rstarter

Ongoing Derek Carr Thread

Ah, the idiot rears his head. Yo quick question, if you had to start a franchise, by your estimation, Foles would be your choice of QB right? Right???? I thought Foles would last the entire season, but my goodness I couldn't have imagined this stuff up. Not only that, the keys have been handed to Case Keenum. Case Fn Keenum??!!!! Forget Carr, whose the better QB Foles or Keenum? 

This is going to be so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nick Foles, Franchise QB? What a JOKE!!!

Foles is a QB like many others that played very well and deserved another year.  I've said it before, it is incredibly tough for NFL franchises to find a legit long term starter at QB.  When someone displays success AT THE NFL LEVEL teams hang onto them.  Heck look what Matt Flynn did, he played 1 or 2 games filling in for Rodgers and landed a nice free agent contract.  That type of thing happens.  

Draft picks are never guaranteed.  They are risky.  Every single year people have to rehash the arguments about bust QBs that were supposed to be great.  There are more busts than successes.  Strong arms, impressive college resume, none of that stuff matters when you get to the NFL.  JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and the endless list of guys who were supposed to be great.  

If a team has what they believe is their answer at QB, they typically don't draft a QB high.  They draft one in rounds 3 or 4 to develop.  All 32 teams passed on Carr in the draft, including QB desperate teams.  The Eagles organization felt Foles was worth giving another year, and they signed Sanchez as a security backup.  They didn't want to draft Derek Carr.  I don't know why you're so mad at fans for liking the 2013 performance of Foles and thinking it was worth building around when the front office felt the same way.

You also keep forgetting that you yourself said that Foles was playing so well and with his stats (though you dismiss stats otherwise) made it moot to draft a QB high that year.  YOU SAID THAT.

You also keep forgetting that you yourself said that Foles was playing so well and with his stats (though you dismiss stats otherwise) made it moot to draft a QB high that year.  YOU SAID THAT.

The context is necessary NOTW. For one, I was alluding to how good a skill set Carr had, that I would be willing to trade that production for a "relative unknown" in Carr. I was also paying Foles some credit, while also underpinning my assertion that we could trade him and get something tangible out of it. Heck, possibly even a first round pick. It was meant more to counter the inevitable argument of why I thought we could get a first round pick for Foles. But at the end of the day, my opinion on what Foles was, and is, has remained unchanged. Can you imagine what would've transpired if Roseman orchestrated a trade where we got a first round pick for Foles, and this happened? It would've been pandemonium for the other party!

The context is necessary NOTW. For one, I was alluding to how good a skill set Carr had, that I would be willing to trade that production for a "relative unknown" in Carr. I was also paying Foles some credit, while also underpinning my assertion that we could trade him and get something tangible out of it. Heck, possibly even a first round pick. It was meant more to counter the inevitable argument of why I thought we could get a first round pick for Foles. But at the end of the day, my opinion on what Foles was, and is, has remained unchanged. Can you imagine what would've transpired if Roseman orchestrated a trade where we got a first round pick for Foles, and this happened? It would've been pandemonium for the other party!

Your words in a stand alone post were that drafting a QB was moot because of Foles.  In other posts, you suggested trading him for a pick and drafting Carr, yes.  But that's my point, your posts often come across as contradictory.

Your words in a stand alone post were that drafting a QB was moot because of Foles.  In other posts, you suggested trading him for a pick and drafting Carr, yes.  But that's my point, your posts often come across as contradictory.

The post came from the DC IWTETG thread. I said that only in the way that you can piece a couple of my prior statements and attribute something to me where I say Case Keenum is an elite QB. Context counts for something. I'll send a PM to the moderators over in that section, and see if there's a way they can dig up exactly what I said, in it's proper context, in full.

The post came from the DC IWTETG thread. I said that only in the way that you can piece a couple of my prior statements and attribute something to me where I say Case Keenum is an elite QB. Context counts for something. I'll send a PM to the moderators over in that section, and see if there's a way they can dig up exactly what I said, in it's proper context, in full.

You don't need mods.  Weren't you just blabbering about 3 fingers and a brain to search?

Here, let me do it for you.  Here's a link.  Because it's a locked thread, it goes to the beginning instead of the post.  Go to page 8, post #220 made on 02 May 2014.

Full post:  basically you said you hope Howie drafts Carr despite having Foles.  Makes it sound like they should keep Foles because of his great year, and you hope that they'll also draft Carr because you love him.  No mention of trading Foles for a 1st in this post.

First, I liked your post because it was very matter-of-fact and didn't come off as snide. Now, I've been listening to Howie for about 4 months now harp on about the BPA philosophy, and how myopic it would be to regard team positions -- regardless of how strong they are -- as above improvement. Admittedly, Foles is a good QB; so good in fact that his previous year's stats are making moot any ideas of drafting a QB early this year.

However, we've seen how quickly fortunes can change for team's that too quickly consign to a particular QB (Josh Freeman). Carr, whether people want to cop to it or not, is a more cerebral QB than Foles is, and is a much better thrower of the football than he is. He is also more athletic, and throughout his collegiate career managed to display a consistency in improvement, both in his understanding of the scheme(s) and in his production.

Look, even I have to admit the incredible odds that are against the Eagles drafting a QB in the first, much less Carr. At the same time though, Carr is one helluva QB, and I'm holding out hope that the FO is in some way aware of that.

The FO didn't draft Carr.  Whaaaaaaaaaa.

First, I liked your post because it was very matter-of-fact and didn't come off as snide. Now, I've been listening to Howie for about 4 months now harp on about the BPA philosophy, and how myopic it would be to regard team positions -- regardless of how strong they are -- as above improvement. Admittedly, Foles is a good QB; so good in fact that his previous year's stats are making moot any ideas of drafting a QB early this year.

However, we've seen how quickly fortunes can change for team's that too quickly consign to a particular QB (Josh Freeman). Carr, whether people want to cop to it or not, is a more cerebral QB than Foles is, and is a much better thrower of the football than he is. He is also more athletic, and throughout his collegiate career managed to display a consistency in improvement, both in his understanding of the scheme(s) and in his production.

Look, even I have to admit the incredible odds that are against the Eagles drafting a QB in the first, much less Carr. At the same time though, Carr is one helluva QB, and I'm holding out hope that the FO is in some way aware of that.

Look, even I have to admit the incredible odds that are against the Eagles drafting a QB in the first, much less Carr.

Just let it go.  You set up your position back then that Foles is good, but so is Carr and you'd like them to draft Carr.  Then when they didn't, you cried like a scorned lover and went on a rampage against anyone that liked Foles, finding ways to bring up a Carr/Foles debate in just about any topic.  Special teams are the best in the NFL?  rstarter is here to tell you how the team could be even better with Carr.  Bradley Fletcher stinks?  You know who doesn't stink, Derek Carr.  Should they wear black uniforms against the Giants?  Speaking of black uniforms, have you seen Carr in a Raiders uniform?  Good lord that arm, wish he were here.

Yo quick question, if you had to start a franchise, by your estimation, Foles would be your choice of QB right? Right????

No. It would be Aaron Rodgers or Andrew luck.

Duh.

Nick Foles, Franchise QB? What a

When did I say nick foles was a franchise qb? That's your deal. Because Carr was performing like a typical rookie scrub, you would switch to talking about foles. Which I (and many others) couldn't understand because HE DIDNT PLAY FOR THE EAGLES AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW BADLY CARR WAS PLAYING.

Foles is your deal man. I've seen person after person here say "who cares? Foles doesn't play here anymore!" With myself being among them.

And lastly, there are a multitude of reasons foles was benched. None of them was because of your perception of arm strength (especially since you still don't know what throws foles can or can't make) or your perception of athleticism (omg who cares about his 40 time).

And one more thing, remember when you and I agreed to my bet when I made it? Because I sure as he'll don't. I'm pretty sure we were into week 5 before you even mentioned it.

Also, you continue to not even add all of the things about the bet. Not that that surprises me. You do seem to love to ignore things. Like the question VA has been asking you for the past month and a half.

Oh no. I want a piece of this action. But I'm gonna hold rstarter to the (rtarded) beliefs he held when this dude was drafted.

I'll take whatever avatar you want, and you'll do the same from me.

Derek Carr has to finish the season with.....

1) better than a 2-1 td -int ratio.
2) a top 10 ypa
3) while playing the majority of 9 or more games
4) and he "leads the team" to 7 wins or more.

If he gets injured, all bets are off.

And when I say "leads the team" I mean, he needs to be the driving force to the teams victory. That means if he plays like ****, but has the game-winning drive, he gets credit for it. If he performs like Carrbage and his team wins 13-10 and the only td they get is off a turnover, he gets no credit for it.

Shouldn't be that hard for "Arod but better". Why not? These weren't even HALF of the ridiculous standards you held Nick Foles to. You're getting off lightly.

Still missing the rest of the bet parameters.

Where's your post agreeing to that bet also?

Wait.... Didn't we go through this already?

Hmmm....

That sounds like a good description.

Well I know what I'm NOT looking for is.....

- Qb throws for over 350 yards and leads team to a comeback victory but has a few turnovers.

- qb leads team to a go ahead score but defense allows a game winning score.

- qb throws for over 400 yds and 2 Tds but defense allows over 40 points in a loss.

- qb leading team to ANY victory over a team with sub .500 record.

- qb hsving an insanely good game vs a bad team. Like 7td passes in a game or something.

- qb completing td passes to wide open receivers.

The rest.

Dude, the ball is in motion. You better hope that Carr doesn't win three more games the rest of the season. I gotchu.

27ba76384734b784057ce2bb1a96a1c7.300x169

Let's see, and I quote (emphasis mine):

"I'll take whatever avatar you want, and you'll do the same from me."

I'm sorry. Maybe I didn't emphasize.

When did we agree to the bet?

By "when" I mean what date.

And by "we" I mean, when did we both agree to whatever. Because, again, you keep failing to post all the parameters I even set. Which means we didn't agree to anything.

You're a spineless coward.

Your mom is a spineless coward.

I posted those parameters in august. Before the season even began.

When do you even respond to it?

I'm sorry. Maybe I didn't emphasize.

When did we agree to the bet?

By "when" I mean what date.

And by "we" I mean, when did we both agree to whatever. Because, again, you keep failing to post all the parameters I even set. Which means we didn't agree to anything.

Your mom is a spineless coward.

I posted those parameters in august. Before the season even began.

When do you even respond to it?

Look at this silly dude trying to argue the meaning of "we" in his (feeble) attempt to weasel out of a wager he entered. Like I said, things are in motion. Holla @ your boy Bored as well let him know a change is a'brewin'.

You guys are going to get this thread locked. The conversation stopped being constructive a long time ago.

rstarter, on 20 Aug 2015 - 2:37 PM, said:

Back to the original wager. I hear y'all on the passer rating argument, but if I may I'd agree to the following stipulations:

I "win" if

1) Derek Carr is in the top 12 in TDs thrown, and

2) Derek Carr is in the top 1/2 in passer rating.

"Top half in passer rating?"

To which I replied on that same day....

Stop running up in here with that wack ****.

I was promised a guy who would put Andrew luck to shame.

Ok. Here we have..... On November 2......

neal_c60, on 10 Sept 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

Bumped to prep for another season, and yet another Carr crash...

Yup!!

Greg Garrity, on 20 Aug 2015 - 7:58 PM, said:

Yeah. He put a lot of air under that deep ball. To drop it in the bucket. And the fact that he did it PERFECTLY should show you that he can complete the long ball. But you're an idiot so.....

I mean damn.... We've been over the "too much air"vs "on a rope" stuff too. A diagram was even perfectly constructed to show that throwing the deep ball the way foles does not only gives the defender less of a chance to deflect the pass but also shows how big an he has because the ball travels more air yards as it drops in to the receiver.

You've just never gotten over that because for some reason, watching a flat ball on a deep pass gives you a hard-on.

Doesn't matter if it's a seam route or a fade; Foles throws them all the same.

rstarter, on 17 Aug 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

Guys top 1/2 of QBs is too doable an expectation. Why don't you come up with a worthy goal, with something tangible to wager on, and I'll be game.

Pick your poison.

Bored, on 17 Aug 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

The same thing as you. Changing the handle to something like "DerekCarrisGreat" for 2016.

Greg Garrity, on 17 Aug 2015 - 11:46 PM, said:

Oh no. I want a piece of this action. But I'm gonna hold rstarter to the (rtarded) beliefs he held when this dude was drafted.

I'll take whatever avatar you want, and you'll do the same from me.

Derek Carr has to finish the season with.....

1) better than a 2-1 td -int ratio (15/3 so.... )

2) a top 10 ypa (Still have some games remaining, but check).

3) while playing the majority of 9 or more games (Almost there...check)

4) and he "leads the team" to 7 wins or more. (Almost there)

If he gets injured, all bets are off.

And when I say "leads the team" I mean, he needs to be the driving force to the teams victory( ). That means if he plays like ****, but has the game-winning drive, he gets credit for it. If he performs like Carrbage and his team wins 13-10 and the only td they get is off a turnover, he gets no credit for it.

Shouldn't be that hard for "Arod but better". Why not? These weren't even HALF of the ridiculous standards you held Nick Foles to. You're getting off lightly.

You're still game???

To which I replied.....

Absolutely. Because by my count (and your retarded standards) he's "lead" the raiders to 1 victory. Yes. The raiders have won 4 games. But one of your problems with foles was how he performed against good defenses. Well so far, Carr has faced only two. Everybody else has been a bottom feeder.

So it looks like I agreed to the bet. And it also looks like there's no way I can lose because we're going by your rtarded standards to Foles.

So now (lol) we have to take into account how many Tds were wide open guys, how many were screen passes: how many wins were against top 5 defenses, how many Tds were many by the defense and how many short fields Carr was given.....

L

M

A

O

Poor rstarter. You're a victim of your own bias. I actually went through every page after #100 trying to see if I really was wrong. And it looks like I was! Lololol!

Hey, why don't you show that Rick Ross gif again.

Sit tight, and enjoy the ride guys. Btw the Raiders play the Lions. I anticipate the participation in this thread to be markedly different, seeing as how most of the detractors of Carr (who were Foles believers btw) are licking their wounds after Foles was benched for Case Keenum. Case Keenum  :-)