BillySims

Why do people consider Terrell Owens so "talented?"

I must have missed something over the past 16 or so years. When has anybody ever said that TO underachieved for his career? The only thing I've heard over that period of time is that he was one of the best receivers in the game and also an a-hole

You must have lived in a cave, then. "He could have been one of the greatest ever, but he blew it." "Such a waste of talent." Those are two of the most popular statements on the internet about him.

You must have lived in a cave, then. "He could have been one of the greatest ever, but he blew it." "Such a waste of talent." Those are two of the most popular statements on the internet about him.

First, he is one of the greatest ever. That's universally known. As has been shown in this thread. You realize that the EMB is on the internet right?

Anyone who ever watched this guy play knows he was an absolute beast and if they don't then there's really no point in having a football conversation with them. Because they know nothing about the game.

2nd he did waste his talent. Football isn't just about stats. It's also about being a good teammate and doing everything you can to help your team win. TO did the opposite and destroyed teams.

The 2 things are not mutually exclusive. He was one of the greatest ever but at the same time a waste.

First, he is one of the greatest ever. That's universally known. As has been shown in this thread. You realize that the EMB is on the internet right?

Not really. The quote, "he could have been one of the greatest ever" is ubiquitous. That implies he's not one of the greatest ever.

2nd he did waste his talent. Football isn't just about stats. It's also about being a good teammate and doing everything you can to help your team win. TO did the opposite and destroyed teams.

So wait, he was one of the greatest players ever and an "absolute beast," as you put it, but he didn't help his team win? That's a contradiction.

And saying that one man can "destroy a team" is utterly asinine, by the way. This is a non-sequitur as it pertains to this thread, but that claim is absolutely ridiculous. How can people seriously believe that nonsense? Aside from the fact that most of the teams he was on won a lot of football games, essentially disproving that very point...it's utterly insane to blame some wide receiver, who really has the personality of a country boy when he's not on camera, for "destroying" (whatever the heck that even means) a team of 50+ players. How could one man have that much power? He'd basically have to be God.

The 2 things are not mutually exclusive. He was one of the greatest ever but at the same time a waste.

Yes, they are. You can't overachieve the way Owens did and have been a "waste of talent."

Who let this moron create a thread? Let me guess Sanatana Moss had more talent than Randy Moss, right Billy?

Randy Moss fell because of off field issues. He would have been a Top 5 pick otherwise.

Seriously, do you people know anything about football?

you are stupid and do not know football at all....

Great argument.

Randy Moss fell because of off field issues. He would have been a Top 5 pick otherwise.

Seriously, do you people know anything about football?

Great argument.

are you serious? Name me one person in this thread that backs your argument. All you have is one GM who i have never even heard of.

are you serious? Name me one person in this thread that backs your argument. All you have is one GM who i have never even heard of.

I still to this point have no idea what his argument really is. Sounds like he's saying if you weren't drafted high, then you're not talented. Or if you work hard at your craft, you're not talented. Either way, his argument seems foolish.

GM...vs. people in this thread.

If you've ever read scouting reports on Owens, you'd see they tend to be similar to what the GM said.

NFL defensive backs such as Dwight Smith back me up as well.

I still to this point have no idea what his argument really is. Sounds like he's saying if you weren't drafted high, then you're not talented. Or if you work hard at your craft, you're not talented. Either way, his argument seems foolish.

Not talented relatively speaking. The only exception to this rule is a player who was unproductive in college who had the talent to be a good player if somebody flipped the switch. But those guys pretty much never pan out (Rashard Anderson was an example of this).

Good players who have exceptional talent get drafted high. That's just the way it is.

You realize that Matt Millen was once a GM right? Just because you get a GM job, it doesn't mean you are a football genius. 75% of the ppl on this board could have done a better job running a team then him. It would be almost impossible not to

And yet, there were 5 team GMs who drafted/signed/traded for him to play for their team, (San Fran, Philly, Dallas, Buffalo, Cincy) with a 6th one, (Baltimore) attempting to trade for him.

If you've ever read scouting reports on Owens, you'd see they tend to be similar to what the GM said.

NFL defensive backs such as Dwight Smith back me up as well.

Not talented relatively speaking. The only exception to this rule is a player who was unproductive in college who had the talent to be a good player if somebody flipped the switch. But those guys pretty much never pan out (Rashard Anderson was an example of this).

Good players who have exceptional talent get drafted high. That's just the way it is.

proof that more than Dwight have said along the same thing? most of what i listed i had links for proof

Ozzie Newsome wanted him. He's generally considered one of the best GMs in the game. I guess an unnamed GMs opinion carries more weight tho.

Have you ever been checked for an extra chromosome?

Ozzie Newsome wanted him. He's generally considered one of the best GMs in the game. I guess an unnamed GMs opinion carries more weight tho.

Have you ever been checked for an extra chromosome?

No-bo-dy e-ver said a-ny-thing a-bout teams not want-ing him.

How in the world is this so hard for you people to follow? Owens was a great player. He was not a great talent in relation to other NFL wide receivers. He compensated for a lack of natural talent with hard work and determination on the field.

This thread is about talent, not about performance.

Every single team in the NFL wanted TO in his prime

Actually, the only two teams that even made the 49ers an offer in 2004 were the Ravens and the Eagles. The Eagles only offered James Thrash and a 5th round pick. The Ravens' 2nd round pick was by far the best offer the 49ers received.

Some teams thought he was a great receiver, and others were bothered by his athletic limitations, despite his production. Personally, I don't think he was overrated at all. I don't mind more dropped passes if the receiver still finds a way to make big plays. And there are ways around a guy who struggles as a route runner. Owens excelled on the simple, straight line patterns where he could use his release techniques and his frame. It only became a problem when teams tried to have him run out routes (corners often jump his out routes, leading to INTs and near-INTs) and other patterns that required him to make quick cuts.

proof that more than Dwight have said along the same thing? most of what i listed i had links for proof

Ken Lucas said something once when he was with the Seahawks. It's hard to find articles from that long ago.

Revis called him a "slouch." That's very easy to find. Ryan Clark agreed with Revis on TV. That might not be written anywhere.

Terrell figured to be drafted, but he didn’t know how high he would go. At 6-3 and more than 200 pounds, he had the size to play in the NFL. Speed wasn’t an issue, either. Terrell had honed his running technique on the track and was also a handful to bring down after the reception. Working against him was the conference he played in and the quality of competition he faced.

http://www.jockbio.c.../Owens_bio.html

by Dan Parzych a Philly beat writer

Owens’ talent will always be missed by players and fans of the Eagles across the country. Unfortunately, the type of individual and player he was is something that will never be missed, no matter how hard the case is made.

http://bleacherrepor...-not-the-player

by Reuben Frank CSN Philly writer/analyst

Is there room for a bust of Terrell Owens in the Pro Football Hall of Fame? Is there room in the Hall’s second-floor Gallery next to Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin and Bobby Hayes for one of the most talented and most confounding players in recent NFL history?

http://www.csnbayare...?blockID=538559

by sean salisbury

will say this: I don't blame the Eagles organization for taking a chance by bringing him into the fold. He's a great talent

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2214874

by Mark Schelereth

His great talent, combined with his ability to whine if the ball doesn't come his way,

by Merril Hoge

What's really sad is that Owens is an amazingly talented receiver.

Here are some links from random sports sites some more credible than others to show that you really are the only one who thinks TO is talentless.

It is also funny that you say Dwight Smith backs you up but i have looked all over Google and Bing and cant find anything about Dwight making comments on TO got proof?

I have listed a ton of proof for everything I have stated and you have failed to do so how come?

Ken Lucas said something once when he was with the Seahawks. It's hard to find articles from that long ago.

Revis called him a "slouch." That's very easy to find. Ryan Clark agreed with Revis on TV. That might not be written anywhere.

provide links please

oh btw T.O said Revis is and average corner that does not make it true...

and Revis said TO is a slouch he didnt say he was not talented

meaning for slouch

google

slouch/slouCH/

Verb: Stand, move, or sit in a lazy, drooping way: "he slouched against the wall". Noun: A lazy, drooping posture or movement.

from merriam webster

a : an awkward fellow : lout b : one that is unimpressive; especially : a lazy or incompetent person —used in negative constructions <was no slouch at cooking>

: a gait or posture characterized by an ungainly stooping of the head and shoulders or excessive relaxation of body muscles

I dont see where it says someone with little talent. It actually is pretty much saying the meaning of slouch is lazy and you even stated that TO wasnt lazy with saying he worked hard to surpass his little talent.

and here is a quot from you

This diva image Owens has is nothing more than a put on. Owens knows how hard he has always had to work to do things other receivers take for granted. As much as he loves imitating cocky athletes, there's no way he actually believes he's like them, deep down. But people expect him to be a certain way, hence the self-fulfilling prophecy.
You are saying he is not lazy here in fact you say he works hard. You contradict your self with bringing up what Revis said.

More and more flaws with in your argument.

Written by...who? Jockbio.com? What are jockbio.com's credentials?

by Dan Parzych a Philly beat writer

http://bleacherrepor...-not-the-player

A bleacherreport writer (they let anybody write for bleacher report)? Nonetheless, we're talking about a writer here.

by Reuben Frank CSN Philly writer/analyst

http://www.csnbayare...?blockID=538559

Another writer.

An ESPN analyst and former backup quarterback who wasn't even in the league after Owens's rookie season, in which his last team in 1996 (Chargers) did not face the 49ers.

An ESPN analyst and former offensive guard. His Broncos faced Owens exactly twice during his career (1997 and 2000). As a guard, he was never on the field with him.

An ESPN analyst and former running back who retired before Owens's rookie season (1994 was his last season).

Here are some links from random sports sites some more credible than others to show that you really are the only one who thinks TO is talentless.

So from 6 guys who have absolutely no credentials to talk about Terrell Owens with any sort of credibility, you have somehow gathered I'm the "only one" who thinks T.O. is "talentless" (straw man once again - I never said Owens was talentless).

It is also funny that you say Dwight Smith backs you up but i have looked all over Google and Bing and cant find anything about Dwight making comments on TO got proof?

I have listed a ton of proof for everything I have stated and you have failed to do so how come?

provide links please

Look it up in google news archives. Here's a direct link to one possible search you could run:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&gl=us&biw=1680&bih=865&tbs=ar%3A1&tbm=nws&q=Terrell+Owens+who+is+he+going+to+outrun&oq=Terrell+Owens+who+is+he+going+to+outrun&gs_l=serp.3...3243.8510.0.8622.29.22.1.0.0.2.172.1512.20j2.22.0...0.0...1c.l3I83AVQul0

(The article is titled, "Bucs Stop the 49ers Cold").

All you have to do is run your search, and then hit "archives," which is listed on the left side.

oh btw T.O said Revis is and average corner that does not make it true...

Owens said that because Revis hurt his feelings by calling him a slouch. Check the chronological order.

and Revis said TO is a slouch he didnt say he was not talented

That's what slouch means. When you "slouch" in your chair, you are being lazy, but that's the verb form of the word. As a noun, it means you're a "bum." You're incompetent. You're nothing.

A bleacherreport writer (they let anybody write for bleacher report)? Nonetheless, we're talking about a writer here.

Another writer.

An ESPN analyst and former backup quarterback who wasn't even in the league after Owens's rookie season, in which his last team in 1996 (Chargers) did not face the 49ers.

An ESPN analyst and former offensive guard. His Broncos faced Owens exactly twice during his career (1997 and 2000). As a guard, he was never on the field with him.

An ESPN analyst and former running back who retired before Owens's rookie season (1994 was his last season).

So from 6 guys who have absolutely no credentials to talk about Terrell Owens with any sort of credibility, you have somehow gathered I'm the "only one" who thinks T.O. is "talentless" (straw man once again - I never said Owens was talentless).

provide links please

Look it up in google news archives. Here's a direct link to one possible search you could run:

https://www.google.c....1c.l3I83AVQul0

All you have to do is run your search, and then hit "archives," which is listed on the left side.

Another writer.

provide links please

https://www.google.c....1c.l3I83AVQul0

You're ****ting on people who played/analyze the game for a living but boosting your own opinion on a pedastal like you have half the credentials of all those people whose opinion you just ignored because it buries your nonsensical argument.

They're not just "writers", and even if they were, what the F are you?

You're ****ting on people who played/analyze the game for a living but boosting your own opinion on a pedastal like you have half the credentials of all those people whose opinion you just ignored because it buries your nonsensical argument.

They're not just "writers", and even if they were, what the F are you?

Analyze the game for a living? These guys are only on TV because they're former football players. Remember when Emmitt Smith was on TV and could barely get out a complete sentence?

They show up to work, talk out their rear ends, and get paid. They're not working for any teams and they're not spending hours studying game film and scouting. NFL General Managers and scouts are.

You're using freak'n sports writers as sources. Do you even realize how ridiculous that is? Any halfwit can be a sports writer.

I'm not basing it on me, I'm basing it on the opinions of the scouts and GMs who determined that Owens, despite being a great player, was the 12th best receiver in his own draft class. I'm basing it on scouting reports from various anonymous scouts. I'm basing it on General Managers and the opinions of defensive backs who actually faced him. You know...people whose opinions actually count for something.