DaveSpadaro

Post Your EMB Questions/Concerns Here

Guest frenchladyfan

What happened to the 'about me' feature in my profile? The previous information I had is gone. You can't save new information.

fear not, it's indelibly (spelling ?) etched in emb. do you think we can easily forget who you are ?

What happened to the 'about me' feature in my profile? The previous information I had is gone. You can't save new information.

Click on My Settings in your profile, then under "General Account Settings", about halfway down the page, you should see a button that says "Edit my About Me page". Whatever you enter here will appear on the My Profile page, above "Community Stats".

Why does the report function appear and operate under ones own post?

The options fade and appear as you highlight over that area of each post. That's normal.

Click on My Settings in your profile, then under "General Account Settings", about halfway down the page, you should see a button that says "Edit my About Me page". Whatever you enter here will appear on the My Profile page, above "Community Stats".

The options fade and appear as you highlight over that area of each post. That's normal.

I think he/she was asking specifically why the report option is available under your own posts. Like, why would I want to be able to report my own post? What purpose does that function serve? If I don't want it showing up, why not just delete it myself?

fear not, it's indelibly (spelling ?) etched in emb. do you think we can easily forget who you are ?

I have no idea what that person is...

After edit: FLF, I found another reason that it is nice to have te forum automatically merge posts for you- say you wanted to multi-quote a couple of posts, but wanted them in a different order. You used to have to multi-quote then cut and paste them in the reply box. Now, you can just reply to the posts individually in the order that you want them to appear in your final post and they automatically get combined.

Guest frenchladyfan

i just reported my own post... hehehe.

I think he/she was asking specifically why the report option is available under your own posts. Like, why would I want to be able to report my own post? What purpose does that function serve? If I don't want it showing up, why not just delete it myself?

I have no idea what that person is...

After edit: FLF, I found another reason that it is nice to have te forum automatically merge posts for you- say you wanted to multi-quote a couple of posts, but wanted them in a different order. You used to have to multi-quote then cut and paste them in the reply box. Now, you can just reply to the posts individually in the order that you want them to appear in your final post and they automatically get combined.

well, it's nice that this feature has its supporters.

So, can we get a list of the new features that have been gained through all of these upgrades? I am honestly trying to figure out what has been gained by upgrading.

From 2.x to 3.x, Invision added features, removed unused ones and modified others. This isn't a complete list, but here's what is new for members:

* New tagging system that allows members to add "tags" to their topics, letting other members find related topics quickly. For example, if you create a topic about Vick and add a "vick" tag to it, members can quickly see other topics that were tagged with "vick" and go right to them without jumping to other forums or using the search feature. This is common on Twitter (#vick) and other social media websites.

* Topics that don't receive any replies in over a year will be marked as "Archived" and offloaded to a different table to make the system faster. You'll still be able to read the topics like normal, but you won't be able to edit or reply to them.

* Updated warning system, switching from percentage-based to points-based. There's a setting (that we haven't turned on yet) that forces members to acknowledge their warnings before they can post again.

* Members can now see which topics they posted in. The dot to the left of the topic changes to a star.

* Member reputation system that allows members to give feedback on which posters are good and which are questionable. We configured EMB to only allow positive feedback, and in our recent 3.3.x upgrade, a new option was introduced to make it a "Like" button like Facebook and other social media websites.

* Ability to share topics on Facebook and Twitter (assuming the topic is in a forum that can be seen publicly).

* Simplification (merged avatar and profile pictures into one thing, removal of unused options, etc.)

* Ability to add emoticons/smilies to your signature.

* Look-and-feel updates for newer browsers and mobile devices.

* Various updates to background SQL queries and processes to make the system quicker.

* "Friendlier" error messages. :rolleyes:

* Support for IPv6 (nerd stuff)

The report option allows you to report....yourself...???

Thanks for the correct information on the 'about me' page....it works.

i just reported my own post... hehehe.

well, it's nice that this feature has its supporters.

I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm a supporter of the feature, just that I do see times when it could be useful that's all. I was trying to provide examples to your statement of 'I just don't see how this could ever be useful', that's all. There are times that I can see it having a use, but I do agree that more often than not it will end up mergin posts that really don't need to be merged.

From 2.x to 3.x, Invision added features, removed unused ones and modified others. This isn't a complete list, but here's what is new for members:

* New tagging system that allows members to add "tags" to their topics, letting other members find related topics quickly. For example, if you create a topic about Vick and add a "vick" tag to it, members can quickly see other topics that were tagged with "vick" and go right to them without jumping to other forums or using the search feature. This is common on Twitter (#vick) and other social media websites.

- This just replaced the use of subtitles and provided an automated search function that runs every time you open a tagged thread. Maybe if they got rid of these stupid automated resource hogs they wouldn't have to limit the length of threads?

* Topics that don't receive any replies in over a year will be marked as "Archived" and offloaded to a different table to make the system faster. You'll still be able to read the topics like normal, but you won't be able to edit or reply to them. - So if old news becomes current again you can't bring an old thread back up. Or if I want to comment on a point made a couple of years ago, I can no longer do it in its context. Awesome.

* Updated warning system, switching from percentage-based to points-based. There's a setting (that we haven't turned on yet) that forces members to acknowledge their warnings before they can post again. This is a change but in no way presents a new feature or an upgrade to the user.

* Members can now see which topics they posted in. The dot to the left of the topic changes to a star. - I specifically said since the last board 'upgrade'. This doesn't classify as a new feature because it is a feature that we had had for years around here and the fact that the last version of the boards lacked this feature is just ridiculous and absurd.

* Member reputation system that allows members to give feedback on which posters are good and which are questionable. We configured EMB to only allow positive feedback, and in our recent 3.3.x upgrade, a new option was introduced to make it a "Like" button like Facebook and other social media websites. - This is no different than the +1 system except that the button now says "Like" instead of "+1" and everyone can see who has liked a post.

* Ability to share topics on Facebook and Twitter (assuming the topic is in a forum that can be seen publicly).

* Simplification (merged avatar and profile pictures into one thing, removal of unused options, etc.) - I don't see this as an improvement. A lot of users had different profile pics and avatars setup so that mobile users saw something specific. This is taking away ability from the user.

* Ability to add emoticons/smilies to your signature.

* Look-and-feel updates for newer browsers and mobile devices.

* Various updates to background SQL queries and processes to make the system quicker. - If this was an 'upgrade' why is the board no longer able to handle long threads like it used to without a problem? This 'upgrade' is broken.

* "Friendlier" error messages. :rolleyes:

* Support for IPv6 (nerd stuff)

Ok, so out of that entire list there are 5 actual upgrades over what we had before- 1 of which is the ability to share posts to your FB/twitter which I don't like and wish could be turned off. I have no interest in having all facets of my life merged together at all; 1 is some nerd-speak that the general end user doesn't understand and doesn't care about at all; 1 is stupid fluff (friendlier error messages); and of the 2 decent updates left, 1 represents a change away from the way things had been that nobody had any problems with at all, and 1 is actually a new feature/ability for the end user.

So that's it, then. It took a couple of months of frequent board crashes, error messages, and complete lack of basic message board functionality in order to get emoticons/smilies in our signatures. Awesome upgrade, well worth all the hassle, don't you think?

Most of those things, along with others not spoken of are screwing up the EMB. Taking what was great and lowering it to the same level as the rest of the leagues boards.

It's a shame...

As for the warning system, will the warnings automatically fall off after so many years? Why keep a warning on there for 5 years?

You guys asked what was new, and since I wasn't involved with the first upgrade a month ago, I posted a list that had updates from 2.x to 3.x. Are they better features? Not my call. If there's something I can adjust, I'll do what I can.

VA, to answer your question about the warning system, it's currently set to drop the points 6 months after the warning is given, but we can adjust or disable that as necessary. I'm not sure about the Notifications issue you're having. Can you provide more detail?

VA, to answer your question about the warning system, it's currently set to drop the points 6 months after the warning is given, but we can adjust or disable that as necessary. I'm not sure about the Notifications issue you're having. Can you provide more detail?

The droppage isn't working then, I've had a warning on there since 2010. I'll double check my math later, but I'm pretty sure that's more than 6 months ago... lol

As for the notifications, I sent you a PM. You responded. It used to be that we'd get an email telling us we had a new PM. When you responded I got no email, I just happened to notice the little "1" at the top of the screen for unread messages. Otherwise, that would have sat there for God knows how long.

The droppage isn't working then, I've had a warning on there since 2010. I'll double check my math later, but I'm pretty sure that's more than 6 months ago... lol

As for the notifications, I sent you a PM. You responded. It used to be that we'd get an email telling us we had a new PM. When you responded I got no email, I just happened to notice the little "1" at the top of the screen for unread messages. Otherwise, that would have sat there for God knows how long.

Mercy....they have you in double secret probation. The clock on the warning feature probably started on the install...you have 6 more months.

Mercy....they have you in double secret probation. The clock on the warning feature probably started on the install...you have 6 more months.

Knowing how the ACP usually works (I haven't seen the 3.3.1 version), I'm sure there's something that can be run to update it now. It really isn't that big of a deal though. More of a curiosity.

Mod 5, I see you asked what we would prefer for posts per page. I know Im annoyed by how much scrolling I have to do at times. Why dont we go right in the midle between people who want 20 and people who want 50? Is 35 an option?

And any word on invision figuring out how to handle a thread like the blog?

Hooooollyy Crap!

Hours of uninterrupted SQL errors last night. Now today I just go to update my sig, and when I clicked save changes, I got a plain white screen in my web browser. Refreshed the page, still plain white. Clicked back button, it took me back to the update page, so I clicked save again, got the plain white screen again.

Closed my browser, go back to PE.com click message boards, and bam! Plain white screen.

Its draft day!!! This isnt good.

ps. I see that my sig wasnt updated...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, tried again and it worked. sig is updated. I also need to add that the boards are a bit sluggish at times when trying to enter a thread.

Edited by HazletonEagle

I'm sure Dave knows at this point and wants to strangle someone and probably some object as well.

You guys asked what was new, and since I wasn't involved with the first upgrade a month ago, I posted a list that had updates from 2.x to 3.x. Are they better features? Not my call. If there's something I can adjust, I'll do what I can.

Mod5, make no mistake that I appreciate your time and effort to answer my question. My posts were born out of frustration and this entire 'upgrade' process that has resulted in, from what I could tell, NO added functionality for the end user but lots of problems. You posted a list of the changes/'improvements' from invision's side that came with the upgrade. I figured that the admin team might be ineterested in seeing a single, concise summary of user opinion on each of the supposed 'upgraded' functions that came with the upgrade. Given all the problems, crashing, errors, and loss of functionality from the user's end it seems obvious to me that the best fix is to revert to the 2.x version of the boards that we had been using up until a month or so ago.

Again, thanks for the info.