Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[Spadaro] 2012 Draft Shapes Eagles Today

You just type in your 10 predicted picks by the Eagles right here for 3D's contest--- and DDD will harvest your entry. ~As for balloting in Brizer's sanctioned contest, you just gotta open a Livefyre account and drop your entry anytime between now and May 7 at eagleseyeblog.com ...this year, there's a new wrinkle...you get to submit 11 names...Bri calls it the Mach 10 Plus .....

Thanks,new to this site(fan since '71) Just post it on here.I can do THAT.See my re-evaluate post.After doing this 6 times in 2 hours,after the 7th beer I fall asleep and have to start over lol

Where do you sign up for this? No comp whiz,but cant find the page (I'm a moron)

GB, we kickoff the MACH10 contest this Wednesday on Dave's "INSIDER" section. Here are the contest rules.

We kickoff the MACH10 "Freak's rise to power" contest on Wednesday, April 16th. Keep working on your picks.

********************************************************************************************************************

The Mach10 "Freak's rise to power" starts on Wednesday, April 16th, 2014. Pick 10 players our Eagles will select in this draft. The players you select do not need to make the final 53 or PS8. The only requirement is they must be drafted by our Eagles. You do no need to be round specific, just name 10 players. You can modify your picks as often as you choose. However, the final cutoff for any changes to your MACH10 is Wednesday, May 7th at 17:00pm DST. No changes will be accepted after this date/time. The first tiebreaker will be the highest overall rank your player(s) were drafted. The final tiebreaker, if needed, will be who signs their contract with our Eagles on the earliest date. The poster who has the highest number of correct Eagle players selected will be "Mach10 Champion" of 2014. Freak is our defending champion.

Good luck and happy maching, men.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Triple-sounds like fun!!!! I'll give it a shot.I thought I was the league "senior citizen".You got me,but not behind by much lol.Thanks for the info

Triple-sounds like fun!!!! I'll give it a shot.I thought I was the league "senior citizen".You got me,but not behind by much lol.Thanks for the info

GB, we have one poster called "Old Bill". He has seen all three championships by our Eagles. '48, '49 and of course, the last one in '60. He has us all beat. He just turned 80 in early March.

Our "Freak" is trying to be the first poster to win back to back MACH10 championships here, along with winning it at the eye. A triple crown is in play for the Freak in his rise to power.

My mom(Steelers fan) is 88,dad(Browns fan) is 92.On game day(Browns vs Pitt) they are a sight to see.I learn new words every time lol.Last year I learned "exhaustipated".Thats too tired to give a C***

Sweet! I am lucky to get up 3 days in a row lol

I'd be happy with either.Spiller,maybe a bit more power,but Sproles can do so many thing to hurt you.Why I hope we snag Dri Archer in later rounds

I like Sproles,always have.Maybe because he was "too small to play" yeah RIGHT!!! Think our O line is good enough to open holes with either out of the backfield.We will do damage in the short game HAHA(move those chains!)

I like Sproles,always have.Maybe because he was "too small to play" yeah RIGHT!!! Think our O line is good enough to open holes with either out of the backfield.We will do damage in the short game HAHA(move those chains!)

Serious question for all of you:

Was the transition from 4-3 to 3-4 base defense really a good idea for the Eagles?

Consider the players we have:

- Graham was a first-round draft pick and should be in his prime by now, but we are thinking of trading him for a fourth or fifth round pick, partly because he simply doesn't fit the defensive scheme.

- Curry is a beast pass-rusher, but looks a bit lost in a 3-4. Can he be relied upon to stop the run?

- Cole has worked hard to make the transition to 3-4 OLB, but there is no denying that his sack numbers have suffered.

- Kendricks has been phenomenal (my favorite player on the Eagles roster today), but in my eyes his natural position is still as a 4-3 OLB.

- Ryans has been solid, but remember that the Texans traded him to us partly because they didn't think he fit their scheme after they switched to 3-4. He sometimes looks a tick slow for a 3-4 ILB.

- Last year we had to spend a third round draft pick on a NT (Logan) and this year we need to use a high draft pick on a 3-4 OLB. And we gave a big contract to Barwin, plus paid Sopoaga decent money to do half a season. These resources could have been used elsewhere if we had simply stayed with the 4-3.

How about the following for a starting 4-3 front 7?

Curry/Graham - Cox - Thornton - Cole

Kendricks - Ryans - [Pick/Trade/Signing, see above!]

None of these guys were chosen or picked by chip.

Curry/Graham - Cox - Thornton - Cole

Kendricks - Ryans - [Pick/Trade/Signing, see above!]

Chip wants a 34D. We finished 10 and 6 and won the division, all the while transitioning to a new D. We are still a work in progress until chip gets his guys on D and O.

As for our O, peanut gone and chip wants his guy(s) at WR. MV gone and sanchez in at qb.

I wouldn't say we were really a 3-4 defense last year. We were, but more of a hybrid. There were a lot of times when Cole had his hand in the ground (especially at the end of the season) and was rushing the passer from the "OLB" spot. I think you're right. We are a 4-3 defense that was forced to be something it wasn't. At the same time we were a defense without an identity for the previous two seasons since Jimmy died. In came Billy Davis and he wants to run a 3-4 and who is to argue when Chip Kelly is your head coach. The guy is the poster child for spreading out defenses and taking advantage of line intensive 4-3 defenses. In a pass happy league a 3-4 defense is the way to go. Will there be growing pains? Sure. Should we have tried to trade a bunch of guys midseason last year to draft players this year to fit the scheme? Maybe. But the head coach thought they could make it work and get this team turned around with what they had rather than scrap it and call it a three year rebuilding effort. Which is what it would have been and we would be drafting much higher than 22 if that's what we did last year.

As good as Nick played don't get fooled into thinking chip won't take another qb in this draft or as udfa it he sees a match for him. He drafted Barkley and brought in sanchez. Chip believes in competition and having game ready depth at that position.

Ideally what should happen for the Eagles on draft day:

Teams in the late first round are in the best position to trade back. Not in the first half of this draft. They'll want too much. If someone falls like Barr, Clinton-Dix, Pryor or Dennard falls to 22 or below I could see someone trading a early to mid second rounder and a third or early 4th for him. I could see the Eagles doing this since they need so much on defense. I could see them putting up their early 2nd round pick in return for another two 3rd round picks or a 3rd and 4th rounder if there are good receivers left there. I could even see them trading that 2nd rounder and Graham at that point to Miami for Dion Jordan if the second rounder is higher than what they currently have. That would still give them 6 picks and the OLB that Chip has wanted since last year or 8 picks in all if they just trade down. 1 second rounder, potentially 3 third rounders or 2 third rounders and 2 or 3 4th round picks, etc into later rounds.

Yeah, we went 10-6. All thanks to the offense. McCoy rushed for 100 yards a game *on average*. Foles went 27-2 or something like that. Jackson had 1300 yards and 9 TD's. The O-Line stayed healthy all season and was awesome. Even Cooper had a breakout season.

Meanwhile, our D was below average every way you look at it, which was fully expected considering the changes to the scheme. I can live with that, I just wonder if these changes were really prudent, considering the talent we have on the roster - some of which is wasted in a 3-4.

I agree Solitano. It may very well be the case, but maybe Davis just can't teach the 4-3 or he doesn't know it as well as the 3-4. I'd rather have our coaches teach what they know. I'd expect a better all around performance from the defense this year with a year under their belt even if we do nothing more than add Carroll and Jenkins. When we were playing a 4-3 we couldn't cover for a damn and our safeties flat out sucked prior to Kelly arriving. If anything our safety play improved because Allen wasn't as responsible for run plays as he was in the 4-3. I'm probably in the minority of people thinking that our defensive line play isn't nearly as bad as people think it is. It's pretty hard to get a good pass rush going when a quarterback has guys down the field open in 2 seconds.

Yeah, we went 10-6. All thanks to the offense. McCoy rushed for 100 yards a game *on average*. Foles went 27-2 or something like that. Jackson had 1300 yards and 9 TD's. The O-Line stayed healthy all season and was awesome. Even Cooper had a breakout season.

Meanwhile, our D was below average every way you look at it, which was fully expected considering the changes to the scheme. I can live with that, I just wonder if these changes were really prudent, considering the talent we have on the roster - some of which is wasted in a 3-4.

A new coaching staff will implement the D and O according to their comfort level in believing their scheme will work. Our D was below average 2 years before chip arrived. We gave up the most passing td's in franchise history and some of the longest td's ever in the league.

There is no sense in waiting to change over into a 34D even if some players didn't fit. Start the process ASAP and get rid of the players who don't fit. Chip is making progress. 2011 and 2012 were disgraceful years on D.

Kurt Coleman signs with the vikings.

Good for Coleman glad he caught on somewhere lol he went to philly west the Vikings always pick up our scraps I give my dad crap for that all the time

Howie did good in 2012 landed a ton of talent lets hope we continue the streak this coming draft....2013 looks like a solid group as well

I didn't noticed we took so many high round D players in 2012.... 3 D players in the 1 and 2nd round and Boykin was graded by many as a 2nd round talent that was a complete steal in round 4

I really hope that Vinny Curry finds his niche in our D this yr this guy can play football he is so disruptive and his motor is always running.... Would hate to see him go to 43 D team where he might be a tad better fit and just dominate for some other team when he could do that here in Philly

Ski....I would agree with you that our DL was a strength last season. Do think they need to get bigger and stronger up front and they will might need some more depth as well right we have Cox,Curry,Thorton,Logan.... Square and Kruger is about it after those 4 guys think NT depth is a must.....

As for the pass rush we need OLBs Graham is likely gone Cole is aging and Braham is still unknown only real OLB we have is Barwin at the moment