BillySims

Why do people consider Terrell Owens so "talented?"

It's funny this thread got bumped because I was just thinking about Owens yesterday while listening to NFL on Sirius. He's a HOFer RIGHT NOW. But had the Eagles won that Super Bowl he would have gone down as a legend in Philadelphia. His Super Bowl performance would have been regarded as legendary. It's easy to forget the grueling rehab he went through to be ready to play in that game. And remember that was back in the days when Belichick's defenses could make some of the best players in the league look horrible.

I still remember completely losing my mind when TO caught his first pass (short cross or drag route if I recall correctly) and he gave the Patriots DB a little stiff arm as he was going out of bounds.

Donny without TO = Above Average running QB.

Donny with TO = HOF QB

Donny wihout TO again = Bum

Add to that, 'historic' game winning catches/plays in huge moments for one legendary team, another NFL 'Staple' team, and then a few great years with another legendary team with a mediocre QB.

And always the top receiver for the team he plays with, barring Jerry.

Then there's the little things. He's huge for a WR, can block, and draws coverage away from your other receivers and your RB/TE.

Damn if Don wasn't his own worst enemy, like a Greek tragedy, when he turned on TO he destroyed any possibility of proving Rush and friends wrong. It would have been the equivalent of Randal Cunningham dissing Randy Moss, or better yet, Joe Cool making fun of Jerry Rice. But ole'Don just couldn't help himself.

He was pretty unstoppable with the 49ers and in Philly...In Dallas I wasn't as impressed with him, I mean his numbers were very good, but I felt they force fed him the ball to keep him quiet.

He averaged 16.7 yards/catch and the Cowboys won 13 games in his 2007 all-pro season, so if they were forcing him the ball, force away.

He averaged 16.7 yards/catch and the Cowboys won 13 games in his 2007 all-pro season, so if they were forcing him the ball, force away.

I agree, he was very talented while playing with the Cowboys. Good point.

Why oh why did you bump this awful thread again?

TO isn't relevant anymore. C'mon guys, let's move on already...

No, he was just very good despite his lack of talent.

What is talent anyway? That's subjective. What is OBJECTIVE is productivity. TO was productive. He was dominant. He was a force.

What is talent anyway? That's subjective. What is OBJECTIVE is productivity. TO was productive. He was dominant. He was a force.

Talent is about being a natural at something. For wide receivers, being naturally fast, agile, explosive, having leaping ability, hand-eye coordination, etc...is what composes talent.

Proof of how slow T.O. was: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-EvFb1d_ai4vPY7WXc6zg/videos

Apparently the YT user thinks these clips prove he was fast, but they actually show how painfully slow he was.

That channel just reminded me how f'ing unbelievable TO was...what a player, shame he was a 5 year old boy in a mans body.

Proof of how slow T.O. was: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-EvFb1d_ai4vPY7WXc6zg/videos

Apparently the YT user thinks these clips prove he was fast, but they actually show how painfully slow he was.

I have to give you credit for sticking to your point Bill. It's almost 3 years now

But T.O was never regarded as a burner. He has physical and could run all the necessary routes and go over the middle

This thread can't be real.

I think I've just contracted ebola from reading it.

I agree, he was very talented while playing with the Cowboys. Good point.

It's amazing how much hate the man inspired. He was a GREAT signing by the Cowboys. Legit ProBowl player in 06 and All-Pro player in 07. He hit the wall in 08, but that happens to most every player over 30......at some point they lose it.

But back to the hate. I still debate the merits of his signing and value to those Cowboys teams. Some fans simply refuse to acknowledge the facts. The hate is too strong.

He was a GREAT signing by the Cowboys. Legit ProBowl player in 06 and All-Pro player in 07. He hit the wall in 08, but that happens to most every player over 30......at some point they lose it.

Well then considering your already half crippled QB will be 35 in early April (Yikes) it's inevitable that he'll be splattered on said "wall" any day now.

Hope you enjoyed your ultimately meaningless division title and gift-wrapped WC win pinhead because it's back to textbook mediocrity for the brokebacks.

Well then considering your already half crippled QB will be 35 in early April (Yikes) it's inevitable that he'll be splattered on said "wall" any day now.

Hope you enjoyed your ultimately meaningless division title and gift-wrapped WC win pinhead because it's back to textbook mediocrity for the brokebacks.

It really is amazing what Romo was able to do last season having been half crippled...what a boss. He doesn't strike you as a mans man because he looks and sounds like a goofball, but Romo to me really is a rare breed when it comes to pain tolerance.

It really is amazing what Romo was able to do last season having been half crippled...what a boss. He doesn't strike you as a mans man because he looks and sounds like a goofball, but Romo to me really is a rare breed when it comes to pain tolerance.

Say what? He needed weekly pregame epidural nerve-block injections, he wasn't "tolerating" sheet.

"Better living through chemistry"

What the heck is the point of this thread. Why on earth did you wake up thinking about this?

Did TO bend you over without your consent last night or something? The guy has not played a down of football in years.

I'm just curious as to how the most drops-prone receiver in NFL history, one of the slowest WRs in NFL history, a poor route running WR according to scouts (and Owens himself, who called route running his weakness), is known as a great talent? A great talent who somehow underachieved despite finishing 2nd in NFL history in receiving yards and 3rd in history in receiving touchdowns.

He should be the inspiration for a football version of Rocky with how much he overachieved.

I'm just curious as to how the most drops-prone receiver in NFL history, one of the slowest WRs in NFL history, a poor route running WR according to scouts (and Owens himself, who called route running his weakness), is known as a great talent? A great talent who somehow underachieved despite finishing 2nd in NFL history in receiving yards and 3rd in history in receiving touchdowns.

He should be the inspiration for a football version of Rocky with how much he overachieved.

How did Jerry Rice, a guy who ran a 4.7 40 with no real size, speed or quickness advantage become the greatest WR of all time?

A: WORK ETHIC.

The same applies to TO. Say what you want about him, but the guy was a workaholic.

Ironically, I see a lot of TO in Matthews.

How did Jerry Rice, a guy who ran a 4.7 40 with no real size, speed or quickness advantage become the greatest WR of all time?

A: WORK ETHIC.

The same applies to TO. Say what you want about him, but the guy was a workaholic.

Ironically, I see a lot of TO in Matthews.

Rice didn't run a 4.7. That comes from the land of internet make-believe. Rice was also a superb route runner with great hands. Owens was a poor route runner with bad hands.