BIRDZEYEVIEW

Concerning DirecTV

11 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

First test of watching a game with the VPN and wouldn't you know, it was reporting me as being in Salisbury (I think). So I switched the VPN to Atlanta (Peachtree), and it put me back 'in' Philadelphia. 

I don't know if that'll work every time, but it worked tonight.

I got to watch the game on direct TV now. I think I'm set for the season. If they get me a CBS local then I'm really set

I've been playing with Windscribe's 'WiFi Hotspot' function. I can't get it to work with my laptop because you need an Ethernet jack along with WiFi, to work. What it does is, when I connect to the VPN, it will transmit that VPN signal and make it available as a WiFi connection that my Roku can connect to and thereby use the VPN.

But since my laptop doesn't have an Ethernet jack, it won't work through my laptop. I thought I could use my Raspberry Pi 2, but the WiFi Hotspot feature only works on a Windows computer.

Not a huge issue, it just means that I'd have to watch any games that aren't on locally (here), on my PC and not on my main TV. But I don't like to have technology 'beat' me. So I bought a LattePanda SBC. It's a cool little computer, and I'd probably have bought it anyway, but this gave me a 'reason'. Booted it up, installed Windscribe, plugged in the Cat6 cable and it worked like a charm. So now my Roku can use the VPN.

Take THAT technology! I Win!! HA!!

I bought a Dell 7060 micro and hooked it up on a CAT5 and it works likenl a champ with PSVUE and Windscribe.

A couple of weird drops here and there but otherwise I am happy.

13 minutes ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

So they have student discounts, but no military? I wonder if I could call and work some magic

Don't know how they'd be able to prove military. Upload a pic of your military ID?

13 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

Don't know how they'd be able to prove military. Upload a pic of your military ID?

I got a military (Veterans) discount at Verizon (my Cell phone). They wanted a copy of my DD214, if I recall correctly. Not sure what active duty military would have to give, probably the ID, like you said.

15 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

There's a service called ID.me that confirms your status, the NFL shop recognizes it IIRC. Gamepass also 

3 minutes ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

There's a service called ID.me that confirms your status, the NFL shop recognizes it IIRC. Gamepass also 

Did not know that. If you're able to get them to give you a discount let us know. 

1 hour ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

Yep, I used that for NFL Shop. I think the discount is 15% or is it 20%? I forget now.

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yep, I used that for NFL Shop. I think the discount is 15% or is it 20%? I forget now.

I believe 15, but it's been a while since I bought something from the shop 

Ugh, just tried cancelling my account to get free Sunday ticket and first time it didn’t work. I currently get a $50/mo discount for a year (3 months remaining) and they offered to apply that for an additional 12 months once these remaining 3 end. I tried to still act on the fence and they began going through all the details/specifics on cancelation. So I told them I’d take the $50 for now and in the meantime decide if I want to keep the service long term or not. 

In the $200ish days buying Sunday ticket wouldn’t be an issue (especially with $600 in annual savings) but the $400 now to get the real version (red zone and streaming) makes it less desirable. 

35 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Ugh, just tried cancelling my account to get free Sunday ticket and first time it didn’t work. I currently get a $50/mo discount for a year (3 months remaining) and they offered to apply that for an additional 12 months once these remaining 3 end. I tried to still act on the fence and they began going through all the details/specifics on cancelation. So I told them I’d take the $50 for now and in the meantime decide if I want to keep the service long term or not. 

In the $200ish days buying Sunday ticket wouldn’t be an issue (especially with $600 in annual savings) but the $400 now to get the real version (red zone and streaming) makes it less desirable. 

Did you talk to the Customer Retention department or just the regular customer service dupe?

15 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Did you talk to the Customer Retention department or just the regular customer service dupe?

Retention dept :sad: 

29 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Retention dept :sad: 

I'd take them to the limit... tell them that you can't cancel until you get cable set up, but what will you need to do to send their boxes back to them... never actually commit to canceling DirecTV but push them right to the line.

That's what I always do. One guy told me (a couple of years ago) that they had something like $450 or $500 that they could use to keep customers. After that, I swore that I'd get all of it, and ever since then, I have. But I don't get Sunday Ticket. I want the cash.

13 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'd take them to the limit... tell them that you can't cancel until you get cable set up, but what will you need to do to send their boxes back to them... never actually commit to canceling DirecTV but push them right to the line.

That's what I always do. One guy told me (a couple of years ago) that they had something like $450 or $500 that they could use to keep customers. After that, I swore that I'd get all of it, and ever since then, I have. But I don't get Sunday Ticket. I want the cash.

$50 a month for 12 months is right in that $600 wheelhouse. (She also mentioned that I have a lifetime $10 off for bundled AT&T-DTV, and some other lifetime $25 off for having unlimited data plan?). Maybe due to "sign-up/moving" promotions they used to have Sunday Ticket bundled in with I just always got lucky? 

This first weekend should be free, and Eagles are tonight, so I'll try calling next week and just outright ask if there are any specials on the Sunday Ticket they can offer me. 

45 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

$50 a month for 12 months is right in that $600 wheelhouse. (She also mentioned that I have a lifetime $10 off for bundled AT&T-DTV, and some other lifetime $25 off for having unlimited data plan?). Maybe due to "sign-up/moving" promotions they used to have Sunday Ticket bundled in with I just always got lucky? 

This first weekend should be free, and Eagles are tonight, so I'll try calling next week and just outright ask if there are any specials on the Sunday Ticket they can offer me. 

It's ridiculous what they want for the BS. you can live somewhere else and watch it for way cheaper, American Greed!!!

3 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Yeah, I just wasn't paying attention lol. With that money, you could get PSVue and Windscribe VPN, then you could 'skip around the US' with the VPN and watch whichever game you wanted to. So that's be just like having Sunday Ticket, only better because you'd also be able to watch local TV in Philadelphia.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:22 AM, GA4M said:

American Greed!!!

Do you try to make as much money as is possible at your job or do you say, "I'm not greedy, I'll take 50% less money..."?

I went with Sling Blue + Sports Package + DVR (I am not always home at noon Central) for Red Zone.

Free for the first week and then 40 bucks a month for the package. (25+10+5 for Blue,  Sports, DVR)

It also gets me NFL Network, NHL Network, NBCSN, and FS1.

With HD Antenna, the only thing I am missing is the politics channel, BSPN.

44 minutes ago, skippyx said:

I went with Sling Blue + Sports Package + DVR (I am not always home at noon Central) for Red Zone.

Free for the first week and then 40 bucks a month for the package. (25+10+5 for Blue,  Sports, DVR)

It also gets me NFL Network, NHL Network, NBCSN, and FS1.

With HD Antenna, the only thing I am missing is the politics channel, BSPN.

PSVue is a little more, if you want the sports package at $49.99. I don't think Red Zone is available though.

I'm going to experiment starting tomorrow by skipping around the US (with the VPN) and scheduling every game to record. I won't have access to any of the games 'outside' of my 'home market' of Philadelphia, but when I log into the Los Angeles VPN server, I'll have whatever was available there and when I log into the Miami servers, I'll have those, and so on.

So I should be able to watch any game that I want, just as if I have Sunday Ticket.

You actually may be able to do the same thing, the same way. It just depends on whether or not Sling works with a VPN.

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

PSVue is a little more, if you want the sports package at $49.99. I don't think Red Zone is available though.

I'm going to experiment starting tomorrow by skipping around the US (with the VPN) and scheduling every game to record. I won't have access to any of the games 'outside' of my 'home market' of Philadelphia, but when I log into the Los Angeles VPN server, I'll have whatever was available there and when I log into the Miami servers, I'll have those, and so on.

So I should be able to watch any game that I want, just as if I have Sunday Ticket.

You actually may be able to do the same thing, the same way. It just depends on whether or not Sling works with a VPN.

I believe sling goes strictly off of billing address like direct TV now. 

On 9/8/2018 at 3:11 PM, nveagle5 said:

I got the NFL package free for another year. 

:towel:

Deets?