DaveSpadaro

Post Your EMB Questions/Concerns Here

They're bots that have access to the forums we made public with the last upgrade. You won't see them in WU.

facebook is in wu...and he's making everybody nervous!!!

Admittedly I didn't read the past few pages so sorry if this has been answered already, but how can I switch back to the lite mobile version of EMB on Android. I had clicked the tab to switch to a Full Version, but I can't find an option to switch back. Was also wondering how to quote using the lite version.

thanks

Dave/mods:

When you look at the users that are currently reading a topic, in the last week I've noticed "Facebook" and "Google" in gray shaded text, whereas actual users are green clickable links to their profiles.

What is that about?

The Spiders index web pages for search engines and sites that use internet content, the spiders speed up the retrieval process for searches and give them a greater range of hits.

Any progress on getting the "View Last Post" feature to work on the threads Dave has responded to?

Just so this thread isn't completely about complaints and gripes, I was posting yesterday and it was one of those posts that took a couple of hours to complete because I was checking stats and compiling results.

Just as I finished the post, but before I was able to actually post it, my power blinked out. It was only out for about 30 seconds but that was long enough to shut my computer off losing an hour and a half or so worth of research.

Pissed, I logged back in and went back to the thread and discovered the "Last auto saved:" feature. Because of that, 95% of my post had been auto saved by the board. I had to finish the final sentence again but that was no big deal at all.

So that is a very nice feature.

Guest frenchladyfan

Admittedly I didn't read the past few pages so sorry if this has been answered already, but how can I switch back to the lite mobile version of EMB on Android. I had clicked the tab to switch to a Full Version, but I can't find an option to switch back. Was also wondering how to quote using the lite version.

thanks

i too was trapped in the desktop view of the boards. the only way out i figured, was to clear all cache and data and cookies from my android browser, and then log back on. and lo and behold, it worked.

Guest frenchladyfan

Thanks it worked. Still not quite sure how to quote with the lite version

yeah i don't know. maybe there are no such features, since it's a light version. so you would have to use the [q.uote][/q.uote] shebang ?

My notifications i usually get when someone quotes one of my posts are no longer appearing. I used to see a 1 next to my name in the top right corner when it was working. Stopped about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I checked my settings and they havent changed either. Anyone know if this is a known issue?

My notifications i usually get when someone quotes one of my posts are no longer appearing. I used to see a 1 next to my name in the top right corner when it was working. Stopped about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I checked my settings and they havent changed either. Anyone know if this is a known issue?

Notifications via email for PMs and such still don't work either.

No, your picture shows up, but we can't click an icon to go to the first unread post like we can in every other thread. If that's the only issue with 3.3.1 then all is well and we can just deal with the issue. If it can be fixed, that would be ideal.

Any way to get Join Date and Member Number back under our names?

Any news on fixing this issue?

Or the issue where once Dave has responded to a thread his icon takes away the ability to open a thread directly to the first unread post? Nice to see that even with the newest 'upgraded' versions of the board issues get resolved at the same lightning-quick pace!

Explain what I need to tell Invision please

In this picture (below), you see your picture next to the threads that you've responded to. In the ones you haven't responded to you see a dot. Clicking that dot will take you to the first message in the thread that you haven't already read. So if I read the thread and come back tomorrow and 5 people have posted new replies, clicking the dot takes me right to the first one that I haven't already read.

In threads that you respond to, your pcture replaces that dot and if I come back the next day I either have to start from the beginning of the thread and scroll forward or go to the very last post in the thread and scroll back to where I've already read before I begin reading.

NoStar.jpg

If they can fix it so that the dot and your picture show up, or maybe your picture does what the dot does, that would be great.

Explain what I need to tell Invision please

That they suck. Or what VaBeachEagle posted, either one would be equally true.

I see Invision has just announced that IP Board 3.3.2 is now available, see what I mean about them having a new version every few months? We just upgraded to 3.3.1 and they already have a new version that makes this one old. lol

1. http://ipscustomer.com/screenshots/IP.Board__%3E_System_%3E_System_Settings-20120508-140623.jpg ... it appears we already have the gif avs allowed.

2. Invision is working to tweak that dot issue in Ask Dave Spadaro.

What else?

Email notifications aren't working for PMs.

Also:

Here's a nit picky thing that I just noticed, but considering that the board has a themed skin it should probably be fixed to go with the teams (and the boards) colors...

Why the mauve background when it should be green? Whoever does the skinning for the board needs to adjust that.

red.jpg

ask them if they can figure out a way to make their software capable of handling larger threads so that the best threads on the board that generate a lot of responses dont have to suffer please.

What is your definition of longer threads? I'm actually with Invision on this one. If the thread serves a small percentage of the people and slows things up for the larger percentage of the people, let's trim the thread.

We are going to have the skin match our PE.com site, so that is coming

Looking into email notifications for PMs

What is your definition of longer threads? I'm actually with Invision on this one. If the thread serves a small percentage of the people and slows things up for the larger percentage of the people, let's trim the thread.

We are going to have the skin match our PE.com site, so that is coming

Looking into email notifications for PMs

Dave, as I clicked to reply to this post, it took about 10 seconds for the text box to finally open for me. Since chopping up the blog, the board has not run glitch free. Its hit and miss, but every so often it takes longer than it should to reply to a post, or to move from one forum to another, or to open a thread, etc.

Quickly recapping, the update that caused all of those SQL errors and things like that, you guys worked on those errors, and the thing was finally running very nicely and quick. And this was while the 1700 page blog still existed.

Then you upgraded again to the current version, and the entire thing slowed way down. You blamed threads like the blog, and chopped it up. The board ran smooth for a day or so, but there are still laggy times here.

So at first, the length of the blog did not cause any issues at all. Then after another upgrade the blog got blamed for the brand new lag issues. And now lag is back even with monthly blogs.

In addition the bolded part of your response really annoys me because at one point, we had boards where nobody needed to make any sacrifices at all. Why has this supposed upgrade become such a give and take proposition, and how is that an upgrade over the days when we all had it all?

I am not asking you to slow down the boards on everyone so that I can continue posting in a really long thread. I am asking for a board that can once again handle those threads.

If I am supposed to just accept that we will never again have a board as good as the old one, then just let me know. I can accept making a sacrifice for the greater good if that is the situation that we are being forced in to. I just done see why it suddenly needs to be that way.

No, there will not be an alternate skin

The only time the larger threads hurt us is when we have high, high traffic. And, you are wrong about the previous boards having no issues. We turned off a lot of features, we had people complaining about search, etc. Sometimes, the traffic simply exceeds our expectations and we experience periodic problems. We have many more features and we have a huge audience. I've been fielding questions about the boards for years and years and years.

To answer some of the latest questions ...

about the notifications for PMs ... check your settings

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications check to be sure PM email notification is enabled.

The blogs have not been chopped, to my knowledge. Let me know. We are working on that. I don't see why you need a 1,700 page blog. That seems absurd.