Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ackid38

Michael Vick: 'I revolutionized' game

Bobby Douglass:

In 1972, playing for the Chicago Bears, Douglass set the record for most rushing yards by a QB in one season. The record stood for 34 years. In a 14-game 1972 season, he ran for 968 yards and 8 touchdowns on 141 carries. Four QBs (three in the CFL, one in the NFL) have since run for over 1,000 yards. With Douglass starting, the Chicago Bears had only a 13–31–1 record

No, go back to Bobby Douglass and Steve Grogan in the 70's, both ran the ball a lot for a QB back then that was not very common

If you were running as a QB in the 70's when the league still had FB's you were taking a beating.

Some of the hits to the head, late, and especially to the neck region that QB's took were brutal.

Watch the NFC Championship games that were played in the 70's, and the 76 SB. Totally different era

It is interesting you cannot watch those old games online as the NFL claims "copyright" but if fans were to watch them today you would see how much the league has changed.

I was thinking of the 1990 NFC championship game when Joe Montana was knocked out, obviously concussed, right back into the game.

The first 15 segments of the game deleted (copyright mind you)

When the league started instant replay and as the emphasis on the rules interpretation changed, modern QB's who place themselves above or in comparison with some of those previous QB's who did really revolutionize the game is not only arrogant but stupid. What gets me is that some of the guys that take the field with Mike Vick remember him as "old memories" their early memories of football.

But 70's football was TOTALLY different than what we see on the field today

Hard to believe that the 1990's NFC game is almost 1/4 century

Some of the 70's nearly 1/2 century ago

And then you hear some rookie about Vick as his hero? (laughable)

Vick doing his best to convince others and himself how he's been relevant in the NFL rather than some overrated .500 level RB injury prone turn over prone playing QB.

stfu Mike, you and your tarded brother can go F yourselves.

Vick is the micheal Jordan of football. If Jordan was a drunk who didn't practice or give a rats a** about winning or getting better.

Vicks skill level is off the charts. But that's about it.

it's safe to say he's a phenomenal athlete, and that's it. Track and field would have probably better suited his plethora of 'skills'.

Obviously Randall had a better career than Michael Vick. But i have to partially agree with him. He was the only QB in the NFL with over 1000 rushing yards in a single season back in 06. And ever since then, More QB's have been running the ball. Look at guys like Russel Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Or even Cam Newton. They can not only throw the ball but they can beat you with there legs too. Thats what im sure he means by revolutionizing the game. Because now more and more QB's are trying to do what he did. And i'm sure some of you have to remember that he is still currently the leading rusher for QB's.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822f640e/article/vick-breaks-cunninghams-nfl-record-for-qb-rushing-yards

had Cunningham not been what he was, no one is drafting Vick in the first round as a QB.

So glad he's not on the Eagles' roster anymore. Never wanted him in the first place.

Does Vick even understand the word "revolutionized"? Back when he was with the Falcons and the whole dog fighting thing was coming out, before he was arrested, he was in a local airport and the local TV Sports guy was following him through the terminal with a mic asking him questions.

One question was "Mike, do you think you'll be exonerated?" and Vick gave him the dirtiest look you could ever imagine, as if the reporter asked him if he thought he'd be "executed" or something like that. After the dirty look, he stopped answering questions and angrily turned away to get away from the reporter.

Does Vick even understand the word "revolutionized"? Back when he was with the Falcons and the whole dog fighting thing was coming out, before he was arrested, he was in a local airport and the local TV Sports guy was following him through the terminal with a mic asking him questions.

One question was "Mike, do you think you'll be exonerated?" and Vick gave him the dirtiest look you could ever imagine, as if the reporter asked him if he thought he'd be "executed" or something like that. After the dirty look, he stopped answering questions and angrily turned away to get away from the reporter.

Well the guy does have two weapons.

Well the guy does have two weapons.

There are three kinds of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't.

There are three kinds of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't.

And those with a cannon for an arm, can run like heyal, but can't hit the broadside of a barn like McNabb, oooooops, I mean Vick.

Vick seems to be a likable guy. He has more rushing yards than you could ever imagine a qb having. He went to prison. His madden character is legendary. He's hall of fame bound for sure. But to bad it will be I the video game wing of canton.

Mike Vick. All the potential in the world. None of the desire to become the best. Sorry he didn't revolutionize the game. Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton both did it better, and for much longer times.

Obviously Randall had a better career than Michael Vick. But i have to partially agree with him. He was the only QB in the NFL with over 1000 rushing yards in a single season back in 06. And ever since then, More QB's have been running the ball. Look at guys like Russel Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Or even Cam Newton. They can not only throw the ball but they can beat you with there legs too. Thats what im sure he means by revolutionizing the game. Because now more and more QB's are trying to do what he did. And i'm sure some of you have to remember that he is still currently the leading rusher for QB's.

http://www.nfl.com/n...b-rushing-yards

you realize randall had a 900 yard rushing season right? if anything more teams starting getting Running qbs like vick because of randall, randall is still second on the list for career rushing numbers by a qb to vick.

vick doesnt hold a candle to waht randall accomplished as far as revolutionizing the game, in 1990 randall threw for 3400+ yards 30 tds to 13 ints and rushed for 942 yards with 5 rushing tds, those are crazy numbers especially back then when defenses were actually allowed to play defenses and against some great redskins giants and cowboys defenses.

you realize randall had a 900 yard rushing season right? if anything more teams starting getting Running qbs like vick because of randall, randall is still second on the list for career rushing numbers by a qb to vick.

vick doesnt hold a candle to waht randall accomplished as far as revolutionizing the game, in 1990 randall threw for 3400+ yards 30 tds to 13 ints and rushed for 942 yards with 5 rushing tds, those are crazy numbers especially back then when defenses were actually allowed to play defenses and against some great redskins giants and cowboys defenses.

Yep. Crazy to think how strong the NFC East was back then. Makes the current NFC West look like a cupcake division.

http://espn.go.com/n...ile-quarterback

Mike says that he started it all. I have to disagree. Randall Cunningham in my eyes was the better Athletic QB. He could scramble, he could pass, he could punt, he could stay on the field.

In his 16 year career Randall only played 16 games in 3 seasons, including 2 season-ending injuries early in both of those seasons. As good as he was, Randall was fairly fragile.

In his 16 year career Randall only played 16 games in 3 seasons, including 2 season-ending injuries early in both of those seasons. As good as he was, Randall was fairly fragile.

he had two seasons that he missed significant time for injury, most the other missed games early and late in his career were when he was benched a back up or rotating.

Mcnabb was better than both. I remember a time where ppl compared Vick to Mcnabb. I laughed back then and still laugh now

thats still 2 more full seasons than Vick and the defense's could smash a QB anyway they wanted to then in or out of the pocket

Randall Cunningham for The HOF.

032713_cunningham_600.jpg

He really kick @$$ in Minnesota too.

Mcnabb was better than both. I remember a time where ppl compared Vick to Mcnabb. I laughed back then and still laugh now

McNabb was the better Eagle, but he can't compare to the season Randall had in Minnesota. My guess is Moss was better than TO, but Randall was the better passer and runner by far. Only thing McNabb had over Randall was coaching. All around great athlete goes to Randall. McNabb was more like McFlabb in the SuperBowl, too bad, even when he got flabby we still should have won. I think McNabb comes closest to winning the Jaworski SB Award than any of the other two. Vick isn't even in the same league as McNabb & Cunningham

I love Randall. Don't get me wrong. He's THE main reason I became an eagles fan. But he had 1 huge season in Minny and didnt even make the Super Bowl with a far superior team than the falcons. Say what u want about Anderson missing the fg. But those teams weren't even close talent wise and if Randall handled his business it shouldn't have been a game

Randall may have been more gifted. But Mcnabb had the better career

I love Randall. Don't get me wrong. He's THE main reason I became an eagles fan. But he had 1 huge season in Minny and didnt even make the Super Bowl with a far superior team than the falcons. Say what u want about Anderson missing the fg. But those teams weren't even close talent wise and if Randall handled his business it shouldn't have been a game

Randall may have been more gifted. But Mcnabb had the better career

randall threw for 2 tds and ran for another with zero ints completed 60% of his passes, he handled his business in that game, the vikings defense and special teams choked hard.

as for randall only having one huge season in philly im guessing you somehow missed the late 80's early 90's randall, you know the one who threw for 30 tds 3500 yards and ran for 900 yards and 5 more tds in 1990 and was second in mvp AP mvp voting to some guy named joe montanna.

all this against really good dallas redskin and giant defenses while playing behind the worst o-line in the league and without any real RBs and two rookie receivers. not too shabby.

sadly randall never made it to the big game,i think they beat the broncos if anderson doesnt choke.

Vick did indeed revolutionize the game. When Vick came into the league, there was no one on defense outside of CB's who could keep up with him. Vick had the ability to go inside or outside, flick his wrist and throw it 60+ yards. His running created the opportunity for the likes of Jamaal Andersen, Warrick Dunn, and T.J. Duckett. It forced teams to draft bigger, faster LB's who could run from sideline to sideline. This also changed how your safeties would be used. Again, Vick literally was not the impetus for the thoughts. But, he had a direct reflection in their employment. Defenses went to blitzing him, (which proved to be his Kyrptonite) and using multiple fronts, to confuse Vick. It worked. Vick is the fastest QB of them all. Vick probably has the strongest arm or a close 2nd to Randall. Vick throws the prettiest spiral of them all. Vick I'm sure knows he wasn't the 1st mobile running QB. I'm sure he knows some reasonable history of mobile QB's. Vick had DC's doing everything they could to try and slow him down. They schemed specifically for his talents, they drafted to combat against his athleticism. I'm not saying a defense was created to stop Vick. But, for a good 3/4 years, Vick was IT! Just for proof, Vick's peers have backed his initial greatness. So many players have directly linked their desire and style of the game to Vick. Not just RB's. But, QB's, CB's, WR's as well. Vick was as dynamic on the Football field as anyone ever.