BillySims

Why do people consider Terrell Owens so "talented?"

This thread is like Michael Myers, it just won't stay dead and keeps getting worse and worse.

and that is a scary thought my friend lol

Owens might not have a whole lot of natural talent but the guy worked his a** off to become one of the best wide receivers of all time. Did you ever watch the guy play? In his prime he was a beast. Moss relied on his athletic abilities moreso and was a wonderful deep threat. Owens could catch the ball anywhere, break a few tackles and score.

Owens isn't liked for a ton of reasons but his work ethic is unquestionable.

110% this...

I'd take Owens over Moss 9 times outta 10... call me crazy, but TO was fast, was not afraid to go down the middle, caught it anywhere, he was a playmaker. Did i mention he was a good blocker and ALWAYS gave his all, yea his attitude wasn't the greatest... but when he was on that field, you knew he was going to give you EVERYTHING.

OP admit it, you never watched him play.

That's ok. You missed it.

Guy legitimately replaced the undisputed best WR in all of football (look up Jerry Rice). Replaced him.

Yes, millions of kids over the past three decades have worked out harder than TO, and abstained from any and all "partying", and most never made a college squad, and none made the NFL. TO made it and they didn't because of talent.

You act like any kid in america can work out his way into the NFL. No talent required at all.

Newsflash pumpkin, in athletics, talent trumps work ethic, every time. Every, time.

TO just happens to show what results when a supreme talent like him or Jerry rice marries work ethic(rare, because talent does trump work ethic, so the best rarely have it, the other 70 to 90 percent of the NFL do, and in spades) Records get set. Without the work ethic, TO doesn't set records. Without supreme talent, he never sniffs the NFL.

the only way you "win", is by outright lying about his measurables, which is transparent and been dismissed.

You have zero.

Well, Owens was 6'2." That excludes quite a few people. I suppose you think being tall is a talent now.

Tell me again about what a great talent Chris Dudley was to get in the NBA.

It's a similar principle, except with Owens, along with the height, he worked harder and learned the game better than anyone.

Talent trumps work ethic, pumpkin? That must be why Ryan Leaf was so successful. Why Michael Vick is the greatest QB ever. Both way better than supermarket bagger Kurt Warner, who was the Cleveland Browns taking him in the 99 expansion draft away from BEING OUT OF FOOTBALL A YEAR OR TWO LATER.

I didn't lie about his measurables. I even linked to a video where he says he ran a 4.63, and this was in the days of the handheld STOPWATCH, which everyone who follows the combine/workouts knows leads to significantly lower times than accurate, electronic times (as they use today). So in actuality, he was worse than 4.7.

There are offensive linemen that are/were faster than Owens. Wes Welker is faster than Terrell Owens.

Then you combine that with a 33-inch vertical (look it up), and the fact that he had piss-poor change-of-direction/agility (this is well documented by numerous actual NFL scouts) and bad hands (also well-documented), and you get the greatest overachiever in the history of sports.

I don't see what is so hard for people to understand. It's like you want to redefine the word "talent" to fit your desire to make it look like he failed in some way because you resent him. To pretend that he wasted something.

In actuality, he played 15 years more than he had any business playing. There are millions of Terrell Owenses out there in terms of talent and most of them are mopping floors.

Look, I posted something where he said what he ran. I'm going to ignore the part, in that same interview, about why he ran that time. That's fair, right?

Why he ran that time? That's easy - his time appeared much faster than it was because it was on a stopwatch, as opposed to electronically. In actuality, he ran in the 4.7 range.

Oh, you mean his excuse for it. Well, let's see...a 22-year-old kid who averages about 2 minutes per game playing basketball and I'd assume got a good night's sleep before the combine...ran a 4.7 instead of a 4.4 or something because his legs were just sooooo tired from the basketball.

Give. Me. A. Break.

Why he ran that time? That's easy - his time appeared much faster than it was because it was on a stopwatch, as opposed to electronically. In actuality, he ran in the 4.7 range.

Oh, you mean his excuse for it. Well, let's see...a 22-year-old kid who averages about 2 minutes per game playing basketball and I'd assume got a good night's sleep before the combine...ran a 4.7 instead of a 4.4 or something because his legs were just sooooo tired from the basketball.

Give. Me. A. Break.

Idiot. His talent was catching lots of footballs for lots of yards and lots of td's. Who cares about his measurables. A 1st down is a first down. A td is a td. You must be a complete dope to keep this arguement up.

Speed, leaping ability, agility, hands/hand-eye coordination.

If you think TO is slow or lacks agility, I don't know what to say. You can cite that story about his 40 time, all you have to do is watch him play and it's clear that he was fast and powerful. He didn't have elite hands but they weren't bad either.

Idiot. His talent was catching lots of footballs for lots of yards and lots of td's. Who cares about his measurables. A 1st down is a first down. A td is a td. You must be a complete dope to keep this arguement up.

That's not what talent means.

Talent is about a natural ability to do something.

Michael Jordan could have hated basketball, decided to never dribble a basketball in his life, become a custodian instead, and he'd still have been infinitely more talented than some journeyman NBA guard who dedicated his life to it.

Owens was among the worst in all athletic areas of his WR peers, yet he was an elite WR. That's what we call, "overachieving."

Michael Jordan could have hated basketball, decided to never dribble a basketball in his life, become a custodian instead, and he'd still have been infinitely more talented than some journeyman NBA guard who dedicated his life to it.

Owens was among the worst in all athletic areas of his WR peers, yet he was an elite WR. That's what we call, "overachieving."

His talent was the ability to catch a lot of footballs for a lot of yards and a lot of tds. Your dumb.

Want to read something more humorous?

Let me get this straight. The OP is basing his judgement on Owens based on metrics people use to try and maximize the possibility of drafting a successful NFL player versus using the immensely successful, consistent and large amount of data that's already shown his success?

That's like telling someone why Secreteriat should never be able to win a race after the horse has already won the Triple Crown?!?!

If metrics were accurate bell weather tests of players potential, the draft would net out players somewhere in the 90% level. Instead it's less than 30%!

Why would you possibly base your opinion on his pre draft metrics, which have a documented low rate of accuracy, versus his actual accomplishments and career stats, which have a 100% rate of accuracy?!?!

Let me get this straight. The OP is basing his judgement on Owens based on metrics people use to try and maximize the possibility of drafting a successful NFL player versus using the immensely successful, consistent and large amount of data that's already shown his success?

That's like telling someone why Secreteriat should never be able to win a race after the horse has already won the Triple Crown?!?!

If metrics were accurate bell weather tests of players potential, the draft would net out players somewhere in the 90% level. Instead it's less than 30%!

Why would you possibly base your opinion on his pre draft metrics, which have a documented low rate of accuracy, versus his actual accomplishments and career stats, which have a 100% rate of accuracy?!?!

but he did it with no talent

Because the OP is a clueless idiot that for some reason, wants to believe in a fairyland fantasy that somebody without talent can just "workout" their way to the top of the NFL record books.

Ignoring the fact that millions of kids over the years have worked out harder than TO, and never sniffed a college football squad, much less an NFL roster.

Apparently he's a child who is still clinging to the myth "you can do anything if you just try hard enough".

No, it's nothing like that whatsoever. Speed is speed.

Success in a sport such as football is about a variety of different abilities, which are what determines whether someone is talented or not.

Speed, agility, hand-eye-coordination, leaping ability. Owens was 0 for 4 in those attributes.

Metrics evaluate talent. But talent is only one part of the equation. Work ethic and intangibles are the other. Owens had the latter and not the former. That's the point of this thread.

Because the OP is a clueless idiot that for some reason, wants to believe in a fairyland fantasy that somebody without talent can just "workout" their way to the top of the NFL record books.

Ignoring the fact that millions of kids over the years have worked out harder than TO, and never sniffed a college football squad, much less an NFL roster.

Apparently he's a child who is still clinging to the myth "you can do anything if you just try hard enough".

You're the moron knocking down straw men. I think it's pretty clear I'm talking in RELATIVE terms. Obviously he's still more talented than your fat a** eating chips by your computer.

Owens had average division 2 level college football talent. That's LITERALLY what he had and that's LITERALLY where he went. Did you know that NO college offered him a scholarship except UTC, and the UTC coach wasn't there to watch him, he was there to watch a teammate of his and only noticed him while watching Owens during a BASKETBALL game? And that they only offered Owens a partial scholarship? And that nobody ever expected him to even see the field in college, let alone become a starter and get drafted?

That he basically just disappeared into the weight room and came out a different-looking player to where there are still rumors down there that he did steroids to make his career?

You're the moron knocking down straw men. I think it's pretty clear I'm talking in RELATIVE terms. Obviously he's still more talented than your fat a** eating chips by your computer.

Owens had average division 2 level college football talent. That's LITERALLY what he had and that's LITERALLY where he went. Did you know that NO college offered him a scholarship except UTC, and the UTC coach wasn't there to watch him, he was there to watch a teammate of his and only noticed him while watching Owens during a BASKETBALL game? And that they only offered Owens a partial scholarship? And that nobody ever expected him to even see the field in college, let alone become a starter and get drafted?

That he basically just disappeared into the weight room and came out a different-looking player to where there are still rumors down there that he did steroids to make his career?

This is literally to stupid to even address. Bodies change immensely between 18 and 21. By your idiotic argument, jerry rice, wilbert Montgomery and randy moss had no football talent, because they could only get on a small college team when they were 18.

TO had immense talent. We really can't help it that you aren't football astute enough to know that.

This is literally to stupid to even address. Bodies change immensely between 18 and 21. By your idiotic argument, jerry rice, wilbert Montgomery and randy moss had no football talent, because they could only get on a small college team when they were 18.

TO had immense talent. We really can't help it that you aren't football astute enough to know that.

Uh, no. Randy Moss went to Florida State and got kicked out for behavior. He was a national phenom in high school; a 5 star recruit.

Jerry Rice was never considered the greatest talent, but he was considered talented enough to go 16th overall in the draft despite playing at Mississippi Valley State.

Owens went 89th overall.

Owens's body only changed because he hit the weight room. He ran as slow coming out as he was coming in - 4.6-4.7. With a 33 inch vertical jump, which is below average. And piss-poor 3 cone drill/short shuttle times. And "C minus hands."

He had height and, after hitting the weight room like no other, good weight (213 pounds coming out).