rstarter

Ongoing Derek Carr Thread

While the QB you see in year 2 is very rarely a finished product, it doesn't mean that you can't perform your own extrapolations based on the skills the QB currently has. I'm not going to go over the bulk of arguments I made against making Foles the long term starter. However, I will say that a Foles ten years improved under Chip will not have the arm strength that Carr had even as a redshirt sophomore, and that was my main gripe with Foles. My deal with Foles/Carr before the draft had more to do with the windfall gain a trade-4-picks involving Foles would've gotten us. His 2013 campaign was greatly aided by Chip's offense, a fact that we'll more than likely see in the next couple of years.

I don't think that anyone denies that his campaign was greatly aided by Chip ... the point was, since at the time he was continuing to play under Chip, he'd proven that he was capable of running the offense at a high level.

And no way would anyone have given up FOUR picks for Foles.

He thinks Foles sucks, but that a team would have given up multiple draft picks to acquire him.  RTK and a few others made the same claim.   :wacko:

I don't think that anyone denies that his campaign was greatly aided by Chip ... the point was, since at the time he was continuing to play under Chip, he'd proven that he was capable of running the offense at a high level.

And no way would anyone have given up FOUR picks for Foles.

Quick exercise if I said I'd be interested in a PS4 trade-4-cash, would that mean I'd give you $4 for the item in question?

Quick exercise if I said I'd be interested in a PS4 trade-4-cash, would that mean I'd give you $4 for the item in question?

Gotcha, misread on my part. 

Nope. He has now begun to hedge his bets in case Carr chokes vs a **** team.

Which is bs. If he's a franchise qb, he should ball out and crush vs weak teams. Am I right?

Did Derek Carr graduate from mini Aaron Rodgers status to elite in "no time," ?

Don't you ever mention Aaron Rodgers' name in the same breath as the great Derek Carr again. 

Nope. He has now begun to hedge his bets in case Carr chokes vs a **** team.

Which is bs. If he's a franchise qb, he should ball out and crush vs weak teams. Am I right?

I'm just trying to play it modest. I told y'all about DC, but of course Foles is a much better QB right Gary. 

I'm just trying to play it modest. I told y'all about DC, but of course Foles is a much better QB right Gary. 

When Carr has done some of the things Foles has done in the NFL, then you can make a statement like that.

I'm just trying to play it modest. I told y'all about DC,

You've told us a lot of things. Many of which have been proven to be incorrectly. Many of which are laughably incorrect. Don't be all shy now.

but of course Foles is a much better QB right

And yet you STILL, after 2 and a half years, have no proof or credible reason to say why Carr is better than foles. That might be the funniest thing of them all.

You've got nothing. You never have. I don't think you ever will. And it's not even because there aren't any. It's because your evaluation of qbs and how they project from the college to the nfl level is so piss-poor godawful that you can't have a legitimate conversation with anybody about Carr or foles or luck or arm strength or audibles or footwork or reading defenses or pocket presence or mobility or leadership or just about anything having to do with the qb position.

How many times have I personally corrected you about Carr? And foles? Let alone everybody else who frequents this thread? Let alone about things like arm strength and accuracy and footwork?

Why don't you tell the class about how because a pass "drops in the bucket" that it travels less far than a pass on a line? Why don't you tell the class how a qb doesn't need a good steady consistent passing platform to throw from to succeed? Why don't you tell the class how nick Marshall was a 2nd round draft pick talent...... At qb. These are all things you've "told us" about as well. Is that a good look?

You've told us a lot of things. Many of which have been proven to be incorrectly. Many of which are laughably incorrect. Don't be all shy now.

And yet you STILL, after 2 and a half years, have no proof or credible reason to say why Carr is better than foles. That might be the funniest thing of them all.

You've got nothing. You never have. I don't think you ever will. And it's not even because there aren't any. It's because your evaluation of qbs and how they project from the college to the nfl level is so piss-poor godawful that you can't have a legitimate conversation with anybody about Carr or foles or luck or arm strength or audibles or footwork or reading defenses or pocket presence or mobility or leadership or just about anything having to do with the qb position.

How many times have I personally corrected you about Carr? And foles? Let alone everybody else who frequents this thread? Let alone about things like arm strength and accuracy and footwork?

Why don't you tell the class about how because a pass "drops in the bucket" that it travels less far than a pass on a line? Why don't you tell the class how a qb doesn't need a good steady consistent passing platform to throw from to succeed? Why don't you tell the class how nick Marshall was a 2nd round draft pick talent...... At qb. These are all things you've "told us" about as well. Is that a good look?

Look at this joke. You mean to tell me that after I warned y'all about Foles, and suggested offloading him while his going rate was vastly higher than his real value; after I warned y'all about his inability to make certain throws (especially in tight coverage). After all this, and after every, single one of his weaknesses was exposed in 2014 before being traded for a twice-injured former 1st rounder (with elite arm strength :smoke: , a quick release and even quicker decision making process), and I'm the one that doesn't know anything about the QB position?

First, with Foles' arm strength the only way he can get a ball to travel farther is by putting a lot of air under it. What this essentially produces is a ball that doesn't get to it's destination quickly. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMTtl_7aTR0

Now, if you want to take that 40 yard throw as an example of elite/good arm strength that's your prerogative. But don't forget to explain why he didn't deliver it on a rope like most seam passes are supposed to be delivered.

As for Nick Marshall, I did give him a 2nd-round grade early on in the college season. The offense he played for hardly put any emphasis on solid footwork, and that was his main downfall. By the time the CFL season was over, my opinion had evolved, if you will.

It didn't evolve just like you haven't evolved. It merely changed to fit your ignorant narrative.

Anybody with a tiny bit of brain power could tell that nick Marshall, AT NO POINT, was not an nfl qb. Not at the beginning of his last season. Not midway. Not after their bowl game. I mean damn.... You tried to compare him to Cam Newton and wondered why Cam was drafted high and why Marshall shouldn't be.

Wait.... Hold up....

Check!

I gotta lol real quick.

L

O

L

You don't evolve. Your narrative changes to fit what you want so you don't sound more wrong than you usually are.

Look at your post above. See, now your narrative of "Foles = no arm strength" has changed. You're trying to sound smart and only now does it look halfway retarded as before it was full blown ****.

See, at first it was "Foles lacks arm strength to complete deep passes!"

After this was proven that you were a moron, it changed to,

"Foles' can't throw a hard pass"

Someone actually showed that during his draft, he threw the hardest (or was it top 3?) of all the guys in his draft class and the year before.

Then it became,

"Foles can't throw a pass down the seam because his passes have too much air."

Again, proven wrong.

How about how Carr is smarter than Foles because (lol) Foles doesn't audible/change the play? Even after it's been shown that rarely does chip want that to happen at all. And also, that obviously, as shown a page ago, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS OR ISNT A CHANGE OF THE PLAY?

L

M

A

O

It didn't evolve just like you haven't evolved. It merely changed to fit your ignorant narrative.

Anybody with a tiny bit of brain power could tell that nick Marshall, AT NO POINT, was not an nfl qb. Not at the beginning of his last season. Not midway. Not after their bowl game. I mean damn.... You tried to compare him to Cam Newton and wondered why Cam was drafted high and why Marshall shouldn't be.

Wait.... Hold up....

Check!

I gotta lol real quick.

L

O

L

You don't evolve. Your narrative changes to fit what you want so you don't sound more wrong than you usually are.

Look at your post above. See, now your narrative of "Foles = no arm strength" has changed. You're trying to sound smart and only now does it look halfway retarded as before it was full blown ****.

See, at first it was "Foles lacks arm strength to complete deep passes!"

After this was proven that you were a moron, it changed to,

"Foles' can't throw a hard pass"

Someone actually showed that during his draft, he threw the hardest (or was it top 3?) of all the guys in his draft class and the year before.

Then it became,

"Foles can't throw a pass down the seam because his passes have too much air."

Again, proven wrong.

How about how Carr is smarter than Foles because (lol) Foles doesn't audible/change the play? Even after it's been shown that rarely does chip want that to happen at all. And also, that obviously, as shown a page ago, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS OR ISNT A CHANGE OF THE PLAY?

L

M

A

O

With training camp around the corner I began wondering what each QB would need to improve upon to better their respective chances of being the current/future QB going forward.

#9 - Nick Foles

Arm strength and mechanics: No one doubts Foles's ability to heave the ball 60 yards downfield. His problem is more to do with how the ball floats in the air, which makes him more apt to be picked off. He definitely has the physical dimensions to be a starting caliber QB for the next 15 years, and I feel that if he can improve to the point where he has a Aaron Rodgers/Ryan Mallet type arm he'll be one helluva QB.

Throwing the ball away: While he technically does get the ball out if faced with pressure, I've seen more than one occasion where he gets rid of the ball so late that he ends up throwing it to the opposing team. It's a problem that followed him from his years in Arizona. He doesn't have the speed to run, but if he can get a better sense of awareness to get the ball out quicker it will definitely cut down on unnecessary TOs.

Notice the date of the comment. How are you going to make throws down the seam like you're attempting a fade route. Again, I ask you what does Foles do better than Carr? Lemme guess, 29-2 right? Pro Bowl MVP, jersey's next to Manning's in the HOF? If we're going to justify a player's position as an NFL starter based on fluke seasons like that, then we should have no problem starting Cooper until retirement based on what he did in the same year, no?

Lets play how to evaluate the qb!

So rstarter..... On the gif you just showed of Nick foles. What do YOU think is (are) the reason(s?) of why that pass was intercepted?

You can break it down however you like.

See #3789.

Is that your final answer? Last chance to show how you're so smart in your qb evaluation. I don't want to show you how wrong you are but I will (yet again) if I have to.

Check!

Also keep in mind, I asked for your evaluation. Not a quote of what someone else said/wrote like (you did in the post above). Your own, personal, unbiased, qb evaluation of that play.

Lets play how to evaluate the qb!

So rstarter..... On the gif you just showed of Nick foles. What do YOU think is (are) the reason(s?) of why that pass was intercepted?

You can break it down however you like.

What is, "he didn't throw it to an interior lineman" for 100, alex....

with Foles' arm strength the only way he can get a ball to travel farther is by putting a lot of air under it. What this essentially produces is a ball that doesn't get to it's destination quickly.

*sigh* this is your final answer and of course it sucks and at best is an incomplete or a D- as a grade. It really doesn't go into detail of anything that has to do with play or why it was intercepted.

5008653644d21822a88edf825ff08965.gif

Biggest problem with this play is his footwork. Probably 75% of the reason it was picked is because that's what caused the pass to float. He threw the ball off his backfoot. That's probably reason #1 why most passes are picked off. The qb throws it off his backfoot and is unable to drive it to the location and it also loses accuracy. The above pass was all arm and without proper weight transfer, instead of diving down, it floats.

The read wasn't that great although I can't actually tell if Foles tried to look off the safety with the gif cutoff as it was. Also, with pressure coming in his face, you can possibly see why he felt he couldn't step up with a lineman almost in his lap. The receiver was open and foles got it out at the right time. But without being able to step up and drive the ball into the intended area, the safety was able to come off his area and have the time to pick it off.

75% footwork

20% didn't look the safety off enough (still can't really tell if he tried)

5% didn't move the fullback over

*sigh* this is your final answer and of course it sucks and at best is an incomplete or a D- as a grade. It really doesn't go into detail of anything that has to do with play or why it was intercepted. 5008653644d21822a88edf825ff08965.gif

Biggest problem with this play is his footwork. Probably 75% of the reason it was picked is because that's what caused the pass to float. He threw the ball off his backfoot. That's probably reason #1 why most passes are picked off. The qb throws it off his backfoot and is unable to drive it to the location and it also loses accuracy. The above pass was all arm and without proper weight transfer, instead of diving down, it floats.

The read wasn't that great although I can't actually tell if Foles tried to look off the safety with the gif cutoff as it was. Also, with pressure coming in his face, you can possibly see why he felt he couldn't step up with a lineman almost in his lap. The receiver was open and foles got it out at the right time. But without being able to step up and drive the ball into the intended area, the safety was able to come off his area and have the time to pick it off.

75% footwork

20% didn't look the safety off enough (still can't really tell if he tried)

5% didn't move the fullback over

It's 50% not yelling "check",

50% not finding the open interior lineman.

Don't over complicate it...