DaveSpadaro

Post Your EMB Questions/Concerns Here

the blogs are now separated by month. each month the thread gets closed and we have to start a new thread. thats what I mean by chopping them up.

The focus shouldnt be on the number of pages. Im not specifically asking for a 1700 page thread. My point is that if there is a thread so good with that kind of potential to get to that length, why the heck should we stop it? That should be a good thing. Rather the smooth flow of the conversation is now being interrupted. And the discussion is getting chopped into multiple threads...If the discourse is positive, friendly, enlightening... why do we need to limit that to a certain number of pages? Because there is a tighter knit group of people who regularly post in that thread, and keep it active and engaging which really makes it a great place to come to discuss football, one of the bright spots of the EMB, it is like they are all being punished for having such engaging, lengthy, in depth, intelligent discussion.

Doesnt seem right. Again if its a case of needing to make a sacrifice for the greater good of the boards, then I guess it is what it is. Its just a shame that this upgrade has created that type of give and take scenario that never needed to exist before. There was a time when lengthy, enlightening, in depth discussions didnt cause an issue for the boards. Those long blogs have existed for years, and never caused an issue. Suddenly now that the board cant handle the blog, youre calling it absurd. The blog, of all the goofy threads you can find in each and every forum here, is anything but absurd.

As far as me being wrong about longer threads not causing issues. Ok. Maybe I am wrong on that part. I do remember times where you had to shot off various functions/features in order to handle the traffic.

However after the blog got chopped up, we had the 2012 draft, on which, the 1st day caused yet another board crash. Being that the blog was shortened before that date, it seems the common denominator causing the issue is the traffic, and not the length of the blog.

Also, It is my understanding that since then, you have purchased more bandwidth (or whatever it is that helps us handle traffic.)

Perhaps with this upgrade you recently purchased, we can now actually handle the blog again as it was meant to be?

finally, my proposed solution on the matter which I think would be a fair compromise would be to split the blog in to 2 threads each year.

we used to have a yearly blog. Youre saying its too much.

You made us create monthly blogs. Im telling you that sucks. And other blog posters agree. Its not just me.

Is it feasible to have an offseason blog, and a season blog? just like we do in the Other Sports section with sixers and phillies threads.

Yes the Eagles blog will still grow large because youre dealing with a group of passionate fans who keep the discussion lively even in the slowest parts of the year. but it should be better than a full year round blog.

1. http://ipscustomer.com/screenshots/IP.Board__%3E_System_%3E_System_Settings-20120508-140623.jpg ... it appears we already have the gif avs allowed.

2. Invision is working to tweak that dot issue in Ask Dave Spadaro.

What else?

I have my gif set to 148x140 and it doesn't work. I tried it both ways, uploading and hotlinking too.

It's 942486 bytes.

The old board liked it.

:sad:

T

I have my gif set to 148x140 and it doesn't work. I tried it both ways, uploading and hotlinking too.

It's 942486 bytes.

The old board liked it.

:sad:

They definitely don't work. I had one that would appear loaded in the profile then disappear once out. Not to mention poster who have tried it show up funny in the last post by.

No, there will not be an alternate skin

Then please don't downsize the viewable size fo the board to match PE.COM, where there a lot of unused space on either side of the board. Does this also mean we get the same commercial ads that PE.COM is forced to display?

To answer some of the latest questions ...

about the notifications for PMs ... check your settings

http://boards.philad...a=notifications check to be sure PM email notification is enabled.

Notifications are on to get emails when I get a new PM. I even checked my ISP's webmail to see if their spam filter might be catching them but it isn't.

By the way, that link you posted above leads to some NFL webmail login and not to anything on the EMB.

The blogs have not been chopped, to my knowledge. Let me know. We are working on that. I don't see why you need a 1,700 page blog. That seems absurd.

The Blog is not absurd. Some of the most intelligent football discussion you will see anywhere on any message board. Tommy started the thread and you liked him so much you gave him a column. People actually do go in and check back to previous discussions on that thread. So, is there an archive feature in Invisions new product?

So you are not getting notifications, even with your settings on?

As for the skin, I will take a look ...

I will look into the gif avs

No, no notifications. Not email notifications anyway. If it can be fixed, great. If not, it's a minor annoyance and not a huge deal (to me).

Now that the board isn't crashing every 45 minutes and a lot of the other bugs seem to be worked out, things seem to be fairly good. Just a few minor things (to me) that if left as is, is no big deal (to me).

As to the avatars, I dislike the new system for that. It used to be that we could use an external link to an image. Now there's no way to do that, unless I just don't know how to make it work. I had to re-size my current avatar multiple times to find the size that the board would finally accept. Very annoying.

Guest frenchladyfan

there is one think invision has fixed, and i've tested it. there is now a button at the bottom of the desktop view, when one is on a mobile, so as to switch back to the mobile view.

this pm notif thing is quite bizarre because mine work. i wasn't able to test whether i received them when quoted, however.

i am still pretty annoyed by the successive posts that get amalgamated into one.

this enrages me. i intended these three posts to be separated.

grrr.

regarding the gif avatars : http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/user/136895-eagleyankfan/

this pm notif thing is quite bizarre because mine work. i wasn't able to test whether i received them when quoted, however.

You get an email notification when you get a PM?

Guest frenchladyfan

i do.

what i don't get anymore however, is an email notification when one of my posts has been quoted. it used to work, it doesn't anymore, and i'm not the only one. dave if you read this, someone mentioned it several posts ago.

You get an email notification when you get a PM?

do you get a notification when quoted, vabe ?

i do.

what i don't get anymore however, is an email notification when one of my posts has been quoted. it used to work, it doesn't anymore, and i'm not the only one. dave if you read this, someone mentioned it several posts ago.

do you get a notification when quoted, vabe ?

Maybe it's something with the way the notification is getting to my ISP that my ISP is blocking it, ever since the upgrade though I haven'te gotten any emails from the board at all, and they're not hitting any spam filters because I'd still be able to go to the spam folder and see them if they were.

No, I don't get notifications when I'm quoted but I've never gotten those notifications in my 11 or 12 years of being on the EMB, so that's not unusual for me.

Dave, someone needs to log into the ACP and run the tool that fixes posts from before the upgrade. The upgrade left a huge swath of broken quotes.

An example can be seen here:

http://boards.philad.../#entry13623654

QUOTE (eagle45 @ Dec 3 2009, 10:45 AM)

I see that abstract thought is lost on most of TATE.

laugh.gif

I'm surprised that Invision didn't do this when they did the upgrade, they know that this is an issue (or they should). That's why the tool in the ACP was created.

Dave, when certain posters post from mobile they still have (null) added to the end of their posts. This is annoying as ish. An example can be found at:

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/topic/642298-weirdest-phobia-youve-ever-heard-of/#entry16573973

http://www.nursingde...t-really-exist/

Good read/thread

(null)

Dave, in tate some of us have been in conversation in a blog for years. we were told that the blog had to be broken up because it was too big and was slowing down the site. however in the other sports forum there are several threads at 1200+ pages and one with 2500. can you tell me what the difference is?

Thanks

Dave, in tate some of us have been in conversation in a blog for years. we were told that the blog had to be broken up because it was too big and was slowing down the site. however in the other sports forum there are several threads at 1200+ pages and one with 2500. can you tell me what the difference is?

Thanks

How big was the blog?

How big was the blog?

got to around 2000 pgs by years end and then got rotated

The older topics will be rotated the same way the TATE ones were.

not sure what you mean

It means that they will now pretend that those threads were causing issues even though we can see that they are not.

Either that or he is trying to say that those threads are receiving the same treatment even though one has been opened since 2004 which is 7 years longer than any blog thread was every active for.

On a side note, I don't like the text area (the place where you type a post) accepting HTML automatically. When I copy and paste something, I don't want it formatted automatically. If I want formatting to ba added then I want to be the one to add it.

I just discovered that you can shut this feature off by clicking the "Toggle editing mode" icon:

Toggle_Mode.jpg

The older topics will be rotated the same way the TATE ones were.

got to around 2000 pgs by years end and then got rotated

not sure what you mean

It means that they will now pretend that those threads were causing issues even though we can see that they are not.

Either that or he is trying to say that those threads are receiving the same treatment even though one has been opened since 2004 which is 7 years longer than any blog thread was every active for.

so, is this what you mean?

I went through the first few pages of Other Sports and closed or started new topics for any that were started years ago and reached over 2,000 posts (look at posts, not pages), but we don't have the time or resources to do this for every topic on the board.

I went through the first few pages of Other Sports and closed or started new topics for any that were started years ago and reached over 2,000 posts (look at posts, not pages), but we don't have the time or resources to do this for every topic on the board.

so they need to be started years ago AND reach over 2000 posts?

At the top of page 1, the 6ers PIP thread is over 2100 posts, though it was just started for this basketball season.

The regular 6ers discussion thread also high on page 1 has over 4600 posts, but again was just atarted for this basketball season.

If these are allowed because they are less than 1 year old, then our yearly blogs should still be allowed.

Now on the other hand, page 1 has a Duke Basbetball thread started in 09 with over 4300 posts. You wanna talk about threads that only serve a small percentage of board members?

Official Soccer thread, started in 2005 with almost 11,000 posts.

Now you guys were talking about sacrificing threads that serve only a small portion of the EMB population. These should have been two of the first to go. Not the blog where it actually serves all eagles fans. Anyone is welcomed to post in there, and it is about the eagles. Just because it has its regulars, its not like we have a password to post in there.

Everytime you guys make a new excuse, theres numerous examples that show its not really no good reason to split up the blog as much as you want to. And you are inconsistent in enforcing your new rules.

What about WU. All right on page 1:

Terrapin station over 15,800 replies open since 2008.

Talk about anything but the price of Rice in China over 7500 replies.

Lastly, and speaking of inconsistency, is the Mod 5 Approved Boob Thread no longer Mod 5 approved?

Im not saying you should close any of these threads. Im saying that the boards have been running just fine with all of these long threads still active. Why did you guys set your sights on the blog and dismantle it? Clearly it wasnt causing the issues. Your crappy "upgrade" did. But youve fixed most of the major issues. So let these threads go. Everything is fine. And Dave himself has said so just yesterday. Right here:

Yeah, we have been working on the bugs. Everything seems pretty smooth. I need to see some examples

Everything is running pretty smooth while all of these big old threads are still active. But the blog caused issues because of its size. Interesting... even though that was one of the only threads that we actually did close and start over yearly.

Finally, I suggested a couple days ago, and Ill suggest again because I got no response.... If you insist on splitting up the blog how about a compromise and do a regular season blog and an offseason blog. They will still grow large, but the size will be cut in half. Isnt that fair?