Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Eagles Release WR DeSean Jackson

@PCJoeyD - I understand your concerns. It is not Jackson's fault that he is only 5ft 9in and only weighs 175. I am basing my opinion of him not being able to lead us to a Super Bowl by his playoff stats and them alone. Not any of the other stuff that is flying around. I believe you need more out of your #1 receiver than 19 receptions and 2 touchdowns in 6 playoff games to get you to a Super Bowl and I have been waiting since 1965 for that to happen.

The Philadelphia Eagles owe season ticket holders and fans more of an explanation than this for releasing their best wide receiver!!!!

PCJoeyD...couldn't agree with you more. If we do look to the draft now, we will have released a ton of talent for a guy with lot of potential. Bad move is the word for it alright.

BTW if reports are correct, Kelly already has a crush on Cooks.

@dfazzo - You can blame attorneys and law suits for not having a better explanation. If the reason for getting rid of Jackson was more than being toxic in the lockerroom and not getting along with Chip, we will probably never know officially.

@ 1wrangler... I believe it's the coach's responsibility to put his players in the right situations to succeed. He's a WR, not a QB. But your comment is warranted...he has not had great playoff #'s ....but I liked that nice grab to put our Eagles over the top in that nfc championship game over the ariz cardinals.....oh, that's right we lost that game because of our defense.

anyways, the point is,,,,for a WR of that caliber, we should have gotten some good compensation back for him...

all of a sudden, all of the NFL teams are good doers......for YEARS, the NFL and the team's GM's have looked past off the field activity and drafted for production (most of the teams anyways). Now, even if you're associated with a gang member, you obviously can;t play in the NFL anymore.

@ dfazzo - I agree... I want a good explanation as to why this happened. I love how philaeagles.com doesn'e mention anything as to why this happened.... there's almost no mention at all on this website of his release....only about how "new team leaders are emerging"...GIVE ME A BREAK! total BS!!

DJax is a one trick pony - a burner. The best WR ever - Jerry Rice - only ran a 4.67. A lot of you are sounding like we're starting the season with this team as is when there's a long way to go - trades, draft, bulking up the roster with good players that fit Chips' system and the locker room. Funny, seems not long ago people were complaining about DJaxs' lack of size, inability to block and his attitude. His speed will be hard to replace, but that's not necessarily what makes a great WR. By gameday I hope to see two tall WR's with good verticals that can actually run routes, get open, jump for the ball and get some YAC. Imagine having some 6'5" guys in the back of the end zone.

I don;t know....maybe it's just me......cutting a 4 time pro bowl receiver in his prime and getting absolutely nothing in return, because he doesn;t fit the coach's mental makeup just does';t sit well with me.

@PCJoeyD - I understand what you are talking about as far as a coaches responsiblility. I was a Supervisor at a power plant for 33 years before I retired. I always felt like it was my responsibility to put my employees in the best position to succeed and I had a lot of success in doing that however there were a couple of employees through the years that constantly drug down the rest of the department that I had to eventually let go. Not fun!

@ mjkline1958 - There's no doubt in my mind that the future with Chip Kelly as our coach is indeed bright....I still say "in Chip we trust". I agree with you that his greatest asset is his speed....once he loses his speed, he's pretty much done. I'm not a big Desean Jackson fan myself to make it clear....BUT, no compensation for him?? What in the hell is going on in the NFL these days?? I wouldn;t say it's a travesty, because there are far worse stuff going on in the world....but it's darn near close to a travesty... no compensation in return {shaking my head}.

I hope after Maclin or cooper goes down with a season ending knee injury you have the same confidence in our WR core for this upcoming season (not hoping it happens of course, but things like that do happen, witness a year ago).

You've been watching this moron's act for 6 years and wonder why he's gone. Kelche goes on twitter and is thrilled he's gone yet you need more explanation? Yeah, it's a shame that the talent is gone, but his story is not a new one. Let him blow up another team.

FRONT OFFICE SCREW UP! it goes to show u that they didn't really want him representing them anymore...Dont know if I can support then after this....You mean to tell me there was no way to sit down and talk about what made them feel uncomfortable about his surroundings...Then I heard that he was late to meetings, and didn't fully buy in all that Chip endorsed....Hell 82 catches 1300 yards, I would hate to see if he did....Now where's all the talk about winning right now! You have Maclin whose coming off a torn acl, probably can't go a full 16 plus some with press coverage and Riley Cooper! Wow. They better move up and get one of the Top 5 receivers, and even then, he will be just a rookie

If the Eagles were really looking to get rid of him (and some reports out there are saying they tried to get a 2nd rounder before last years draft), they failed miserably in getting no compensation. they should have taken a 3rd or 4th last year (or this year)... just terrible! draft picks this year are like gold considering it's supposed to be one of the best draft classes in 10 years....the front office out of known that and should have traded him last year before the draft. Just terrible FO

@ eagle60 - I need more explanation as to why we received nothing in return for him. I understand he has questionable character....many guys playing in the NFL do....but when you decide to get rid of a pro bowl player of his caliber, you get something in return....we got nothing...nada...zilch...nichts, nunca, niente.. so we FAIL!

I am guessing the eagles are going to look for a burner in the draft, on the bright side thats about all d-jax had... he doesnt run all routs, and not a blocking receiver either... verry fast and great when he has the ball.. but not worth the 10 mil /yr ... not to mention the off field issues that are coming to light.

we're not trying to win this year....i guess the front office sees the seahawks & 49ers as too tough to beat right now, so we're better thinking about the "future".....but of course we won;t get any draft picks for desean to help "build the future"

I hope chip knows what he is doing. We are the most passionate but also most impatient fan base. Chip is turning into another greg schiano... You can't control grown men chip!

@ PhillyRod - again I agree with all of your points regarding said player,,,,,but are you also ok with the fact that our front office got absolutely nothing in return for him?...no draft picks we could have used in this years draft....we only have 6 picks in this years draft now that we traded one away.....just amazing to me that we had to trade a 5th round pick to get Sproles (when we could have gotten him 3 or 4 years ago when he was in his prime for NO draft picks).... and then get nothing in return for a 27 yr. old superstar WR...again, way to go FO

Why.....Why....

Why did we sign Mark Sanchez and RELEASE our best WR after one of best seasons....My mind is just blown.

so said nancy kerrigan

how many of you hear think the Eagles used that report about him having a connection with a Crip gang as an excuse to release him? I sure do. I think they (at least a few people in the organization) just didn't want him around here so they used that story as validation for releasing him.

Time to take a step away and look at what happened. DJax has been a pain since day one with every coach - attitude, not going to meetings, not getting along in the locker room, etc. Even his overpaid salary didn't appease him. He was being shopped around for a long time and probably at the owners' mtg. Nobody wanted to touch him at that price. Why are so many people blaming the FO for other teams not wanting to pay the price for such an immature pain the a**? He was a sunk cost from a previous administration that had high hopes for him, a deal which in hindsight should never have been made. Sometimes you just have to cut bait and move on.

@ JonnyTsunami - Yeah, isn't it great? It's just like the news only reporting on bad stuff that happens ....there's nary a mention of anything...no details whatsoever...no video. Just strange.

Details? What else is needed, especially now that players have let it be known that's it's good riddance? Doubt the FO will ever mention his name again - nore do they need to.