rstarter

Ongoing Derek Carr Thread

I've asked this question before, but I'll ask it for clarity's sake: in your opinion who's the better QB, Nick Foles of Derek Carr? Who would you want starting for your team? This question is mainly for you pterp, though the regular headcases are free to contribute, positively or otherwise.

And I'm pretty sure I've answered it before. I'd rather have Foles. Without a doubt.

I've asked this question before, but I'll ask it for clarity's sake: in your opinion who's the better QB, Nick Foles of Derek Carr? Who would you want starting for your team? This question is mainly for you pterp, though the regular headcases are free to contribute, positively or otherwise.

The answer is Foles. Could it be Derek Carr in two years? Yeah sure. But I don't want the rookie I saw last year anywhere near my football team. He was part of the reason they were 2-14, some of his games were absolutely atrocious. Matter of fact, just give me Bridgewater.

If I need a QB with super human hearing, like to eaves drop a conversation, I'll call Derek Carr.

The answer is Foles. Could it be Derek Carr in two years? Yeah sure. But I don't want the rookie I saw last year anywhere near my football team. He was part of the reason they were 2-14, some of his games were absolutely atrocious. Matter of fact, just give me Bridgewater.

You'd rather have Bridgewater over Carr? Teddy looks like he could be a good QB, but I think Carr will be better.

You'd rather have Bridgewater over Carr? Teddy looks like he could be a good QB, but I think Carr will be better.

Bridgewater was by far the best rookie QB last year.

Bridgewater was by far the best rookie QB last year.

I disagree, I think Carr was as good if not better, but I think he'll continue to improve while Bridgewater will plateau soon.

I disagree, I think Carr was as good if not better, but I think he'll continue to improve while Bridgewater will plateau soon.

By what measurement? Aside from the garbage time tds because the Raiders were blown out so frequently Bridgewater was better pretty much across the board.

If you think Carr may end up better fine, that's your opinion. But to say he was as good or better last year is crazy.

By what measurement? Aside from the garbage time tds because the Raiders were blown out so frequently Bridgewater was better pretty much across the board.

If you think Carr may end up better fine, that's your opinion. But to say he was as good or better last year is crazy.

Oh so, Carr benefited from garbage time TDs but Bridgewater didn't? Just from watching them both play, I thought they were about equal, or maybe even giving the slight edge to Carr considering the circumstances. Statistically Carr didn't do as well, but I think they were close enough for me to believe he'll end up being the better QB when their careers are both over.

Missed in all of this is the fact that the Raiders faced the toughest schedule by far in 2014. In terms of raw tools, Derek Carr has the field beat. Terrific arm, incredible smarts, athletic. What does Foles have that Carr doesn't? Stats? 29-2? Please for anyone even entertaining that line of thinking, if 29-2 made you a good to great QB Foles would be starting for us right now. As it stands, that statline was pure, unadulterated fugazzi. Pixie dust if I've ever seen some.

Oh so, Carr benefited from garbage time TDs but Bridgewater didn't? Just from watching them both play, I thought they were about equal, or maybe even giving the slight edge to Carr considering the circumstances. Statistically Carr didn't do as well, but I think they were close enough for me to believe he'll end up being the better QB when their careers are both over.

Your giving Carr an edge because you like him. He has a good arm but his fundamentals are terrible. He didn't look close to Bridgewater playing QB. And I could care less about either of them.

Missed in all of this is the fact that the Raiders faced the toughest schedule by far in 2014. In terms of raw tools, Derek Carr has the field beat. Terrific arm, incredible smarts, athletic. What does Foles have that Carr doesn't? Stats? 29-2? Please for anyone even entertaining that line of thinking, if 29-2 made you a good to great QB Foles would be starting for us right now. As it stands, that statline was pure, unadulterated fugazzi. Pixie dust if I've ever seen some.

Why do you always bring up Foles? He's not even an Eagle anymore. Stop deflecting.

Why do you always bring up Foles? He's not even an Eagle anymore. Stop deflecting.

He is the reason why we didn't draft a QB(like Carr) in 2014 that Chip could hitch his wagon to. He is the reason Bradford is here. Oh how far we've come, from the days when the mere mention of Foles' name induced a sense of euphoria on this board. I hope this is the last time we get caught up hyping up a QB just by statistics. You've got to have a solid skillset to enjoy sustain success in the NFL.

Your giving Carr an edge because you like him. He has a good arm but his fundamentals are terrible. He didn't look close to Bridgewater playing QB. And I could care less about either of them.

I'm giving Carr the edge because my opinion is that he played just as well, but under worse circumstances.

He is the reason why we didn't draft a QB(like Carr) in 2014 that Chip could hitch his wagon to. He is the reason Bradford is here. Oh how far we've come, from the days when the mere mention of Foles' name induced a sense of euphoria on this board. I hope this is the last time we get caught up hyping up a QB just by statistics. You've got to have a solid skillset to enjoy sustain success in the NFL.

We would not have drafted Carr regardless imo.

Missed in all of this is the fact that the Raiders faced the toughest schedule by far in 2014. In terms of raw tools, Derek Carr has the field beat. Terrific arm, incredible smarts, athletic. What does Foles have that Carr doesn't? Stats? 29-2? Please for anyone even entertaining that line of thinking, if 29-2 made you a good to great QB Foles would be starting for us right now. As it stands, that statline was pure, unadulterated fugazzi. Pixie dust if I've ever seen some.

Good lord

You're acting as if the fans have anything to do with who the Eagles do or do not draft. Just because a some fans on a message board got excited at the prospect of possibly having found the next franchise QB, doesn't mean that Chip was obligated to pass on someone he thought may be his guy. If Chip listened to the fans, DJax, Shady and Mathis would still be here ... do you really think that he of all people would pass on someone who he thought could be a great QB, and continue to start one who he believed to be mediocre despite the stats, just to appease the fans?

If Chip wanted Carr, he'd have drafted him, regardless of whether or not Foles was on the roster.

Foles is not the reason Bradford is here and why we didn't draft Carr ... Chip is; he clearly didn't want to hitch his wagon to him.

Missed in all of this is the fact that the Raiders faced the toughest schedule by far in 2014. In terms of raw tools, Derek Carr has the field beat. Terrific arm, incredible smarts, athletic. What does Foles have that Carr doesn't? Stats? 29-2? Please for anyone even entertaining that line of thinking, if 29-2 made you a good to great QB Foles would be starting for us right now. As it stands, that statline was pure, unadulterated fugazzi. Pixie dust if I've ever seen some.

lmao Vick-scuses have returned 

Missed in all of this is the fact that the Raiders faced the toughest schedule by far in 2014.

Lost in that statement is that when you're one of the worst teams in the nfl, every team you face is tough.

In terms of raw tools, Derek Carr has the field beat.

Who is this "field" person? Is that what we're calling bridgewater now? Because Carr didn't beat him to be first team all-rookie.

incredible smarts

Still wondering where you come up with this.

What does Foles have that Carr doesn't? .

You know what? I don't even need to say all the things he has that Carr doesn't. I'll just say one that's important.

Balls.

Carr's insanely pathetic ypa shows that he has no balls. What good is his arm talent if he doesn't have the balls to use it? His immense fear to throw the ball down the field to anybody except that backshoulder sideline pass is destructive to that team. His fear to make a throw that's not a dump-off is his failure and his alone.

What good is your qbs sparkling arm talent and agility (which btw is very average) if you don't have the balls to cut it loose? I'm not even comparing him to foles anymore. He doesn't play for this team. Carr has no balls.

Ya but Carr has dat arm talent doe, incredibly smart, like einstien smart... Dat ear talent.. He can hear worms under his feet in the soil, his release is as quick as a lightning strike! His fingers are soft and delicate on that pigskin it delivers THE perfect spiral.. His athletic ability is like wowzers.. He COULD run a 4.4 40 if need be.. Did you see his pass to G last season? Could Foalz do dat?

29-2?! Pffft lucky the entire North America and NFL was on angel dust. Only reason he achieved such a feat.

Now tell me wot Foalz can do.. Im waiting... Try not to back pedal y'all.

Oh so, Carr benefited from garbage time TDs but Bridgewater didn't?

Bridgewater really didn't.

Bridgewater threw 14 TDs in 12 games. Of those 14 TDs, none of them came in the waning seconds of a game where they were trailing by 10+ points.  The closest one was a TD against the Packers when they were down 11 that he threw with over 3 minutes left, on a drive that started with 8 minutes left.  So that's hardly garbage time.

Compared to Carr.  Carr threw 21 TDs, but of those 21 he had:

1) TD against Houston, down by 23, TD thrown with 17 seconds left in game

2) TD against Browns, down 17, TD thrown with 7 seconds left in game.

3) TD against Broncos, down 31, TD thrown with 48 seconds left in game

4) TD against Chiefs, down 25, TD thrown with 34 seconds left in game

And then there was a TD against the Jets that while maybe not in garbage time, were definitely in prevent defense time.  Down 12 with the drive starting with about 2:30 left. And a TD against Seattle down 13 that was made with just under 2 minutes left in the game on a drive that started with about 4 minutes left. So while these may not be garbage time, it was prevent defense time which obviously makes it easier for a QB to dink and dunk down the field to get in scoring position. 

Not to mention that 5 of his TDs came on throws from the 1 yard line. 

Bridgewater really didn't.

Bridgewater threw 14 TDs in 12 games. Of those 14 TDs, none of them came in the waning seconds of a game where they were trailing by 10+ points. The closest one was a TD against the Packers when they were down 11 that he threw with over 3 minutes left, on a drive that started with 8 minutes left. So that's hardly garbage time.

Compared to Carr. Carr threw 21 TDs, but of those 21 he had:

1) TD against Houston, down by 23, TD thrown with 17 seconds left in game

2) TD against Browns, down 17, TD thrown with 7 seconds left in game.

3) TD against Broncos, down 31, TD thrown with 48 seconds left in game

4) TD against Chiefs, down 25, TD thrown with 34 seconds left in game

And then there was a TD against the Jets that while maybe not in garbage time, were definitely in prevent defense time. Down 12 with the drive starting with about 2:30 left. And a TD against Seattle down 13 that was made with just under 2 minutes left in the game on a drive that started with about 4 minutes left. So while these may not be garbage time, it was prevent defense time which obviously makes it easier for a QB to dink and dunk down the field to get in scoring position.

Not to mention that 5 of his TDs came on throws from the 1 yard line.

Fair enough, but if we're going to dive that deep into the TDs to determine the difficulty in which they were attained, we should also look at the quality of teams each QB faced. On first glance, it looks as if Carr faced much tougher defenses.

Was he? Remember, a lot of Carr's stats came at the end of games when the other team went into carrbage time.

Will he improve and be a good NFL QB? Very possible. Will he be the greatest QB ever drafted into the NFL in all of NFL history? I'd say, not likely.