Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ackid38

ESPN suspends Stephen A. Smith over Ray Rice domestic abuse commentary

Everyone knows what he meant. Everyone knows he's right. Everyone knows there's more to the Ray Rice story than the public has been made aware of and that's precisely why the league went with a 2 game suspension. Rice and his attorneys wanted the entirety if the matter kept private in a wise move to sweep the thing under the rug and move on with life.

Everything else in this matter is fake outrage and bitterness over the fact that not even TMZ could deliver the entire story this time.

Exactly. Michelle beadle got upset, she sent out 3 angry tweets that purposely missed the point to get all the "war on women" feminists stirred up.

If Michelle goes without attacking Stephen A, creating a media firestorm, Stephen A would be on first take today.

Society doesn't like the idea that women can be abusive. When it was in a portrayed in a critically acclaimed made for TV film, it was banned due to outrage from women's groups.

The notion today... If you're bigger/stronger, you just have to take it.

No I do not condone hitting women. I also don't condone women hitting men either

Stephen A is a complete and utter moron. Like scary stupid.

That said, he's 100% right in what he said this time. Broken clock etc...

Women have a free pass to assault men and theres nothimg they can do about it besides go to jail

Dont see anyone making a big deal about Solange trying to karate kick Jay Z in the face. We all laughed.

Rush Limbaugh got crucified for his comments about McNabb which were nothing compared to this.....nice to see Political Correctness bite the Lefty's on the a** every now and then.

I was hoping for fired

Don't watch him. Could care less what he rants about. Skip Bayless is an idiot. I actually tried to watch that show 1 time. After 5 minutes I was surfing to find something to get their stupidity out of my mind. They did nothing but yell at one another for 4 strait minutes.

That said, he's 100% right in what he said this time. Broken clock etc...

Women have a free pass to assault men and theres nothimg they can do about it besides go to jail

Dont see anyone making a big deal about Solange trying to karate kick Jay Z in the face. We all laughed.

Link?

I think this is kind of ironic, because in my opinion it was Smith's attempt to be tactful that ended up shooting himself in the foot. I might be guilty of projection but I think what he really wanted to say was, that if you physically assault a man you might get hurt when he pushes you away. Instead he tried to be vague and left a wide hole for people to fill in whatever they thought he might be saying.

Here's his words*:

"But at the same time, we also have to make sure that we learn as much as we can about elements of provocation. Not that there’s real provocation, but the elements of provocation."

Stop beating around the bush Smith. What does provocation mean? Loud mouth behavior? Infidelity? What?

There are sources who have implied that Rice hurt his fiance while he was trying to stop her from continueing to assault him. In that context, questioning "provocation" is a lot more understandable. Smith didn't want to stick his neck out by saying what he really meant... he was trying to tiptoe because he knew he was walking on glass.

* I find it telling that so many of the articles expressing outrage about his opinion do not provide the actual quote. I had to search quite a bit to find it.

Stephen A Smith gets suspended 7 days of work for talking about Ray Rice hitting his wife.

Ray Rice gets suspended 2 days of work for hitting his wife.

Yeah, that's about right...

I think this is kind of ironic, because in my opinion it was Smith's attempt to be tactful that ended up shooting himself in the foot. I might be guilty of projection but I think what he really wanted to say was, that if you physically assault a man you might get hurt when he pushes you away. Instead he tried to be vague and left a wide hole for people to fill in whatever they thought he might be saying.

Here's his words*:

"But at the same time, we also have to make sure that we learn as much as we can about elements of provocation. Not that there

Here's his words*:

"But at the same time, we also have to make sure that we learn as much as we can about elements of provocation. Not that there’s real provocation, but the elements of provocation."

Stop beating around the bush Smith. What does provocation mean? Loud mouth behavior? Infidelity? What?

There are sources who have implied that Rice hurt his fiance while he was trying to stop her from continueing to assault him. In that context, questioning "provocation" is a lot more understandable. Smith didn't want to stick his neck out by saying what he really meant... he was trying to tiptoe because he knew he was walking on glass.

* I find it telling that so many of the articles expressing outrage about his opinion do not provide the actual quote. I had to search quite a bit to find it.

That was not the only quote that got him in hot water.

It’s not about him, then. It’s about you, and here’s what I mean by that. We keep talking about the guys. We know you have no business putting your hands on a woman. I don’t know how many times I got to reiterate that. But as a man who was raised by women, see I know what I’m going to do if somebody touches a female member of my family. I know what I’m going to do, I know what my boys are going to do. I know what, I’m going to have to remind myself that I work for the Worldwide Leader, I’m going to have to get law enforcement officials involved because of what I’m going to be tempted to do. But what I’ve tried to employ the female members of my family, some of who you all met and talked to and what have you, is that again, and this what, I’ve done this all my life, let’s make sure we don’t do anything to provoke wrong actions, because if I come, or somebody else come, whether it’s law enforcement officials, your brother or the fellas that you know, if we come after somebody has put their hands on you, it doesn’t negate the fact that they already put their hands on you. So let’s try to make sure that we can do our part in making sure that that doesn’t happen. Now you got some dudes that are just horrible and they’re going to do it anyway, and there’s never an excuse to put your hands on a woman. But domestic violence or whatever the case may be, with men putting their hands on women, is obviously a very real, real issue in our society. And I think that just talking about what guys shouldn’t do, we got to also make sure that you can do your part to do whatever you can do to make, to try to make sure it doesn’t happen. We know they’re wrong. We know they’re criminals. We know they probably deserve to be in jail. In Ray Rice’s case, he probably deserves more than a 2-game suspension which we both acknowledged. But at the same time, we also have to make sure that we learn as much as we can about elements of provocation. Not that there’s real provocation, but the elements of provocation, you got to make sure that you address them, because we’ve got to do is do what we can to try to prevent the situation from happening in any way. And I don’t think that’s broached enough, is all I’m saying. No point of blame. - See more at:

http://hiphopwired.com/2014/07/25/stephen-a-smith-says-women-shouldnt-provoke-being-beaten-video/2/#sthash.OVUExxcl.dpuf

Simply put, Stephen A. is an a55. We know that. When he opens his mouth ish comes out in droves. He should have just kept his mouth shut but instead he just got a case of the ishts.

What he is essentially doing is absolving himself if someone puts hands on the female members of his family while indirectly pointing the finger back at the women for being provocative.

You need to read it a couple of times because like everything that comes out of his mouth it makes very little sense.

But domestic violence or whatever the case may be, with men putting their hands on women, is obviously a very real, real issue in our society. And I think that just talking about what guys shouldn’t do, we got to also make sure that you can do your part to do whatever you can do to make, to try to make sure it doesn’t happen. We know they’re wrong. We know they’re criminals. We know they probably deserve to be in jail. In Ray Rice’s case, he probably deserves more than a 2-game suspension which we both acknowledged. But at the same time, we also have to make sure that we learn as much as we can about elements of provocation. Not that there’s real provocation, but the elements of provocation, you got to make sure that you address them, because we’ve got to do is do what we can to try to prevent the situation from happening in any way. And I don’t think that’s broached enough, is all I’m saying. No point of blame.

The guy deserves to be fired.

I think Whoopi Goldberg explained Stephen A's opinion light years better than he did. She was on The View, and she defended him in saying all he meant was no one should be hitting anyone, and she doesn't want young women growing up thinking it's fine for them to physically assault men because they aren't being held to the same standard of self-control. And she's right.

Beadle took his comments as he was saying women shouldn't wear mini-skirts because they are provoking men to rape or abuse them. Maybe this is just my opinion, but I don't think he was talking about that at all. What Ms. Beadle fails to comprehend, and maybe her prior experience with abuse prevents her from seeing the full picture, most people don't just start beating on people for no reason. Insulting someone, verbal abuse, and yes, women engaging in physical abuse can cause some men to physically assault them. It doesn't make it right, but it happens. It isn't right that if I walk around in Southeast DC I may get robbed, but the fact that it isn't right won't prevent someone from robbing me if I'm walking around in expensive clothes, jewelry and Jordans.

Stephen A just did a terrible job of expressing his thoughts and maybe if he said his statement better, it still wouldn't be popular to some groups of people but he wouldn't be suspended.

But domestic violence or whatever the case may be, with men putting their hands on women, is obviously a very real, real issue in our society. And I think that just talking about what guys shouldn’t do, we got to also make sure that you can do your part to do whatever you can do to make, to try to make sure it doesn’t happen. We know they’re wrong. We know they’re criminals. We know they probably deserve to be in jail. In Ray Rice’s case, he probably deserves more than a 2-game suspension which we both acknowledged. But at the same time, we also have to make sure that we learn as much as we can about elements of provocation. Not that there’s real provocation, but the elements of provocation, you got to make sure that you address them, because we’ve got to do is do what we can to try to prevent the situation from happening in any way. And I don’t think that’s broached enough, is all I’m saying. No point of blame.

The guy deserves to be fired.

Exactly what about that warrants him being fired, on a show that is supposed to be about debating different views? Wouldn't it be somewhat hypocritical to fire someone for having a different view?

We all know that Whoopi is an idiot. When she was going out with Ted Dansen they went to a party together and he was dressed in black face. After people got upset over the costume she got upset and broke up with him.

Exactly what about that warrants him being fired, on a show that is supposed to be about debating different views? Wouldn't it be somewhat hypocritical to fire someone for having a different view?

So you don't see the problem with his comments pointing the finger back at women?

What was the issue? Ray Rice's 2 game suspension or the way women dress?

I can debate the low suspension by using the elevator camera footage that we do not see and the conversation between the parties and Goodell.

....but drawing a line back to women by being provocative is just wrong on all levels.

We all know that Whoopi is an idiot. When she was going out with Ted Dansen they went to a party together and he was dressed in black face. After people got upset over the costume she got upset and broke up with him.

So you don't see the problem with his comments pointing the finger back at women?

What was the issue? Ray Rice's 2 game suspension or the way women dress?

I don't see how her poor romantic choices have anything to do with this, but ok.

He's not pointing the finger at women. He's not saying it's their fault they get abused. He says multiple times that men who do that are wrong and there is no excuse for them. All he's saying is basically protect yourself, because although there is no excuse for men who do that they will keep on doing it.

And you really didn't answer either of my questions. On a show that is supposed to be about debating different views, Wouldn't it be somewhat hypocritical to fire someone for having a different view?

What he is essentially doing is absolving himself

He's absolving himself by saying that Rice should have received a heavier punishment? He's not absolving anyone, it's crystal clear that he isn't absolving Rice

pointing the finger back at the women for being provocative.

perfect example of what I meant by Smith opening himself up for people to fill his mouth with their words. This isn't about being provocative. Provocative would be showing too much skin, or speaking a unpopular opinion, or being abrasive. From the context, this is clearly about being violent. He used the word provoke, but it's clear he meant the type of provoke that means.... the woman was, in her own words, physically violent. Violence is physically assaulting someone to cause physical pain. It's F'ing obvious that's what he's talking about but why let what we all know to be true get in the way of a SJW narrative.

Don't watch him. Could care less what he rants about. Skip Bayless is an idiot. I actually tried to watch that show 1 time. After 5 minutes I was surfing to find something to get their stupidity out of my mind. They did nothing but yell at one another for 4 strait minutes.

i was watching that show once as well, with my 2 year old son, he started getting agitated and throwing things and got all whiney, i changed the channel and have never watched it since. screamin a smith and skip bayless= listening to a whiny 2 year old.

It's possible to point fingers in more than one direction you know.

Smith didn't point the finger "back at" women. He pointed the finger at Rice. And then he tried to make the point that we also need to point at women who are violent. Your entire SJW rage rests on a false dichotomy.

I don't see how her poor romantic choices have anything to do with this, but ok.

He's not pointing the finger at women. He's not saying it's their fault they get abused. He says multiple times that men who do that are wrong and there is no excuse for them. All he's saying is basically protect yourself, because although there is no excuse for men who do that they will keep on doing it.

And you really didn't answer either of my questions. On a show that is supposed to be about debating different views, Wouldn't it be somewhat hypocritical to fire someone for having a different view?

I answered your questions. I cannot help that you have difficulties understanding the answers.