rstarter

Ongoing Derek Carr Thread

Is Aaron Rodgers in the top 100?

Missed in all of this is the fact that the Raiders faced the toughest schedule by far in 2014. In terms of raw tools, Derek Carr has the field beat. Terrific arm, incredible smarts, athletic. What does Foles have that Carr doesn't? Stats? 29-2? Please for anyone even entertaining that line of thinking, if 29-2 made you a good to great QB Foles would be starting for us right now. As it stands, that statline was pure, unadulterated fugazzi. Pixie dust if I've ever seen some.

Raw tools a QB does not make. Joe Montana and Tom Brady are two of the least atheltic QBs of the last 30 years. Arm strength, bulk, speed, mobility, power, evasiveness.... you name it, they don't got it. I'll take decision making and accuracy any day. I've seen Foles make some dumb decisions while he was here, but Carr did stuff his rookie year that isn't even comprehensible. 

Raw tools a QB does not make. Joe Montana and Tom Brady are two of the least atheltic QBs of the last 30 years. Arm strength, bulk, speed, mobility, power, evasiveness.... you name it, they don't got it. I'll take decision making and accuracy any day. I've seen Foles make some dumb decisions while he was here, but Carr did stuff his rookie year that isn't even comprehensible.

Come on, be fair. You didn't think the decision to pass to his lineman when he was in trouble reeked of pure genius?

Was he? Remember, a lot of Carr's stats came at the end of games when the other team went into carrbage time.

Will he improve and be a good NFL QB? Very possible. Will he be the greatest QB ever drafted into the NFL in all of NFL history? I'd say, not likely.

Obviously not. My only contention was that I'd rather have him than Bridgewater.

He didn't make the top 100 at all?!? :o

Obviously he was #1. But since it wasn't fair to all the other NFL players its unofficially known as the Derek Carr award for the Top 100 NFL players countdown. So 1st is actually 2nd. Its science!

Obviously he was #1. But since it wasn't fair to all the other NFL players its unofficially known as the Derek Carr award for the Top 100 NFL players countdown. So 1st is actually 2nd. Its science!

When your talent transcends the space time continuum, you don't need to be on such petty lists.

Not only in the top 100, the #1 ranked QB (#2 overall).

Hmm. But Carr wasn't on the list at all? Wait, that can't be right can it?

Obviously not. My only contention was that I'd rather have him than Bridgewater.

Take everything in this thread as sarcasm. rstarter actually said Carr will prove to be one of the greatest draft picks in the history of the NFL, that's what VA referenced.

I honestly have no opinion on Bridgewater, other than the fact that there's water under a lot of the bridges that I drive over.

Ya but Carr has dat arm talent doe, incredibly smart, like einstien smart... Dat ear talent.. He can hear worms under his feet in the soil, his release is as quick as a lightning strike! His fingers are soft and delicate on that pigskin it delivers THE perfect spiral.. His athletic ability is like wowzers.. He COULD run a 4.4 40 if need be.. Did you see his pass to G last season? Could Foalz do dat?

29-2?! Pffft lucky the entire North America and NFL was on angel dust. Only reason he achieved such a feat.

Now tell me wot Foalz can do.. Im waiting... Try not to back pedal y'all.

:thumbsup:

I honestly have no opinion on Bridgewater, other than the fact that there's water under a lot of the bridges that I drive over.

:roll:

Tom Brady??? Tom Brady has one of the most lethal arms in the NFL. In fact I'd only put Rodgers ahead of him, and if you were to only consider arm strength as a trait on its own Brady is in a class of his own. Not many QBs can throw the ball 70 yards in the air during a game. If I haven't said it already, in terms of arm talent I'd put it (1) Rodgers (2) Brady (3) Carr (4) Luck.

Tom Brady??? Tom Brady has one of the most lethal arms in the NFL. In fact I'd only put Rodgers ahead of him, and if you were to only consider arm strength as a trait on its own Brady is in a class of his own. Not many QBs can throw the ball 70 yards in the air during a game. If I haven't said it already, in terms of arm talent I'd put it (1) Rodgers (2) Brady (3) Carr (4) Luck.

Brady's college scouting reports said that he lacked a strong arm and lacked the ability to drive the ball down the field. If he would have had natural arm talent in college, he wouldn't have fell to the 6th round.

He didn't have good arm strength coming out of college. He was extremely un-athletic. He worked on his arm strength and made great improvements there as well as making great improvements on his general strength and functional mobility.

NFL.com's 10 strongest arms, no Tom brady

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000400156/article/matthew-stafford-leads-list-of-top-10-strongest-arms

Bleacher Report has him at 18

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1266536-power-ranking-the-arm-strength-of-all-32-nfl-starting-qbs/page/16

Madden's top 10, no Brady:

http://madden-player-ratings.pointafter.com/stories/2949/nfl-quarterbacks-strongest-arms-according-madden-nfl-15#11-matthew-stafford-detroit-lions

EVERYONE knows Brady has one of the weaker arms in the NFL, this is common knowledge. Yet you claim that every single person is wrong except for you. You're hurting your cred here Rstartr.

Brady has had a lesser arm since college, and while it's gotten stronger as he's aged, he's still not near the top of the NFL. On top of that he's gotten wildly inaccurate with his deep balls as he's gotten older:

http://nesn.com/2014/10/scout-tom-brady-has-worst-deep-ball-in-nfl-best-short-yardage-qb/

He is not a great deep passer. 

Now you show me ANY concrete data showing he has the second strongest arm in the NFL. Stafford throws much farther, Flacco throws much farther, you literally just made up that list on the spot. You keep telling people to watch the games, but if you actually watched the games you'd know that saying Brady has a stronger arm than Matt Stafford is Looney Tunes.

For awhile, I've genuinely thought you saw something that other people didn't in Derek Carr. That when he turned it around you would be lauded for this thread. But after making this statement about Tom Brady, I've come to realize that you are just another dumb@$$ TATEr making crap up.

Goto 40m 08s. Very, very few QBs can throw that kind of ball. Btw wasn't Brady drafted by an MLB as a pitcher?

Goto 40m 08s. Very, very few QBs can throw that kind of ball. Btw wasn't Brady drafted by an MLB as a pitcher?

Average arm. Great qb.

Goto 40m 08s. Very, very few QBs can throw that kind of ball. Btw wasn't Brady drafted by an MLB as a pitcher?

Manziel was drafted by the Padres. He doesn't have a strong arm. The MLB draft is full of picks where a team just takes a flier on a guy who they know has almost a 0% chance of ever actually playing.

Manziel was drafted by the Padres. He doesn't have a strong arm. The MLB draft is full of picks where a team just takes a flier on a guy who they know has almost a 0% chance of ever actually playing.

Was he drafted for his pitching, or for something else?

A sporting news study in 2014, FWIW

Brady was fifth in arm strength, seventh in accuracy, seventh in mobility (beaten only by the even more sluggish Peyton Manning), sixth in pocket presence and fifth in intangibles. His aggregate score left him well on the bottom of the heap, with 15 points according to the Sporting News’ scoring, compared to the first-place total of 28 for Manning, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson.

And then NFL.com last year ranked the QBs by arm strength:

Matthew Stafford leads list of top 10 strongest arms

1 Stafford

2 Jay Cutler

3 Flacco

4 Rogers

5 Kaepernick

6 Cam

7 Big Ben

8 Luck

9 RGKnee

10 Bortles