Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ackid38

Michael Vick: 'I revolutionized' game

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11113974/michael-vick-says-pioneered-role-mobile-quarterback

Mike says that he started it all. I have to disagree. Randall Cunningham in my eyes was the better Athletic QB. He could scramble, he could pass, he could punt, he could stay on the field.

16 years Randall 35000 total yards(258 pg), 242 td(35 rush, 207 pass) in 135 games (82-52-1)

11 years Mike 27,000 yards(236 pg), 164 tds(36 rush,128 pass) in 106 games (58-48)

Mike was a strong armed running QB, Randall was a QB that could do just about anything. Mike is the best running QB that has ever played. But that's it. If he would of just learned the rest of the position, mike could of won so many games. If he could of just incorporated playing in the pocket more often would of kept him on the field longer, he has a rocket arm. If he just ....oh well, he didn't.

He was one of the best athletes I've ever seen when he came out of VT. Probably could've revolutionized the game if he weren't a total dingus.

He was one of the best athletes I've ever seen when he came out of VT. Probably could've revolutionized the game if he weren't a total dingus.

Those VT games were must see TV.

Those VT games were must see TV.

He had a couple leading up to the 2004 NFCCG that were mind boggling.

Delusional. Pretty much sums up Vick's entire career.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Michael Vick is by far the most physically gifted QB, and perhaps overall football player to ever lace 'em up. There have been maybe 2-3 QBs ever to play that had a better arm, maybe 2-3 QBs ever to play that had a quicker release, but no QB ever that was even close in terms of flat out running speed and short area quickness. That's what makes it so frustrating that he just pissed it all away early in his career, never working at his craft and relying solely on his physical attributes.

After Vick's release from prison, I really do believe he started working really hard at his craft and that 2010 season was the result of that hard work. But then the Eagles gave him a $100MM contract and BAM! The young Mike Vick showed back up and finished off the ruined potential.

Had Vick came into the NFL working as hard as Peyton Manning and simply learned to slide, I really believe he could have revolutionized the game, won multiple championships and been the greatest QB and football player ever to play the game.

Such a sad story of wasted potential.

All the pure athletic ability in the world without the ability to put it all together. The last paragraph just reinforces the deluded view of the world he has.

"I mean, what's done is done. Look at all the good. My message to them is, look at the good I've done, all the thousands of lives that I've saved, the people I've saved. That's most important. That's what the focus should be on, the lives that are being affected."

All the thousands of lives saved guys.

Guest Thomas76

it might have been a revolution in Atlanta.

here in Philly it was more like a civil war. I'm glad Nick won.

Mike has had so many people isolating him in his career, and so many others just enamored by him (telling him how great he is) that he's become delusional. Frankly to "revolutionize the game" I think whatever that is (you know like the forward pass) needs to be something that sticks, and has proven to win. Look and Vick's history. He hasn't consistently proven himself a winner nor has he been able to stay on the field long enough to truly be considered impactful. Teams aren't lining up hoping to find the next Mike Vick. Nobody wants a delusional midget who can't stay healthy, can't read defenses, and constantly makes dumb decisions on and off the field as the guy leading their franchise.

Delusional. Pretty much sums up Vick's entire career.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Michael Vick is by far the most physically gifted QB, and perhaps overall football player to ever lace 'em up. There have been maybe 2-3 QBs ever to play that had a better arm, maybe 2-3 QBs ever to play that had a quicker release, but no QB ever that was even close in terms of flat out running speed and short area quickness. That's what makes it so frustrating that he just pissed it all away early in his career, never working at his craft and relying solely on his physical attributes.

After Vick's release from prison, I really do believe he started working really hard at his craft and that 2010 season was the result of that hard work. But then the Eagles gave him a $100MM contract and BAM! The young Mike Vick showed back up and finished off the ruined potential.

Had Vick came into the NFL working as hard as Peyton Manning and simply learned to slide, I really believe he could have revolutionized the game, won multiple championships and been the greatest QB and football player ever to play the game.

Such a sad story of wasted potential.

Exactly, I remember that following summer, instead of working, he went on a book tour, they had the lockout and a lot of other qb's organized and led workouts....after a few weeks of the local media calling him out on it he set up some workouts, showed up to one or two, then quit coming, the few players that showed up had to drag some college QB to come and throw to them....of course when that was pointed out on here all the true believers flipped out and defended him.

When that guy was on, he was almost indefensible.....really wasted his career.

Obviously Randall had a better career than Michael Vick. But i have to partially agree with him. He was the only QB in the NFL with over 1000 rushing yards in a single season back in 06. And ever since then, More QB's have been running the ball. Look at guys like Russel Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Or even Cam Newton. They can not only throw the ball but they can beat you with there legs too. Thats what im sure he means by revolutionizing the game. Because now more and more QB's are trying to do what he did. And i'm sure some of you have to remember that he is still currently the leading rusher for QB's.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822f640e/article/vick-breaks-cunninghams-nfl-record-for-qb-rushing-yards

Damn, OP, you stole my thunder right in the original post. They say monk fish is the poor man's lobster, Vick has never been anything more than the poor man's Randall. 12 had a coach who only cared about the D, a bunch of sorry RBs, and maybe only Fred Barnett to throw to. Mike had Chip as coach, LeSean at RB, DeSean and Celek to throw to - and he still got outplayed by Foles.

I'm getting tired of these ego freaks. That includes Shady. STFU and leave it on the field.

Vick is the micheal Jordan of football. If Jordan was a drunk who didn't practice or give a rats a** about winning or getting better.

Vicks skill level is off the charts. But that's about it.

Obviously Randall Cunningham was the more accomplished athlete simply due to the era in which he played. Rule changes in the NFL subsequent to the era in which Randall played allows QB's to have some protection that earlier era football did not afford. I'm not comparing Fran Tarkenton to any of the these modern era QB's with the exception to note that hits Tarkenton took with no flag thrown would have resulted in multi game suspensions in this era. I'm old enough to remember Tarkenton play and recall him getting pile-driven into the turf. Remember all of Cunningham's starts and games and know he was the better athlete.

Something funny happened where Mike Vick hit a home-run recently and started running left..

And I going to sum up Mike's career in something I have typed 100 times here at Tate:

Ball is snapped, Mike stares down the primary WR (defense has to acknowledge the stare down)

Mike feels pressure of goes to his second option with his eyes, (there was no busted coverage on 1 or 2)

Now here is classic Vick

Mike ducks, he would always duck first, then he would turn right and spin to the left, taking his eye off of the down field.

It was like watching the Zapruder film:

he would always duck first, then he would turn right and spin to the left, taking his eye off of the down field

he would always duck first, then he would turn right and spin to the left, taking his eye off of the down field

Mike never mastered Mike, never got past how own muscle memory, and yes there were some great moments on film from Mike Vick but he never consistently played IQ football to cap a career with it.

When I think of Fran Tarkenton I think of the QB who changed the game.

When I think of Mike Vick I think of someone who I genuinely believe had learning disabilities, where if forced to watch from the sideline could absorb the playbook, but left to his own devices would go muscle memory. His statements that he left film and study material untouched (statements made by Vick) true.

He learned the playbook from the sideline (watching disciplined football) , got on the field produced a huge performance following what he had learned with that sideline knowledge with those players and chemistry, signed a HUGE effing contract and went back to muscle memory

That folks is the truth of Vick

The fact that he ran the wrong way after hitting a home run not surprising to me at all

Fran Tarkenton's career as a National Football League quarterback started with the fledgling Minnesota Vikings in 1961, took him to the New York Giants in 1967, and then back to the Vikings in 1972.

In Minnesota's first game ever, the rookie from Georgia came off the bench to fire four touchdown passes and run for a fifth in a big upset of the Chicago Bears. For the next 18 seasons, the 6-0, 190-pound field leader never let up in his relentless quest of yardage and touchdowns.

At the time of his retirement, Fran owned every significant passing record – 3,686 pass completions, 47,003 passing yards, and 342 touchdowns. But particularly in his early years, Tarkenton attracted widespread attention as an exciting scrambler who took plays from sideline to sideline. Add his 3,674 yards rushing to his stunning passing totals and you have 50,677 yards – almost 29 miles or 500 football fields – of offensive progression. Yet Tarkenton was also a "quality" passer as his 80.4 passing rating that placed him in the upper echelon in that category demonstrates.

Tarkenton was a No. 3 draft pick of the 1961 Vikings. He became the starting quarterback early in his rookie season and continued his outstanding performances for the next six seasons. But in 1967, he was sent to the New York Giants in a trade that netted the Vikings two No. 1 and two No. 2 draft picks over a three-year period.

Five seasons later, Fran came back to Minnesota in another massive swap that cost the Vikings two veterans, a rookie and two high draft picks. In Fran's final seven years with the Vikings (1972-1978), he led Minnesota to six NFC Central Division titles and three Super Bowl appearances. He was named first- or second-team All-NFL three times and selected to play in nine Pro Bowls during his career.

tarenton-sacked.jpg?w=500&h=350

Tarkenton_Gets_Sacked_medium.gif

It was a tough year of breaks for Tarkenton. In a game against the Baltimore Colts, he was knocked unconscious by defensive back Wendell Harris. It took a while for Tarkenton to regain his senses.

(but folks he went back into the game!)

Mike Vick is delusional to claim he revolutionized the game

That only means something if someone else (NFL player, coach) is saying it, thats just being a bragert and its not true.

Vick, My Brother, I supported you when you where behind center here in Philly 100% but, to come out and say that.....now, if it wasn't for a few things happening in your life and you where able to read defenses better combine that with the ability to stay healthy you might've had a case.

The one thing I'll say is that no player had as many ****s as teammates and opponents. I think it comes from things like the Madden football game and his highlights being available online, but players seem to love the guy.

As a pure running QB, no, not the first.

"It's something I've always shot for. When we went to the NFC Championship Game in 2004, I was almost certain I'd be involved in two or three more, at least. It goes to show how tough this league is. This is such a team game that, even in my prime, I couldn't do it all by myself."
I still don't understand how people can say they like him.

Randall was better and the pioneer. .

No, go back to Bobby Douglass and Steve Grogan in the 70's, both ran the ball a lot for a QB back then that was not very common

I still don't understand how people can say they like him.

I don't hate the guy, candidly wish he had stayed with our roster if he could have:

a.) learned the play book and routes by watching from the sideline from Foles

b.) was available as the backup QB

c.) could have accepted that position and kept his mouth shut

d.) do the above and contribute to SB winning season

e.) retire as an Eagle

It was item c that doomed him, his ego and mouth at his age

Now he is a backup behind Geno who might teach him something not the other way around.

The one great season was due to watching the team from the sideline, learning the play calling and routes with that specific roster and then doing what the coach asked him to do as he was temporarily humble

It is sort of a shame he wasn't more honest with himself.

This talking that he is doing is counter productive