BillySims

Why do people consider Terrell Owens so "talented?"

so kobe bryant had no talent? Cause he sacrificed all those things and out worked everybody to get stronger. And not everybody has the "talent" to get the body Owens had

....I mean, really?

Where did I say working hard means you don't have talent?

And yes, everybody has the "talent" to get the body Owens has. A great physique from working out and eating specifically to enhance that physique is not a talent. Owens was a twig in high school.

TO just must be the luckiest receiver ever in the history of football and I guess just happened to constantly be lined up against corners who ran 4.8 40s for him to catch so many deep balls and get so many big runs after the catch.

Ok so a 6'2 fitness magazine model cou l d easily be a hall of famer. Your still a moron.

I hope you make this same "talent arguement" when Peyton Manning makes the Hall of Fame. He had a not so special arm and little athletic talent.

Does the 6'2" fitness model want to absorb everything football coaches tell him? If he's planning on playing receiver, does he at least run better than 5.0? Does he have an unbelievable drive for success and competitiveness? If so, then yes.

Re: Manning: Relative to his peers, of course not. Most QBs threw the ball better than him. But he was a master of the mental aspects of the position. He studied film like his life depended on it. QB is 95% mental.

Does the 6'2" fitness model want to absorb everything football coaches tell him? If he's planning on playing receiver, does he at least run better than 5.0? Does he have an unbelievable drive for success and competitiveness? If so, then yes.

Re: Manning: Relative to his peers, of course not. Most QBs threw the ball better than him. But he was a master of the mental aspects of the position. He studied film like his life depended on it. QB is 95% mental.

No

TO just must be the luckiest receiver ever in the history of football and I guess just happened to constantly be lined up against corners who ran 4.8 40s for him to catch so many deep balls and get so many big runs after the catch.

Owens probably never out-ran a corner in his life. The reason he was able to get behind corners was winning with his technique and weight/strength advantage at the line of scrimmage. Take a look at the play against Anthony Henry in the Browns video I linked. Henry tries to press him, Owens masterfully shoves him aside and instantly has about 5 yards of separation, and he has taken about 2 steps.

Work out like a mad man and eating nothing but chicken and egg whites like Owens, and cram the receiver technique coaching he did and you could do the same. Owens was 175 pounds sopping wet coming out of high school and when he first got to the 49ers, he couldn't get off the jam to save his life, being humiliated in practice by Marquez Pope. In this video, he was 226 pounds of freakish physique and throwing aside elite press corners like Henry like they were nothing.

Owens probably never out-ran a corner in his life. The reason he was able to get behind corners was winning with his technique and weight/strength advantage at the line of scrimmage. Take a look at the play against Anthony Henry in the Browns video I linked. Henry tries to press him, Owens masterfully shoves him aside and instantly has about 5 yards of separation, and he has taken about 2 steps.

Work out like a mad man and eating nothing but chicken and egg whites like Owens, and cram the receiver technique coaching he did and you could do the same. Owens was 175 pounds sopping wet coming out of high school and when he first got to the 49ers, he couldn't get off the jam to save his life, being humiliated in practice by Marquez Pope. In this video, he was 226 pounds of freakish physique and throwing aside elite press corners like Henry like they were nothing.

1,078 receptions for 15,934 yards and 153 touchdowns.

I know. It's incredible how much he did with so little talent. That's why he's the greatest overachiever in the history of sports.

Imagine what he could have done if he had speed, hand-eye coordination, agility, and leaping ability.

He would've been a legitimate threat to Jerry Rice's GOAT claim.

Of course, you resort to using vague anecdotal examples completely lacking in any compatible comparison. How tall were these kids you speak of? What position did they play? What college did they go to? Were they working out and eating properly, as Owens was, or doing it wrong like 99% of the people who try?

Also, what's a "heroine" addict? A female addict the audience is supposed to root for?

If you're going to call me a troll, try not to sound like such a moron.

Of coarse I am. I arguing with a lying POS who uses the fact that once upon a time, he knew some black kids who drank as "proof" there is no such thing as serious youth athletes. Anywhere in America. Ever.

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

No, they could not.

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

I know. It's incredible how much he did with so little talent. That's why he's the greatest overachiever in the history of sports.

Imagine what he could have done if he had speed, hand-eye coordination, agility, and leaping ability.

Plus this means that in the history of the NFL, not one single wr outside of TO and Rice have EVER taken their profession and training seriously.

Not a single one according to your "no talent in TO theory". Because if one had, they would own the record books so completely, no one would give TO a second thought.

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

No, it means nothing of the sort. You're just too stupid to grasp the most rudimentary logic.

There have been tons and tons of great receivers in NFL history. Some of them take it more seriously than others. Nobody took it more seriously than Owens and Rice.

Let's have a look:

Michael Irvin: Do we really need to go there? Coke and hookers, anyone? Plus, his career was ended early with a neck injury.

James Lofton: Charged with sexual assault more than once.

Randy Moss: Loved his weed. Known to not give a crap sometimes.

Mike Quick: Could have done special things but injuries ended his run of great years.

Sterling Sharpe: Career ended early with neck injury.

Cris Carter: Drug problems in early career kept him from achieving potential sooner. As slow as Owens, but had way more talent in other areas.

Tim Brown: Flopped in his early career. Situation with Al Davis's mess hurt him.

Isaac Bruce: Played on awful Rams teams before the Greatest Show On Turf years. Hamstring injury problems.

Marvin Harrison: Blew out his knee right when he was in pursuit, ending his career.

Torry Holt: Knees were shot after 8 years.

Calvin Johnson: Didn't have the passion, as he'd rather retire than put up with aches and pains.

Do I need to go on? Or can you not grasp how there are other factors that affect numbers besides talent? Moron.

Of coarse I am. I arguing with a lying POS who uses the fact that once upon a time, he knew some black kids who drank as "proof" there is no such thing as serious youth athletes. Anywhere in America. Ever.

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

No, they could not.

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

Ah, so you're not going to address the question? Gee, I wonder why that is. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you actually know of no compatible scenarios with tall kids as dedicated as Terrell Owens was not being able to make it as an NFL wide receiver. It's just that I'm apparently "lying," even though you have absolutely no examples of me lying about anything. I even provided a link to Owens verifying exactly what I said about what he ran in the 40, but apparently I'm still "lying" "just because."

You're a joke.

Ah, so you're not going to address the question? Gee, I wonder why that is. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you actually know of no compatible scenarios with tall kids as dedicated as Terrell Owens was not being able to make it as an NFL wide receiver. It's just that I'm apparently "lying," even though you have absolutely no examples of me lying about anything. I even provided a link to Owens verifying exactly what I said about what he ran in the 40, but apparently I'm still "lying" "just because."

You're a joke.

No, it means nothing of the sort. You're just too stupid to grasp the most rudimentary logic.

There have been tons and tons of great receivers in NFL history. Some of them take it more seriously than others. Nobody took it more seriously than Owens and Rice.

Let's have a look:

Michael Irvin: Do we really need to go there? Coke and hookers, anyone? Plus, his career was ended early with a neck injury.

Mike Quick: Could have done special things but injuries ended his run of great years.

Cris Carter: Drug problems in early career kept him from achieving potential sooner. As slow as Owens, but had way more talent in other areas.

Tim Brown: Flopped in his early career. Situation with Al Davis's mess hurt him.

Isaac Bruce: Played on awful Rams teams before the Greatest Show On Turf years. Hamstring injury problems.

Marvin Harrison: Blew out his knee right when he was in pursuit, ending his career.

Calvin Johnson: Didn't have the passion, as he'd rather retire than put up with aches and pains.

Do I need to go on? Or can you not grasp how there are other factors that affect numbers besides talent? Moron.

Let's have a look:

I can't pretend I'm not surprised you're too stupid to understand it, but not only is that exactly what you're saying, but while trying to deny that's what you're saying, you provide examples to prove you're right for saying it.

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

Let's look at some infamous 1st round WR busts:

Reggie Williams, Jaguars: Arrested multiple times for marijuana and cocaine possession. Super dedicated, yo.

Mike Williams, Lions: Showed up to camp so fat he was fined for it. Sounds very similar to T.O. in work ethic!

Roy Williams, Lions/Cowboys:

Williams, who played last season for the Bears, believes he can still play. But he has accepted that he is done in the NFL, saying that when the Dolphins invited him to work out and he wasn’t interested, he knew he didn’t have the passion for the game anymore.

It’s hard to quit when you have been doing something the third grade,” Williams said, via the Star-Telegram. “I’m in good shape. I’m at 208 pounds, my lowest weight since college. I can still play. But when I declined to workout in Miami, I knew I was done.”

....Sounds like a passionate competitor to me! Didn't even want to work out for a team at the age of 30. Owens is 42 and still wants to play.

J.J. Stokes, 49ers: Constantly had his work ethic knocked. Here's Steve Young talking about Stokes's uber-dedication that totally compares to that of Owens:

"I've tried it all," said Steve Young, 49er quarterback, at the opening of training camp. "I yelled and screamed at him, tried to embarrass him and just left him alone. The key belongs to him. He has to motivate himself."

Oh, and here's a funny quote about Owens from the Stokes article I got that quote from (http://articles.latimes.com/1997/jul/29/sports/sp-17209):

"Terrell Owens? No, not your every-down Art Monk budding superstar but, shoot, good enough to play ahead of Stokes eventually, even with a screw in his foot."

Owens was so obviously talented that going into his 2nd year, he was thought of as, "meh."

R.J. Soward: "R. Jay Soward leaves USC aware that inconsistency and a questionable work ethic have left him with much more to show than his 40-yard time."

Must have flopped because he didn't have Owens's magical talent to catch an underneath pass the defense gives him and then use 226 pounds he slaved over to accumulate to break tackles of 180 pound DBs.

David Terrell: Arrested on felony marijuana charges. Smoking weed is a sign of dedication to fitness, it's not what lazy people do or anything.

What a coincidence that they all demonstrated signs of not being dedicated to success in the NFL! That clearly wasn't why they didn't achieve more than Owens. It was because of Owens's magical "ball reading" abilitiezzzz and da visionzzz. Not literally, as Owens was actually near-sighted and had laser eye surgery to correct it, but da ability to, like, see where defenders are when he's looking at them in the open field.

You're a joke.

You posted no question worthy of consideration.

I'm talking down to a moron who says because once upon a time he knew some black athletes who drank, serious youth athletes do not exist.

When called on it, this is your fungus level IQ response- "tall ones don't exist"(for the record, several of the kids I knew were 6'3" or taller. One 6'7")

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

I can't pretend I'm not surprised you're too stupid to understand it, but not only is that exactly what you're saying, but while trying to deny that's what you're saying, you provide examples to prove you're right for saying it.

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

No, you're just an utter dunce. That's not even remotely what I'm saying.

Nowhere did I say that working hard was an all-or-nothing phenomenon. It exists on a continuum.

And in that regard, Owens is #1 all-time.

There were talented guys who worked hard, but not as hard as Owens. Those guys were all excellent receivers who could have been even better if they'd had Owens's dedication.

Only a paint chip-eating doofus such as yourself would think there's any sort of contradiction there.

You posted no question worthy of consideration.

I'm talking down to a moron who says because once upon a time he knew some black athletes who drank, serious youth athletes do not exist.

When called on it, this is your fungus level IQ response- "tall ones don't exist"(for the record, several of the kids I knew were 6'3" or taller. One 6'7")

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

And were they wide receivers?

I mean, the fact that I have to actually drag this out of you bit by bit demonstrates you're making it up as you go along, but it's such a pathetic attempt to counter my point that it doesn't even matter.

I think everyone who doesn't have their head buried in the sand knows alcohol and marijuana are ubiquitous among high school and college students.

Let's look at some infamous 1st round WR busts:

Reggie Williams, Jaguars: Arrested multiple times for marijuana and cocaine possession. Super dedicated, yo.

Mike Williams, Lions: Showed up to camp so fat he was fined for it. Sounds very similar to T.O. in work ethic!

Roy Williams, Lions/Cowboys:

Williams, who played last season for the Bears, believes he can still play. But he has accepted that he is done in the NFL, saying that when the Dolphins invited him to work out and he wasn’t interested, he knew he didn’t have the passion for the game anymore.

"It’s hard to quit when you have been doing something the third grade,” Williams said, via the Star-Telegram. “I’m in good shape. I’m at 208 pounds, my lowest weight since college. I can still play. But when I declined to workout in Miami, I knew I was done.”

....Sounds like a passionate competitor to me! Didn't even want to work out for a team at the age of 30. Owens is 42 and still wants to play.

J.J. Stokes, 49ers: Constantly had his work ethic knocked. Here's Steve Young talking about Stokes's uber-dedication that totally compares to that of Owens:

"I've tried it all," said Steve Young, 49er quarterback, at the opening of training camp. "I yelled and screamed at him, tried to embarrass him and just left him alone. The key belongs to him. He has to motivate himself."

Oh, and here's a funny quote about Owens from the Stokes article I got that quote from (http://articles.latimes.com/1997/jul/29/sports/sp-17209):

"Terrell Owens? No, not your every-down Art Monk budding superstar but, shoot, good enough to play ahead of Stokes eventually, even with a screw in his foot."

Owens was so obviously talented that going into his 2nd year, he was thought of as, "meh."

R.J. Soward: "R. Jay Soward leaves USC aware that inconsistency and a questionable work ethic have left him with much more to show than his 40-yard time."

Must have flopped because he didn't have Owens's magical talent to catch an underneath pass the defense gives him and then use 226 pounds he slaved over to accumulate to break tackles of 180 pound DBs.

David Terrell: Arrested on felony marijuana charges. Smoking weed is a sign of dedication to fitness, it's not what lazy people do or anything.

What a coincidence that they all demonstrated signs of not being dedicated to success in the NFL! That clearly wasn't why they didn't achieve more than Owens. It was because of Owens's magical "ball reading" abilitiezzzz and da visionzzz. Not literally, as Owens was actually near-sighted and had laser eye surgery to correct it, but da ability to, like, see where defenders are when he's looking at them in the open field.

And while claiming that isn't what he's saying, the OPidiot posts stupid anecdotes trying to prove Rice and TO were the only wr's in NFL history to take their careers and training seriously.

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

Now you're just deliberately misrepresenting my argument out of malice. You're pathetic.

And now weeping openly at his own stupidity exposed.

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.

Me: "Here are examples of 1st round busts and notice that all of them were known to have piss-poor work ethic."

You: "the OPidiot posts stupid anecdotes trying to prove Rice and TO were the only wr's in NFL history to take their careers and training seriously."

I think it's pretty obvious who the stupid one is here. There are 8-year-olds with better reading comprehension than you.

Now you're just deliberately misrepresenting my argument out of malice. You're pathetic.

Me: "Here are examples of 1st round busts and notice that all of them were known to have piss-poor work ethic."

You: "the OPidiot posts stupid anecdotes trying to prove Rice and TO were the only wr's in NFL history to take their careers and training seriously."

I think it's pretty obvious who the stupid one is here. There are 8-year-olds with better reading comprehension than you.

OPidiot urinates on himself in public and calls it a personal victory.

Yet again.

Dumbest.

Troll.

Ever.