Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lloyd

Goodell considers expanding NFL playoffs

Let's look at what it really is. Right now you have 2 teams in each Conference have byes. Why does the 2nd seat get a bye. 2 more teams makes it to where only the top #1 seed gets a bye. It's only 2 more games. That means that you have 1 more Saturday of Playoff Football. Personally I like this. And, why stop there. Let's take 2 of those meaningless preseason games and make them Regular season games. You keep the Hall of Fame game. Rotate it between all 16 teams in each Conference. That way only 2 teams play 3 preseason games a year. And those 2 extra regular season games. I'll use the Eagles as an example. You play your 6 Division games. You play 1 division from the AFC every year. That's 4 games. Then you play 1 division from the NFC every year. That's 4 more games. Then you still play the other 2 in Conference games. That is 16. Then you play your closest out of Conference rival every year. That leaves 1 extra game. All teams play 1 game either over seas, or in a neutral site. That is 18 games. Here is how I would do this. In years that the Eagles don't play the AFC North. The natural AFC Rival for the Eagles in the Steelers. You play them the 3 years that you don't play the AFC North. Other game. You pick another AFC team that is close. For the Eagles that would be the Jets. Same thing. And the years that you play either the AFC East, or AFC North. The Eagles would play San Diego, or maybe Indianapolis.

You still have 2 preseason games for every team, and the NFL still gets it's complete Hall of Fame weekend.

Neutral sites would be large 75,000+ seat stadiums that are in places that the NFL would never expand into. Like Birmingham Alabama, San Antonio Texas, Pasadena California, Portland Oregon, Columbus Ohio, Salt Lake City Utah just to name a few places that they could do this that would work.

New York could handle another team in the Meadowlands.

Los Angeles can get a team to play in the Rose Bowl.

You got that from (I think) Australian Rules Football, where they actually DID have the Grand Final a couple of years ago end in a tie and had to replay it the following week.

Could you imagine what would happen if at the end of regulation the Super Bowl was a tie, and instead of overtime, it was announced the game would be replayed the following Sunday? I'm sure the network with the Super Bowl rights would be jumping through the roof, although there would certainly be accusations of the game being fixed so it ended in a tie so they could get more money from a second game the next week.

Actually, what I like better would be to have the Conference championships become a two-leg, aggregate score playoff. Game 1 would be at the lower-seeded team and even if the game ends in a tie, there is no overtime because it's only the first leg. Game 2 would be at the higher-seeded team. If at the end of the second game the total aggregate score is tied, then you would have overtime, but unlike in any other round of the playoffs, play continues until each team has had THREE possessions and one team is ahead OR if one team is up by two scores (at least nine points) after two possessions by each team. This would make it so that teams can't just get up by a field goal on the first possession and win the game by stopping the other team on one possession. The clock would only be to change ends in such overtimes, which would be 20 minute periods instead of the usual 15. If in such a scenario after 40 minutes the game is still tied, then there is a halftime like in a regular game and each team gets at least one possession in the third OT.

I would do it based that they need to consider this option:

1) No more bye week. Eliminate Thursday night football altogether. I'll get to that later.

2) Move the Pro Bowl in the middle of the season: That way, all players voted in will be mandated to play. No more getting out of the game because of the Super Bowl apperance. All players and alternates are to attend.

All 32 teams will get 2 bye weeks: before and after the Pro Bowl. Move the pro bowl around the country every year just like the Super Bowl, but to places where the possibilities of a new NFL expansion team could be placed either through movement of a present team or commissioning a new one altogether. That way, the NFL can survey who can and will go to the event that doesn't have an NFL franchise and make determinations for cities to apply for one when the time comes.

3) Move the Super Bowl once every 4 years to Hawaii to compensate for losing the Pro Bowl location. Include either the renovation of the present stadium or build of a new one, possibly a dome with retractable roof.

4). No more bye week before playoffs for all seeds including the bye week before the Super Bowl.

Thoughts?

You got that from (I think) Australian Rules Football, where they actually DID have the Grand Final a couple of years ago end in a tie and had to replay it the following week.

Could you imagine what would happen if at the end of regulation the Super Bowl was a tie, and instead of overtime, it was announced the game would be replayed the following Sunday? I'm sure the network with the Super Bowl rights would be jumping through the roof, although there would certainly be accusations of the game being fixed so it ended in a tie so they could get more money from a second game the next week.

Actually, what I like better would be to have the Conference championships become a two-leg, aggregate score playoff. Game 1 would be at the lower-seeded team and even if the game ends in a tie, there is no overtime because it's only the first leg. Game 2 would be at the higher-seeded team. If at the end of the second game the total aggregate score is tied, then you would have overtime, but unlike in any other round of the playoffs, play continues until each team has had THREE possessions and one team is ahead OR if one team is up by two scores (at least nine points) after two possessions by each team. This would make it so that teams can't just get up by a field goal on the first possession and win the game by stopping the other team on one possession. The clock would only be to change ends in such overtimes, which would be 20 minute periods instead of the usual 15. If in such a scenario after 40 minutes the game is still tied, then there is a halftime like in a regular game and each team gets at least one possession in the third OT.

Yes and I did watch the Grand Final that ended in a tie and the next week on the replay. You have no idea how exciting that was to watch and then fall off my couch when they said the game would be replayed the next week.

People wanted overtime but the week between games meant so much in terms of press and how the teams approach the game. Do you change strategies? Where? How? Do you know how meticulous the film breakdown must have been and how intense the meetings were during the week?

Yeah, I love that scenario.

We made this change after the first half and now we need to adjust to this to counter the adjustment for next week.

What if they made the playoffs into best of 5 series; however, if any game ended in a tie, it wouldn't count and they would replay the game. If the second match ended in a tie, then the two kickers would have a "kick out" in which both kickers kicked from 50 yards out until one of them missed. Then the Super Bowl could be a best of 7 series, with the games played in 7 different venues within the same region! To counter the added injuries, rosters could be expanded to 300 per team, with each team absorbing two CFL rosters, two arena league rosters and 50 extra rookie free agents. To accommodate the loss of the CFL, the regular season could expand to 17 games with each team playing one neutral game in a Canadian stadium. These games would be played with Canadian rules and would only count for a team's record in the case of a tie breaker. What do you guys think?

What if they made the playoffs into best of 5 series; however, if any game ended in a tie, it wouldn't count and they would replay the game. If the second match ended in a tie, then the two kickers would have a "kick out" in which both kickers kicked from 50 yards out until one of them missed. Then the Super Bowl could be a best of 7 series, with the games played in 7 different venues within the same region! To counter the added injuries, rosters could be expanded to 300 per team, with each team absorbing two CFL rosters, two arena league rosters and 50 extra rookie free agents. To accommodate the loss of the CFL, the regular season could expand to 17 games with each team playing one neutral game in a Canadian stadium. These games would be played with Canadian rules and would only count for a team's record in the case of a tie breaker. What do you guys think?

Can't believe it took this long for someone to come up with a solution that makes sense.

I think Baseketball already showed us how to deal with this issue...

he doesn't work for the fans. He is, essentially, the CEO of the NFL and he works for the owners.

He basically takes all the flak for carrying out the owners' bidding and, in return, he is well

compensated and they get to avoid the bad press associated with unpopular decisions.

I'm sure the player's union 'gets' all of that.

From what I've read the players don't want to increase the number of games

or the number of teams because it increases their chance of injury. They figure

their risk of injury is high enough and I can't say I blame them.

I think most sensible people might reasonably wonder: how much $$ is enough??

The NFL commissioner makes in excess of $25 mil.

The owners are fabulously wealthy and many of the players are as well.

How many more injuries does the NFL reasonably put upon their work force while

trying to generate ever more $$ ?

Lets just have an entire season twice to find the champion

Finally a commish who gets what the Real Fans wants. Like an 18 game season, more thursday night games, a team in London, and an expanded playoffs.

Roger Goodell... he speaks for the Fans!

There is such a thing as scarcity of resources, they should eliminate at least two games of the year's schedule and knock off a few preseason games anything else would be human abuse. The players are falling apart as it is. There's wisdom in hedonism, limit the pleasure and appreciate more of it when it actually comes your way. Eliminate some games and you'll see better quality play too. The owners are short-sighted greedy fools, as they're killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

I agree 100% about this. My criticism is how he plays all this off like he is the People's Champ. He constantly preaches about how these are things the Fans want. The fans want more playoff teams, the fans want a longer schedule. I don't care if he wants to go out there and say we want to go this way as a league - we think it'll improve the game. Whatever, I disagree but he's serving the owners and I can understand that. But don't pat yourself on the back like your doing some service to the fans as if we want this garbage.

this goodell is a tool, he's all about lining his and the owners pockets while he claims to be doing so in the name of the fans.

i hate thursday football, i think having a longer schedule is ridiculous, though i wouldnt mind seeing two extra playoff teams, seems odd that a team wins 10 games and doesnt make the playoffs. maybe they can shorten the preseason to 2 games to make up the difference, or get rid of the pro bowl game all together.

i hate thursday football

So do I. The matchups are usually lousy and the games are usually lousy.

If the Eags are on I'll watch, of course. I'm sure the sportsbars leave the game on but me?

I'd rather watch History Channel or something worthwhile.

i think having a longer schedule is ridiculous,

though i wouldnt mind seeing two extra playoff teams,

I wouldn't add any more playoff teams. It'd be getting too much like hockey

where the reg. season doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is who gets

'HOT' in the playoffs because almost everyone makes the playoffs.

seems odd that a team wins 10 games and doesn't make the playoffs.

Agree. The idea is to have a winner in each division. But what if the division winner goes

7 - 9 or 8 - 8 yet a team with a 10 - 6 record is eliminated b/c of how it shakes out that

particular year? Not fair and I know it's happened several times. Our Eagles went 10 - 6

in 1991 and didn't make the playoffs.

The teams with the best records should make the playoffs and to hell with the div. winners.

It's a meaningless title anyways. The best teams make the playoffs and you'd have winners

for one or two Wildcard rounds. Then you could have one or two Conf. rounds, one to set up the

Conf. Championship and then the Championship.

maybe they can shorten the preseason to 2 games to make up the difference

or get rid of the pro bowl game all together.

I think the preseason games are necessary in order for the teams to know exactly where

their teams are at. Four games seems excessive to me. Two is prolly not enough. So maybe

have 1 team scrimmage against itself and then 3 preseason games? And yeah, to hell with

the Pro Bowl. It's a meaningless throwaway game no matter what.

2 more teams means just 2 more games on Wild Card Weekend. Why does the #2 team need a bye week any way? Why are they anymore special than the #3 team? This actually is the 1st thing that the current commish has done that I am totally in agreement. All he is wanting to do is let 1 more team per conference in. And, play 1 more game per conference. That is just 2 more games.

Then here is how we fix the Pro Bowl. Do away with the game. Have skills competitions. Like they used to do. Move the thing back to after the Super Bowl. Then make it 100% required for all players voted in to it. For Quarterbacks have them throw balls. Most completions in a row wins. Wide Receivers, and Tight Ends have them in pass catching in mud, or something like that. Running Backs do a 100 yard run thru an maze, or something. Linemen do weight lifting, and Linebackers do a combination of both. Secondary guys also do the 100 yard dash. Also make them do all running events in full football gear. Kickers kick field goals most in a row wins

Punters longest punt wins.

See, I just figured out a way to make the Pro Bowl weekend interesting, and kinda fun to watch.

http://www.nfl.com/n...anding-playoffs

So he wants a league where nearly half of the 32 teams can make the playoffs every year?

Seriously. What is this guy's game? Every idea out of this guy's mouth is blatantly based around increasing profits rather than increasing the quality of the game.

I got into football in the mid 90's, so some of you older guys gotta tell me - was Tabliabue this bad?

I don't think Goodell has been as bad a some say but on this issue I agree with you. No way we should expand the playoffs, 12 of 32 getting in is fine.

Honestly, I wish Goodell would stop changing **** just to change ****. The current system has worked for the NFL, why change and water down the playoff picture? Classic case of a greed ruining a good thing. If your team couldn't hack it to get into the playoffs in the current format then they have no business making it into the playoffs in the first place.

2 more teams means just 2 more games on Wild Card Weekend. Why does the #2 team need a bye week any way? Why are they anymore special than the #3 team? This actually is the 1st thing that the current commish has done that I am totally in agreement. All he is wanting to do is let 1 more team per conference in. And, play 1 more game per conference. That is just 2 more games.

Then here is how we fix the Pro Bowl. Do away with the game. Have skills competitions. Like they used to do. Move the thing back to after the Super Bowl. Then make it 100% required for all players voted in to it. For Quarterbacks have them throw balls. Most completions in a row wins. Wide Receivers, and Tight Ends have them in pass catching in mud, or something like that. Running Backs do a 100 yard run thru an maze, or something. Linemen do weight lifting, and Linebackers do a combination of both. Secondary guys also do the 100 yard dash. Also make them do all running events in full football gear. Kickers kick field goals most in a row wins

See, I just figured out a way to make the Pro Bowl weekend interesting, and kinda fun to watch.

yeah i miss the skills competition, bring back the QB challenge along with the fastest man competition, they used to have weight lifting competitions as well, what happened to those, maybe play a flag football game instead, the current set up of the pro bowl is just so lame its unbearable to watch.

yeah i miss the skills competition, bring back the QB challenge along with the fastest man competition, they used to have weight lifting competitions as well, what happened to those, maybe play a flag football game instead, the current set up of the pro bowl is just so lame its unbearable to watch.

I would tune in for that.

Great idea. Wish I had thought of that. Oh wait I did.

Instead of adding more teams to the playoffs they should simply remove wild card teams. If you can't win you're division then you have no right to progress.

Instead of adding more teams to the playoffs they should simply remove wild card teams. If you can't win you're division then you have no right to progress.

That works also. But, if you gonna have wild cards. Let's have 3 per conference. Instead of 2. It only means that we play 2 more wild card games. Not understanding why this ain't a good idea. We get rid of 2 Pre-season weeks. And get 2 more Wild Card games. I don't see any bad thing here.

That's stupid. This year the best two teams in the league were in the same division.