BIRDZEYEVIEW

Concerning DirecTV

3 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

Is covenant worth it? Like is the quality and sound good enough?

I have around 14 TB of network storage at home and I just find whatever I want. However one of my favorite sites went down and now it is more a PITA then before to find what I want.

So far I've only watched an episode of star wars rebels and half of Dunkirk but both of those had good quality and sound. Took a minute or two to load but worked out in the end. Haven't tried any of the "in theater" ones

44 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

I have around 14 TB of network storage at home ...

I have four 6TB WD Red drives in a WD EX4100 set up in a RAID 5. I'm using about 7TB of that for iSCSI targets, the rest is for media. I have just under 8TB free right now.

I was thinking about upgrading the hard drives to 8TB drives, but I just don't want to put that much money into hard drives right now.

15 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I have four 6TB WD Red drives in a WD EX4100 set up in a RAID 5. I'm using about 7TB of that for iSCSI targets, the rest is for media. I have just under 8TB free right now.

I was thinking about upgrading the hard drives to 8TB drives, but I just don't want to put that much money into hard drives right now.

I have 5 NAS drives that are all different in sizes. I only have one on a RAID1, but that is my 8GB drive which stores all my important stuff. If the other ones go, I am not that worried as I can replace the content if I feel like it.

I should consolidate and just get one drive. There is a 5 drive hot swappable NAS device at work that it sitting there collecting dust. I am thinking about taking it home and seeing what I could do with it, but like you I really do not want to invest in new HDs right now.

So i just read that CBS is in the beginning phases of acquiring Viacom. This may mean that all the Viacom channels (Nick,CC,Spike) may come back to PSVue since CBS has embraced it since the start.

Also read that the local channel switch came and with nothing happening because they decided not to do it and will probably not entertain it in the future.

That is huge news for us out of market Eagles fans. The amount of content I have been able to watch during this run has been awesome. That is the one huge advantage over Sunday Ticket.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, Pallidrone said:

So i just read that CBS is in the beginning phases of acquiring Viacom. This may mean that all the Viacom channels (Nick,CC,Spike) may come back to PSVue since CBS has embraced it since the start.

Also read that the local channel switch came and with nothing happening because they decided not to do it and will probably not entertain it in the future.

That is huge news for us out of market Eagles fans. The amount of content I have been able to watch during this run has been awesome. That is the one huge advantage over Sunday Ticket.

My brother lives in Winchester Va, and he uses PSVue for his TV package and he doesn't get CBS. So if that changes, I know he'll be happy to an extent. The only thing he watches on CBS is Survivor, so that will make it possible for him to watch. As it is now, after the episode is over, I download it from a torrent site and then put it on my home server. He then logs into it from his home and downloads it from me so he can watch it. Not a big deal, but having CBS would be a lot easier for him.

As for the local Philly coverage, it's AWSOME! If something ever happened and I lost it, I'd really be lost. I've loved every minute of it since June or July when I started watching all the training camp stuff and I'm loving all the Super Bowl coverage.

I just went through the guide a few minutes ago and set all the Super Bowl Sunday coverage on NFLN, ESPN and NBC to record. I had already set most of it to record, but there were a few things that I had missed.

I've probably paid about what I would have paid for Sunday Ticket, if I was paying for that. But with all of the local Eagles coverage, it's more than worth the money to me. With Sunday Ticket, I might watch a few non-Eagles games here and there, but I'd have none of the week day shows about the Eagles. So I'd never want to go back to Sunday Ticket over the Philly locals.

I might have just lost Philly Locals.

I logged in online, and it says that I'm in Hampton Roads, so I now only have access to locals where I am. I started a VPN, and tried, and that showed that I was in Boston. So I was getting Boston locals. I need to find a VPN for Philly. It may not work for my Roku, but at least it'd work for my PC.

That's in a web browser. I'll have to see if it's the same on my Roku in a little while.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I might have just lost Philly Locals.

I logged in online, and it says that I'm in Hampton Roads, so I now only have access to locals where I am. I started a VPN, and tried, and that showed that I was in Boston. So I was getting Boston locals. I need to find a VPN for Philly. It may not work for my Roku, but at least it'd work for my PC.

That's in a web browser. I'll have to see if it's the same on my Roku in a little while.

Yes I do believe I read somewhere that psvue was going to start using different tactics for locating where the user is streaming from. 

8 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Yes I do believe I read somewhere that psvue was going to start using different tactics for locating where the user is streaming from. 

It said 'Don't worry, we're still recording your favorite shows', so I may still be able to get my nightly Eagles fix. But for live TV, which I only ever use during football season when the game isn't on here, I may have to find a new tactic.

That only really affects me 4 or 5 times a year. Most Eagles games are on here, locally, anyway. Really, the main things I use it for is the local Eagles shows like Quick Slants, Philly Sports Talk, or Postgame Live.

I'm looking at various VPNs though. So I may find a way around it.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It said 'Don't worry, we're still recording your favorite shows', so I may still be able to get my nightly Eagles fix. But for live TV, which I only ever use during football season when the game isn't on here, I may have to find a new tactic.

That only really affects me 4 or 5 times a year. Most Eagles games are on here, locally, anyway. Really, the main things I use it for is the local Eagles shows like Quick Slants, Philly Sports Talk, or Postgame Live.

I'm looking at various VPNs though. So I may find a way around it.

Let me know what you find if you could. After the season I switched back to direct TV now cause I get a lot more channels for less. I only watch local for the Eagles as well. 

1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Let me know what you find if you could. After the season I switched back to direct TV now cause I get a lot more channels for less. I only watch local for the Eagles as well. 

A VPN looks  like it will definitely work, I just need to find one in or very near Philadelphia.

Hmm I keep getting the message that there is something wrong with your account and to sign in to fix it, but I have been ignoring it and I still get the Philly locals.

Also if you find a good Philly VPN let me know. The main reason I found VUE was because I did not need a VPN and I could not find a decent one in Philly. I started with Sling and I have tried all the others (Youtube, Hulu, ect) but without the Philly stations, they are pointless to me.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, Pallidrone said:

Hmm I keep getting the message that there is something wrong with your account and to sign in to fix it, but I have been ignoring it and I still get the Philly locals.

Also if you find a good Philly VPN let me know. The main reason I found VUE was because I did not need a VPN and I could not find a decent one in Philly. I started with Sling and I have tried all the others (Youtube, Hulu, ect) but without the Philly stations, they are pointless to me.

I never got a message, I just went to watch Quick Slants the other day and the message popped up telling me that I was now in Hampton Roads, VA so I would now get those locals while I was 'traveling'. But not to worry, my favorite shows were still being recorded for me and I would still have access to my local (Philly) sports channels.

During the offseason, I don't care about Fox, CBS or NBC and even during the season, I only use those channels when the Eagles aren't on locally here. What I watch 99% of the time is NBC Sports Philadelphia. I don't know that the cost of the package is really worth just that channel, but if I didn't have it, I'd be lost in terms of Eagles programming.

If a VPN doesn't work, I do have it set to record all Eagles football games. So maybe it will still record them, even if I don't have live access to them. I'd prefer live access, though.

I signed up for a VPN that said it had servers in Trenton, which I think is close enough to Philly to still get Philly locals, but when I tried to use the Trenton servers they didn't actually have them. So I cancelled that service. I'll try some others over the course of the coming month or so, and report back.

Sigh - so it looks like the gig is up.

That traveling message that they put up is to allow those with PSVUE to travel with it outside of the their area code and still have access. Since my IP is outside of the Philly area it thinks I am traveling and only displays the NY channels now. I then tried resetting it through the website and it still thought I was traveling.

We have 60 days to 'log in' to a local IP address to maintain the recordings from that area otherwise it will be switched according to what what I read.

Unless I can find a good VPN in Philly, all good things must come to an end I guess. At least I was able to watch them win their first Super Bowl and bask in all the glory of the local media, switching back and forth between all the different channels as they all talked about the Championship. No better way to see it for a person out of town.

37 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

That traveling message that they put up is to allow those with PSVUE to travel with it outside of the their area code and still have access. Since my IP is outside of the Philly area it thinks I am traveling and only displays the NY channels now. I then tried resetting it through the website and it still thought I was traveling.

We have 60 days to 'log in' to a local IP address to maintain the recordings from that area otherwise it will be switched according to what what I read.

Unless I can find a good VPN in Philly, all good things must come to an end I guess. At least I was able to watch them win their first Super Bowl and bask in all the glory of the local media, switching back and forth between all the different channels as they all talked about the Championship. No better way to see it for a person out of town.

I've found one that claims to have servers in Philadelphia and I've signed up for it (a few minutes ago). Once they activate my account, I'll try it out and see if it works. If so, I'll let you know and give the web address.

Hopefully this works. Otherwise, I'll have to hop on an Amtrak once every 60 days, go to Philadelphia with my laptop so that I can log in. Then come back home... :huh: 

1 hour ago, Pallidrone said:

Well, I logged into my VPN, switched to the Philadelphia servers and my IP address shows as being in Philadelphia but when I log into PSVue, it says I'm in Charleston...

19 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Well, I logged into my VPN, switched to the Philadelphia servers and my IP address shows as being in Philadelphia but when I log into PSVue, it says I'm in Charleston...

Ugh, well you can down load the fox CBS and nbc apps and watch the games they have on there at least

It was fun, guess I'll go back to streaming the flyers games next season. My "60 days to log into a local" period should cover the rest of the nhl season, at least for the flyers anyway. Only 12 games left.

It'll save $30+ a month though for me, all I ever watch are the eagles and flyers

The VPN that I got to test which shows me as being in Charleston is frustrating. I tried various others of their servers and all of them but one, registered correctly. Of course it's the Philadelphia servers that don't work right.

I'm going to try a few others though.

4 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I don't know why it matters what locals you want as long as you are paying the extra for it. 

It's because you won't get your real local commercials.

57 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's because you won't get your real local commercials.

Ugh whatever lol

5 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I don't know why it matters what locals you want as long as you are paying the extra for it. 

Because Bob's furniture paid a lot of money to have Beau Allen in his commercials to have the locals come and shop at his store. If you are far away you wont do it.

I signed up for a free trial of Hulu, it has the Philly Locals. Using a VPN, they detected it and wouldn't let anything play. I had signed up using a Philly Zip Code though, and while my VPN was running, I allowed them to track my location. So I guess I registered as being in Philly, because after I turned the VPN off, I was still getting Philly locals.

Don't know how long that will last with my real IP being visible though.