DaveSpadaro

Post Your EMB Questions/Concerns Here

Yep.  In those pics, if I clicked Philadelphia eagles next to members, it'd take me to the boards main index. Buy if I clicked the big logo, or where it says Philadelphia eagles up there, it took me to pe.com

Now I don't care which of those things takes you to pe.com but one of them needs to. 

As it is now, both the'home' button, and the big logo do the same action (forum index page) Considering how close they are in proximity, it's really stupid for them both to do the same thing.

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yep.  In those pics, if I clicked Philadelphia eagles next to members, it'd take me to the boards main index. Buy if I clicked the big logo, or where it says Philadelphia eagles up there, it took me to pe.com

Now I don't care which of those things takes you to pe.com but one of them needs to. 

As it is now, both the'home' button, and the big logo do the same action (forum index page) Considering how close they are in proximity, it's really stupid for them both to do the same thing.

What browser are you using? Go to the archive (if you didn't already) and click them in the archive and see if they do the same thing.

7 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Maybe we were using different skins, that's the only thing I can think of.

Go to that Archive.org link that I posted and click the banner, I'm curious to see if it takes you to an archive of the board index or an archive of PE.COM.

I did, it did exactly what you said. But before I could click on it and would direct me to PE.com. It's not really an issue. Mod5 added PE.com to the bottom of the EMB, it's fine.

Just now, Don Corleone said:

I did, it did exactly what you said. But before I could click on it and would direct me to PE.com. It's not really an issue. Mod5 added PE.com to the bottom of the EMB, it's fine.

I'm just kind of curious (and baffled) about why it worked differently (for some). I've done some skinning of Invision boards in the past and I've dug into the coding (older versions), and you have to specifically designate where a click of the banner goes by setting its URL. So the IT in me really wants to know why it worked differently for some than others lol.

Maybe there was more than one Skin and the settings were reversed on one from the other.

how was I so lucky to get the far superior skin without all the redundant buttons?

why dont we have 2 buttons to click to post right next to each other on this new skin also? gotta be consistent and go double button everywhere right?

we need 2 quote buttons next to each other, 2 report buttons, 2 edit buttons. get on it mod 5!

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

how was I so lucky to get the far superior skin without all the redundant buttons?

why dont we have 2 buttons to click to post right next to each other on this new skin also? gotta be consistent and go double button everywhere right?

On the old board, they weren't redundant. The banner (for me) went to the main board index and the "Philadelphia Eagles" went to PE.COM.

Right now, it's a new skin on a new upgrade. They're still tweaking it. I can definitely appreciate how tedious a task that can be, I've done it more than once and when Invision does their upgrades from one version to another, a lot of skin elements from older versions are completely changed or eliminated in the new version.

On the old board they were not redundant. They just seem reversed for you and me but both had their own function.

Now, they are redundant. We have a "home" button that takes you to the main index, and above it is the eagles logo that people have asked to also have take you to the board index. No reason to have 2 buttons doing the same thing in such close proximity. One should link you back to the eagles website. 

With the initial update a few days ago, it was this way. I was one who requested the logo take you to PE.com so it got changed. And then there were a flood of people asking to change it back to make it redundant. I have no idea why people want multiple buttons right next to each other all doing the same thing.

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

On the old board they were not redundant. They just seem reversed for you and me but both had their own function.

Now, they are redundant. We have a "home" button that takes you to the main index, and above it is the eagles logo that people have asked to also have take you to the board index. No reason to have 2 buttons doing the same thing in such close proximity. One should link you back to the eagles website. 

With the initial update a few days ago, it was this way. I was one who requested the logo take you to PE.com so it got changed. And then there were a flood of people asking to change it back to make it redundant. I have no idea why people want multiple buttons right next to each other all doing the same thing.

Yeah, they are redundant now. Personally, I'd rather they be redundant if it means having the banner set to PE.COM. If the "Home" link can be set to PE.COM, that would be good too. Another option, which may not be an option, would be to have someone who can skin, create a "Philadelphia Eagles" tab, like the old board had. That might require hiring someone that creates skins though, as that's a little more advanced than some of the other stuff.

It's not a matter of people wanting redundant buttons though, it's a matter of people wanting things to be the way they always were. It seems that the vast majority of people had the banner leading to the board index with (seemingly) only a small minority having had it point at PE.COM. So changing a longstanding feature to something different would tend to affect the majority in a negative way.

All day today, while it was set at PE.COM, I was constantly clicking the banner to get back to the board index, only to wind up on PE.COM when I didn't want to be there.

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

all day today, Ive been crying that it got changed back to going to the board index!

So it 2 Million members had it the way it is now, while 2 members (so far) had it the way you want it, which of the two groups should be accommodated?

heres the dealio with this whole thing.

Way back in the day when I first signed up here, I used to access the boards through the website. I actually used to read the site because Dave was in charge of the content ant it was fantastic. Id read the site, and then come check out the discussion.

Go to the website. Browse through all the different sections, and youll notice that like most other web pages clicking the big logo at the top always takes you to the home page.

Eventually I bookmarked the boards to skip going to the site because it became mostly useless. But I already knew, for years, it had been ingrained in my brain, that that big eagle was going to take me to the PE home page. The boards are just another tab on the main page, just like the draft section is, or the pro shop is, or the cheerleaders section, etc... On every single other section of the site, the eagle takes you home. It just doesnt make any sense that in here, it has a totally different function.

It still worked that way for me. If it didnt for the majority of other people, it seems like something broke on their end. Because thats not the function that big eagle has on any other page. Why would here be any different, especially when there already is a different button that does what you guys are asking for anyway? It just makes 0 sense. 

I always just clicked the tab for PE.com.

41 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

It still worked that way for me. If it didnt for the majority of other people, it seems like something broke on their end. Because thats not the function that big eagle has on any other page. Why would here be any different, especially when there already is a different button that does what you guys are asking for anyway? It just makes 0 sense. 

I've worked with Invision boards extensively in the past. The Banner can be any custom image that the board owner wants it to be. The default link that clicking the banner goes to is the message board index. That's how all Invision message boards work. The owner of the board can change that, but by default, that's how they work. Why it didn't work for you that way when it did for almost everyone else, I can't explain. It's a curiosity though, for sure. I actually can't think of any message boards that I've been on that the main banner didn't lead back to the forum index though. That's how all of the boards that I've frequented, worked.

Did you go to the Archive link that I posted and click the banner in that to see where it took you? I'm still curious if it worked the way you said it always did in the past for you, or if it takes you to the archive of the board index.

I changed it back because the mobile version doesn't have a way to go back to the main forum list unless you click the back arrow in the upper left corner four times.  Yes it's redundant on the web version, I'm aware of that. 

There aren't any plans to restore the dropdown that lets you jump to any forum.

4 minutes ago, Moderator5 said:

I changed it back because the mobile version doesn't have a way to go back to the main forum list unless you click the back arrow in the upper left corner four times.  Yes it's redundant on the web version, I'm aware of that. 

I think it's good now. People rarely go to PE.com anyway. 

21 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've worked with Invision boards extensively in the past. The Banner can be any custom image that the board owner wants it to be. The default link that clicking the banner goes to is the message board index. That's how all Invision message boards work. The owner of the board can change that, but by default, that's how they work. Why it didn't work for you that way when it did for almost everyone else, I can't explain. It's a curiosity though, for sure. I actually can't think of any message boards that I've been on that the main banner didn't lead back to the forum index though. That's how all of the boards that I've frequented, worked.

Did you go to the Archive link that I posted and click the banner in that to see where it took you? I'm still curious if it worked the way you said it always did in the past for you, or if it takes you to the archive of the board index.

I saw your pics. I didnt see a link though so I havent gone and tried it.

17 minutes ago, Moderator5 said:

I get it. At least theres a link at the bottom for the occasional times I might want to jump to the main site for something.

It sucks that you have to decrease the function of desktop so that mobile can function properly though.

Theres some cool new features with this update. But theres some things that dont seem to have solutions. Features that Ill miss. Such as the top posters list, seeing who is online at the bottom of the screen, or who is in the same thread as you...

one thing that is still missing and I havent seen you comment on it yet is seeing who replied in a thread and how many by clicking the replies button. Right now thats not clickable anymore.

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

it took me to the index page. not pe.com :thumbsdown:

Then the only explanation that I can think of for it taking you to PE.COM in the past, would be that there may have been a different skin that you were using. In the archive link, you view it as a guest so you're seeing the default skin there. If you were able to log in (which you can't), then you'd see the skin that your profile is set to. Aside from that, the only other explanation that I could think of would be that you're mistaken as to the functions, and I'm assuming that you aren't mistaken, so I'm assuming that there must have been a different skin that you were using (maybe without even knowing it).

Maybe Mod 5 can verify if there was or wasn't a different skin.

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Then the only explanation that I can think of for it taking you to PE.COM in the past, would be that there may have been a different skin that you were using. In the archive link, you view it as a guest so you're seeing the default skin there. If you were able to log in (which you can't), then you'd see the skin that your profile is set to. Aside from that, the only other explanation that I could think of would be that you're mistaken as to the functions, and I'm assuming that you aren't mistaken, so I'm assuming that there must have been a different skin that you were using (maybe without even knowing it).

Maybe Mod 5 can verify if there was or wasn't a different skin.

I actually DID log in from that link :excited:

and yeah...no way Im mistaken. Ive clicked it many times. Ive always gone for the big eagles logo because its big, easier/quicker to hit than the littler philadelphia eagles tab. 

Don also backed me up on that.

correction- I did not log in. I tried, and it took me to a page that looked uglier. I assumed I was logged in and it just looked ugly. But I was not actually logged in.

14 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

correction- I did not log in. I tried, and it took me to a page that looked uglier. I assumed I was logged in and it just looked ugly. But I was not actually logged in.

I'd have been shocked if you'd logged in over there. That would have meant that they had a full duplicate database.

18 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I actually DID log in from that link :excited:

and yeah...no way Im mistaken. Ive clicked it many times. Ive always gone for the big eagles logo because its big, easier/quicker to hit than the littler philadelphia eagles tab. 

Don also backed me up on that.

Did you ever click the little tab to see what it did?