BIRDZEYEVIEW

Concerning DirecTV

This weeks game isn't on locally, here. So I'll set up a 4th free preview week on Vue, and see if it works again. I could have gotten DirecTV to give me Sunday Ticket for free again when I called them the other day, but I wanted the $600 more than I wanted 8 football games, of which 5 or 6 will be on here, locally anyway.

That $600 will either be used on an M1903 Springfield rifle or maybe a new, large screen TV or something like that.

For people that don't call their cable/internet/phone/TV providers and negotiate a lower price, you really should. Threaten to switch to a competitor, call the competitor ahead of time though and find out what they'll offer you, even if you never intend on switching. Also, threaten to 'cut the cord'. Between my internet/telephone provider and DirecTV, I'm getting about $1,000 in savings this year.

Of course, if I was willing to fully 'cut the cord', I'd save a lot more. I'm just not there yet.

On 11/11/2016 at 0:25 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I had a technical problem with my DirecTV, so I had to call them tonight. They now use the Philippines for their customer service. EXTREMELY frustrating to have to try to talk to people that aren't native English speakers... if you have to call, just immediately ask for an American and they'll transfer you to someone in the U.S.

Anyway, through going back and forth for 2 hours, I wound up getting $50 per month off my bill for the next 12 months ($600). Initially they didn't want to go that high, but I got them there when all was said and done.  

I spoke with a guy from the Philippines on Thursday or Friday while at work. His English was flawless and we had an awesome conversation on politics for a while instead of me waiting on hold for 5+ mins

it was fun hearing and outsiders perspective on our election craziness (since a lot of how world follows our political news even tho us Americans pay little to no attention to the worlds local issues). He's of the belief that Trump is "racist and hates black people" :roll:

but I guess they have some kind of election craziness there too it sounded like. Anyways, speaking to the Phillipean dude was more awesome than speaking to an American 

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

I spoke with a guy from the Philippines on Thursday or Friday while at work. His English was flawless and we had an awesome conversation on politics for a while instead of me waiting on hold for 5+ mins

it was fun hearing and outsiders perspective on our election craziness (since a lot of how world follows our political news even tho us Americans pay little to no attention to the worlds local issues). He's of the belief that Trump is "racist and hates black people" :roll:

but I guess they have some kind of election craziness there too it sounded like. Anyways, speaking to the Phillipean dude was more awesome than speaking to an American 

The ones I spoke with, gave me a headache. I also don't like the outsourcing of these jobs. These should be jobs here in the U.S., but we can save that sort of conversation for CVON. But think about your call for a moment, assume that you were calling because your DVR kept resetting on its own, at random times. So you call for help and you get someone that speaks broken English with a hard to understand accent. While trying to help you, he or she begins telling you that the problem is that you can't pause a channel until the buffer fills for at least 30 seconds... :huh: So you tell her (or him) that this has nothing to do with what your problem is so she then comes back and says that you can't pause live TV for more than 30 minutes at a time... :huh: Ok, that really has nothing to do with my problem, but that does tell me that she has no knowledge of how these DVRs work, because I can pause for 90 minutes.

As for Vue, I just activated my 4th (or is it my 5th?) free preview week. If you have a credit card that allows you to create virtual cards, there's no need to pay for the service. It would be a hassle to have to create a new preview account every single week though. But doing it once a month or so isn't bad.

With regard to the $600 I got off my bill, they had made an initial offer to give me $720 off over 24 months, along with an upgrade to the Genie with three mini-genie's. I balked at that though, so he said that if I change it to 2 mini-genies, he could go to $600 for one year. I wound up declining the Genie's all together, but I did take the $600. Next year, I'll call for an additional $600.

I got $35/mo for a year and free Sunday ticket. I was beyond happy with that. But I pulled that off 2 months ago. 

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

I got $35/mo for a year and free Sunday ticket. I was beyond happy with that. But I pulled that off 2 months ago. 

Just be aware next year, when the $35 expires, they can give you at least $50 but not likely with Sunday Ticket included.

Vue worked perfectly for me today and I'll be using it anytime the game isn't local for me. I'll need to create multiple email addresses as needed but as long as they don't catch on, I'll go free preview to free preview as needed.

One thing I liked (this week) was that the delay on the video was almost exactly as that on the WIP radio broadcast. The radio was about a second ahead of the video, but that wasn't enough to make it unwatchable.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2012 at 7:49 PM, BIRDZEYEVIEW said:

I just received this in the mail today, DirecTV that was charging up to $375.00 for the Ticket is now charging $299.94 for The Ticket this OR Get NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX AT NO COST

tHIS YEAR WITH THE NFL EXTRA POINTS CARD

LEARN MORE AT

Wait what?  How do you get it for free I think ive been paying 375 for years.. biter

I did for the first time watch Directv from my iphone for free which was awesome.. loving DirectTV!

Every other year, they'll give you NFL Ticket for free if you re-up for two years.

People seem to be able to get it every year for free, but I was never successful.  I just don't have enough leverage.

When you call DirecTV, you have to ask to speak to someone in the Retention Department. 

On 11/12/2016 at 3:09 PM, nipples said:

I'll be interested to see how the DirecTV Now service will be when it launches, which I believe is supposed to be in the next couple of weeks. Supposed to be an OTT service like Sling and Vue. I'm happy with Vue for now, other than the fact that they lost Viacom channels (only Comedy Central matters to me in that regard), but I'll still check out DTV Now to see how it stacks up. Hopefully there's a cloud DVR function because if not that's a deal breaker. Same reason I've stuck with Vue over Sling.

You like Vue over Sling?  I haven't tried either.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 5:01 AM, Dewit said:

Wait what?  How do you get it for free I think ive been paying 375 for years.. biter

I did for the first time watch Directv from my iphone for free which was awesome.. loving DirectTV!

When I was getting Sunday Ticket, I would call DirecTV each August and threaten to switch to Verizon or Cox (or cut the cord), because the cost was too high. You have to talk to their Customer Retention department to get them to take you serious though.

I'd tell them that Sunday Ticket was the only reason that I stayed with them, but that I didn't really need it anymore because the majority of my games were on locally and if I missed one, I could get it from NFL.COM the day after the game. They'd wind up giving me Sunday Ticket (Max) for free.

I did that for several years, then decided that I wanted the money more than I wanted access to the Bucs vs. the Jags, so for the past 2 or 3 years, I've made them give me a nice billing credit. This year, they gave me $600 in billing credits ($50 per month for the next 12 months). I'll do the same next year when this cycle ends.

48 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I like it a lot more, really no contest for me. I find Vue more stable ,I had a lot of buffering and freezes with Sling. Vue's DVR feature is crucial for me too. Sling does have on demand for some channels but usually only goes back a couple episodes and you can't fast forward through commercials like you can if you DVR a show on Vue. Also the only app you can sign into with a Sling login is Watch ESPN,  but with Vue you can log in to FX, Fox Sports, NBC Sports and a bunch of others.

51 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Vue is better because it does not use your Local IP to dictate the channels you get. With Vue, as long as you sign up online, you can choose Philly for your local market and you will get all the local channels. Also it seems to me that the quality is better on Vue.

With that said, I am now looking to go back to Directv and probably keeping Vue. It was great to pay only 40 bucks a month with no rental fees or other nonsense, but they just cut all the Viacom networks, which means no more Nickelodeon, which means not very happy kids.

I'm interested in DirecTV Now.  If it can provide the basic networks and core channels, plus get Sunday Ticket streaming available to everyone I'd be interested. Other than that, I'm just streaming HBO Now, Netflix and Hulu on my Chromecast.

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

... plus get Sunday Ticket streaming available to everyone ...

What do you mean 'available to everyone'? I don't know how it is now, but when I had it, you could only stream Sunday Ticket to one device. If someone else tried to log into it and stream it, they either were blocked from logging in or it knocked the other person off (I don't remember which was the case).

When I was getting ST though, I gave my brother the streaming access so he could watch his Raiders, and I just watched the ST channels on my TV. Both of us weren't able to stream at the same time though.

11 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

What do you mean 'available to everyone'? I don't know how it is now, but when I had it, you could only stream Sunday Ticket to one device. If someone else tried to log into it and stream it, they either were blocked from logging in or it knocked the other person off (I don't remember which was the case).

When I was getting ST though, I gave my brother the streaming access so he could watch his Raiders, and I just watched the ST channels on my TV. Both of us weren't able to stream at the same time though.

I mean it is currently only available as a streaming only package (without having their satellite package, box, etc) on certain college campuses or if your address doesn't allow satellite dishes.  

I want DTV and Sunday Ticket streaming available to all customers including cord cutters that don't want to go back to cable/satellite.

Just now, NOTW said:

I mean it is currently only available as a streaming only package (without having their satellite package, box, etc) on certain college campuses or if your address doesn't allow satellite dishes.  

I want DTV and Sunday Ticket streaming available to all customers including cord cutters that don't want to go back to cable/satellite.

Actually, they do have a live TV streaming app and I've downloaded it on my Tablet, but I've never tried it.

10 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Actually, they do have a live TV streaming app and I've downloaded it on my Tablet, but I've never tried it.

Right, for paying satellite customers, or streaming only in certain areas and select college campuses.  I just checked again and my address is not eligible for Sunday Ticket Streaming only.  So being able to get DirecTV Now for similar cost as Sling plus pay for Sunday Ticket might be worth it, I'll have to see the details.

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

I'm interested in DirecTV Now.  If it can provide the basic networks and core channels, plus get Sunday Ticket streaming available to everyone I'd be interested. Other than that, I'm just streaming HBO Now, Netflix and Hulu on my Chromecast.

DTV Now

This site must have just popped up in the last few hours, because I checked around lunch time because I had heard it might launch today and didn't see this website at that time. I just put in my email to be notified when it is available. Should be really soon, rumors I had been hearing was possibly today and Thanksgiving at the latest.

One other thing to consider... I wonder if having DirecTV Now will make you eligible for Sunday Ticket. I don't see why it wouldn't.

2 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

Vue is better because it does not use your Local IP to dictate the channels you get. With Vue, as long as you sign up online, you can choose Philly for your local market and you will get all the local channels. Also it seems to me that the quality is better on Vue.

With that said, I am now looking to go back to Directv and probably keeping Vue. It was great to pay only 40 bucks a month with no rental fees or other nonsense, but they just cut all the Viacom networks, which means no more Nickelodeon, which means not very happy kids.

Before going back to DTV's sattelite service, I'd use the link in my previous post to have them notify you when DTV Now is available. If it has all the channels you want, it's possible that maybe you can use a Philly zip like you (and I) have been doing for Vue.

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The background that they have is pretty cool.

Yeah it is, for a second I thought it was my eyes. :lol:

1 minute ago, nipples said:

Yeah it is, for a second I thought it was my eyes. :lol:

I saved it, for use in my desktop wallpapers, but the image itself doesn't have the animation in it.

I also just noticed that the stars move according to where your mouse pointer is on the screen.

Not sure how legit it is, but I saw someone on reddit mention they were an AT&T employee and supposedly DTV Now is going to have a DVR function similar to Vue. That would win me over if the channel lineup and price are right.

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Before going back to DTV's sattelite service, I'd use the link in my previous post to have them notify you when DTV Now is available. If it has all the channels you want, it's possible that maybe you can use a Philly zip like you (and I) have been doing for Vue.

I just read up on this. If this actually comes to fruition and we can use the Philly zip - I am so gone and using this service.