BIRDZEYEVIEW

Concerning DirecTV

Recommended Posts

Just now, downundermike said:

Commercials??

I am a highly skilled couch commando, I don’t watch no stinking commercials.

9 times out of 10, I don't either. Actually, 9.99 times out of 10... and in actuality, the only network TV that I watch is Eagles football and Survivor.

On the topic of finding a workaround for the PSVue issue, I have found a Proxy and VPN that might do it, but it's $25 per month and I want to wait until I get closer to my 2 month cutoff, then try it's wonderproxy.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's all about local commercials (I believe). If I'm watching Philly TV and a commercial for a car dealer comes on, or a furniture store, they mean nothing to me because I'll never, ever shop at those locations. But if I'm watching local Hampton Roads TV (where I live), then there's more of a possibility that I'll go to those stores or dealers. What they need to do is figure out a way to give me Philly TV with local Hampton Roads commercials.

Plus I'm sure it has to do with the regional broadcast areas. I live in 'Redskin territory', with regard to Fox broadcasts. So getting Philly locals, I'm bypassing that.

 

I can see that being the reason. IMO I still think it's dumb, I don't watch commercials anyway. Not many do anymore with dvr being as big as it is now. I also can't remember the last time I saw a commercial and was like "I should go there".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

I can see that being the reason. IMO I still think it's dumb, I don't watch commercials anyway. Not many do anymore with dvr being as big as it is now. I also can't remember the last time I saw a commercial and was like "I should go there".

I have seen a Pizza Hut commercial and thought 'Damn, now I want a Pizza!', and within a few days, I go to Pizza Hut. That's about the extent of it for me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have found a little bit of a 'loophole', at least for NBC Sports Philadelphia. You can go to http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/nbcs-philadelphia and using PSVue as your provider, it'll give you access to the live stream. Sucks that there's no 'DVR' function, but at least it's live and works (for now), until we found another solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I may have found a little bit of a 'loophole', at least for NBC Sports Philadelphia. You can go to http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/nbcs-philadelphia and using PSVue as your provider, it'll give you access to the live stream. Sucks that there's no 'DVR' function, but at least it's live and works (for now), until we found another solution.

I have a feeling I'll end up in a bar next season lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I have a feeling I'll end up in a bar next season lol. 

I get most of the games already, so I'm ok if I don't get one or two. But the method of working it through Hulu and a VPN does work, but Hulu is more expensive than PSVue.

For me though, the thing I want most is NBC Sports Philadelphia. I really enjoy Philly Sports Talk, Quick Slants, End Game Live and End Game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2018 at 5:33 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Well, I logged into my VPN, switched to the Philadelphia servers and my IP address shows as being in Philadelphia but when I log into PSVue, it says I'm in Charleston...

Which one has a Philadelphia server

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, myerstheman said:

Which one has a Philadelphia server

Cyber Ghost https://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_US/

But for some reason, on PSVue, it shows as Charleston, SC. On Hulu, it works when they check your location, which is every few hours. But when you try to watch some content, it detects that you're using a VPN and won't play the content.

So you have to shut the VPN off, and on Chrome (which is what I use), you have to block them from being able to see your location. That way, when they try to see your location in a few hours, they have to ask your permission. So you have to turn the VPN back on, let them check your location, then block them from being able to see your location again, and turn the VPN off. So that will work, but it is a bit of a hassle to have to block then unblock and turn the VPN on, then turn it off.

For my purposes, if that's the only way I can access the Philly locals, I'll do it. But I'll keep searching for a VPN that will work on PSVue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Cyber Ghost https://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_US/

But for some reason, on PSVue, it shows as Charleston, SC. On Hulu, it works when they check your location, which is every few hours. But when you try to watch some content, it detects that you're using a VPN and won't play the content.

So you have to shut the VPN off, and on Chrome (which is what I use), you have to block them from being able to see your location. That way, when they try to see your location in a few hours, they have to ask your permission. So you have to turn the VPN back on, let them check your location, then block them from being able to see your location again, and turn the VPN off. So that will work, but it is a bit of a hassle to have to block then unblock and turn the VPN on, then turn it off.

For my purposes, if that's the only way I can access the Philly locals, I'll do it. But I'll keep searching for a VPN that will work on PSVue.

Thanks for the info. Please let me know when you find one that works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, myerstheman said:

Thanks for the info. Please let me know when you find one that works

Another option, if you just want the Eagles games and don't particularly care about Philly locals, is to use Cyber Ghost with PSVue. Every other server that I tried, showed up correctly. So say the Eagles are playing the Rams in L.A. and it's not a nationally televised game (which I'm sure it will be), but say it isn't. You could use the L.A. server and get L.A. local TV to watch the game. Or if we played the Redskins and it wasn't national, use a D.C. server to get the game.

I haven't tried that for every city that we'll play in, but I did try it for the L.A. servers, the Boston servers and the Washington/Baltimore servers and they all showed up correctly. It was just the Philadelphia servers that didn't show correctly (of course... <_<).

I'll post here if I find a server that works for Philly though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Another option, if you just want the Eagles games and don't particularly care about Philly locals, is to use Cyber Ghost with PSVue. Every other server that I tried, showed up correctly. So say the Eagles are playing the Rams in L.A. and it's not a nationally televised game (which I'm sure it will be), but say it isn't. You could use the L.A. server and get L.A. local TV to watch the game. Or if we played the Redskins and it wasn't national, use a D.C. server to get the game.

I haven't tried that for every city that we'll play in, but I did try it for the L.A. servers, the Boston servers and the Washington/Baltimore servers and they all showed up correctly. It was just the Philadelphia servers that didn't show correctly (of course... <_<).

I'll post here if I find a server that works for Philly though.

Thanks a lot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Another option, if you just want the Eagles games and don't particularly care about Philly locals, is to use Cyber Ghost with PSVue. Every other server that I tried, showed up correctly. So say the Eagles are playing the Rams in L.A. and it's not a nationally televised game (which I'm sure it will be), but say it isn't. You could use the L.A. server and get L.A. local TV to watch the game. Or if we played the Redskins and it wasn't national, use a D.C. server to get the game.

I haven't tried that for every city that we'll play in, but I did try it for the L.A. servers, the Boston servers and the Washington/Baltimore servers and they all showed up correctly. It was just the Philadelphia servers that didn't show correctly (of course... <_<).

I'll post here if I find a server that works for Philly though.

My God man lol. Between this and making your DVDs what else do you have time for!? Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bwestbrook36 said:

My God man lol. Between this and making your DVDs what else do you have time for!? Lol. 

lol There's always time for hobbies. Admittedly, the DVDs/Blu-Rays took a hell of a lot of time (250 to 300 hours, I would estimate). But doing the VPN stuff isn't really that time consuming. I'm into IT type stuff anyway, so it's just what I do in place of watching TV lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

lol There's always time for hobbies. Admittedly, the DVDs/Blu-Rays took a hell of a lot of time (250 to 300 hours, I would estimate). But doing the VPN stuff isn't really that time consuming. I'm into IT type stuff anyway, so it's just what I do in place of watching TV lol

 

Makes sense. You should pay yourself overtime though. I have some hobbies but, I really haven't been to immerse myself into them. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into them at some point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2018 at 2:38 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Another option, if you just want the Eagles games and don't particularly care about Philly locals, is to use Cyber Ghost with PSVue. Every other server that I tried, showed up correctly. So say the Eagles are playing the Rams in L.A. and it's not a nationally televised game (which I'm sure it will be), but say it isn't. You could use the L.A. server and get L.A. local TV to watch the game. Or if we played the Redskins and it wasn't national, use a D.C. server to get the game.

I haven't tried that for every city that we'll play in, but I did try it for the L.A. servers, the Boston servers and the Washington/Baltimore servers and they all showed up correctly. It was just the Philadelphia servers that didn't show correctly (of course... <_<).

I'll post here if I find a server that works for Philly though.

I sent a message to Cyberghost about that and they said they are looking into it.

 

What i have not tried is NJ servers. If it is in North Jersey you will get NY channels, but South Jersey should get the Philly channels. When I get a chance I am going to run through some VPNs to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pallidrone said:

I sent a message to Cyberghost about that and they said they are looking into it.

 

What i have not tried is NJ servers. If it is in North Jersey you will get NY channels, but South Jersey should get the Philly channels. When I get a chance I am going to run through some VPNs to see.

I sent them a message too and they blamed PSVue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 1:08 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I sent them a message too and they blamed PSVue.

any difference now with the update to the locations it might of fixed the location error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, myerstheman said:

any difference now with the update to the locations it might of fixed the location error.

I wasn't aware of an update. I'll try and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, myerstheman said:

any difference now with the update to the locations it might of fixed the location error.

Nope, no difference. They still think I'm in Charleston when I use the Philly VPN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Nope, no difference. They still think I'm in Charleston when I use the Philly VPN.

this is just crazy.  especially if the vpn shows philly for everything else.  makes me want to vall playtation vue and turn the vpn on and force them to correct their error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, myerstheman said:

this is just crazy.  especially if the vpn shows philly for everything else.  makes me want to vall playtation vue and turn the vpn on and force them to correct their error.

I've thought about calling them to complain, but that would just call attention to the fact that I'm in Virginia and trying to access Philadelphia TV lol.

There should be a VPN out there that will work, I just have to find it. Well, I actually have found it, this same VPN that shows incorrectly on PSVue, works on Hulu but there's a few hoops that you have to jump through to make it work. I don't mind jumping through those hoops if I have to, but I'd prefer to be able to use PSVue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2018 at 9:21 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've thought about calling them to complain, but that would just call attention to the fact that I'm in Virginia and trying to access Philadelphia TV lol.

There should be a VPN out there that will work, I just have to find it. Well, I actually have found it, this same VPN that shows incorrectly on PSVue, works on Hulu but there's a few hoops that you have to jump through to make it work. I don't mind jumping through those hoops if I have to, but I'd prefer to be able to use PSVue.

I found one! - sending you a PM to test out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

I found one! - sending you a PM to test out.

Confirmed, it works. One thing I'll be curious to see is if I can now access the locals without the VPN on. Their TOS said that if you were travelling, you'd have 2 months to log in from 'home', then access will be cut off if you don't.

If that's the case, then it'll save a little money because you only have to pay for the VPN once every 2 months. Plus, I won't have to worry about either buying a new device or trying to put my router on the VPN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now