BillySims

Why do people consider Terrell Owens so "talented?"

that same article

"Terrell Owens is an unbelievable talent. They brought him in because that's what Pete Carroll believes in is competition," Seattle receiver Doug Baldwin said. "He's going to come in immediately and compete for a job, and that's what we're all about here."

you love contradicting yourself

John Clayton just confirmed that Owens had never even run a 4.5 before, so this time was "curious."

that podcast didnt sound like john didnt believe he ran the 4.5

footballnation.com article

Why was the immortal Rice suddenly cast aside? To make way for the burgeoning Terrell Owens, who had come into his own by then and on talent alone demanded that he be the top wide receiver on the depth chart, something that couldn’t happen as long as Rice was still wearing the red and gold.

that same article

you love contradicting yourself

I'm not talking about the article, I'm talking about John Clayton saying Owens had never even run a 4.5 before. What kind of "incredible talent" is a wide receiver who ran no better than a 4.6 and obviously has bad hands and is not a great route runner? There are defensive ends in the league faster than Owens.

that podcast didnt sound like john didnt believe he ran the 4.5

He said it was "curious." It sounded like he may have been implying Owens is on steroids or something (which I doubt - I think it was just the usual thing of time keepers doing a horrible job with the stopwatches).

I'm not talking about the article, I'm talking about John Clayton saying Owens had never even run a 4.5 before. What kind of "incredible talent" is a wide receiver who ran no better than a 4.6 and obviously has bad hands and is not a great route runner? There are defensive ends in the league faster than Owens.

He said it was "curious." It sounded like he may have been implying Owens is on steroids or something (which I doubt - I think it was just the usual thing of time keepers doing a horrible job with the stopwatches).

oh so when a link you give me proves your point wrong it doesnt count? lol loser

It's a pretty dumb thing to say Terrell Owens is slow. It's an absolutely idiotic thing to say Terrell Owens isn't talented. How do you compile the 2nd best statistical career in the history of the game without talent? With hard work alone? Get out of here. Chad Hall works hard too.

God they were good together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grNew2N5Ygg&feature=related

It's a pretty dumb thing to say Terrell Owens is slow. It's an absolutely idiotic thing to say Terrell Owens isn't talented. How do you compile the 2nd best statistical career in the history of the game without talent? With hard work alone? Get out of here. Chad Hall works hard too.

God they were good together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grNew2N5Ygg&feature=related

Once again, that's circular logic. You're using his performance to prove that he's somehow a great "talent." So, by that same token...was Jerry Rice the most talented wide receiver in NFL history? I mean, after all, he had the greatest numbers.

Therefore, Rice must have been more talented than Randy Moss. Right?

If not, you just disproved your own argument.

And what's with all this "McNabb/Owens together" garbage? Owens was good with every QB he played with. McNabb deserves no credit whatsoever for Owens having yet another great year with him in 2004.

Once again, that's circular logic. You're using his performance to prove that he's somehow a great "talent." So, by that same token...was Jerry Rice the most talented wide receiver in NFL history? I mean, after all, he had the greatest numbers.

Therefore, Rice must have been more talented than Randy Moss. Right?

If not, you just disproved your own argument.

And what's with all this "McNabb/Owens together" garbage? Owens was good with every QB he played with. McNabb deserves no credit whatsoever for Owens having yet another great year with him in 2004.

Oh guys, Sims is right, Jerry Rice wasn't talented because Randy Moss also was. Case closed.

Hey Sims, who ran better routes, Moss or Rice? Is that not a talent anymore?

what an idiot.

Oh guys, Sims is right, Jerry Rice wasn't talented because Randy Moss also was. Case closed.

Hey Sims, who ran better routes, Moss or Rice? Is that not a talent anymore?

what an idiot.

Nobody ever said Owens isn't talented. That's your problem. You guys keep knocking down straw men.

Relative to his peers, Owens was not a great talent. There have been hundreds of more talented receivers to enter the NFL than Owens.

Same with Rice.

oh so when a link you give me proves your point wrong it doesnt count? lol loser

A wide receiver calling a new fellow teammate talented does not "prove [my] point wrong." You continue to insult me because you have absolutely no argument.

Nobody ever said Owens isn't talented. That's your problem. You guys keep knocking down straw men.

Relative to his peers, Owens was not a great talent. There have been hundreds of more talented receivers to enter the NFL than Owens.

Same with Rice.

how come those hundreds of receivers havnt even came close to the caliber players that Rice and Owens are/were?

BECAUSE THEY ARNT AS TALENTED get it through your thick skull you stupid a**

A wide receiver calling a new fellow teammate talented does not "prove [my] point wrong." You continue to insult me because you have absolutely no argument.

what argument do you have? I have more proof than you do of people saying TO is talented you and maybe like 5 other NFL fans in this entire world would say TO is not talented

. There have been hundreds of more talented receivers to enter the NFL than Owens. Beinng 46 I can say I have seen a lot of WR's come into the NFL with all world talent, yet they either got lazy, or had no work ethic, or had and attitude problem. So think John Jefferson, , Micheal Westbrook, Braylon Edwards, Roy Williams to name some

Now TO wasn't that talented? Seriously? He may not have the raw talent of Randy Moss (who is probably the best raw athletic raw talent in NFL history and pretty high on the list for any sport), but he's probably top 4 pure talents all time at the wr position.

For some reason, his combine measurables didn't jump off the page. But he outran and outjumped some absolute physical freak defenders. He could be just about anyone in a foot race in pads. He was a deep threat who could outmuscle a linebacker.

How can this thread still be going?

As long as people continue to repeat themselves, it'll never stop

Sit back and enjoy the comedy :lol:

how come those hundreds of receivers havnt even came close to the caliber players that Rice and Owens are/were?

BECAUSE THEY ARNT AS TALENTED get it through your thick skull you stupid a**

Yeah, Jerry Rice must have been more talented than Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson (although it remains to be seen whether he will finish with Rice's success, it's highly unlikely), Andre Johnson, John Jefferson, Tim Brown, et. al.

Do you not understand where following your "logic" through to its conclusion would take you?

Basically, you are telling me that Jerry Rice was the most talented wide receiver in NFL history. That's laughable, but if you actually believe that, well...there's nothing more I can do for you. You don't understand what the word "talent" means.

what argument do you have? I have more proof than you do of people saying TO is talented you and maybe like 5 other NFL fans in this entire world would say TO is not talented

You can't have more proof. Proof only can be had once. The word you are looking for is, "evidence."

You not only most certainly do not have "proof," you don't have any evidence, either. A bunch of sports writers referring to Owens as "talented" is utterly meaningless. It's called "appeal to improper authority." If John Doe, a construction worker, said, "hey, the Great Wall of China is the only man made object visible from outer space" (a myth), is this evidence that it's true? Of course not. Statements from actual astronomers are the only ones with actual credibility on the subject.

People who just believe what the media tells them aren't people at all. They're zombies.

Oh, and also, I never said Owens is not talented. This is like the 98349834th time you used that straw man.

Yeah, Jerry Rice must have been more talented than Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson (although it remains to be seen whether he will finish with Rice's success, it's highly unlikely), Andre Johnson, John Jefferson, Tim Brown, et. al.

Do you not understand where following your "logic" through to its conclusion would take you?

Basically, you are telling me that Jerry Rice was the most talented wide receiver in NFL history. That's laughable, but if you actually believe that, well...there's nothing more I can do for you. You don't understand what the word "talent" means.

You can't have more proof. Proof only can be had once. The word you are looking for is, "evidence."

You not only most certainly do not have "proof," you don't have any evidence, either. A bunch of sports writers referring to Owens as "talented" is utterly meaningless. It's called "appeal to improper authority." If John Doe, a construction worker, said, "hey, the Great Wall of China is the only man made object visible from outer space" (a myth), is this evidence that it's true? Of course not. Statements from actual astronomers are the only ones with actual credibility on the subject.

People who just believe what the media tells them aren't people at all. They're zombies.

Oh, and also, I never said Owens is not talented. This is like the 98349834th time you used that straw man.

lol i havnt seen any "proof" or "evidence" from you, you are the only one here who seriously thinks TO is not as talented as people make him out to be because you are a dumb arse.

Oh and btw one player who said TO is talentless is utterly meaningless as well. If i cant use people who study football and football talent for a living you cant use the one player who has said TO is not talented

so now all your arguments are voided what are you going to come back with now?

I can hardly wait to get another laugh from another one of your incredibly stupid posts. To bad you do not get banned for utter stupidity you would have been permanently banned for your first post if that was the case.

and just more proof of what an idiot you are

Eric Williams writer for the news tribune

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2012/08/08/owens-shakes-off-rust-makes-plays/

He struggled at times, but the talent was evident in watching Terrell Owens take the field for the Seattle Seahawks for the first time.

from Jerry Jones

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/cowboys/2006-08-10-owens-parcells_x.htm

Owens, Jones said, fits the mold of a uniquely talented player who, despite being targeted for criticism off the field, works extremely hard and is fiercely competitive in practices and games.

Your crazy if you don't think TO was that talented. He was drafted in the 3rd round as a small school prospect based purely on upside. That was his draft profile - boom or bust raw athlete.

Owens had good, but not great speed. Combine numbers don't exist, but he supposedly ran a 4.4 flat.

His best physical attribute was his physical strength. The guy was an absolute bull. And he could run... not Desean Jackson obviously, but guys his size shouldn't be able to run like he did - not just in a straight line, but he had quick feet and excellent balance to go along with the strength and speed.

Seriously, have you people seen the guy play? Not just in the past few years, but with the 9ers? They used to give him end arounds, and he'd routinely break tackles after the catch and take it to the house. A superb talent. Not in the same league as Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson, but easily an "elite" raw physical talent.

And yes, he was a ridiculously hard worker as well. He maxed out his potential. Got to respect that.

Now TO wasn't that talented? Seriously? He may not have the raw talent of Randy Moss (who is probably the best raw athletic raw talent in NFL history and pretty high on the list for any sport), but he's probably top 4 pure talents all time at the wr position.

For some reason, his combine measurables didn't jump off the page. But he outran and outjumped some absolute physical freak defenders. He could be just about anyone in a foot race in pads. He was a deep threat who could outmuscle a linebacker.

Probably because they didn't record them back then...

He was drafted as a high upside, boom or bust guy. That's all he was coming out of college - raw talent. It's true he wasn't a natural hands catcher and didn't run low 4.3's (though again, most reports have him as a 6'3" 210 pounder running low 4.4's at the combine).

The guy was a dynamic raw talent. I wouldn't say top 4 all time (Calvin and Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, and Charles Rogers come to mind off the top of my head as guys who all had better natural athleticism) but definitely a unique, elite individual talent.

lol i havnt seen any "proof" or "evidence" from you, you are the only one here who seriously thinks TO is not as talented as people make him out to be because you are a dumb arse.

Oh and btw one player who said TO is talentless is utterly meaningless as well. If i cant use people who study football and football talent for a living you cant use the one player who has said TO is not talented

so now all your arguments are voided what are you going to come back with now?

I can hardly wait to get another laugh from another one of your incredibly stupid posts. To bad you do not get banned for utter stupidity you would have been permanently banned for your first post if that was the case.

Players who play against Owens (read: defensive backs) have credibility. Sports writers don't. Any imbecile can be a sports writer. They don't get paid to have a clue what they're talking about, they get paid to write.

The evidence of my claim:

1. Owens has bad hands

2. Owens runs mediocre routes

3. Owens runs in the 4.6-4.7 range

4. Owens leaped only 33 inches coming out

5. Owens's max bench press is 260 pounds

6. Owens was drafted in the late 3rd round, the 12th receiver taken in said draft

7. Numerous scouts and at least one General Manager have said he's not all he's cracked up to be as a football player, noting everything I've said.

8. Numerous defensive backs, including Darrelle Revis and Dwight Smith, came away thoroughly unimpressed after facing him.