BIRDZEYEVIEW

Concerning DirecTV

Recommended Posts

So I logged into my account through a regular IP and went to manage services without the VPN turned on. The error came up saying that it looks like I am not on my home network and to click on FIX YOUR LOCATION.

 

I got out of there, turned on the VPN and did the same thing and that message did not come up.

I am going to test for the month - if it works well then I will just pay the $50 for the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

So I logged into my account through a regular IP and went to manage services without the VPN turned on. The error came up saying that it looks like I am not on my home network and to click on FIX YOUR LOCATION.

 

I got out of there, turned on the VPN and did the same thing and that message did not come up.

I am going to test for the month - if it works well then I will just pay the $50 for the year.

I just turned the VPN off, logged into PSVue (after having logged in with the VPN on, of course), and I went to my recorded shows and they play. Before using thei VPN, I'd get an error that I couldn't watch until I logged in 'at home' or something to that effect.

So, if it keeps working this way, we only have to pay for one month of the VPN to get 2 months of PSVue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a little cheaper to pay for the year then pay every other month. Not by much but you also avoid to hassle of remembering to start it back up again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

It is a little cheaper to pay for the year then pay every other month. Not by much but you also avoid to hassle of remembering to start it back up again.

 

Yeah, if it's cheaper for the year than by every other month, then that'd be the way to go. For now, this works so I'm satisfied either way. Plus, I think I read that this works with P2P also, not that I download torrents... :huh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I just turned the VPN off, logged into PSVue (after having logged in with the VPN on, of course), and I went to my recorded shows and they play. Before using thei VPN, I'd get an error that I couldn't watch until I logged in 'at home' or something to that effect.

So, if it keeps working this way, we only have to pay for one month of the VPN to get 2 months of PSVue.

please explain more.  So now is the vpn recognizing the correct location?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, myerstheman said:

please explain more.  So now is the vpn recognizing the correct location?

Yes, it's a Philly server and the IP address shows as a Philly IP address when I check it at http://www.whatismyipaddress.com. Also, when I log into PSVue with the VPN on and connected to the Philly server, no error message comes up and I get all of the Philly locals.

It sucks that an additional step (and fee) has to be paid to make it work, but it's better than not having access at all. This past year has gotten me addicted to Eagles coverage and I was not looking forward to not having access this coming football season.

 Plus, I take 100% total and full credit for the Eagles winning the Super Bowl. 2017 was the first time that I had full access to Philly locals for the entire season and that's why we won it all.

I apologize for not having figured out how to get the locals long before 2017, but technology just wasn't there yet. If I'd had access back in the late 80's and early 90's, Lord knows how many Lombardi's we'd have now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yes, it's a Philly server and the IP address shows as a Philly IP address when I check it at http://www.whatismyipaddress.com. Also, when I log into PSVue with the VPN on and connected to the Philly server, no error message comes up and I get all of the Philly locals.

It sucks that an additional step (and fee) has to be paid to make it work, but it's better than not having access at all. This past year has gotten me addicted to Eagles coverage and I was not looking forward to not having access this coming football season.

 Plus, I take 100% total and full credit for the Eagles winning the Super Bowl. 2017 was the first time that I had full access to Philly locals for the entire season and that's why we won it all.

I apologize for not having figured out how to get the locals long before 2017, but technology just wasn't there yet. If I'd had access back in the late 80's and early 90's, Lord knows how many Lombardi's we'd have now...

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My VPN has been reporting me in Washington D.C. all day, even though I'm using the Philly server. I hope that doesn't keep up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

My VPN has been reporting me in Washington D.C. all day, even though I'm using the Philly server. I hope that doesn't keep up.

 

I think we lost this battle buddy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I think we lost this battle buddy. 

Oh no, I'll never give up the fight. I know that Hulu works with a VPN. So I can always drop PSVue and go to Hulu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Oh no, I'll never give up the fight. I know that Hulu works with a VPN. So I can always drop PSVue and go to Hulu.

Lol that's the spirit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Lol that's the spirit!

It just pisses me off that all of the other cities on the list show up correctly, it's just the Philadelphia server that shows up incorrectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just seems to be an intermittent problem where all of the sudden the VPN shows me in D.C., it goes away after a few hours and I'm back in Philly.

To the original topic of this thread, I had to call DirecTV the other day to get a dead DVR replaced, and the idiot (in some foreign country call center) decided to sign me up for their protection plan ($8 per month) without telling me. I just happen to get an email 'welcoming' me to the plan a few days later. So I immediately called to yell at someone.

I got the run around from their automated system so I just said 'Cancel my account', and that put me through to their retention department (which is in the US). After going through the situation, the guy said that I'd otherwise have to pay $20 for the replacement DVR (for its shipping), so what he did was knock $5 per month off the protection plan, then gave me a $36 credit, so the entire thing is free. I'll call in a few months and cancel that thing and be done with it.

Anyway, in our conversation, he wanted to give me programming for free as an 'apology'. HBO, Showtime... whatever. Stuff I'd never watch, even if its free. So I said 'How about Sunday Ticket?', he said that it was too early in the year for him to be able to do that, but if I called in late July, I'd probably be able to get it. Last year, because of all the Anthem crap, people were dropping Sunday Ticket left and right. He said they lost A LOT of customers because of all that. So what they did, so their 'books' wouldn't show a loss of customers, they were giving it out for free to anyone who called in and was angry about it.

He said he couldn't promise that they'd be doing that again this year, but if there were still a lot of issues again this year, there's a good chance they will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It just seems to be an intermittent problem where all of the sudden the VPN shows me in D.C., it goes away after a few hours and I'm back in Philly.

To the original topic of this thread, I had to call DirecTV the other day to get a dead DVR replaced, and the idiot (in some foreign country call center) decided to sign me up for their protection plan ($8 per month) without telling me. I just happen to get an email 'welcoming' me to the plan a few days later. So I immediately called to yell at someone.

I got the run around from their automated system so I just said 'Cancel my account', and that put me through to their retention department (which is in the US). After going through the situation, the guy said that I'd otherwise have to pay $20 for the replacement DVR (for its shipping), so what he did was knock $5 per month off the protection plan, then gave me a $36 credit, so the entire thing is free. I'll call in a few months and cancel that thing and be done with it.

Anyway, in our conversation, he wanted to give me programming for free as an 'apology'. HBO, Showtime... whatever. Stuff I'd never watch, even if its free. So I said 'How about Sunday Ticket?', he said that it was too early in the year for him to be able to do that, but if I called in late July, I'd probably be able to get it. Last year, because of all the Anthem crap, people were dropping Sunday Ticket left and right. He said they lost A LOT of customers because of all that. So what they did, so their 'books' wouldn't show a loss of customers, they were giving it out for free to anyone who called in and was angry about it.

He said he couldn't promise that they'd be doing that again this year, but if there were still a lot of issues again this year, there's a good chance they will.

Direct TV definitely doesn't like to lose customers and will give you what you want to stay with them. Even direct TV now if I complain about something they will give me a free month or know 15 bucks off my bill for a year. Now if I could only get their damn locals I would be set! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've noticed a pattern with my VPN. Before 6pm, PS Vue registers me as being in D.C., after 6pm, I'm seen as being in Philly. I'll have to see if this pattern continues, and hopefully it won't happen during an Eagles game that I don't have locally. I guess if it does, I could switch my VPN to the other teams city and access it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I think I've noticed a pattern with my VPN. Before 6pm, PS Vue registers me as being in D.C., after 6pm, I'm seen as being in Philly. I'll have to see if this pattern continues, and hopefully it won't happen during an Eagles game that I don't have locally. I guess if it does, I could switch my VPN to the other teams city and access it that way.

Now I have the CW and abc. So now I have all the locals except they are from different areas lol. Fox and nbc are Harrisburg , Cbs and abc are Pittsburgh. That is a weird combo. Considering I am about 100 miles from Philly and about 300 from Pittsburgh lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Now I have the CW and abc. So now I have all the locals except they are from different areas lol. Fox and nbc are Harrisburg , Cbs and abc are Pittsburgh. That is a weird combo. Considering I am about 100 miles from Philly and about 300 from Pittsburgh lol 

I really don't watch much network TV as far as ABC, CBS and NBC go. I watch Survivor and the Eagles (and other NFL). Outside of that, I can't think of a single thing that I've watched on those networks for probably 15 years.

I'm really only paying for PS Vue to get NBC Sports Philadelphia and the occasional Eagles game that I otherwise might not get here. Which would probably be 4 or 5 games per year.

As for my '6pm' theory, I logged in around 2 PM and I was in D.C. I logged back in about 10 minutes ago (around 4:45) and I was in Philadelphia. So that kills that theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I really don't watch much network TV as far as ABC, CBS and NBC go. I watch Survivor and the Eagles (and other NFL). Outside of that, I can't think of a single thing that I've watched on those networks for probably 15 years.

I'm really only paying for PS Vue to get NBC Sports Philadelphia and the occasional Eagles game that I otherwise might not get here. Which would probably be 4 or 5 games per year.

As for my '6pm' theory, I logged in around 2 PM and I was in D.C. I logged back in about 10 minutes ago (around 4:45) and I was in Philadelphia. So that kills that theory.

Oh geez hopefully you get something figured out. So I went to watch those locals just to try them out just for the hell of it. Well I tried each one of them and it said I was not subscribed to be able to watch them. Ugh why do they show up then!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Oh geez hopefully you get something figured out. So I went to watch those locals just to try them out just for the hell of it. Well I tried each one of them and it said I was not subscribed to be able to watch them. Ugh why do they show up then!! 

It's not a big deal that I show up in D.C. from time to time, just as long as I show up in Philadelphia at least once a month. If I don't show up at least once a month, I lose Philly access. So as it is now, it's ok.

Even when it shows me in D.C. though, I still get the regional sports channels. Just not the local ABC, CBS and NBC. I get the D.C. locals when that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the past few days, I've been getting 'Chicago' as my location, even though I'm 'in' Philadelphia with my VPN. So I decided to bite the bullet and run through their steps to correct that. I was a little nervous that I might actually get blocked completely, but I did it anyway and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Here's the troubleshooting page that I used: https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/How-to-Fix-My-Home-Location-for-PS-Vue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

For the past few days, I've been getting 'Chicago' as my location, even though I'm 'in' Philadelphia with my VPN. So I decided to bite the bullet and run through their steps to correct that. I was a little nervous that I might actually get blocked completely, but I did it anyway and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Here's the troubleshooting page that I used: https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/How-to-Fix-My-Home-Location-for-PS-Vue

I'm out on that one. I'm on a WiFi hotspot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I'm out on that one. I'm on a WiFi hotspot

Are you using a VPN though? If so, it should work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now