Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNOORDA

Aaron Hernandez - Found guilty of First Degree Murder (UPDATE: committed suicide)

Here's a twist: Since Hernandez died before he exhausted his appeals, the court vacates his charges, he's innocent, and the Patriots may have to pay his family the rest of his contract.

"And that’s the question that’s starting to be raised with respect to the bonus provisions in his contract and his NFL pension,” lawyer Michael Coyne told CSNNE’s "Toucher and Rich” Wednesday. "If these convictions are ultimately vacated — both his conviction with Odin Lloyd and his conviction on the gun charge — because of his failure to appeal, will his estate, will his child and his wife be able to recover either some of the bonus that’s still due to him under the Patriots contract or any of his pension benefits that the NFL might owe him?”

In June 2013, the Patriots withheld $3.25 million of Hernandez’s signing bonus. They also refused to pay him his $2.5 million in his guaranteed base salary. New England cited the collective bargaining agreement as their reason for withholding that guaranteed money. That’s the money Hernandez’s lawyers will likely pursue.

Coyne added: "The question is then: If he’s no longer criminally liable, has he violated the provisions of any of his contractual terms? And you know, where there’s money like this involved, the lawyers will have a field day.”

In other words, the legal loophole could result in some income, paid by the Patriots and the NFL, for Hernandez’s family. And lawyers will explore how much money, if any, they can recoup for their client’s family by scrutinizing his contract with the Patriots.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

Here's a twist: Since Hernandez died before he exhausted his appeals, the court vacates his charges, he's innocent, and the Patriots may have to pay his family the rest of his contract.

You can bet that Odin Lloyd's family will be looking to receive all of that money in a civil case that I'm sure they'll file, if one hasn't already been filed.

15 minutes ago, Captain F said:

This countries judicial system is so effing broken its ridiculous. 

It's not the countries judicial system, it's that particular state. Each state has its own system.

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's not the countries judicial system, it's that particular state. Each state has its own system.

Can you name 1 that isnt broken? lol 

4 minutes ago, Captain F said:

Can you name 1 that isnt broken? lol 

I don't know all the intricacies of each state, and no system is perfect, that's for sure but there are states that seem to at least go in the right direction. Florida, Texas and Virginia are a few that come to mind. I'm sure there's others, but it's just not one of those things I particularly follow closely.

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

You can bet that Odin Lloyd's family will be looking to receive all of that money in a civil case that I'm sure they'll file, if one hasn't already been filed.

It has, but that stupid law complicates the civil suit. Since he is an "innocent man" they cant use his conviction in the civil suit and basically have to reprove the murder to a new jury, plus whatever the defense team can do to complicate it more.

Maybe aliens did it . . . aliens who hate the Pats.

Yeah, that's the ticket . . .

1 hour ago, McNabbIsGone said:

Maybe aliens did it . . . aliens who hate the Pats.

Yeah, that's the ticket . . .

Saw this in today's news:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4430464/Three-notes-Bible-Aaron-Hernandez-cell.html

It says he left three suicide notes and began giving away his possessions a few weeks ago.

And that he soaped up the floor of his cell in case he lost his nerve.

Sure do sound like a suicide to me.

wow, so now he had a gay lover? I thought society argued people were born gay, now I guess it's just a matter of convenience. 

38 minutes ago, Silentop said:

I thought society argued people were born gay ...

If that's the case, couldn't it be detected before birth and an abortion performed?

12 hours ago, leanmeangreenmachine said:

It has, but that stupid law complicates the civil suit. Since he is an "innocent man" they cant use his conviction in the civil suit and basically have to reprove the murder to a new jury, plus whatever the defense team can do to complicate it more.

Civil suits are much easier to prove though as the standard of proof changes from Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (90%+) to More Likely Than Not (51%).

1 hour ago, Silentop said:

wow, so now he had a gay lover? I thought society argued people were born gay, now I guess it's just a matter of convenience. 

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If that's the case, couldn't it be detected before birth and an abortion performed?

Too much ignorance,

21 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Caught another fish... :lol: 

Perhaps you should use the fishing smiley  :fishing:   when you're being facetious?

I tend to take people at face-value . . . and until your response I was gonna say something like: 'That's  COLD,  man.'  

Sarcasm and intended facetiousness are not necessarily obvious in this environment.

Just a few random thoughts on this obviously-nothing-happening-in-our-NFL-lives day. 

18 minutes ago, McNabbIsGone said:

Perhaps you should use the fishing smiley  :fishing:   when you're being facetious?

If you do that, you scare the fish away.

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If you do that, you scare the fish away.

AH!  Gotcha!  <g>

There's a story trending on Yahoo right now about him leaving 3 notes...one to his fiance, one to his daughter and one to his prison lover who is currently distraught and is on suicide watch himself.

13 hours ago, cowboy_ron said:

There's a story trending on Yahoo right now about him leaving 3 notes...one to his fiance, one to his daughter and one to his prison lover who is currently distraught and is on suicide watch himself.

Yeah. I also saw somewhere now they think he might have killed Odin Lloyd to cover up him being bisexual.

First, let me preface this by saying suicide is NOT funny. Period.

However. The thought of someone sloshing around on a soapy floor, in prison slippers, with a sheet around thier neck is pretty Farrelly Brothers funny.

4 hours ago, boogyman said:

Yeah. I also saw somewhere now they think he might have killed Odin Lloyd to cover up him being bisexual.

Terrible reason to kill someone when he had millions of dollars playing in NFL.