BIRDZEYEVIEW

Concerning DirecTV

I cancelled Directv & Sunday ticket this year.  Not once did I pay full price for NFL Sunday ticket.  You can always get a deal.  Just depends on your negotiation skills and the personality on the other end of the phone.  We had Directv from 2008-2018.  Don't really miss it.

3 hours ago, FlyEagles76 said:

I cancelled Directv & Sunday ticket this year.  Not once did I pay full price for NFL Sunday ticket.  You can always get a deal.  Just depends on your negotiation skills and the personality on the other end of the phone.  We had Directv from 2008-2018.  Don't really miss it.

Meh I don’t have time to haggle with people over the phone just to save a few bucks so they can continue to over charge people and raise the price

Anyone that is using Windscribe - there is a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal for a one time lifetime license

https://stacksocial.com/sales/windscribe-vpn-lifetime-pro-subscription?rid=638027

Also use the promo code BFSAVE40 to save more money. So for $35.40 you get a lifetime license. And it stacks on top of a license that is already paid for. I just did it and it worked great.

So Comcast just came around my neighborhood with a 2 year deal for their HD service plus DVR and (I think) 160mg download speed...of course there are tiers, I took the $99 package - with taxes, etc...it comes out to around $130/month.  Right now I'm paying 104/month for internet and another 45/55 (don't remember) for PSVue.  So I get to go back to cable for a ton less $ than I was paying before....worth it I think if Comcast is your provider.  

12 minutes ago, Plache said:

So Comcast just came around my neighborhood with a 2 year deal for their HD service plus DVR and (I think) 160mg download speed...of course there are tiers, I took the $99 package - with taxes, etc...it comes out to around $130/month.  Right now I'm paying 104/month for internet and another 45/55 (don't remember) for PSVue.  So I get to go back to cable for a ton less $ than I was paying before....worth it I think if Comcast is your provider.  

Depends, I've known plenty of people who have taken those kinds of deals and still had to fight with them every month cause what they say you will be charged and what they actually charge is always a different story

6 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Depends, I've known plenty of people who have taken those kinds of deals and still had to fight with them every month cause what they say you will be charged and what they actually charge is always a different story

I've had them before and never had a problem...if I do, I'll be sure to update in this thread.  For now, I'm so glad to have cable back....streaming is ok, but nothing beats cable -- especially the DVR capabilities.  Anyway....... 🙂

16 hours ago, Plache said:

I've had them before and never had a problem...if I do, I'll be sure to update in this thread.  For now, I'm so glad to have cable back....streaming is ok, but nothing beats cable -- especially the DVR capabilities.  Anyway....... 🙂

I have DirecTV. I still lose the signal from time to time during storms, but to get the same sort of package through cable, would cost a lot more than what I currently pay. If DirecTV ever refuses to give me the discounts that they've been giving me each year for the past 10 or so years, I'll probably switch to cable. I also have PSVue, but only for the Philly channels.

So combine the PSVue bill with DirecTV and I'm paying what I would, without the discounts that DirecTV gives me, which is around $50 per month.

(This is a long, semi technical type post, but maybe it'll help someone that wants to do the same)

I haven't used my PSVue with my Roku for a little while, but earlier in the season, I was using my Windscribe as a WiFi Hotspot and then connecting my Roku to the internet through that Hotspot.

That worked well for a couple of weeks, then I just couldn't get it to connect for some reason. So whenever I logged in with my Roku after that, it was through my real IP address and not the VPN.

That wasn't a real big deal because I was still able to get the Philly sports channels. I just couldn't get the network locals for Philly. That would suck, if I couldn't get the Eagles game of any particular week but I just logged in through a web browser for any non-national games (or games that weren't broadcast here, locally).

Well, 2 or 3 days ago, I tried to log in using my Roku for the first time in at least a month, and it wouldn't even give me ANY channels. Just a black screen with text telling me that I had been away from my 'local' area (Philly) and I'd have to log in from my 'local area' again, in order to be able to use the service.

I still can't log in using the Windscribe Hotspot method though. All I'd need to do, is be able to log in for a couple of seconds, to register as being in my 'local area' and then my Roku would work with PSVue again. But I just couldn't get it to work, no matter what I tried.

So, after fiddling around for a few days, I finally found the method that allowed me to log in from my 'local area'. Since I'm using Windows 10 on my laptop, I went into the network settings and turned the Hotspot feature on and told it to share my WiFi connection. In order for that to work, I also had to have an Ethernet cable connected. So my Internet connection is coming in through the Ethernet, and my laptop's WiFi is enabled to be the 'Hotspot transmitter'.

Once I had that turned on, I went into the Adapter settings and set my Ethernet adapter to allow the Internet connection to be shared, and I set the WiFi as the one that could share it. I also turned on the Windscribe app and set it to be 'in' Philadelphia. So my Ethernet connection was 'in' Philadelphia and that's what will be shared with the Hotspot.

With all that set, I went to my Roku and told it to search for available networks, and my new Hotspot was there. I told it to use that network, and boom, I'm back 'in' Philadelphia on my Roku and PSVue worked perfectly.

Sounds like a lot, but it's actually pretty simple to do. The laptop just has to have an Ethernet port as well as WiFi, so that there's an Internet Connection coming in as well as another one that can be shared.

For the past week or so, I've been using Chrome for watching PSVue and in the time that I've been using it, I haven't had any issues with the VPN being detected as being in some other city. Not sure if it's because I'm using Chrome though. So I'll keep using it and see if it ever happens again.