Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ackid38

Michael Vick: 'I revolutionized' game

So a mediocre (at best) QB claims to have revolutionized the game? Usually someone that revolutionizes a position puts up some incredible numbers and defines the new "prototype" for the position. I don't think that's the case with Vick.

Career numbers:

Passing: 56.2% (tied for 94th all time), 21,489 yds (91st), 128 TD (93rd), 85 Int (137th), 80.9 rating (tied for 51st)

Rushing: 5,857 yds (88th), 36 TD (T 132nd), 91 fumbles (21st)

I don't see anything revolutionary with the numbers. I also don't believe NFL talent evaluators are changing their "prototype" for a QB to a super fast, 6 footer, with questionable accuracy, amazing arm strength, and fumblitis.

No doubt that Mike Vick had the potential to revolutionize the position when he was drafted into the NFL but that's as far as it went.

I think it was Fran Tarkenton, Doug Flutie , and Randall Cunningham revolutionized the game. Vick was must see T.V. He revolutionized ticket sales not the game. I love you Vick but get real buddy

So a mediocre (at best) QB claims to have revolutionized the game? Usually someone that revolutionizes a position puts up some incredible numbers and defines the new "prototype" for the position. I don't think that's the case with Vick.

Career numbers:

Passing: 56.2% (tied for 94th all time), 21,489 yds (91st), 128 TD (93rd), 85 Int (137th), 80.9 rating (tied for 51st)

Rushing: 5,857 yds (88th), 36 TD (T 132nd), 91 fumbles (21st)

I don't see anything revolutionary with the numbers. I also don't believe NFL talent evaluators are changing their "prototype" for a QB to a super fast, 6 footer, with questionable accuracy, amazing arm strength, and fumblitis.

No doubt that Mike Vick had the potential to revolutionize the position when he was drafted into the NFL but that's as far as it went.

Are those rushing ranks based only on Qbs or all players (including RBs)? If it includes RBs, then that's something to take note of considering he's the QB.

I agree that he didn't revolutionize the game, but he was one of the better runners from the QB position. He didn't have the passing ability to be revolutionary.

Vick did indeed revolutionize the game. When Vick came into the league, there was no one on defense outside of CB's who could keep up with him. Vick had the ability to go inside or outside, flick his wrist and throw it 60+ yards. His running created the opportunity for the likes of Jamaal Andersen, Warrick Dunn, and T.J. Duckett. It forced teams to draft bigger, faster LB's who could run from sideline to sideline. This also changed how your safeties would be used. Again, Vick literally was not the impetus for the thoughts. But, he had a direct reflection in their employment. Defenses went to blitzing him, (which proved to be his Kyrptonite) and using multiple fronts, to confuse Vick. It worked. Vick is the fastest QB of them all. Vick probably has the strongest arm or a close 2nd to Randall. Vick throws the prettiest spiral of them all. Vick I'm sure knows he wasn't the 1st mobile running QB. I'm sure he knows some reasonable history of mobile QB's. Vick had DC's doing everything they could to try and slow him down. They schemed specifically for his talents, they drafted to combat against his athleticism. I'm not saying a defense was created to stop Vick. But, for a good 3/4 years, Vick was IT! Just for proof, Vick's peers have backed his initial greatness. So many players have directly linked their desire and style of the game to Vick. Not just RB's. But, QB's, CB's, WR's as well. Vick was as dynamic on the Football field as anyone ever.

im pretty sure you wouldnt have to force any team to draft bigger and faster defensive players just cause of one guy, that was never that good. They always look for those players

Michael Vick: 'I revolutionized' game

He sure did. 11 years in the league and only started and finished 1 (7-9). He could write a book titled " How to play only 8 but get paid for 16 "

In his 16 year career Randall only played 16 games in 3 seasons, including 2 season-ending injuries early in both of those seasons. As good as he was, Randall was fairly fragile.

From 87-91 he never missed a game. 2 season ending injuries, is not fragile my friend. He Busted his knee in 91 and broke his leg in 93. in 92 he sat out the last game of the season(not injured). After that broken leg he was never the same again. He had that great year in minn(98) and that was it.

Vicks problems were he would get injured (out 2 games) play another 3 then out 4 and so on. He could never stay on the field.

im pretty sure you wouldnt have to force any team to draft bigger and faster defensive players just cause of one guy, that was never that good. They always look for those players

C'mon man, the game changes with the players... As the players improve so does the game. There are many instances to combat specific aggregate changes that have occurred. I never said the coaches and owners of the league drafted so and so because of Vick. Vick's athleticism, and speed played a part though. He was dynamic and so were other players.

Randall-SI.jpg

Vick was 9 years old at the time of this cover, so ... NO

All running QBs (Steve Young, Steve McNair, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, you name them, run much less as they evolve as a passer. Outside of about 8 weeks in 2010, Vick never has evolved.

Randall Cunningham in 1990 rushed for 942 yards and 5 TDs. In that same season he threw for over 3400 yards and 30 TDs. Mike Vick's 1000 yard season he only had 2 rushing TDs, only 2400 passing touchdowns and 20 passing TDs. So even in Vick's best season he comes up small to Randall.

Vick is obviously a legend in his own mind.

Too bad his highlight reels don't show him winning a championship.

According to Joe Willie Namath, Vick most-likely will get another chance to prove he can read defenses and slide (feet-first). Joe Willie stated that he doesn't see anything special about Geno Smith. Now ultimately the coaches are going to decide but, I think Joe's statements still carries some POP in New York.

vick doesnt hold a candle to waht randall accomplished as far as revolutionizing the game, in 1990 randall threw for 3400+ yards 30 tds to 13 ints and rushed for 942 yards with 5 rushing tds, those are crazy numbers especially back then when defenses were actually allowed to play defenses and against some great redskins giants and cowboys defenses.

Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcels, that was the most dominant division in football. 7 Super Bowl wins between those guys.

Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcels, that was the most dominant division in football. 7 Super Bowl wins between those guys.

Seven NFC East Super Bowls during Randall's 10 years in Philadelphia... :nonono:

According to Joe Willie Namath, Vick most-likely will get another chance to prove he can read defenses and slide (feet-first). Joe Willie stated that he doesn't see anything special about Geno Smith. Now ultimately the coaches are going to decide but, I think Joe's statements still carries some POP in New York.

Seriously?? Have you heard anything that has come out of that morons mouth since he came into the league?? Joe Namath is a joke.

Seriously?? Have you heard anything that has come out of that morons mouth since he came into the league?? Joe Namath is a joke.

Just saying, I think he's close enough to the team to know what's going on. Let's just see who starts and who doesn't. Moron he may be but, I think he knows something about the Quarter Back Position.

I have a simple rule that I live by. I never trust anything that a pantyhose wearing man has to say.

I have a simple rule that I live by. I never trust anything that a pantyhose wearing man has to say.

Honestly, Joe Namath has turned down more "kitty" than the combined members of this board will see in a lifetime....

I still think Suzy Kolber may have been Constitutionally obligated to kiss Namath..... :-)

Seven NFC East Super Bowls during Randall's 10 years in Philadelphia... :nonono:

It's why I still hold Randall higher than McNabb. He and Reid beat on a terrible division and went and allowed the Giants to win two when they couldn't win one.

Just saying, I think he's close enough to the team to know what's going on. Let's just see who starts and who doesn't. Moron he may be but, I think he knows something about the Quarter Back Position.

fair enough, I think Geno is terrible myself. So if im seeing it then definitely Namath is too so its not to bold of a prediction that the polarizing mike Vick gets the start

fair enough, I think Geno is terrible myself. So if im seeing it then definitely Namath is too so its not to bold of a prediction that the polarizing mike Vick gets the start

Yeah, So, he may get yet another chance to read defenses and slide feet first. The guy obvisously has more lives than a cat. I belive this is his final shot though.

Honestly, Joe Namath has turned down more "kitty" than the combined members of this board will see in a lifetime....

I still think Suzy Kolber may have been Constitutionally obligated to kiss Namath..... :-)

Agree. Joe said he watched that stocking, leggs, comercial one time and still til this day can't watch it again. :roll: I thought it was a little over the top too especially back then. But, thats what money does to yah.

Yeah, So, he may get yet another chance to read defenses and slide feet first. The guy obvisously has more lives than a cat. I belive this is his final shot though.

Agree. Joe said he watched that stocking, leggs, comercial one time and still til this day can't watch it again. :roll: I thought it was a little over the top too especially back then. But, thats what money does to yah.

not sure that Vick deserves another shot but, he was a good teammate here and played his a** off so I wouldnt mind watching him suit up for someone else who isnt the eagles lol

Back then felt for sure Randall was going to be the 1st 'black' QB to win the Super Bowl, but seemed like Doug came out of nowhere to get the prize.

dm_130113_dm_130113_nfl_doug_williams.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FakVVVFz2f4

Doug was the 'Rodney Dangerfield' of the NFL

Back then felt for sure Randall was going to be the 1st 'black' QB to win the Super Bowl, but seemed like Doug came out of nowhere to get the prize.

Doug was the 'Rodney Dangerfield' of the NFL

There might have been a different outcome to that game, had the refs properly ruled that sack a fumble. We'll never know though...