BIRDZEYEVIEW

Concerning DirecTV

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yes, I set the post game show to record, so I get them after all the games.

Game Pass would be easier, especially since I have PlayLater and that will download the games for me. But all of the commercials will be edited out. That sounds like a good thing, and 9 times out of 10, it is. In fact, I'll wind up editing the commercials out myself as well. I can also download copies of all NFL games from Ten Yard Torrents. But again, they're edited.

Why is that a big deal to me? Well, I like to get the Merrill and Mike audio and add it to the game. In the past, I'd make a DVD with three audio options. The TV announcers would be the main audio, Merrill and Mile would be the second option and the opposing teams radio broadcast would be the third option. Then I could switch back and forth and listen to how the game was called by each crew.

I don't really make a lot of DVD's anymore, but I do like to put the games on my server (I have 18 TB of storage on my server) and I like having Merrill and Mike's broadcast as an option. If the game is pre-edited (no commercials), then getting the radio broadcast to match the video takes hours because I have to edit the radio broadcast to match the edited game. The way I've don't that in the past, was to find the penalties and use those to sync the audio up, that's because I can see the Ref talking and can match the audio to his talking. That's a total pain in the *&%. 

If the commercials are still there though, then the radio broadcast will pretty well match with very little editing needed. It's a little bit of work doing all of the games, but if this is a "Super" season, I'll want all of the games and I'll want them with at least the Merrill and Mike audio.

Ahh That makes a lot of sense. It is a lot of work, but I have to imagine it is a labor of love.  :)

How many season do you go back on this? While you have 18TBs of storage, that is a still a lot of data to store there. I like to collect TV collections and I have around 12 TBs of storage that is almost filled up and I am looking to expand by adding a couple more NAS drives.

EDIT : Funny I just saw your post that said the same thing.

19 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

Ahh That makes a lot of sense. It is a lot of work, but I have to imagine it is a labor of love.  :)

How many season do you go back on this? While you have 18TBs of storage, that is a still a lot of data to store there. I like to collect TV collections and I have around 12 TBs of storage that is almost filled up and I am looking to expand by adding a couple more NAS drives.

EDIT : Funny I just saw your post that said the same thing.

I'd have to go back and see. I have games going all the way back into the early/mid 70's. I think I have the entire 91 season.

Just off the top of my head though, I have games from the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and now into the 2010's. I started putting the radio broadcast into games starting in the 2004 season. I don't think I got the entire season that way, but I know positively that I have the 2004 NFCCG that way (I just re-watched it a couple of weeks ago).

I actually have a lot of other teams seasons on DVD too. From about 2005 through 2010, I recorded every NFL game, each season. In 2009 though, I started working on a degree and went back to college. By 2010, it was just too much work, so I stopped all of that and only did a few games here and there (Eagles, of course). With this season looking pretty special, I'm starting to gear it up again. I'm in the process of researching how to put multiple audio tracks on a single video, like 'language' audio tracks, where you can pick with audio to listen to. I can do it on DVD's easily. But I would like to do it on a digital copy on my server without it being compressed down to DVD size.

So far, my limited research has said that MP4's won't take multiple tracks, but MKV's will. I actually may leave the commercials in, rather than edit them out. I have some old games from the late 60's and early 70's that have their commercials (as well as games from the 80's, 90's and 2000's). On some of those games, the commercials are more interesting than the games lol.

Right now, my NAS has four 6TB hard drives. I have them set up in a RAID 5, so that redundancy knocks the 24TB down to 18TB. I've taken a 4TB chunk of that and use it as an iSCSI target for my main PC's storage drive and weekly backups of my main PC's system drive (a 500 GB SSD). Then when you calculate up all of the TV shows, movies, documentaries and football games, I have just under 8TB free right now.

I've been kicking around the idea of replacing the four 6TB drives with 8TB drives. But I really don't want to put $1200 into hard drives. I'd end up selling the four 6's to recoup a little money, but I'd probably only get about $500 for them, leaving the new drives at about $700. I just don't want to put that into hard drives right now lol.

LOL - I hear you on that. I only have one NAS that is a 8 GB with a Raid backup on it. I have 4 other drives that are all 1 TB on the network, all in a closet on the local network.\

MKV is the way to go - Look into MKToolsNix. You can also put in subtitles if you want to go through that hassle as well.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's a little bit, but not as much as you might think. Not if the commercials are intact in the broadcast. I've done this for 12 or 13 years (not as much in recent years though), so I'm pretty practiced on the procedure, so it doesn't take as long as it might if I'd never done it before.

It's nice though to be able to go back to the Chargers game in 2005 and re-watch it with Merrill's call of the blocked punt/TD return. Or Lito's 102 yard INT return vs. Dallas in Owens' first game back at the Linc. Or The Miracle at the New Meadowlands. Great stuff!

So yeah, it's a little bit of work, but it's a labor of love. lol

I was at that chargers game that's when the fire alarms went off as well lol

3 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I was at that chargers game that's when the fire alarms went off as well lol

Yeah, that's the game. I remember them talking about it on the broadcast. I don't remember seeing anyone 'evacuating' lol

27 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yeah, that's the game. I remember them talking about it on the broadcast. I don't remember seeing anyone 'evacuating' lol

Haha nope, no one cared 

35 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

LOL - I hear you on that. I only have one NAS that is a 8 GB with a Raid backup on it. I have 4 other drives that are all 1 TB on the network, all in a closet on the local network.\

MKV is the way to go - Look into MKToolsNix. You can also put in subtitles if you want to go through that hassle as well.

Yeah, I figured I'd do it as MKV's, I just want to make sure I can't do it with an MP4 as well. MP4's are just easier to turn into DVD's or Blu Ray discs, if I decide to burn them later. I can do it with MKV's, but it takes extra steps. At least it did last time I did it. Now, there may be better authoring software available. I haven't really looked into all of that for 6 or 7 years.

Just saw an article saying psvue is gonna raise prices again. I'm gonna end up dipping them if they do that. They sold us on the idea that they dropped Viacom channels because they didn't want to raise prices. Well they don't have those channels and are still gonna raise prices. 

I'll find another way to watch football and go back to direct TV now. 

2 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Just saw an article saying psvue is gonna raise prices again. I'm gonna end up dipping them if they do that.

What are you going to dip them in though? Chocolate? :huh: 

58 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

What are you going to dip them in though? Chocolate? :huh: 

Yes then dumping them lol. Chicks hate that lol

Seriously though they can't raise prices after saying they dumped Viacom so they wouldn't have too. They would be the comcast of streaming

Just got my new DirecTV bill. The monthly credits that I made them give me last year, expired. So my bill nearly doubled. So I called them to 'cancel' and got another $600 from them.

One of my DVR's isn't really being used much, so I'll eventually cancel that DVR, once all of the recorded shows are watched and deleted.

Buddy just mentioned that he saw online they are doing crazy retention promos now. He got $55/Mo off, new genie, 6 mos SHO and Cinemax for free (with 2/yr contract extension). 

I called and followed the script, in less than 15 mins had my bill dropped $50/Mo for the next 12 months, no contract. Already save a ton with bundled att phone service and already am getting my second straight year of Sunday ticket max for free. #winning 

0CCCD7BC-B43B-49E9-9FD1-54CF871CE9A3.png

8 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Buddy just mentioned that he saw online they are doing crazy retention promos now. He got $55/Mo off, new genie, 6 mos SHO and Cinemax for free (with 2/yr contract extension). 

I called and followed the script, in less than 15 mins had my bill dropped $50/Mo for the next 12 months, no contract. Already save a ton with bundled att phone service and already am getting my second straight year of Sunday ticket max for free. #winning 

That's what I got too, the $50 per month with no contract. I can also upgrade my DVR's if I sign a 2 year contract, but I'm not wanting to do that.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That's what I got too, the $50 per month with no contract. I can also upgrade my DVR's if I sign a 2 year contract, but I'm not wanting to do that.

My dvr is closing in on 3 years old now but still works great and is very responsive. Maybe when they advance to a point that allows you to transfer recorded content I’d think about doing it, but all it would do for me is cause me to lose things I still need to get around to watching. 

58 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

My dvr is closing in on 3 years old now but still works great and is very responsive. Maybe when they advance to a point that allows you to transfer recorded content I’d think about doing it, but all it would do for me is cause me to lose things I still need to get around to watching. 

My DVR's are getting close to 10 years old now. I've already replaced one hard drive on my own. The original drive died so I pulled it out and put a 1TB in it's place.

I haven't upgraded my DVR's though for that same reason, too many things on there that I either want to save or haven't watched yet. I could just go download some things, or even re-record them to my PC, but that would take A LOT of time, especially when you're talking about 4 DVR's.

12 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

My DVR's are getting close to 10 years old now. I've already replaced one hard drive on my own. The original drive died so I pulled it out and put a 1TB in it's place.

I haven't upgraded my DVR's though for that same reason, too many things on there that I either want to save or haven't watched yet. I could just go download some things, or even re-record them to my PC, but that would take A LOT of time, especially when you're talking about 4 DVR's.

Most of mine is admitedly frivolous things. I will record certain events/sports... and when months and months go by and I never rewatch them I decide they can/should be deleted. Also, half the shows on there will likely be hitting commercial free Netflix/Prime before you know it (if they haven't already), which means watching there where zero fast forwarding of any kind would be required to bypass commercials makes it more enjoyable anyways. I guess we all get stuck in our own way over trivial sheet tho :lol:

Wish I had known of all of this sooner.  I moved last April and decided to forego cable service but I caved in once the regular season was set to start.  Getting the games plus the local Philly sports channels would be sweet.  I get Eagles games via FOX43 but DC and Baltimore sports stations.  I would love to have NBC Philadelphia.  

42 minutes ago, H-field Hero said:

Wish I had known of all of this sooner.  I moved last April and decided to forego cable service but I caved in once the regular season was set to start.  Getting the games plus the local Philly sports channels would be sweet.  I get Eagles games via FOX43 but DC and Baltimore sports stations.  I would love to have NBC Philadelphia.  

It is great, especially for someone like me who has been an Eagles fan for over 40 years but have never set foot in Philadelphia in my life. In fact, I think I've only ever been in the state of Pennsylvania once and that was in 1979 to go to Ski Liberty with the Boy Scouts. So for me to see people on TV talking about the Eagles for an entire half hour show or the 90 minute pre-game show, is a real treat.

When I first found out about PSVue, I did the 1 week free trial for about 3/4 of the season (the 2016 season). The way I did it was to use 'Virtual' credit cards, which I can create with my Citi card for online purchases. I'd set it to have a $1 limit, so nothing can really be charged but it's there for PlayStation to confirm when I'd sign up. When that ran out, I'd create a new virtual card and do it again, and so on each week.

After a while though, I got tired of having to create new virtual cards every week and then create new email addresses to sign up with. This season, I just decided that it was worth it to me to just get the subscription.

18 hours ago, downundermike said:

Any cord cutters know about using Kodi on an Amazon Fire Stick

I put covenant on mine and it's pretty cool

Edit: covenant is something that goes into kodi

3 minutes ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

Do you use a VPN ??

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Do you use a VPN ??

Yeah I got a year of IPVanish mostly because a dude at work recommended it. So far so good.

15 minutes ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

Is covenant worth it? Like is the quality and sound good enough?

I have around 14 TB of network storage at home and I just find whatever I want. However one of my favorite sites went down and now it is more a PITA then before to find what I want.