Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Is Time Right For Move To 3-4 D?

>>BG93: well, I am hoping the Brownies win the Chip Kelly sweepstakes. Banner did a great job for Lurie--and was always ready to wield the hatchet and get his hands dirty--so the big boss could stay above the fray. Not privy to the split between Banner-Lurie...or whether it was even caused by AR as many have said. I think it was more a financial move due to the divorce. Banner-Lurie rivalry/friendship will bring an interesting dimension to any future dealings. Banner wasted no time in axing old Eagles brethren from the Brownies.

>>BG93: Were I Mike McCoy looking at teams, personnel and markets...I think the situation in Chicago is most appealing. The Bears are an offense that was starting to flourish with Mike Martz,but quickly got lost without him. What is missing in Chicago? Mike McCoy. Anyhow, that's my short & sweet analysis.

Eagles have new GM that many people just dislike. Sorry. Howie isn't "respected" so much as avoided. He is Lurie's hatchet man, just as Joe Banner was in past seasons. You will recall that Banner-Lurie went through a phase of recruiting when players wouldn't touch them..except to use Eagles as a bargaining chip to escalate an offer from a team that they wanted to hire them. Thats what I mean by Eagles are at square 2.

Banner has YEARS of experience with all the NFL agents. They know Uncle Joe...and have worked with his quirks in the past. They have experience with him. Kelly's agent will push a KNOWN in Banner with a new owner eager to make an impression ( Haslam).

Ya Jwood, my fear is Roseman and Laurie Meet with Chip and they Buy into his fast tempo offense and think it's the answer to all our problems. Remember how Howie bought into Washburn and the wide 9.

we need to figure out who were gunna draft rd 1 now because now that andy is with the chiefs he has joeckle locked up..... we could always sign jake long in FA though

>>DDD: Can't wait to see who Reid hires as his staff...especially OC-DC, OL and ST. Should be really interesting.

Lurie needs to make his move--or he'll settle for leftovers.

Congrats to Andy Reid! They have some talent. Expectations are reasonable there. Good match and he should do well. The early theme of this offseason coaching carousel is I'm flying all the way across the country ... with a few stops along the way.

So Pace you don't think he was taking the job with Geno pretty much the choice? I think AR saw that he could almost compete with a third rounder who was probably a reach at that. Sure he could try and make Cassel work. He might be able to. Getting that franchise QB is so crucial though. He either takes Geno or trades back. Thats my opinion. And I really don't think he is trading back.

>>mike: Lurie seems content to allow a talented, but rough around the edges employee to work and learn. If he is right about Roseman--he'll have another Joe Banner consigliere around for many years. Or, he'll let Roseman steer the team off a cliff.

Chip Kelly will be very very expensive innovation if the Birds hire him. Lurie is not risk adverse--he hired Michael Vick out of prison...with encouragement of Tony Dungy and Andy Reid. Vick brought publicity and attention to the Eagles despite average results. Lurie went out of his way to hire a very under-qualified AR as HC ( he'd been QB coach and OL coach...not even a ST coach much less OC or DC). I think Lurie believes that Reid was a great hire....by the standard of 14 seasons--OK--great hire. And, once he was seasoned in the NFL AR did deliver "peak seasons" with playoffs and superbowl appearance. BUT--overall--I think Eagles would have been ahead with 2-3 individual HC changes...like maybe Sean Payton or Harbaugh...

just sayin' Loopy Lurie will do the unlikely.

BG93: I am OK with C-ham's opinions and loyalties. I feel like I have endured 14 seasons of a HC whose football philosophy I disliked. If C-Ham isn't happy with Foles...it may never change. OR, next season he may change his board name to Foles_9...one ever knows.

I don't think that is a very fair assesment of AR. He pretty well dominated and then is partner JJ passed away. They were right at the precipice ready to stand at the top. AR had many tradgedies take place in his life. These last few years have been extreme. A fresh start for him was needed.

BleedingGreen93, the problem with Geno vs the rest is that he has never run a traditional offense such as the West Coast, and was average at best running the Spread. Just don't see him panning out with any team that runs an NFL offense. That's the difference and a big one.

Whole9...I agree with you that Geno shouldn't go that high I don't think he will pan out but me and you aren't making the call and NFl scout and experts all seem to be high on this kid. Most still have him as the top rated QB and unless he completely bombs his combine/pro day I don't see him falling out of the 1st round. Maybe not 1st overall pick but he will be a first rounder

>>C-ham: AR had a couple of peak seasons. He had excellent assistants in Chilly and Johnson. Used to be the NFL teams pirated away AR's assistants. Any takers for Mornhinweg or Castillo? I rest my case.

I will say this I see Geno going in the top 10 in the draft if AR doesn't take him with the #1 pick I see a team like the Bills,Cards maybe if Browns depending on who there coach is trying to get him

That could play into Philly favor AR not drafting him teams will want to trade up we could probably make a deal with a team and secure more picks

It is true I've never been that high on Foles. I felt like I gave him a shot. I wanted to be convinced that he was better than I believed from the draft time. I just haven't seen anything to convince me. During the draft there was the obvious two studs going 1 2. Then you had Tannehill and Weeden as second rounders. Then you had Russel Wilson as a third rounder whom I liked. You also had Cousins who I liked. Foles they reached for because Wilson was surprisingly taken by Seattle. That's my take on it. They took Curry whom I like very much. He hardly even dressed. I think Seattle took him because he was just too good to pass up. The Redskins pulled the trigger on Cousins because he was too good to pass up. As far as I'm concerned if you can get a good backup QB in the third that works for me and I believe he can take a big step up to do that.

The company that bought Hostess is looking for people to install Twinkie filling. I figure since the contents of a Twinkie and MM's cranium are basically the same, he would be a good fit for the position.