BIRDZEYEVIEW

Concerning DirecTV

Just got off the phone with them, like I said earlier, when the dispute with Viacom was going on I called and complained and got $20 for 12 months ($240 total). I didn't address Sunday ticket at that time though because it hadn't shown up on my bill yet.

Friday, it showed up on my bill so I emailed them and complained. They gave me the 800 number with my special PIN to call in. I called and was ready to threaten to cancel but the girel didn't really even give me a chance to get that far, she just gave me Sunday Ticket Max for free to stay.

I did have to agree to a 1 year contract, but that's nothing. I'm not going anywhere for a year.

Oh but wait, I guess since DirecTV doesn't do that I must be lying in order to gain more EMB Cred... :lol:

DirecTV Bill Cred is more valuable. So far this year they've given me $540 in Bill Cred. ($240 for the Viacom dispute and now $300 for Sunday Ticket Max).

Yeah I'm over 600. I won't be calling for free discounts again till NFL ticket runs out.

Yeah, I'll wait till next year's ticket comes due.

Wait...u do this every year? Inconceivable

Yes, I don't get it free every single year though. 2004 was the last year that I've paid full price. 2005 through 2010 I got the "Max" part for free and between $150 to $200 off the Sunday Ticket price. It varied from year to year. This year and last year I've gotten it completely free.

Even if I end up paying full price next year I wouldn't be too upset.

Yeah, this is my first year with it 100% free. I've never paid more than 50% for it and I get discounts on other items with it. If I have to pay full price sometime, I really won't be upset...it really is worth it, just so happens they are willing to discount it each year.

I forgot to mention the $240 I got from Cox for my internet and phone by threatening to switch to Verizon. So in all, in the past 3 weeks or so, I've gotten Cox and DirecTV to give me $780 in credits/discounts.

Like I said before, that's why having competition in business is so great.

Sunday Ticket billing will probably begin soon, so get ready if you want to "cancel" DirecTV again this year...

Is there still a dispute about keeping NFL sunday ticket on direct tv? I am screwed kinda if my landlord doesn't allow me to put a dish in the yard, ill be missing my games and thats just not ok with me. I know playstation allows it is there any new ways of getting it?

Is there still a dispute about keeping NFL sunday ticket on direct tv? I am screwed kinda if my landlord doesn't allow me to put a dish in the yard, ill be missing my games and thats just not ok with me. I know playstation allows it is there any new ways of getting it?

As far as I know, there's no dispute for this season. They still have the exclusive rights and that won't change for now. What you might try, if the PS3 option doesn't work for you, is get a dish and a bucket. Mount the dish to a 4x4 (or a pole) and cement it into the bucket. Then on Sunday, set the bucket out in the yard and get it aligned. Then when you're done, take it inside.

It'd be a pain in the neck and huge hassle, but if it's the only way to do it, it could work.

As far as I know, there's no dispute for this season. They still have the exclusive rights and that won't change for now. What you might try, if the PS3 option doesn't work for you, is get a dish and a bucket. Mount the dish to a 4x4 (or a pole) and cement it into the bucket. Then on Sunday, set the bucket out in the yard and get it aligned. Then when you're done, take it inside.

It'd be a pain in the neck and huge hassle, but if it's the only way to do it, it could work.

Yeah, im more in the city now, and the I got the landowner to change a lot, but putting a dish on the roof he wasnt to thrilled about. As long as there is a clear line of sight for the dish it can work. but ive been without tv for a couple months (half the **** you can watch online anyways), but I didn't want a guy coming out in winter to hook it up because if you don't get someone to do a good job they do a **** job. at least on direct tv they give you 6 months of no cost if you don't know if you can keep the service etc and my contract is done so im sitting here like must find other options lol.

Yeah, im more in the city now, and the I got the landowner to change a lot, but putting a dish on the roof he wasnt to thrilled about. As long as there is a clear line of sight for the dish it can work. but ive been without tv for a couple months (half the **** you can watch online anyways), but I didn't want a guy coming out in winter to hook it up because if you don't get someone to do a good job they do a **** job. at least on direct tv they give you 6 months of no cost if you don't know if you can keep the service etc and my contract is done so im sitting here like must find other options lol.

Well, what I'll do this year, if DirecTV doesn't give it to me for free again is I'll keep my NFL Field Pass (or whatever they call it now) so I can listen to every game live even if I can't see it and I'll renew my NFL Rewind subscription for the season. Which is $50 I think. That will give me every game of every team (dating back to 2009 and everything since). Then I'll get to watch the game.

I spoke of this in the Entertainment forum (the thread about cutting the cable), but I just got a WD TV Live box, that in conjunction with the PlayOn (and PlayLater) media server, I can watch all of the games through that box right on my TV. I watched the Miracle at the New Meadowlands last night.

With the Rewind subscription, the earliest you can watch the game is shortly after the SNF game ends, so by then the game is well over. But, you can at least see it if you have no other means.

I knew a guy who had the same problem. He was able to point the dish from inside a spare room out the window. It worked fine for him. Might be worth a try...

With the ever increasing prices direc keeps coming up with I'm half thinking of canceling my account all together and just watching the games at the bar. Or not even watching the games if the season goes the way I feel it going anyway. <_<

I knew a guy who had the same problem. He was able to point the dish from inside a spare room out the window. It worked fine for him. Might be worth a try...

With the ever increasing prices direc keeps coming up with I'm half thinking of canceling my account all together and just watching the games at the bar. Or not even watching the games if the season goes the way I feel it going anyway. <_<

Yeah, last year I agreed to a 1 year contract in exchange for free Sunday Ticket and a promise not to raise my rates for 12 months. In February, rates went up $5. So I'm in an argument with them over it now.

$5 isn't really much to argue over, but I'm going to try to make them send me the Genie commercial girl for a few weeks... just to play around and see if I like her... err... I mean, I'm going to try to make them upgrade me to the Genie for free, along with Sunday Ticket for free.

Reading all of this stuff kinda makes me sick. Whatever happend to free enterprise or whatever you want to call it. How long does it take for other companies (Dish, ie) to get into this business of Pro Football packages? A monopoly --- yea. What does it take for the legal beagles to take this thing apart and making it open should reduce the cost plus it will be more money with more people for the NFL. By the way, I can't get DirectTv where I live in Phoenix. I know the cost may be high for you guys and girls but at least you have a choice. Enjoy it.

Reading all of this stuff kinda makes me sick. Whatever happend to free enterprise or whatever you want to call it. How long does it take for other companies (Dish, ie) to get into this business of Pro Football packages? A monopoly --- yea. What does it take for the legal beagles to take this thing apart and making it open should reduce the cost plus it will be more money with more people for the NFL. By the way, I can't get DirectTv where I live in Phoenix. I know the cost may be high for you guys and girls but at least you have a choice. Enjoy it.

You don't have to have DirecTV to get Sunday Ticket.

Yeah, last year I agreed to a 1 year contract in exchange for free Sunday Ticket and a promise not to raise my rates for 12 months. In February, rates went up $5. So I'm in an argument with them over it now.

$5 isn't really much to argue over, but I'm going to try to make them send me the Genie commercial girl for a few weeks... just to play around and see if I like her... err... I mean, I'm going to try to make them upgrade me to the Genie for free, along with Sunday Ticket for free.

Man I bet you're annoying as hell to deal with when you call or email to complain. I bet money everyone in DTV knows who you are from past dealings. I gotta give it to you that you get the job done but damn that's a bit much work for me so when I call I'll just settle for a deep discount or half price. Every now and then I get it free though. Thanks for all your inputs becuase you do get others including me to call in getting discounts.

Man I bet you're annoying as hell to deal with when you call or email to complain. I bet money everyone in DTV knows who you are from past dealings. I gotta give it to you that you get the job done but damn that's a bit much work for me so when I call I'll just settle for a deep discount or half price. Every now and then I get it free though. Thanks for all your inputs becuase you do get others including me to call in getting discounts.

Don't look at it as work or a hassle, look at it as a game. It's you against them. Who do you want to win the game?

If you want them to do what you want, you have to do what you have to do. I spent about 2 hours on the phone with them last night. One guy in their retention department wouldn't do what I told him I wanted him to do and explained that over the past 18 months, I've gotten $860 in discounts and he just couldn't do any more. So by the time I finished talking to him and told him that I'd call back after I had Verizon set up in my house so I could cancel DTV, he suggested that calling the cancellation department might be more 'fruitful' for me.

So I talked to them and the guy there let it slip that he had $250 that he could give me. He started out offering me $50 to entice me to stay and a little later is when the $250 figure slipped out.

Before the $250 figure slipped though, he asked me what it would take to keep me with them. So I suggested that upgrading me to the Genie and 3 Clients would be a good start. They wanted $596 in all for that though. Eventually though he gave me the Genie and one client for free ($398 value).

What that will in turn let me do is drop 2 of my DVR's, which I could do at any time regardless but this way I don't lose any recording capacity. By doing that, it reduces my monthly bill by $12 per month ($6 per DVR) and as an add-on effect, dropping those two DVR's will reduce my electric bill by about $8 per month because the DVR's each use about $4 per month.

Oh, and that $5 increase in my bill? They did away with that too... lol

Yeah, Well ill have to call and find out what theyll do for me. Im gonna sit here with this time warner promo and be like well i can pay 10 extra bucks for tv and internet, so unless youre willing to give me................ (a lot) you can pretty much go to hell lol. Even though ill still need the ok from my landlord anyways...

I know if you can't get dish at your house direct tv HAS to let you buy the online version of NFL sunday ticket, but then you won't get any discounts... so you are almost better off just negotiating with them to get anything and everything out of them. I don't ever feel bad for doing it either, if they can offer you all these discounts, then it's quite obviously they are making bank on all of us.

Yeah, Well ill have to call and find out what theyll do for me. Im gonna sit here with this time warner promo and be like well i can pay 10 extra bucks for tv and internet, so unless youre willing to give me................ (a lot) you can pretty much go to hell lol. Even though ill still need the ok from my landlord anyways...

I know if you can't get dish at your house direct tv HAS to let you buy the online version of NFL sunday ticket, but then you won't get any discounts... so you are almost better off just negotiating with them to get anything and everything out of them. I don't ever feel bad for doing it either, if they can offer you all these discounts, then it's quite obviously they are making bank on all of us.

Definitely don't feel bad about it. It's like when you go buy a new car, you NEVER take the price they offer you to start with. You ALWAYS negotiate them down.

You just have to talk to the cancellation department in order to get to the people that have the ability and power to give you what they can give you.

Definitely don't feel bad about it. It's like when you go buy a new car, you NEVER take the price they offer you to start with. You ALWAYS negotiate them down.

You just have to talk to the cancellation department in order to get to the people that have the ability and power to give you what they can give you.

Oh trust me I will, I just gotta get the landowner to allow me to have the dish. There isn't a ton of bars out here that have all games on and even so... I need to utilize my big screen tv =)

My old roomates and I used to grab all of our big screens put them in the living room on sundays with the box's and set them all to different games. Home made wings... if we had a sign up it coulda been b dubs lol

Oh trust me I will, I just gotta get the landowner to allow me to have the dish. There isn't a ton of bars out here that have all games on and even so... I need to utilize my big screen tv =)

My old roomates and I used to grab all of our big screens put them in the living room on sundays with the box's and set them all to different games. Home made wings... if we had a sign up it coulda been b dubs lol

If he won't let you have a dish, you may still be able to get Sunday Ticket. I don't know if this works but I found this article earlier:

http://consumerist.com/2010/09/13/a-trick-that-lets-you-get-red-zone-channel-without-directv/

Plus there's always the PS3 package.

I'd let it auto-renew, that gives you a reason to call them pissed off and complaining. Threaten to cancel DTV and get the ticket for free in return for a promise not to cancel.

Where's my man VaBeach and ST discount news? I was wondering when I should start my annual negotiations and I think I'll try this angle this year. Never actually thought about it that way after a year old thread.