Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Eagles Release WR DeSean Jackson

1wranler. I can agree with. That still doesn't negate the fact that the leaders of this team have not treated everyone fairly. If not for premadonnas teams like dall, 49ers, giants ect. would not have won as many or any SB. Warren Sapp was a premadonna. Steve Young, Michael Ivering ect.. ect... The difference is the teams dealt with it. This front office owes it to their fans to state why they falsely reported facts and refuse to even explain their side of the story. More fans from what I've read and/or heard upset with what most have seen to be the continued failure to maintain a steady progressive product. Every time this team gains strides on offense they tend to remove pieces to set the team back. The offense was fine the defense needed work. Now both sides need help. Plus they are about to lose part of the most productive offensive line with the same concept and thinking.

Look at it this way. Would cooper have been that effective without Jackson drawing all the attention on the other side. I think not. So are the eagles worst off without Jackson. Yes both on paper and on the field. They paying the hope we can find a player with that talent game. Speed doesn't always trans to catches. They're several players that are faster than Jackson but have never surpassed what he has done. You don't get rid of your car when it's running good you just get a tune up to keep it running. No don't take the engine apart. IJS. The front office and Kelly need to remember that this isn't college football. This is the NFL and good players are hard to get and keep. Money talks. Besides they agreed to the contract as well and Kelly admitted that Jackson never asked the team for more money. The LAPD blow up their excuse for getting rid of Jackson. Yes I'm a die hard Eagles fan but I see this getting worst before it gets better. This team will be the NFL version of the PAC. Well from what I've seen the PAC hasn't won a National Championship in a while and the college game doesn't always translate over to NFL wins. If it did we wouldn't see top college players turning out to be NFL buses.

@oldschool5003 - We will find out if Cooper can get open without Jackson this year. I just can't figure out all this defeatism from the fan base. Jackson had his chance to get us to the Super Bowl. He played in 6 playoff games for us and couldn't get it done. Didn't the fan base turn on Andy Reid for the exact same reason? Jackson had a grand total of 19 catches in 6 playoff games with a total of 2 whole touchdowns. Do you believe that those are #1 receiver stats? Jackson doesn't play big in big games. If you don't believe me, look it up. If your goal is to get to the Super Bowl than Jackson had to go. If your goal is to just get to the playoffs then Jackson is your man as he does well in a lot of regular season games. I have been waiting for a Super Bowl since 1965 so I want a Super Bowl.

It sems that the Eagles Front Office likes DRAMA. Last year it was the QB competition.

This year it's the dumping of Jackson while assassinating his character. I totally understand if they decided to cut him if he didn't/doesn't buy into the new coaches system or their was a clash of personalities. If that was the case call it so and move on. Why attempt to assassinate his character when cutting him from the team? That is classless, not that we expect owners and coaches to have much class.

Although I am an Eagles fan, the front office needs to stop the drama and start being consistent winners. It will be interesting to see how this move works out if Jackson plays in the same division or even if he doesn't.

Guilt by association. What if one of the front office guys Chip or Lurie new a convicted pedophile, does that make them one to? Ouch.

@Canada - Here is the statement from the Eagles when Jackson was released " After careful consideration during this off season the Eagles have decided to part ways with Desean Jackson." What part of that statement was character assassination? Anything else you may have heard was from the press.

Eagles will score more points in 14' than in 13'... team players!

What we really need to do is tighten up the defense. As you can see with Denver they CANNOT win against a tough defense. If Denever played against SanFran or the Seahawks in the next Super Bowl they will get destroyed again. Since that is the case, what would happen to the Eagles in their current state? In any team sport, Defense wins Championships.

I guess if we got that far this year and got destroyed in the Super Bowl we would be pretty happy.

@Canada - Here is the statement from the Eagles when Jackson was released " After careful consideration during this off season the Eagles have decided to part ways with Desean Jackson." What part of that statement was character assassination? Anything else you may have heard was from the press.

It's pretty easy to leak information to the press. Why woulkd they come out with a story like that? I am suspicious.

@Canada - According to PFT and I believe it, the Eagles were told to remain silent by their attorneys and that is why there has been no further statement from them other than the original one. It is easy to understand from a lawsuit point of view. Apparently the press is not concerned about Jackson filing a lawsuit against them. I must say however that Jackson is the one who said he is not affiliated with a gang and the Eagles never even brought that subject up .

The Eagles need to have more success, before asking their fans to accept releasing top players and not saying why. As an Eagle fan, I so far have bought in, but I really don't see how this move helps the football team, and some sort of explanation would help. This leaves the Eagles with only 6 draft picks, and they pretty much need to get a fast wr with top pick, which would have been better utilized on a def pick, .... All I can say is they had better win if they expect the philly fans to stay on board.,

@PhillyRod - I am not an expert football strategist but through the years I have learned that the most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said. If you recall Chip Kelly praised Maclin's route running in man to man coverage not long before Jackson was released. He also stated that he needed receivers that could get open in man to man because more teams this year were going to be playing that coverage against them. We all know that getting open in that coverage is not Jackson's strong suit. The playoff game against the Saints was a perfect example of that. Jackson had 3 catches the whole game and two of those catches came against a backup cornerback after the starter was injured. What I am trying to say is that if a receiver is drafted by Kelly this year he may be looking for one that can get open in man to man more than a speed burner like Jackson. The only way a team stays on top is to be constantly changing .

I'm not sure the why of Jackson's release is important now. Whether he deserved it or not isn't the issue. The team has the right to go forward with the players it has confidence in, but what I think is going to stick is the way the front office failed to make a deal for him, and the way they bungled the explanation to the fans.

The Eagles Front Office and Chip Kelly really screwed this one up. More and more stories are coming out and they don't shine a good light on the organization. The owner really looks bad and so does his organization. But do they care what the fans and the public thinks? No they don't. There's been reports of top college players hoping they don't get picked by philly. I wouldn't either. I guess that's because I'm from the hood and the Eagles don't like treat in the Chip Kelly lead team but if I was a racist that would and has fit nicely into his team concept. It's a shame. Now it's changed to "if you make too much you get cut." They give the contracts to players. After all is said in done, I hope he sues the heck out of this organization for this and Goodell should investigate and fine them as well. Maybe then the message would be sent to the owners that you can't just say what you want about players and get away with it. It seems racial to me. But I don't matter. Losing my ticket sale won't matter a hill of beans. Someone else will buy my seats. I won't be for a while. Too too many stories against the eagles on this one. LAPD, US Dist Att office and police reports. Doesn't add up to what the eagles are saying. It's a shame. For those that don't agree go read the different reports and stories that have surfaced since his release.

Oh the NJ.com also quoted an eagles source in their article. An NFL spokesman told NJ.com the league had no comment on the revelations in the report, but said Jackson could face discipline over the use of gang signs. Jackson appeared to flash them in a game against the Washington Redskins last season and also in photos he posted on social media.

"Gang-signing is considered conduct detrimental to the league and is subject to discipline, the severity of which would be determined in accordance with provisions of the Personal Conduct Policy," the league's statement read.

What is missing here is that the NFL needs to look at every game and hand sign that a player throws up if they want to punish Jackson. Players throw up signs all the time. Secondly, what is also missing is that the NFL won't do anything if accusations are false. What then. This is a pretext for teams to use against players from urban up brings.

Fact is fact. The eagles and chip Kelly used this story to get rid of Jackson. If throwing up a gang sign that happened last year was a big deal why are eagles and the NFL saying something about it a year later. Money protecting money. Why not stop players from pointing the sky? Not everyone believes in God. Stop players throwing up college frat signs. No more dropping to one knee after a player scores.

After releasing DJax the Eagles still have 9 WR on the roster and it is only March. They are here for a reason. More signings for sure and the draft is coming up.

About the Eagles or NFL getting rid of players with urban upbringing HAH half the league would be gone. Jason Avant was from deep in the hood and talked about his experiences publicly and was with the Eagles a long time. The Eagles released him but not for being from the hood.

Talk about drama. QB competition is drama? Nah. The only so called drama created by the Eagles was by releasing DJax. Not a word form the Eagles FO about DJax's character or anything. The media and the fans are creating all the drama. And with releasing DJax, the me first drama, contract drama, sideline drama with the Eagles is probably history.

DJax walked out after last season ended and did not attend the post season interview (every other Eagle did) and was not heard from until him and Chip met last week when Chip told him he was going to do what was best for the team. I don't think Chip told him not to worry about the rumors and that he still had a place on the team.

The Eagles knew they had a tough 1st place schedule coming up this year and they are doing what they think is best to win what they can.

Go Birds!!!!

Ruf, you hit it right on the nose. Me First, Contract and Sideline drama is the thing of the past. For me, I like. NEXT MAN UP!

DeSean Jackson over his six year career here had 356 receptions in 87 games with 86 games started. Take that 356 receptions and divide it by 87 games, comes out to 4 receptions a game. If you divide his receiving yards by the same amount of games, it comes out to 70 yards a game. Was he a playmaker on the field? Absolutely, but his production can be replaced.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackDe00.htm

More of the same. The eagles FO silent. The Kelly talked highly of Avant too. If I was a player and Kelly spoke highly of me I would start to worry. And the Me First, Contract and Sideline drama. First the me first is present with more than just Jackson. The contract came before Kelly got there. He must of deserved it. The sideline drama. Look across the league. It happens every week. It's easy to defend the eagles when they won't defend themselves. The Cooper thing happened on Kelly's watch. Nothing happened. The eagles were happy to keep him. This gang thing came out on Kelly's watch and the eagles went the opposite way. Why??? We all know why and aren't brave enough to say it. Had a player was seen with friends from his home town who are members of the AB. Would anything been said? Nope. This is one sided. You defend the handling of the Cooper issue and are so quick to applaud the Jackson release. Wow. Jackson like Avant did nothing publicly to hurt the eagles organization as other public videos have. Why??? Go ahead and defend them some more. Wrong is wrong.

@oldschool5003 I ain't defending the FO, but they have the right to do what they want to do. The things I listed about DJax were known facts and also my opinion just like the things you are listing are your opinion. Why DJax was finally released we will never know unless the FO releases that information, which I think they will never do.

The me first I agree is throughout the league. The contract thing DJax started after last season again, whether it was a joke or not but he said it publicly. And how many players will admit publicly that they dogged a season because of not being happy with their contract? Rosenhaus got DJax a great contract and then DJax throws him to the curb. And if we believe what we read in the media DJax owed Rosenhaus millions before he got DJax the humongous contract after the 775K rookie contact

The sideline drama shouldn't happen but it does during the heat of battle on game day. As I posted before I luved DJax play and wish him the best where ever he winds up. About locker room drama with DJax we will never know.

The Eagles handled the Cooper situation they way they thought was best and Eagles players came in (Vick and Avant to name a couple) to cool things down.

It was in the media that the Eagles shopped DJax last year too and could not get any takers. And for whatever reason the same thing this year. So with him being released this year was not a surprise to me.

DJax is gone and we as fans that liked his play can't do anything about but wish him the best.

I have been an Eagles fan bleeding green a long time and will continue to be through thick and thin and have been through some tough seasons, the 60's and 70's were brutal. In my lifetime since the Eagles won the 1960 Championship they have had only 21 winning seasons but I am still with them.

60'S - 1 1961

70's - 2 1978 and 79

80's - 4 1980,81,88 and 89 Lost SB XV

90's - 5 1990,91,92,95 and 96

2000's - 7 2000,01,02,03,04,06,08,09 Lost SB XXXIX

2010's - 2 2010,13

I'm out - Go Birds!!!

First off... I'm a die hard Eagles fan. I usually support the team decisions even if it doesnt sound like a great decision. But the way how this all went down I don't like nor support it. The front office obviously fell into a trap with all the rumors about trading or releasing Jackson. Then, having a talk with Jackson to make him feel a little at ease. Then chip Kelly goes on to praise Jackson. Then NJ.com comes out with this article about Jackson and gang ties. And then the Eagles release him shortly after the article was released. The whole gangbanging thing sounds like absolute bologna. Saying Jackson throwing up gang signs but the particular sign that Jackson did has become pretty universal. Even if you are only by association part of a gang (respectfully the Crips) they don't take it lightly throwing up their sign and if you are part of the gang they definitely don't like you not claiming your set. Had Jackson been out on the field "stacking up gang signs" (e.g. the streetgang "The Bloods" have stacking signs where they spell out Blood) then you can question it. Somebody had a personal vendetta to try to destroy Jackson's character. I hate how we are creating all this necessary attention on the team. People look to celebrate the Eagles failures. I had strong hopes for the next season but I'm starting to doubt if we win the division now. I can pretty much guarantee you that Cooper wont be nearly as effective now. Foles will not be leaving off from last season. We'll see what Maclin does. This organization doesn't look like they appreciate their fans or winning. All they care about is putting media focus on them and trying to sell as many tickets as possible. Jackson brought a lot to the Eagles with the ability to force the defense to spread thus creating openings for other receivers. He helped make our offense really effective last season. I don't know what the Eagles have in store but i know if we don't have a winning season in this horrible division then I'm really going to be disappointed. If DeSean goes to a division rival team and blow us up and expose flaws then the Eagles have pretty much set us up to become the laughing stock of the NFL.

Just heard something on the radio that was pretty interesting... they said that back when the Riley Cooper racist remark video came out and everything hit the fan it was Vick, Avant, and Jackson that kept peace in the locker room and accepted Coopers apology and pushed the locker room to get passed it and move on as Cooper being a teammate and continue to support him like teammate. Where aren't those 3 players now? Not in the Eagles locker room. Where is Cooper? in the Eagles locker room enjoying his contract extension. Coopers penalty for that video was a fine that was an UNDISCLOSED amount. So all we know he never really got fined. Everything with DeSean Jackson was allegations. Really have to make you question the Eagles organization. I'm a die hard fan but the organization is making it tough being part of the Bird Gang... no pun intended.

Some of y'all are killing me questioning Jackson's talent NOW! He is/was a very talented WR...couldn't get open?! REALLY??!! Jackson has been seen getting open MANY GAMES, but due to our protection on the offensive line (and we all know we had MAJOR problems there) the QB couldn't get the ball out to him...all this comes when Jackson wanted more money, NOW some of you confused fans bashing him when y'all think you need raises for YOUR efforts at work...SAME THING! This Organization have let players walk away for YEARS! Remember Reggie White (R.I.P), Brian Dawkins, even Terrell Owens (who helped us get to the Super Bowl, and played after a Major injury),etc,etc,etc....So some of you say he can be replaced (which is true) but when, how, who? We PRAY that Foles, Cooper, Ertz have a season like last year, but Teams are figuring that out as we speak....Maclin? All due respect, has he put behind him his injury and the HITS?! Can this offensive line protect Foles as they did last year now being his somewhat second year? My point is we need all the help we can get and losing a Major threat whether he catch the ball or took defenders with him WILL impact us greatly....Hopefully he was released because the reports were truthful in word and he was a problem on and off the field...but if not....SHAME ON YOU!

As much as we will miss the exciting Jackson...the truth remains that he was shut down many big games. And that what we need most is receivers that can block and that can get that tough 5 yards on a slant from the 5 yard line. He wants that top pay when he cant do those little things in the paint so to speak. I will miss him, but I think Kelly made a good decision for the organization. We need receivers that can get open in man to man against big athletic corners. Jax was simple not that. And yes he was open many times and overlooked and hey he might even burn us if he signs with Wash. But the fact remains that what we need is bigger stronger athletic receivers like Cooper...srry jax..but hey you are still a millionare youll get over it!