BillySims

Why do people consider Terrell Owens so "talented?"

Just got smoked in a race by Chad Johnson of all people. I'll repeat that. Chad Johnson. Chad was a fellow overachiever, yet apparently he's faster than Owens, too. I'm actually surprised by how slow Owens is. I thought he was at least mediocre in that area.

This kind of reminds me of how everyone talks about how Roger Federer is the most talented tennis player ever, when he can't hit a decent top spin backhand to save his life.

Just got smoked in a race by Chad Johnson of all people. I'll repeat that. Chad Johnson. Chad was a fellow overachiever, yet apparently he's faster than Owens, too. I'm actually surprised by how slow Owens is. I thought he was at least mediocre in that area.

This kind of reminds me of how everyone talks about how Roger Federer is the most talented tennis player ever, when he can't hit a decent top spin backhand to save his life.

You're still here?

this whole thread reminds me of how many lead based paint chips you must have eaten from the bottom of the window sill as a toddler.

:lol: Bumping your own thread to remind everyone of your idiocy?

If I have no idea, please explain it to me.

Numbers = / = talent.

Talent is something you are born with that you naturally excel at.

The most talented receivers ever don't typically have to go to division I-AA schools. They don't typically run 4.68 in the 40-yard-dash, leap only 33 inches, do poorly in the cone drill and shuttle as well, and get a "C-" grade from the team that drafted them in hands. They're not typically bench players on their varsity high school football teams (Owens got little playing time in high school, look it up).

I guess Jerry Rice doesn't have talent cause he played 1-AA ball.

If he couldve just kept his f-ing mouth shut, he could have been one of the greatest WR"S of all time. I even mean better then Rice. All the talent in the world but a BIG MOUTH AND EGO TO GO WITH IT. If he could have shut his mouth, we might have a Lombardi trophy by now,if not 2. Ego can take your talent down to nothing, which TO found out the hard way. ( DITTO FOR CHAD JOHNSON).

If he couldve just kept his f-ing mouth shut, he could have been one of the greatest WR"S of all time. I even mean better then Rice. All the talent in the world but a BIG MOUTH AND EGO TO GO WITH IT. If he could have shut his mouth, we might have a Lombardi trophy by now,if not 2. Ego can take your talent down to nothing, which TO found out the hard way. ( DITTO FOR CHAD JOHNSON).

Naw, he had a pretty amazing, and long, career. Maybe someone would've signed him last season if he wasn't a sideshow, but he put HOF worthy numbers despite his ego.

Ever hear of the well publicized fact of Randy Moss being lazy, and only playing when he feels like playing? True story. Look it up

They all have faults. I get the hate that Eagles fans have for the guy, but TO, while in his prime, was a monster. The guy tried, and damn near succeeded, in winning the Birds a SB by himself on a broken leg.

this is why he will never be hated by me. some of the same people who dislike TO like ron jaworski who i will never forgive for throwing a pick on his first superbowl pass and throwing 2 more to the same scrub rod martin. unless i forgot i believe jaworski had zero pins in his leg.

I guess Jerry Rice doesn't have talent cause he played 1-AA ball.

What point are you trying to make?

1. I never said he doesn't have talent. I said he isn't that talented relative to his peers. There have been well over 100 more talented receivers to come into the NFL than Terrell Owens. Yet here he is, second all time in receiving yardage and third in receiving touchdowns. Yet some idiots continue to insist he somehow should have been better, while raving about how "talented" he is. Terrell Owens was the definition of an overachiever. He never gets credit for doing so much with so little natural talent. People always credit Jerry Rice instead, yet Rice was much more naturally gifted than Owens.

2. Jerry Rice went 16th overall in the draft. Owens went 89th. You wanna know why? Because Rice was extraordinary. Was he one of the most talented receivers in NFL history? No. But he was a record setter in college and good enough athletically. Better athletically than Owens. The only thing Owens ever had going for him was he paid the price in the weight room and sculpted a 6 pack. Did you know Owens was 160 pounds coming out of high school?

He certainly didn't succeed because of his 4.63 speed, a 33-inch vertical, poor agility/route running ability, and lousy, inconsistent hands.

Owens should not be second all-time in receiving yards and third in receiving touchdowns, but he is. And people want to say he squandered something. What did he squander, other than his money (like so many athletes)? He was never in a million years going to catch up to Jerry Rice. He was never in a million years going to win a Super Bowl playing with Ken Dorsey or Tim Rattay in San Francisco. He was never in a million years going to win one here with McNabb panting and puking in the huddle. He was never going to win one in Dallas with their mess of a team. Barry Sanders never won one either.

I say, good for Owens. He should be proud of what he has accomplished. It's just too bad he didn't save any of his money.

lion had no courage, tin man had no heart, billysims definitely has no brain.

That's even worse for you. Given how easily I've been demolishing you and others in this thread, you should wish for me to be the most intelligent person in the world. It would make you guys look better.

i sided with T.O i always respected T.O's work ethic, T.O may have been a drama queen but coaches always commented on his no nonsense practice habits and hard he worked in practice in games and in the offseason, where as mcnabb was a drama queen who didnt work that hard, T.O was one of the best condidtioned athletes in the game where as mcnabb would consistently show up to camp fat and out of shape.

Something else to think about. When Owens was on the trade block in 2003, the highest offer the 49ers received was a 2nd round pick from the Ravens. The Eagles wouldn't budge from their offer of James Thrash and a 5th round pick. Nobody else even made an offer.

He was only 30 at the time, in his prime. Yet there was very little market for him. Remember, this was before most of the "incidents" people criticize him for. Could it be that teams didn't think he was as good as the media and fans thought he was?

That's even worse for you. Given how easily I've been demolishing you and others in this thread, you should wish for me to be the most intelligent person in the world. It would make you guys look better.

The world you live in is distorted. You're still trying to save face in a thread from July 2012.....where not 1 person has your back and about 50 people have called you a moron. You can just let it die man, no one will remember you. Let the pain of ineptitude leave you. Let it go. Be free. July 2012. July 2012.

The world you live in is distorted. You're still trying to save face in a thread from July 2012.....where not 1 person has your back and about 50 people have called you a moron. You can just let it die man, no one will remember you. Let the pain of ineptitude leave you. Let it go. Be free. July 2012. July 2012.

Actually, I bring it up just to reinforce my point. The question as to who "won" was over a long time ago when I beat everyone in this thread who tried to take me on with my hand tied behind my back. That's what's so sad about all of this. And you actually think "nobody agrees with you" (argumentum ad populum) is a good argument...you should have learned otherwise just by going through high school, but I guess not. Unless you're still in high school. Please tell me that you are.

Anyway, the point now is to actually convince anyone hanging on the fence of the truth. If Owens had the all-time great talent to match the undeniable production, why wasn't he in higher demand? The Cowboys gave up a higher pick (and more picks) for Roy Williams in 2008 than the Ravens gave up to get Owens.

I'll tell you exactly why that is. It's because a lot of NFL scouts and personnel men thought Owens was a product of the 49ers' system. A West Coast Offense receiver, purely. Great size, but a severe lack of speed and inconsistent hands. They thought he was limited and wouldn't be nearly as successful outside that system.

Of course, he later played in Dallas and proved them all wrong, but it wasn't through talents that scouts just didn't know he had.

Similarly, why do you think Wes Welker had such little interest on the market, despite his enormous production? For the exact same reasons. Scouts think he's a product of a system and limited athletically.

By the way, Owens recently tweeted that he ran a 4.63 at the combine coming out. There is absolutely no way he was faster at 38 and coming off an ACL tear last year running for the Seahawks than he was as a 22-year-old, so that should put to rest the bogus "sub-4.5" 40-yard-dash he supposedly ran. The fact that he didn't even make the team demonstrates as much.

And here's more - in 2006, Owens was voted the most overrated player in football by...other players.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/15491122/

Something else to think about. When Owens was on the trade block in 2003, the highest offer the 49ers received was a 2nd round pick from the Ravens. The Eagles wouldn't budge from their offer of James Thrash and a 5th round pick. Nobody else even made an offer.

He was only 30 at the time, in his prime. Yet there was very little market for him. Remember, this was before most of the "incidents" people criticize him for. Could it be that teams didn't think he was as good as the media and fans thought he was?

You're forgetting the whole issue with him voiding his final year on his contract and trying to become a free agent. Owens' agent screwed up and missed the deadline to void the rest of the contract. Owens faught this so he could become a free agent. While that was happening, the 49ers tried to trade him quickly, making the trade with the Ravens. Owens also was agreeing to a contract with the Eagles. The NFLPA filed a grivence and it was decided (by and abitrator) that he'll be traded to the Eagles from the 49ers in exchange for Brandon Whiting, while the Ravens received a 5th round pick.

Owens did bash Garcia prior to all of this happening and did make it aware that he didn't want to play in SF anymore.

:lol: This guy just doesn't stop. I'm not even sure if he knows exactly what he's arguing at this point.

You're forgetting the whole issue with him voiding his final year on his contract and trying to become a free agent. Owens' agent screwed up and missed the deadline to void the rest of the contract. Owens faught this so he could become a free agent. While that was happening, the 49ers tried to trade him quickly, making the trade with the Ravens. Owens also was agreeing to a contract with the Eagles. The NFLPA filed a grivence and it was decided (by and abitrator) that he'll be traded to the Eagles from the 49ers in exchange for Brandon Whiting, while the Ravens received a 5th round pick.

Owens did bash Garcia prior to all of this happening and did make it aware that he didn't want to play in SF anymore.

No, dude, that wasn't it. The Niners only got Brandon Whiting in return because TO wasn't "talented."

No-bo-dy e-ver said a-ny-thing a-bout teams not want-ing him.

How in the world is this so hard for you people to follow? Owens was a great player. He was not a great talent in relation to other NFL wide receivers. He compensated for a lack of natural talent with hard work and determination on the field.

This thread is about talent, not about performance.

Very simple, people create a conclusion to support their argument, regardless of the actual topic ;)

That's a perfect example. He was nowhere near 100% in that game, but he still found a way to produce. That shows you how much determination he had.

And that's the point of my thread. For some reason, people always talk about Jerry Rice as the consummate hard worker, as if he was some sort of huge overachiever. Yet Rice was the 16th player taken in the draft. Owens was the 89th. Rice was expected to be a star. Owens wasn't. The 49ers were actually criticized for the pick on draft day.

This diva image Owens has is nothing more than a put on. Owens knows how hard he has always had to work to do things other receivers take for granted. As much as he loves imitating cocky athletes, there's no way he actually believes he's like them, deep down. But people expect him to be a certain way, hence the self-fulfilling prophecy.

Regardless, my main point of contention is with people claiming he somehow squandered his "incredible talent," or "could have been the greatest ever." Randy Moss did that. Owens did the opposite.

1. How can you say he wasn't a Diva? Owens, without doubt, suffers from a narcissistic personality disorder.

"Narcissism is a psychiatric diagnosis characterized by an exaggerated sense of self-importance and uniqueness, an abnormal need for attention and admiration, preoccupation with grandiose fantasies concerning the self, and disturbances in interpersonal relationships, usually involving the exploitation of others and a lack of empathy."

2. You argue he didn't 'squander' any opportunities?

Well, I would submit he squandered his only opportunity of winning a SB with his pathological behavior in his second year with the Eagles.

So an 'under achieving' McNabb or not.... those two guys had something special that was working!!!

MEO F'n squandered the sheet out of that opportunity.