Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ackid38

Patriots trade Mallett to Texans

knew that was coming months ago I did think they would do better then a 6th though

Neither team is doing Mallett much favors trading him after the preseason is over. This should have been done in early training camp if the Texans want anything out of him.

Neither team is doing Mallett much favors trading him after the preseason is over. This should have been done in early training camp if the Texans want anything out of him.

It should've been done after the Patriots drafted Garoppolo.

It should've been done after the Patriots drafted Garoppolo.

I understand that line of thinking but I'm sure the Patriots were simply protecting themselves. Garappalo is incredibly raw prospect and they were likely very uncomfortable going into TC with him as the #2 QB. They have to do what's in the team's best interest first, then move from there. Obviously Garappalo's preseason play has convinced them that he is just as capable as Mallet so it was time to make the trade.

Now I wonder how long it will be before Mallet takes over the starting QB position? He already knows Bill O'Brien's offense so I suppose it'll be the small changes in route depth, verbage and timing. Hopefully the Texans can see what they need to see from Mallet before the season is over so they can go into the 2015 offseason with a clear plan of attack.

surprised all he could fetch was a 6th rounder, i mean aj feeley and kevin kolb fetched 2nd rounders, one would think mallet could fetch more than a sixth.

surprised all he could fetch was a 6th rounder, i mean aj feeley and kevin kolb fetched 2nd rounders, one would think mallet could fetch more than a sixth.

Lol I bet teams use these two as prime examples of why they won't give up a 2nd round pick for <insert average back up qb here> :lol:

The closer you get to the regular season, the value goes down because the player has to learn the offense, build a rapport with the other players and show he can be the team leader. Plus those other guys were brought into their respective teams to be the franchise QB while Mallett was not. Also Mallett only has one year left on his contract which further lowers his trade value.

Eagles probably wanted a good amount for Barkley considering there's still 3 years left on his contract, my guess would be Barkley gets shipped out sometime before the trade deadline once some teams get desperate for help.