've posted multiple times one after the other after the other.

The board already has flood controls (or it used to anyway), so you already can't post too soon after posting something. This is just another form of flood control.

I think we can both agree though that if this issue is the only issue to arise from the latest upgrade then the board is in good shape and the upgrade was a success.

When all is said and done though, I can see which threads I've previously posted in. The rest is somewhat trivial (to me). I just hope we can go at least a couple of years with this version and not have to upgrade again for a good while.

Guest frenchladyfan

Oh yes definitely, everything is now perfect in the world of Emb, and thanks go out to Dave and webteam, i am pretty sure the Bloggers will be satisfied as well soonish.

My main beef was the lack of android version and it's now fixed. Bliss !

I wonder though, if said mobile versions could be skinned in midnight green. That would be cracking.

Hazleton what are you not satisfied with?

I've talked to Invision about the Blog. It HAS to be cut down. Any slowness you experience, I have been told, is in part because of the length of that blog.

I wonder though, if said mobile versions could be skinned in midnight green. That would be cracking.

I asked Invision to look into this.

Hazleton what are you not satisfied with?

I've talked to Invision about the Blog. It HAS to be cut down. Any slowness you experience, I have been told, is in part because of the length of that blog.

The boards had been running pretty snappy for the last 2 or so weeks. Ever since you guys got all of those SQL errors solved. With the blog at 1600 some pages, the board was running just fine.

Not until this upgrade Friday morning did it slow down.

Like I said, its been very give and take with them. They fix one thing, but take away another. They cant just give us the same product we had that everyone loved.

I like everything else at this point. Im not thrilled about 50 posts per page and all the scrolling you have to do, but whatever. People wanted it and I can live with it. But monthly blogs dont work imo. Theres got to be a better solution.

Even with the tagging feature conveniently putting all of the other blogs right at the bottom of the page for quick referencing, consider for example the fact that we started discussing the draft back in November. Now If I want to reference a previous post on the draft, I could have to check through Novembers blog, Decembers, Januarys, and maybe I dont find the post until I get to Marchs. Its going to become a real pain in the butt as no conversation in the blog works on a month to month basis. It looks convenient now, but it will become cumbersome when we have multiple blogs each year and each will still likely be a few hundred pages. We have been averaging close to 400 posts each day this year in that thread.

Additionally we dont discuss eagles related events specifically for the month of April, then stop talking about that stuff and stick to events that just occur in May, then forget all that, and talk exclusively about events happening in June. We talk about the season in general. Things that happen in the past get brought back up. Thats a year round discussion and theres going to be a lot of disruptions in the flow of that conversation. And single ideas will be scattered throughout multiple archived threads. Its very frustrating to me as thats mainly the place where I do my posting on the EMB.

see we have the little flag now telling us which threads we have posted in, thank you lord!

I think the number of posts per page is an admin function. I will ask. What about Android access for you, French?

I take it someone altered the number of posts per page for everyone? Can you set it so we can control that ourselves? I really dislike having 50 or more posts per page, the default of 20 worked fine for me for the past decade. Or is this a case of Invision subtracting functionality?

Guest frenchladyfan

@dave :

if you guys are determined to keep the conglomerating posts feature, please ask invision to disable it in one area, that is, underneath OTI. it is this area that is the most affected. there is a lot of banter going on. thanks.

Guest frenchladyfan

hmmmfff. not good for oti that's for sure. oh well.

did you guys decide whether you'd maintain it as is (5 mns is an awfully long time) ?

Guest frenchladyfan

if you have read above, mod 5, you know i fail to see what the use of that feature is. to me, it should be disabled. 2 mns or 5 mns makes no difference, i would assume, for a poster underneath oti who addresses different persons in a flurry, sort of like a burst of gunfire.

but thanks anyway.

Oh yes definitely, everything is now perfect in the world of Emb, and thanks go out to Dave and webteam, i am pretty sure the Bloggers will be satisfied as well soonish.

My main beef was the lack of android version and it's now fixed. Bliss !

Frenchie, having the Android mobile version is nice, I agree. Regarding the combination of multiple posts into a single post issue, I have 1 instance in which I like this feature. That is when going back and quoting posts from multiple pages of a thread in a single post. I tend to do this frequently when arguing/debating similar points with multiple posters. That is about the only time that I see it being useful though.

see we have the little flag now telling us which threads we have posted in, thank you lord!

Yes, only took how long after Dave asked for 'just 1 more week', too?

I take it someone altered the number of posts per page for everyone? Can you set it so we can control that ourselves? I really dislike having 50 or more posts per page, the default of 20 worked fine for me for the past decade. Or is this a case of Invision subtracting functionality?

You're looking at it all wrong. This was an upgrade! Don't think of it as Invision subtracting functionality from us, the users, think of it as Invision providing new functionality to the mods! See, upgrade = new features! It is BETTER this way, because there is a NEW FEATURE!!!!

boards running pretty slow for the last 5 minutes (maybe more but I wasnt here to know).

Why do we have a monthly blog again? :D

boards running pretty slow for the last 5 minutes (maybe more but I wasnt here to know).

Why do we have a monthly blog again? :D

I've noticed a slow down pretty much since the upgrade, nothing major for the most part, but sometimes it's really slow.

So, can we get a list of the new features that have been gained through all of these upgrades? I am honestly trying to figure out what has been gained by upgrading. I see no increased functionality for the user and a whole lot of headaches and additional work for the mods/admins to regain functionality that we had before the first 'upgrade'.

What happened to the 'about me' feature in my profile? The previous information I had is gone. You can't save new information.