BillySims

Why do people consider Terrell Owens so "talented?"

739 posts in this topic

I've always thought people had the wrong perception of him, and one of the biggest ones is this idea that he somehow squandered something. Well, maybe his money, but he certainly didn't squander anything when it came to his football career.

On the contrary, I think Owens may be the biggest overachiever in the history of professional sports.

I don't know if anyone has ever actually watched him in practices, but if you did, you'd see that nothing he does comes naturally to him. He audibly grunts and groans every time he runs or makes a cut. He runs very sloppy routes. He struggles catching the football (we all know how many balls he drops). He has below average speed for a wide receiver. He's not really a great leaper, either.

When you add all of this up, you can see why he had to go to a division 1-AA school. You can see why he was the 12th receiver taken in the draft, 89th overall. He's just not all that naturally athletic.

Yet I hear people mention him in the same sentence as Randy Moss. He's really the furthest thing from Randy Moss. Moss was a national phenom, a big Deion Sanders. A one man show. If it hadn't been for his off field problems, he would have gone #1 overall in the draft.

He's more like Drew Pearson.

So what is it about him? It must be the physique. But do people honestly think that he just naturally has that great physique? That great physique of his was honed through years and years in the weight room. He wasn't born with 6 pack abs and an all-around chiseled frame. He worked for that. That's not talent, that's pure desire.

So many sided with Donovan McNabb during all the 2005 nonsense, but in that overblown "feud," one of those men was one of the most naturally gifted athletes at his position to ever play professional football. And that man was lazy and demonstrated a lack of dedication and underachieved. The exact opposite of the attributes possessed by the other man. And people sided with the former.

The power of media.

3 people like this

Owens might not have a whole lot of natural talent but the guy worked his a** off to become one of the best wide receivers of all time. Did you ever watch the guy play? In his prime he was a beast. Moss relied on his athletic abilities moreso and was a wonderful deep threat. Owens could catch the ball anywhere, break a few tackles and score.

Owens isn't liked for a ton of reasons but his work ethic is unquestionable.

9 people like this

Gee I dunno. 1078 receptions 15,934 Yards and 153 TDs maybe? The guy may be a first class arsehat, but you don't get those numbers without talent.

8 people like this

Owens might not have a whole lot of natural talent but the guy worked his a** off to become one of the best wide receivers of all time. Did you ever watch the guy play? In his prime he was a beast. Moss relied on his athletic abilities moreso and was a wonderful deep threat. Owens could catch the ball anywhere, break a few tackles and score.

Owens isn't liked for a ton of reasons but his work ethic is unquestionable.

That's my point. Did you ever read my post?

1 person likes this

Ever hear of the well publicized fact of Randy Moss being lazy, and only playing when he feels like playing? True story. Look it up

They all have faults. I get the hate that Eagles fans have for the guy, but TO, while in his prime, was a monster. The guy tried, and damn near succeeded, in winning the Birds a SB by himself on a broken leg.

3 people like this

OP is correct. Moss is an example of god given talent, Owens is an overachiever. he really is football's Dennis Rodman in so many ways.

:fishing:

This appears to be the case

OP is correct. Moss is an example of god given talent, Owens is an overachiever. he really is football's Dennis Rodman in so many ways.

That's an insult to Rodman...not in terms of ability, but in terms of doing anything for the team to win.

1 person likes this

That's an insult to Rodman...not in terms of ability, but in terms of doing anything for the team to win.

If anything it's an insult to Owens, one of the best Wr's to play the game. Rodman was a glorified role player.

Unless you think Michael Jordan and Donovan McNabb gave them equal opportunities to win a championship...

Owens was a first class dewsh but he certainly wasn't without talent.

1 person likes this

If anything it's an insult to Owens, one of the best Wr's to play the game. Rodman was a glorified role player.

Unless you think Michael Jordan and Donovan McNabb gave them equal opportunities to win a championship...

Rodman embraced his role and played it as well as any other player in the history of his sport. Owens was a GREAT player in his prime, but his bravado was not always conducive to the success of his team.

2 people like this

Owens was one of the best receivers of the modern era.He worked his a** off to get there.The man is a freak of nature.

I've always thought people had the wrong perception of him, and one of the biggest ones is this idea that he somehow squandered something. Well, maybe his money, but he certainly didn't squander anything when it came to his football career.

On the contrary, I think Owens may be the biggest overachiever in the history of professional sports.

I don't know if anyone has ever actually watched him in practices, but if you did, you'd see that nothing he does comes naturally to him. He audibly grunts and groans every time he runs or makes a cut. He runs very sloppy routes. He struggles catching the football (we all know how many balls he drops). He has below average speed for a wide receiver. He's not really a great leaper, either.

When you add all of this up, you can see why he had to go to a division 1-AA school. You can see why he was the 12th receiver taken in the draft, 89th overall. He's just not all that naturally athletic.

Yet I hear people mention him in the same sentence as Randy Moss. He's really the furthest thing from Randy Moss. Moss was a national phenom, a big Deion Sanders. A one man show. If it hadn't been for his off field problems, he would have gone #1 overall in the draft.

He's more like Drew Pearson.

So what is it about him? It must be the physique. But do people honestly think that he just naturally has that great physique? That great physique of his was honed through years and years in the weight room. He wasn't born with 6 pack abs and an all-around chiseled frame. He worked for that. That's not talent, that's pure desire.

So many sided with Donovan McNabb during all the 2005 nonsense, but in that overblown "feud," one of those men was one of the most naturally gifted athletes at his position to ever play professional football. And that man was lazy and demonstrated a lack of dedication and underachieved. The exact opposite of the attributes possessed by the other man. And people sided with the former.

The power of media.

Please refer to our superbowl against the Pats. That is all.

Please refer to our superbowl against the Pats. That is all.

That's a perfect example. He was nowhere near 100% in that game, but he still found a way to produce. That shows you how much determination he had.

And that's the point of my thread. For some reason, people always talk about Jerry Rice as the consummate hard worker, as if he was some sort of huge overachiever. Yet Rice was the 16th player taken in the draft. Owens was the 89th. Rice was expected to be a star. Owens wasn't. The 49ers were actually criticized for the pick on draft day.

This diva image Owens has is nothing more than a put on. Owens knows how hard he has always had to work to do things other receivers take for granted. As much as he loves imitating cocky athletes, there's no way he actually believes he's like them, deep down. But people expect him to be a certain way, hence the self-fulfilling prophecy.

Regardless, my main point of contention is with people claiming he somehow squandered his "incredible talent," or "could have been the greatest ever." Randy Moss did that. Owens did the opposite.

Rodman embraced his role and played it as well as any other player in the history of his sport. Owens was a GREAT player in his prime, but his bravado was not always conducive to the success of his team.

This. It's like people don't remember 2005 lol.

About TO not having natural talent, uh I'm going to have to disagree. He had great natural strength, and size and good speed for an NFL wide out. He had all the tools. I'm not saying he didn't work hard, because he did, I am just saying the talent was there too. A player doesn't have his numbers without natural talent. This thread fails.

2 people like this

Oh gee, this is a tough one!

2nd in Receiving Yards

5th in Receptions

2nd in Receiving Touchdowns

Nope. No Talent There At All.

About TO not having natural talent, uh I'm going to have to disagree. He had great natural strength, and size and good speed for an NFL wide out. He had all the tools. I'm not saying he didn't work hard, because he did, I am just saying the talent was there too. A player doesn't have his numbers without natural talent. This thread fails.

There are talented players in this country that go undrafted out of AA schools and still make it in the NFL...so yes, I concur.

Yes because being 6'3" isn't some natural gift. Nor do genetics play any role at all in developing muscle mass. And supposedly running a 4.36 at the combine shows a complete lack of natural athletic ability.

Plus working on your concentration and catching the ball can't be developed. And we all know that route running is a skill your born with and can never learn or get better at through hard work.

Wait a minute none of what I just said was true which means the original post was...wait a minute what's the phrase? Oh yeah: Full of ****.

1 person likes this

he worked hard to get where he is sure, but he does have natural talent. He didn't waste it either. His production was incredible but there are more guys that come into the league who do not have hi work ethic and fade into obscurity. Imagine if Moss worked as hard as T.O. did.

During his first year hear though he was a world-class talent and sacrificed his leg just to play in the Super Bowl. It is a shame he didn't work out here.

He didn't have great natural strength. He was a twig coming out of high school. According to him, anyway. He hit the weight room like a man possessed in order to make it.

I don't consider size to be a talent. Imagine somebody comes up to you complaining that he has no talent in life. What do you say, "oh, nonsense, you're 6'3!" That ought to cheer this person up.

There are guys who are 6'3" (he was actually measured closer to 6'2" coming out, despite his nfl.com listing) all over the country. I have 4 friends who are 6'3"+. They'll never be Terrell Owens.

Good speed was never one of his attributes. There were major questions about his speed coming out of college.

People are completely missing the point. Of course he has "some talent"...every single player in the NFL has some talent. Undrafted free agents from Juco who never make it in the NFL have quite a bit of talent compared to the average high school football player.

I'm talking about relative talent, in terms of him being in the NFL.

There are a plethora of receivers with more natural talent than Terrell Owens, yet they never produced like him. Every year, 10+ guys who are bigger, faster, stronger, more agile, and jump higher than him enter the league through the draft. Yet none of them produce like he did.

Yet so many talk about Owens as though he's some sort of insanely talented athlete and underachieved in the NFL. Owens is the quintessential overachiever. He's not an all-time talent. He's an all-time player. The two are not mutually exclusive, nor are they mutually inclusive.

Pretty clear the OP has no idea what talent is. T.O. is one of the most talented receivers ever.

Please stop

Pretty clear the OP has no idea what talent is. T.O. is one of the most talented receivers ever.

Please stop

If I have no idea, please explain it to me.

Numbers = / = talent.

Talent is something you are born with that you naturally excel at.

The most talented receivers ever don't typically have to go to division I-AA schools. They don't typically run 4.68 in the 40-yard-dash, leap only 33 inches, do poorly in the cone drill and shuttle as well, and get a "C-" grade from the team that drafted them in hands. They're not typically bench players on their varsity high school football teams (Owens got little playing time in high school, look it up).

Didn't even bother reading this.

TO is a top 10 all time receiver