Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Is Time Right For Move To 3-4 D?

Eagles gave up 444 points. 30th in the league. Any changes made scheme or player wise... it's hard to argue. Wow! 27.75 points per game vs a tied for 16th strength of schedule! FAR from a solid D! I doubt we see it, but the change to 3-4 signifies FOR SURE that the new coaches realize the D is bad, very bad and they are opting for a makeover!

Joe Mas... yes, we gave up 444 points... tied with Jax Jaguars, which says it all...and only the Saints and Titans gave up more...but much of that damage was due to our turnovers on offense...

We had a minus -24 turnover ratio to the rest of our opponents--

That can be fixed. The numbers will improve dramatically when it is fixed.

not sure what's more annoying --- hearing that McNabb is commenting on ANYTHING or the post arguing with Spuds about the defense.... it's a close call. Hmm, the winner are the people who actually think Spuds 1) has a clue about a defense and 2) thinks Spuds actaully has a SAY in the DEFENSE.

Breaking news: Spuds is write who is throwing out some ideas and THATS IT...

Changing to a 4-3 defense? Are you kidding me? We would need the next 3 drafts to get close to the right type of players. We cannot even play a 3-4 properly and we've been playing it for year. One baby step at a time, Hire the right coach and coordinators. PLEASE get rid of MM.

a 3-4 defense is one that allows for blitz packages, and better ways of hiding or faking a blitz and different all around schemes. It lets us have DB's in the fild when we need to OLB relaced by cover safeties, or LBS to pass rush. Not brandon graham sized LB's but long lanky dudes like aldon smith. We had no shot drafting aldon smith a few years ago because he didnt fit with the scheme. Find me any player whom can get us a sack and hell yeah we should look to draft him. 3-4 > 4-3

I think if we can get McCoy, we nab him. We won't pay out Chip Kelly's contract with our historic cheapness, and furthermore, I don't think Chip Kelly is the answer. Just more gimmicks in a system that likely won't work in the NFL. McCoy makes the most sense to me at this point among who's been listed as possibles.

The real issue I see here is Bowles& MM. We need to replace both to succeed. It's obvious neither side of the ball bought into these dudes. I'm OK with April sticking around on ST.

>>joemas: Your opinions are interesting. I was underwhelmed by the selection of AR way back when. I think he held the Eagles back more than he advanced the team. There i a load of MYTH about AR..very little truth. Based upon my own observations--AR once did great job identifying coaching acumen and mentoring Jr. Staff Coaches. He relied upon his Sr. Assistants Childress and Johnson to be the leader of their units and have them disciplined and prepared. Usually, the ST unit was fuzzy excepting a couple of seasons ( Harbaugh). HIs pass-aholic offense gave McNabb cheap stats as a QB--Childress worked with what he was given ( Steve McNair clone). Brain Westbrook and Correl Buckhalter were the guts of the offense--not McNabb. Lets credit Reid for many many great selections of staff who in turn made good players better & better.

I do not want another Andy Reid-sideline zombie. Pass-aholic offense. Square Peg in Round Hole-unadaptive blindman. No more finesse smurf teams that get beat to heck by the 2nd half.

This is football not ballet. AR's offense was great for a couple of seasons with Westy & McNabb. Otherwise it sputtered. His best game was schemed by Rod Dowhower--pickle juice against the Cowboys.

His team usually LOST to underdogs.

Glad he is gone.

It's all going to depend on the HC and the DC and if they are good coaches they will make whatever D they want to install...Whether that is keeping hte 4-3 or changing to the 3-4 successful.

Darksnake...I just want some size on this DL we get bullied up front when playing teams, OL get past are Dl and get to the second level of the D far to easy. if are DL can't get the job done upfront it doesn't matter who are LBs are they are going to look bad and we are going to struggle against the run.

Star would add that but I'd be fine with Kewaan Short as well maybe add a big FA DT as well or we can get Dixon play like his old self again would be nice

>>Jhop: Everything is negotiable with the contracts, coaches, and Universities. That's where I will give ample credit to Howie Roseman. No denying it will cost some money to buy-out a contract. A guy like Lurie can always "donate" something to a University...lots of angles for Roseman. I think O'Brien tests the water this season but stays at PSU. Chip Kelly might jump.

Eagles would be better off with an NFL experienced HC teamed with Roseman. Besides a HC, team needs a stout DC and capable OC. Quite a few proven guys available. Hoping for a wise DC, not another McDermott or Castillo

lol AR signed with KC we going to face him next yr sometime that is going to be an interesting game

yes...we play them...and AR has the #1 pick.

o'brien is already staying at PSU wood...according to the report on here. I'm hoping we cheap out on a guy like kelly....regardless of our ability to negotiate a "deal".

This whole thing boils down to Lurie and Roseman either wanting to either go with "smoke and mirrors" ala Chip Kelly and the vision of the "new" style of NFL play (RGIII/Newton/Tebow)...and I damn sure hope they do NOT btw...or they go with something else, but I believe it will be an offensive minded coach. So that's where I think we really give McCoy a shot.

But if Lurie and Roseman get desperate and are blinded by some bogus kelly style offense, thinking they can re-invent the NFL wheel, we are in deep trouble

wood...if we bring in Chocolate the Hut, we are officially digging our own grave

Jhop...this is going to be a battle for Kelly Banner vs Lurie/howie. Since Philly and Cleveland are the 2 frontrunners for him. Cleveland might be more appealing though since they already have a pretty decent D in place Kelly can just focus on the O side of the ball

Woody....Yes rommeo crennel is a good DC he did a good job with KC D when he held the DC job and was a great DC for NE. Just not a good HC

Jhop: Lurie loves smoke and mirrors. He admits he is in the sports ENTERTAINMENT business. Is there another team in the league that concocts terms like " gold standard" for themselves? I supposed if thing had worked out differently...they would have quickly claimed Vince Young's "dream team".

Only mentioned Crennel as DC..he was considered an elite DL coach. effective DC. Not so much as HC ( compare to LeBeau in Pittsburgh?)

Whole9....i agree he isn't that good but he won't drop...teams reach like crazy for Qbs look at tannehill and Weeden they were both 2nd round QB at best both went in the 1st. Blaine gabbert,Ponder,Locker all went in the 1st.

>>BG93: Either Smith or Crennel are old school, hardworking, no nonsense NFL DCs. Guys like DRC and Asomugha need to feel the effects of their sloppy play. Reid's Eagles were SOFT & SLOPPY and didn't care to change for Andy, Juan or Todd. Some players need electro-shock therapy...

Whole9....i agree he isn't that good but he won't drop...teams reach like crazy for Qbs look at tannehill and Weeden they were both 2nd round QB at best both went in the 1st. Blaine gabbert,Ponder,Locker all went in the 1st.

haha...Matt Lienert...