Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Eagles Release WR DeSean Jackson

according to my handy dandy solar powered calculator....jackson average....and sit down for this...$231,866 PER CATCH last season and that wasn't enough for him. good riddance.

I have been a huge DJax fan for a long time. I get the fact that he is immature and out there putting his business in the public eye to often, but I don't see where his background should be used as the reason here with the media. He's a dynamic player and I just feel this could have been repaired.

The thing that bothers me the most is that these reports keep saying Chip is setting the tone and culture for the Philadelphia Eagles. Then that "culture change" should have taken place with Riley Cooper since his actions, in my opinion, were inexcusable if we're being such a prudent organization now.

Spending the money on the right players is the key...there are numerous receivers available this year...a short contract for Sanchez is not a big risk...but as the Superbowl points out...defense is a must...we need some more heavy hitters...you can't outscore everyone...Seattle showed the league what is possible with the right mix...the MONEY needs to be spent on DEFENSE!

Keep the faith with Chip! Last year when he came in there were 75 guys on the roster and he brought in 56 more guys to look at with trades, FA signings and and the draft.

At the end of the season of the 75 that were here on the roster when Kelly arrived only 36 (32 on roster, 2IR and 2 on the Practice squad) remained.

Of the 56 he brought in only 30 were left at the end of the 2013 season (21 on roster, 3IR and 6 on the practice squad.

That is 128 guys he looked at so far to make HIS team. I think Chip and his staff know what they are doing. From worst to first in a year playing a 4th place team schedule.

So far this off season we have lost 5 guys from last year (3 released and 2 FA signings). Up to now he has brought in 10 more guys of which 9 remain.

Right now we have on the roster 8 WR, 4 TE that have to be looked at and 2 running backs that are pass catching machines.

it is a long way to opening day, more signings will be surely be made and there is still the draft to come.

I like what Kelly has done so far he is putting together a team and I look forward to another exciting season this year playing a division winner schedule. GO BIRDS!!!!

@1wrangler

DeSean makes anybody better on the field without catching a ball...

We need first round talent on the defensive side of the ball, to win only 1 playoff game

@tjackxon - Riley Cooper was given a second chance just like Michael Vick. I am sure Desean Jackson was given a second chance as well, maybe more. Tell me then my fellow Eagles fan, How many chances are you willing to give a player before you give up on him? It is always up to the players discretion what he does with his second chance.

@EntroX - If your theory is correct then all Chip has to do is bring in a track star instead of a receiver to replace Jackson. At a lot less than 10 million a year. I'm sorry but I want us to win a Super Bowl not just make the playoffs. A #1 receiver plays big in big games. Jackson has not.

It's really very simple why he's gone.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, when he admitted he didn't play up to his potential because of his contract, he was a marked man.

He wanted a new contract now...does that mean he doesn't play well if he doesn't get it?

its' all about attitude.

You can't keep a guy like this on the team.

Right now, this is making very little sense. I hope the Eagles and this site will be willing to explain things a little better. Two paragraphs of "Oh by the way" just ain't makin it.

I suppose this means that any of us who had dreams of Calvin Pryor knocking the bejesus out of WR and RBs who dare encroach on his domain are screwed. Now it's looking like the no.1 need right now is a no.1 receiver of our own. Long, frustrated, Eagles fan disappointed again sigh.

@USGrunt - Are you absolutely sure that Jackson's replacement isn't already on the team? Not if you are comparing Apples to Apples speed wise but how about if you are going in another direction like maybe height and good hands? It is a long way to go yet before the first game is played.

Actually it IS apples to apples Wrangler....what people forget is Jackson ran a 4.3 at the combine....Maclin ran a 4.35....MACLIN IS ACTUALLY JUST AS FAST...only Diff? Maclin actually knows how to run WR routes AND is not afraid to block for the RBs....this move is what they call addition by subtraction....cut that cancer out!!!

@1Wrangler

Everybody here wants the Eagles to win the super bowl. The problem is that our defense have some big holes and now we've got another one on offense. They should have kept Jackson until next season when the cap space is needed.

@ChipsArmy - Yes I am aware of Maclin's 40 yd speed however I wasn't necessarily stating that Maclin was Jackson's replacement. There may be another existing receiver that rises to the occasion. I must say however that I was pleased when I heard Kelly state that Maclin was a very good receiver in man to man coverage. Something that was Jackson's weakness. Kelly also stated that he expects more teams this year to play man to man against us.

all you people amuse me about "cutting the cancer"... if they deemed him as a cancer, fine.. TRADE the guy. I find it hard to believe that no team would've been willing to give us a 5th round draft pick for him... get SOMETHING for him. Terrible, just terrible!

USGrunt, I believe that's exactly what this release means... now we're forced to address the WR position, possibly higher up in the draft than we would have normally done. To not get a draft pick in return for Jackson is just terrible....no other way I can describe what I feel right now. The Vikes get a 1st & 3rd for Percy Harvin, and we get absolutely NOTHING for a 4 time pro bowl receiver in his prime. Way to go Eagles!

and everyone can point to his small frame and that he's fragile and doesn;t block all you want... he has been arguably the most durable receiver we have (certainly more durable than Maclin) and he put up huge #'s....and I'm sorry, Maclin doesn;t have the straigt line speed of Jackson...defenses HAD to respect that speed and pay close attention to him, otherwise they get burned for a quick touchdown.

@PCJoeyD - You may be correct but I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't have been just as much complaining from the fan base about accepting a 5th round draft pick for him. The argument would have just changed to "Why didn't we at least get a second or third round pick for him"? He is worth more than a 5th. LOL

not only did the eagles get worse today, but riley cooper got worse as well....i hope cooper gets used to being covered like a blanket this year....same goes for Maclin.

Since we picked up Sproles we at least have another weapon and the name of the game is move the chain. So I hate that we lost DJax but we should have enough talent to move down the field and score.

I just want us to fully invest in defense this draft - get a Safety, CB, outside LB and if possible another pass rushed. We have to get back to striking fear in other teams instead of just trying to outscore them

@1wrangler, I agree with you whole heartily as I'm one of those people....but I just figured we'd get SOME compensation for him.... who knows, we can get lucky and turn that 5th round pick into a steal of the draft,,,,or a guy that Kelly likes that will help us in some capacity on special teams.. OR we could use it to trade up and get a better WR in the draft... SOMETHING.....to get nothing in return just doesn't sit well with me....it's just not acceptable.

Regardless if you agree Jackson was the no. 1 receiver, or see Maclin as the guy; you are still replacing a heck of a lot of production. What if Maclin gets hurt again? Then where are we? No other Eagle has shown anywhere near the talent of Jackson and to expect one to step up is a way long shot.

Like all of you I am only guessing here. I can't read coach Kelly's mind, but I would be really surprised if we aren't drafting a WR early. Whether you prefer a Jackson clone like Brooks, the tall athletic Benjamin, or somewhere in between like Beckam Jr. WR has got to be on the Birds minds now. If you have a good argument otherwise, I would love to hear it.

@ tjackxon, you can bet they won;t focus solely on defense now. Had we kept Djax for another year, we would have been DEADLY on offense.....we could've STILL drafted a WR to groom for the future, AND we would of had great depth. It;s not like we didn;t have enough salary cap space....we had PLENTY of cap space to spare. I just don;t get this at ALL

@ USGrunt.. I personally prefer Brandon Cooks from oregon state...he's super fast, good guy and lots of production.... BUT, no guarantees he becomes a great WR at the NFL level just because he runs as fast as DJax. And you are right about injuries...what hapopens if Maclin gets hurt again (he had 2 torn acl's already)....how many torn acl's has jackson had? Zero. Bad, bad move.

It really does look like the front office totally botched this. Regardless of how they felt we should have gotten something for Jackson.

What did Braylan Edwards bring...two thirds or something like that?